As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I was always a fool for my Johnny, and FALLOUT: NEW VEGAS

jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
edited October 2010 in Social Entropy++
It's out now what are you waiting for buyyy itttt.

SPOILERS OR DIE and label your spoilers please.

FALLOUT is a classic video-gaming series franchise set in a post-apocalyptic alternate future. You shoot things and talk to people and shoot things. It is known for its crazy weapons and insane battles with nuclear explosions and its dark sense of humor about nuclear bombs and radiation and mutants and 1950s-era utopian optimism.

This time Fallout: New Vegas takes place in a bombed out Las Vegas only it's not that bombed out so I guess there's still blackjack and hookers. Plus mutants.

You can buy it for PC and gaming-toys like the ShitBox and the GayStation but buy it for PC because you get access to the console (you can cheat) and there will probably be awesome mods that people make and you can download them and that totally rules so you will want that. Plus videogame-toy boxes are for children. You're not a children are you?

Depending on where you pre-order it from (if you swing that way) you get access to different in-game "rewards" but again buy it for PC because then you can cheat and /give yourself anything you want with the console (I think that's true but who knows buy the PC version anyway).

This is the trailer. (warning, may contain content)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_-6ymuk9i4

They also have a whole U-tube virtual internet-web "channel" with lots of developer blogs and diaries and go here and watch all that crap: http://www.youtube.com/bethesdasoftworks WAYNE FUCKING NEWTON.

The Wikia is here: http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Portal:Fallout:_New_Vegas
Now that the game's out I expect it to start filling up.
The FAQ is particularly worth reading: http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout:_New_Vegas_FAQ
WARNING the above may contain spoilers.. naturally.

FALLOUT: NEW VEGAS is a totally NEW game, not an expansion/DLC for Fallout 3, though it is based on the FO3 engine. It was created by a whole new team - which is actually composed of a lot of the orginal members of the FALLOUT 2 team, and the aborted FO3 "Van Buren" project at Interplay before it was shut down. Fallout: New Vegas is a whole new story and does not use any of the story or characters from Fallout 3 - except possibly as homage and stuff.. but you won't need to play FO3 (or 2 or 1..) to know what's going on.

==FIXES==
What, you didn't think an Obsidian game would be released without wacky fun-bugs did you?

- If you are playing on 360 make sure you "clear your cache" - instructions in the last link here, below. I've also heard it helps to save and quit and turn off your 360 every few hours. Apparently it's a problem with memory fragmentation (the 360 has less RAM than your cell phone probably).

- PC, if you experience slowdowns when there are many NPCs on screen, try this:
Cabezone wrote: »
Anyone on Windows Vista or 7 should check this out, it fixes the poor GPU utilization:

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1123460-potential-fix-for-npc-slowdown/
Direct file link in case that thread gets lost: http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=34778
*Confirmed, this works like a charm. Put the .dll file in your steam folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\fallout new vegas) for me on Windows 7 x64.

- PC/NVIDIA users, if you have slowdown in outdoor areas, particularly around water, try this:
Load the launcher, Options, Advanced button (next to High, Ultra, under Default), go to the "Water" tab and turn "Water Multisampling" (the last rollout) down to "LOW". Save options and quit the launcher, then quit and restart Steam (very important, see below).

- If you have crashes or other problems when trying to use VATS and you have Nvidia video card, turn off AA (antialiasing) or HDR. Nvidia doesn't play nice with AA + HDR both enabled. (This is an ooold fucking bug from Oblivion ffs...)

- PC, if you have bad sound stuttering or sound is WAY out of sync with the visuals/action, remove "FFDSHOW" from your system, or disable it somehow.

- PC-Steam savegame problem *this issue has been fixed as of the 2nd patch, quick/auto saves now work normally*
old bug:
It appears Quick saves and Auto saves DO NOT WORK properly! DO NOT RELY ON QUICK/AUTOSAVES, make your own saves. It's a bug [strike]with the steam clouds or something, needs patch[/strike] - apparently it has nothing to do with steam clouds... they are just BROEK. They will work within the same session (ie you quicksave, then you die, and reload your quicksave - it will work, but if you quit the game and reload it later, the quicksave gets overwritten with an older one).

- Also PC-Steam issue, if it's not saving your graphic settings when you change them, quit out of Steam completely and restart it.

Here's more tips and fixes and crap, have not tried or verified anything here, YMMV, FWIW, FYI:
(does have instructions for clearing your cache on 360)
Dux wrote: »
Here's a site with workarounds and such for problems some people might have with the pc version of the game, which I nicked from the G+T thread.

jwalk on

• Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I just pre-ordered NV from GAME literally a few hours back

I do so hope it arrives on the 22nd

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I am excited for this

are there any major gameplay changes or will it be the same but with different locations/weapons?

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I heard Felicia Day is in this and like everyone else on the internet, I am obsessed with her for some nebulous reason so I will buy ten copies and masturbate to her character daily.

Felicia Day is mai waifu.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    i pre-ordered a copy the other day

i'm excited to play this

mully on
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I've had this preordered for like 6 months. I'm excited..but only moderately. Obsidian has burnt me before

Bucketman on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    felicia day is kinda pretty I guess

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    DeicistDeicist Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm struggling a bit financially at the moment, and have no graphics card since mine exploded on me a couple of months back.... and I just fucking know this game is going to make me spend money I don't have on a new card to play it.

Fuck you Fallout 3: New vegas. Fuck you in your beautiful face.

Deicist on
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    so excited for this

so excited

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I haven't followed the development that closely but I expect quite a few changes to the gameplay and the interface and whatnot seeing as it's a whole new team. That said I don't expect them to stray too far from the sucessful formula... and the UI could use some cleaning up anyway IMO.

jwalk on
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I know nothing
    I haven't even watched the trailer

all I know is
    fallout 3 engine + obsidian

it's a hell of a gamble

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    jwalk on
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    fuck I don't care if they do somehow manage to make it KOTOR 2 the return. It's still going to be more Fallout 3 with Obsidian writing! :D

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    taketheblacktaketheblack Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Still boring and soulless?

taketheblack on
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    only if you're dumb

seriously, soulless?

yeah you're dumb.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    If you preorder from amazon, you get a $10 vidjagame certificate and release date delivery was 99 cents when I ordered. So very excited

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    lostwords wrote: »
    If you preorder from amazon, you get a $10 vidjagame certificate and release date delivery was 99 cents when I ordered. So very excited

Not for PC! :(

captaink on
  • Options
    SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    i got punch things in the demo with leather boxing gloves

sold

Squall on
  • Options
    SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Man, I haven't even beat fallout 3 yet.

Really need to fix my PC.

Sticks on
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I can't afford this game

and I put over 250 hours into F3 :(

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    MereHappenstanceMereHappenstance Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Waiting for this game to take over my life.

Just. a. few. more. days.

MereHappenstance on
  • Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    hopefully i get my paymoney in time for this

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Pre-ordered this like mooooonths ago.

I'm gonna make a blog in the next couple of days to write about my adventures in as well as some of my previous wacky hijinks from Fallout 3. I'll post the link here if anyone is interested. I know at least Mulls is.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    felicia day is kinda pretty I guess

For a girl, yeah

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    only if you're dumb

seriously, soulless?

yeah you're dumb.

I saw a mudcrab yesterday

taketheblack on
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    only if you're dumb

seriously, soulless?

yeah you're dumb.

I saw a mudcrab yesterday

Filthy creatures.

Goodbye.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm very uncertain about Fallout 3. I loved the sense of danger and loneliness, but it didn't take long to pretty much become an unstoppable god, and then the game lost almost all appeal to me.

Maybe I'll try this game, but probably not.

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Jordyn wrote: »

I'm gonna make a blog in the next couple of days to write about my adventures in as well as some of my previous wacky hijinks from Fallout 3. I'll post the link here if anyone is interested. I know at least Mulls is.

it

because I won't be able to get it right away

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    MaceraMacera UGH GODDAMMIT STOP ENJOYING THINGSRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm very uncertain about Fallout 3. I loved the sense of danger and loneliness, but it didn't take long to pretty much become an unstoppable god, and then the game lost almost all appeal to me.

well, a lot of mods do make it more like 1 and 2

I know it's not the same as it being like that right out of the box, but it's something

Macera on
    xet8c.gif
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I heard Felicia Day is in this and like everyone else on the internet, I am obsessed with her for some nebulous reason so I will buy ten copies and masturbate to her character daily.

Felicia Day is mai waifu.

hold up hold up I got something hilarious re: this

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    there's hardcore mode and stuff in new vegas, and I think they're going to try to make the difficulty stay a bit more even for longer

Cojones wrote: »
    C2B wrote: »
    Cojones wrote: »
    They clearly didn't just pick her because everyone has an e-crush on her (even though we totally do)

Any appreciation for Ms Day died when she pronounced Planescape: Torment as PlaneTscape: Torment, claiming that it was her favourite game. Totally not that pretty, too.

1. Is questionable
    2. Is totally untrue. She IS that pretty
    3. She has an amazing voice so. :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id23nVuO5U0#t=7m19

It's at around 8.40. She goes on to make a series of factual errors regarding the game(TNO is a "jerk" and she doesn't normally roleplay evil, she mentions that you have amnesia before likely forgetting what the rest of the game is about and changes the subject, talks about how you can go through the whole game only ever using dialogue etc).

"As long as we can play a girl because I belieeeve that you can play a guy in that which...I like being a girl"

Come on...can you seriously say that you don't see significantly better looking women just walking down the street every single day? The cynic in me has me believe that she's not really a geek at all, and just warmed up to it just to carve out her own little niche.

L|ama on
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I like Felicia Day well enough. She was pretty funny in The Guild.

But yeah it kind of annoyed me when she was presented as the nerd goddess or whatever.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    Wrench N RocketsWrench N Rockets Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Someone get me excited about this game.

I've played the shit out of FO1 and 2, and I played FO3 a ton, right up the DLC...then never played again.

Wrench N Rockets on
    sig_lambo.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I'm far more tempted to blame nerds for that than her

same thing with olivia munn on the daily show actually, everyone was all "oh my god she's so AWFUL" and to me, having never really seen her on anything else, she just seemed pretty much the same as all the other correspondents when they started.

L|ama on
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I don't think she's at fault. It was probably the usual gamer wankery/backlash cycle that occurs with above average women who may be somehow involved with some sort of technology.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    can't wait

can't wait

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Options
    JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Crashmo wrote: »
    Jordyn wrote: »

it

because I won't be able to get it right away

k

I'll settle on a name this weekend and get it up before Monday and post a couple Fallout 3 stories right away maybe.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Felicia Day is Joan Holloway's plain, flat chested sister.

taketheblack on
  • Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Macera wrote: »

well, a lot of mods do make it more like 1 and 2

I know it's not the same as it being like that right out of the box, but it's something

I played the 360 version, so maybe I'm partly to blame.

But games shouldn't need mods to be good.

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
  • Options
    WallhitterWallhitter Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Someone get me excited about this game.

I've played the shit out of FO1 and 2, and I played FO3 a ton, right up the DLC...then never played again.

You can hire a ghoul gunslinger-turned-mechanic voiced by Danny fucking Trejo to help you out.

Wallhitter on
  • Options
    SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I like Felicia Day well enough. She was pretty funny in The Guild.

But yeah it kind of annoyed me when she was presented as the nerd goddess or whatever.

the guild was genuinely terrible and the only thing close to a redeeming feature was that guy who's always cooking bacon

bacon is great

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
This discussion has been closed.