As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

(Doodle) star (NSFW)

• Options
    D-RobeD-Robe Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    That's a pretty cool thing, wasser.

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    wasser did you know that today scientists proved that you are in fact the best thing
    lyrium wrote: »
    That face really does not match the rest of the drawing, Tam.

hahaha, yeah, I know
    I had a cartoon face lying around and just pasted it there because I didn't feel like drawing a head

Tam on
  • Options
    jpegjpeg ODIE, YOUR FACE Scenic Illinois FlatlandsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I ain't too good at this doodling thing today

his waist is pretty low?
    sb169hariseldon.jpg
    sb170needles.jpg

jpeg on
    so I just type in this box and it goes on the screen?
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Thanks guys <3

The type is just a place holder, but I like the word PANIC! which I think Ill keep.
    colbertflagg.jpg

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    r-jasperr-jasper Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    WIP

twhwip_by_ryan_artwhore-d311yo7.jpg

is it clear enough?

r-jasper on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Heart brain? I'm sure it'll become clearer as you move along.

Mustang on
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Toad has some color... eh, needs work.
    tartoadcopy.jpg

EDIT: Woah that's big.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    MangoesMangoes Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    GOOD LORD WASS.

You make everyone else who has ever arted look bad.

(no offense to the other arters)

Mangoes on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Well you didn't just have to go and say it like that Mango. Excuse me....I have something in my eye...

Mustang on
  • Options
    MangoesMangoes Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Well I mean, it was a step down from what Tam said. Though I can't say I disagree with him (because it's science).

Don't feel bad, though. You're...up there.

(HAPPYFACE)

Mangoes on
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Sorry for the flood 'o images. Done I think.

colbertflaggfin.jpg

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    MufasaJoeMufasaJoe Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I think Colbert would be holding a bald eagle in his other hand. Or something equally over the top.

P.S. That rules.

MufasaJoe on
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Agree with MufasaJoe about the eagle. If you decide work on the concept more, definately do a more 'epic' and stronger pose for Colbert. And add some other iconic cliche US symbols in the backgground.
    Man, that hand holding the flag looks freaking awesome.

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    r-jasperr-jasper Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    aniGAYtion!

remotegrab.gif

thoughts?

r-jasper on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Been a little over a month sionce i worked on this painting.

The update is on the right.

I updated it by making the sky a little more realistic, with a gradual gradient, rather than a highly saturated yellow. Plus i added more 'earthly' colours and more sunset tones to the rocks and sands.

2rh21c4.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Not so sure how I feel about these at the moment...

The idea is that after an adventurer kills a dragon, they might make these with its remains. These items would be in sort of a classic high fantasy setting, for a lawful good character (at least how I see it).

dragonslayerequipment01.jpg

Any protips on making the scales look better? And the little red blobs on the weapons are supposed to be vials of dragon blood. (Which they do not look like atm, clearly.) HEELP?

Sublimus on
  • Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    man theres some great stuff on these pages

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    thejazzmanthejazzman Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Been a little over a month sionce i worked on this painting.

The update is on the right.

I updated it by making the sky a little more realistic, with a gradual gradient, rather than a highly saturated yellow. Plus i added more 'earthly' colours and more sunset tones to the rocks and sands.

2rh21c4.jpg

Does it not bother you that in the previous doodle thread, people pointed out all these major things that were holding this back from ever looking right (such as for example, why on earth is the ocean that colour). I see with a lot of your stuff, your response to criticism is ''wow, great crits, i'll get on it!'' and then you just put more detail into exactly what you had before.

It's kind of like. I'm an animator so I'll talk about it in those terms. It's kind of like you keep making animations with the wrong poses and timing, but regardless of what crits you get, you just keep trying to make the spacing better and add noise and secondary motion to the characters. Or like, in 3D sculpting, it's like you don't really pay any attention to your lowest subdivision mesh, and you go strait to 8 million polys and you're worrying about doing all the creases and wrinkles when the overall shape of the sculpt is preventing it from looking good/right.

thejazzman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    streeverstreever Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Nanaki wrote: »
    Flay wrote: »
    Nanaki wrote: »
    I'm really hating how much more saturated everything is becoming after I transfer it over from my tablet. Anyone have any suggestions on how I might deal with this?

Wait, transferring from your tablet? o_O

In any case, I know photoshop has a selection of pre-determined swatches to choose from - I don't just mean the default swatches, look in the menu for the other colour selections, things like the Pantone* colours. You can use these presets to check what a particular colour looks like on one screen, then use the same setting on whatever it is that you're drawing on.

*These are also notable for not using the typical method of mixing CMYK inks to get the desired colour, but instead are sold premixed, so you can be certain what colour will come out, no matter which printer you are using. You probably don't need to know this though...

Yeah I was fortunate enough to go 50/50 on a Wacom Cintiq12WX for my birthday, and everything I do on it looks so much better (color-wise) than my regular monitor. But, that's a good idea with the checking back and forth between screens before I start. Maybe I'll even just start using my tablet for inking and then switch back to the monitor for the coloring.

I also checked help/advice it was suggested to someone with a similar problem that they get a Pantone HueyPro, so maybe I'll do that as well. It'll hopefully get both my screens on the same page.

nanaki,
    I suspect it is because your monitor and your wacom have different color values--I would play with the physical settings on your LCD until it looks closer to your wacom, but be prepared to be disappointed--it may simply not be high enough quality to ever look as good as the wacom! (Sorry!)

streever on
  • Options
    thejazzmanthejazzman Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    r-jasper wrote: »
    aniGAYtion!

thoughts?

When he first puts his hand in, the pocket bulges after a large unexplained delay at the bottom, but then it bulges up to the top without any other movement happening which looks weird. The shape and position of the arms is slightly confusing, at points the elbow joint seems to flip and it's quite sporadically spaced in it's motions. I feel like since you aren't worrying about the rest of the body, you're not really concentrating on how the actual body mechanics of it are working. Did you use any reference for this?

The spacing on 15, 16, 17 (where his hand gets massive for a single frame to indicate it's closer to the camera or whatnot. You're really not selling this b/c the 1 frame with a giant hand isn't supported by the surrounding frames. You jump into the effect so abruptly that most people's eyes will register it as a strange motion blur. If you look at frame jump between 16 and 17, his hand goes from 'fingers all in an arc, no thumb' to 'arm/hand is now perfectly strait, at a completely different angle, with all the fingers in a new position'. It's impossible to sell that motion over 1 frame and having that tiny 1 frame bounce afterwards isn't really helping.

You have a similar issue at the beginning, the hand goes from well outside the pocket, to inside (with no bulge, beginning the pocket inconsistencies). And note at this point, where is the shoulder? flip between frames 2 and 3 (im calling the first frame 0). Think about where the shoulder is on each of those frames and you'll understand why it feels so weird. Then frame 4 and the shoulder has gone strait back again and NOW we get a bulge but our eyes have no reason for why there's a bulge now and there wasn't before.

If you watch how you're selling the idea of the rummaging (forgetting about the bulging b/c I would say the inconstancy is stopping it from saying much at all), it's pretty much all being done via the position of the forearm and bicep. But you're not getting the impression that the arm is being moving around exploring the pocket, it's more like it's being thrown side to side by the shoulder, b/c the arm is staying strait for that whole period of time (around 8 frames).

That's all I'll write for now, ppl prob don't want an essay every time they post a gif.

thejazzman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    thejazzman wrote: »
    Does it not bother you that in the previous doodle thread, people pointed out all these major things that were holding this back from ever looking right (such as for example, why on earth is the ocean that colour). I see with a lot of your stuff, your response to criticism is ''wow, great crits, i'll get on it!'' and then you just put more detail into exactly what you had before..

I plan to keep the ocean green. I will add highlights and reflection colour tones from the sky, but the majority of it will remain that green colour. Right or wrong, its a choice that i've been pretty set on since starting this painting.

BOTP
    r-jasper wrote: »
    aniGAYtion!

remotegrab.gif

thoughts?

Sublimus wrote: »
    Not so sure how I feel about these at the moment...

The idea is that after an adventurer kills a dragon, they might make these with its remains. These items would be in sort of a classic high fantasy setting, for a lawful good character (at least how I see it).

dragonslayerequipment01.jpg

Any protips on making the scales look better? And the little red blobs on the weapons are supposed to be vials of dragon blood. (Which they do not look like atm, clearly.) HEELP?

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    this was difficult. super boring but I wanted to try not using lines for once

sb171yokidcolors.jpg

jpeg on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    It's pretty good J, the only thing is there is a kink in his arm just below the t-shirt line (on the left hand side) that makes it look like his elbow. Which wouldn't be a problem except that it would give him ridiculously long forearms.

Mustang on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2010
    webpupbrown.jpg
    webpupgray.jpg

Still working on the gray variation and I have to color the cat.

Iruka on
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited October 2010
    haha, awww.

I can't look at that and not imagine it animating, with the features of his face sort of subtly flopping and bouncing around as he moves. :o

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    D-RobeD-Robe Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Those pupils/irides are giving me a tunnel vibe, as if they're holes leading into empty, soulless darkness.
    Other than that, totally adorable.

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
  • Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    iruka, that is FUCKING CUTER THAN SHIT

wakkawa on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2010
    Hahaha, wakk I appreciate the extreme reaction, I was aiming for cuter than shit. D-robe, maybe I'll tweak the eyes, I have a weird love for flat, lightless pupils. I probably need to get over it, it creeps people out. But I mean, I'm pretty sure puppies can steal souls with cuteness.

Animating this guy may be something I do.

Iruka on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    wakkawa wrote: »
    iruka, that is FUCKING CUTER THAN SHIT

That's not really saying a lot.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I don't know about you, but I poop fluffy clouds and piss rainbows.

I also have a new internet friend!
    'mariyumi.JPG

wakkawa on
  • Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    i sketched a joan

joansketch.png

mully on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    way to make yourself look like a pedo, wakk

mully, I don't think her boobs are nearly rude enough

Tam on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    wait really?

I just wanted to draw something cute :(

wakkawa on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    The eyes are fantastic, sexy as hell.

Mustang on
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Sublimus, the tang on that blade made me instantly think "master sword." I'm not sure if that's a bad thing, but I think that it is. Try something else.

Wakk she's adorable, but I think we need more background than "I have a new internet friend"

Iruka. Ugh. If that were a plushie, I would buy it in a heatbeat. Submit that to...what the hell's that site that makes toys? Do it so I can buy it.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    wakkawa wrote: »
    wait really?

I just wanted to draw something cute :(

Maybe it's cute little girl + "internet friend" + guy who typically draws really hot girls

I dunno, I thought it looked super adorable.

Fugitive on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Felt like drawing pooh today, I dunno

5JrY2.jpg

v5VqU.jpg

ZMJho.jpg

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    throwing borderline random colors and textures on doodles isn't really the best idea

I am trying to post stuff just to make myself draw more

sb172lady.jpg

jpeg on
  • Options
    GurtPerkGurtPerk Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Couple pre-pro paintings I'm doing for some upoming 3D projects:

devilcomps04.jpg

quadcomp03.jpg

GurtPerk on
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Tam wrote: »
    way to make yourself look like a pedo, wakk