As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ignored Posts Using Pop-ups?

mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
So I have Raneados on my ignore list. Everyone does, I know. The weird thing is that occasionally when I click to view his posts they appear as pop-ups (which is annoying because Firefox automatically blocks them) and I don't have any kind of setting to turn that on. It happens randomly and, like I said, neither Firefox nor these forums are set to open posts as pop-ups. I'm not moving the 'view ignored post' button to create a new window, either-and it'll happen with one post but not another one on the same page. I don't know if this is a glitch or intentional so I posted it here just in case.

mensch-o-matic on

• Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Do you have noscript by any chance? If you have yahooapis.com blocked it has that effect, though I have no idea why it would only happen sometimes.

Also, someone has a greasemonkey script in their signature that auto-clicks the show post link, but I can't remember who it was. Anyone else remember?

Smasher on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I don't have noscript, though after disabling Greasemonkey one of the posts that popped up went back to normal.

Of course, after I re-enabled it the pop-ups didn't return, either, so I doubt its Greasemonkey.

mensch-o-matic on
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Could be being caused by getting a strange (aka non-2xx aka db error) response from the server, maybe?

I'm curious, if you see it happening again, what you'd see if you told firefox to not block them.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Just as an FYI, this seems to happen for me only when I have a tab/window open with a thread he's posted in, and I've got Firefox (well, SeaMonkey, actually) saving my session. Basically, it seems like when Firefox loads the previous session, it doesn't properly reload whatever code makes the View Post link work as intended. When you DO allow the "popup," it loads his specific post rather than showing the post in the original page, as it should. This is probably why mensch-o-matic said it only happens with one post on the page-- likely, going back to the original thread after viewing the "pop-up" refreshes the window enough that the code works properly. Somehow.

Basically, I'm not sure WHY it does this to begin with, but I can tell you that, for me, simply refreshing the page each time (good ol' F5) fixes the problem. I think this is really more a Firefox problem rather than something to do with the forums themselves, though it's only shown up now due to Raneados getting auto-ignored. Anyway, there's my input. This may be a non-issue soon enough... or possibly never, depending on when Tube stops thinking it's funny!

Edit: Oh yeah, I don't have Greasemonkey at all, by the way.

Essee on
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I came here to make a "why is Raneados on my ignore list" thread

it's not just me?

how do I fix it I love Raneados

EDIT: oh
    Essee wrote: »
    possibly never, depending on when Tube stops thinking it's funny

now that I get it, it is actually pretty funny

Captain K on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2010
    Doesn't everyone get ignored when they hit 100,000 posts?

I think it happened to TFS and maybe Tube.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited October 2010
    I don't have 100 000 posts.

Tube on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    100,000 is the number of people on Tube's list though. That list.

Also Rorus I think you mean TFS and Shoe.

Henroid on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2010
    I must have confused the time Tube banned himself with some other event.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    ...I didn't ban myself either.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Might wanna take a gander at this page Rorus

And I think Essee's explanation makes the most sense! If I see it again in Chrome I'll report it

mensch-o-matic on
  • Options
    NartwakNartwak Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    when I click to view his posts
    Well there's yer problem right there. One hundred thousand posts; thinkin' about it, haven't you already read what he's had to say? I'm bettin' you have!

Nartwak on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I'll give you a hint, it's always "pay attention to meeeeeee"

Tube on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    People don't write user scripts for you if you don't have something worth saying.

He posts gems. He is a deep and vast vein of quality insights.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I'll take your word for it.

Tube on