As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MINECRAFT: Of supercities and flammable hobbits. RAPTURE video in 2nd post.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Davoid wrote: »
    Kileak wrote: »
    nuka wrote: »
    So who the hell is davewave?

He just shows up on our server all confused, doesn't listen to us when we tell him what's going on and then just gets pissy and demands to be made a mod and just acts like an ass all around. Is he normally like that?

Lmao....Dave is one of our regulars....i take it you kicked him? :P

Davewave is the best person to ever wander into the SE++ server. He is our favouritttteee.

He should migrate to our server. Forever.
    I've been on the server almost every day for like a month now and I've never even seen this guy's name before.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Once the movie is done can we get a new map and isometric? Particularly the isometric 'cause I want to see how my air temples look.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    vernes wrote: »
    A rapture movie on Ein's server?
    Why do I have to read about these great projects while at work!?
    ARGH! I wanne go home and log in D:

And here's me who has to work pretty much all the time missing out on such great projects. Oh well :(

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • Options
    EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Jaunty wrote: »
    When do we get to see this movie
    it sounds like it will be awesome

It will be awesome. I am, however, learning Premiere as I go. Right now, the thing that's taking the most time for me is syncing music up to what's happening in the video. I could just slap bioshock music on there all randomly, but then you'd end up with weird shit like orchestral horror-movie-esque stings while you're just going up a ladder or something, so instead I'm splicing an entire soundtrack together for this thing. I have the first, like, 5 minutes of the full 22 done. Getting some of the ingame soundeffects is really proving to be a pain, though. I got some of the Big Daddy whale noises, but I can't find the sounds like them stomping around, and I also want to get a couple lines of splicer dialogue.
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Once the movie is done can we get a new map and isometric? Particularly the isometric 'cause I want to see how my air temples look.

Yes, I will get on that. I've been waiting to see if TheBringer comes back so I can update the worldexpo server and get his google maps setup for our server finalized, but he's been missing for like a week now, so I'll just do it myself.

Ein on
  • Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I can't wait to see the movie. Looks interesting.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SwankyNinjaSwankyNinja Registered User new member
    edited October 2010
    Can I get an invite to the steam group please?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/thecrackfox

SwankyNinja on
    We're gonna rock them so hard they're gonna bleed tears, sweat blood and poop spinal fluid.
  • Options
    LoathingLoathing Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Me and a friend just started playing this this past weekend. Does multiplayer survival have damage turned off? Or did we just host a creative server by accident?

Loathing on
  • Options
    EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    There is no health tracking for players or monsters in SMP on any server, because Notch has not implemented it yet. Most things are effectively invincible, unless you light a monster on fire or drop him in lava.

Ein on
  • Options
    LoathingLoathing Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Ok cool, thanks!

Loathing on
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Man, Notch has been exceedingly reluctant to promise any sort of fix for the current major SMP bugs.

Health....won't promise anything.
    Minecarts....not sure yet.
    Duping....dares not reply.

I am not too impressed with how this update is going so far. I suppose Hell world will be cool, but I couldn't care less about biomes - I want SMP to be an actual game :?

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    MetaHybridMetaHybrid Taste defeat!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    Man, Notch has been exceedingly reluctant to promise any sort of fix for the current major SMP bugs.

I am not too impressed with how this update is going so far. I suppose Hell world will be cool, but I couldn't care less about biomes - I want SMP to be an actual game :?

Carbon, I haven't seen you on the server since we've finished Prickly Heights. Burned out?

MetaHybrid on
    3DS: 3265-5577-2211 NNID: Metahybrid
  • Options
    BofferenBofferen Registered User new member
    edited October 2010
    if i could get an invite to the srever that would be awesome my steam name is the same as here

Bofferen on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    MetaHybrid wrote: »

Carbon, I haven't seen you on the server since we've finished Prickly Heights. Burned out?

I've poked my head in a couple of times, but yeah, sort of tired of just creative mode. I'll definitely be back for the Halloween update, even if it isn't everything we're hoping for.

CarbonFire on
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Why would people be so worried about duping though, I believe the probability of losing your item entirely is just as high. Unless people have mastered it. I've accidentally duped items, and I've lost just as many.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    TekDragonTekDragon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    I think it's awesome what you guys are doing with the mega projects, but I'm wondering if there's anyone here who does more low-key multiplayer survival games?

I'd like to try starting a game with a few guys on Alpha survival. No hacks, no cheats. Just good-old dungeon crawling in the night and fortress building during the day.

TekDragon on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So, I think my hotel in rapture is pretty much finished, I just need to do furnishings and shit (which I'll delay, since I'm not particularly good at them, nor do I enjoy them as much as building structures). Does rapture need anything in particular? I'd like to follow the will of ein and not make a building for the sake of a building, but I'm itching to start something different than that damn squat POS I've been trudging through. Maybe a commerce building of some sort? We don't need any more residences, the bar and siren's handle cafes; I'm drawing a blank to be honest.
    Don't even bother furnishing it. If you plan on actually letting real people have the rooms then they'd rather do that part themselves. I built an apartment building in Columbia, and I didn't bother furnishing the rooms. Everyone just did their own things with them.
    TekDragon wrote: »
    I think it's awesome what you guys are doing with the mega projects, but I'm wondering if there's anyone here who does more low-key multiplayer survival games?

I'd like to try starting a game with a few guys on Alpha survival. No hacks, no cheats. Just good-old dungeon crawling in the night and fortress building during the day.
    You can't. None of it works in SMP yet.

anoffday on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    anoffday wrote: »

Oh....

Shattered dreams D:

TekDragon on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Some day, though. We're only in alpha.

anoffday on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Oh....

Shattered dreams D:

Now you know why I'm so annoyed by Notch not promising those things for the next update.

@Satsumomo: It's surprisingly easy, and no, once you know how to do it you rarely lose items.

CarbonFire on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Oh....

Shattered dreams D:

It's okay, this is Minecraft. You can build new ones.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    tdewey10tdewey10 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Oh....

Shattered dreams D:

Now you know why I'm so annoyed by Notch not promising those things for the next update.

Here's hoping that the update after the HU is focused purely on turning sMP into SMP.

tdewey10 on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I wish someone would come up with an editor or *something* that worked just like normal Minecraft, only you can fly around and have an unlimited supply of blocks (basically creative mode + flying and minus the bad compatibility with the alpha version and crappy browser interface). The only 3d editor I've even found was absolutely horrible, it refused to properly stack blocks (they always wanted to go inside the ground layer -_-).

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    I wish someone would come up with an editor or *something* that worked just like normal Minecraft, only you can fly around and have an unlimited supply of blocks (basically creative mode + flying and minus the bad compatibility with the alpha version and crappy browser interface). The only 3d editor I've even found was absolutely horrible, it refused to properly stack blocks (they always wanted to go inside the ground layer -_-).

Check out World of Minecraft. I think it's basically what you just described (except Alpha compatability, but you could probably set up a WoM server, do your editing, then convert the world file in MCEdit or something).

As for the stuff about bugs... this is an alpha product. The usual dev cycle is that alpha builds are for content implementation, followed by refinement and bug-fixing in beta before regular release. Notch wants to fix the bugs, which is nice of him, but expecting him to focus on making the alpha build a solid, bug-free product instead of finishing content and gameplay programming is kind of counter to logic. I get that you paid to play it and so you want it to be everything it could be, but you effectively paid for a pre-order and get to play the buggy, half-finished demo until release. I don't mean to tell anybody off here, I just get tired of seeing all the "why aren't there friday updates?!" and "why is Notch working on new shit when he should be fixing bugs?!" posts. Everyone who paid their 10 Euro went into this knowing it was an alpha build from a one-man dev team. Expecting a rock-solid product with a (non-contractual) weekly release schedule seems silly to me.

CptHamilton on
    PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So, I got the New Poseidon Theater metro station done (other than the water ladders on the sides), as well as the three entry walkways. I think I bit off more than I can chew this time, though.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    luceklucek Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    As for the stuff about bugs... this is an alpha product. The usual dev cycle is that alpha builds are for content implementation, followed by refinement and bug-fixing in beta before regular release. Notch wants to fix the bugs, which is nice of him, but expecting him to focus on making the alpha build a solid, bug-free product instead of finishing content and gameplay programming is kind of counter to logic. I get that you paid to play it and so you want it to be everything it could be, but you effectively paid for a pre-order and get to play the buggy, half-finished demo until release. I don't mean to tell anybody off here, I just get tired of seeing all the "why aren't there friday updates?!" and "why is Notch working on new shit when he should be fixing bugs?!" posts. Everyone who paid their 10 Euro went into this knowing it was an alpha build from a one-man dev team. Expecting a rock-solid product with a (non-contractual) weekly release schedule seems silly to me.

I agree with you mostly but he's not a 1 man dev team. The company is expanding, and in fact I hear they're getting a office. That said this is a very buggy game but no more than a lot of the release titles some shovelware companies put out. The one major thing he has to fix is the security issue. Sorry but you don't sell a product where there is no protection to your consumers. As it stands every time you log in on a public server or over WIFI someone could steel your account. He needs to spend a hour or 2 to fix that and get it patched asap.

lucek on
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    lucek wrote: »

I agree with you mostly but he's not a 1 man dev team. The company is expanding, and in fact I hear they're getting a office. That said this is a very buggy game but no more than a lot of the release titles some shovelware companies put out. The one major thing he has to fix is the security issue. Sorry but you don't sell a product where there is no protection to your consumers. As it stands every time you log in on a public server or over WIFI someone could steel your account. He needs to spend a hour or 2 to fix that and get it patched asap.

Yeah, the office, company-formation, bank dealing, and hiring stuff are the reason why the friday updates stopped. All of that takes a lot of time and effort. I agree that he really should jump on the security issue. I think I recall him saying that he'd already fixed it in code, so you'd think he could just put out an updated client for that particular bit of code. I'll take whatever bug fixes he wants to do when he wants to do them, but I'd rather someone not steal my account.

CptHamilton on
    PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    From an MBA who did consulting for several start-up companies, including a 1-man team working on an open source cloud computing operating system that expanded into a 20-man team, I can assure you that getting an office, setting it up, going through all the employee interviews, contracts, and other BS, then setting out work flows for those employees takes more than a week.

I'll be impressed if he's entirely set up and pumping out code within a season.

TekDragon on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    From an MBA who did consulting for several start-up companies, including a 1-man team working on an open source cloud computing operating system that expanded into a 20-man team, I can assure you that getting an office, setting it up, going through all the employee interviews, contracts, and other BS, then setting out work flows for those employees takes more than a week.

I'll be impressed if he's entirely set up and pumping out code within a season.

He seems to be going pretty gang-busters on getting things setup, so I wouldn't be too incredibly surprised. I'd give it a month or two before he's really getting a chance to crank out more frequent major updates however.

That is unless he spends way too much time playing PvZ on the iPad :P

CarbonFire on
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    As to the bugs, he's actually said the only thing stopping him from calling this a beta is how buggy SMP is, and that he wants to get it running like single player before considering it a beta.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    So I found my first record today. Do they all sound creepy?

anoffday on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    There are only two different kinds. The other is kinda bouncy, iirc.

Houn on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Spork Farms Update!

We are filling the fields in nicely. There are only a few large gaps, and a bunch of smaller fields, but it is looking great now. The couple of 4x4 fields really help take up space.

For the Farmers/guys who help, we should concentrate on the area around the outer farmhouse and windmill. (SE I think?) That area looks like it needs to most work at the moment compared to the other directions. I'm going to take the trees that were left over from the construction of the Destroyer and turn the area they are in into a nice looking forest, so leave the trees.

I also planted a large number of sequential fields with ivy since it's easy, and they look like grape vines or fruit bushes.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    tdewey10tdewey10 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    tdewey10 on
  • Options
    Yosemite SamYosemite Sam Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Are these TNT vids all the product of hax, or is there some late game threshold where gunpowder drops from the sky with parachutes and lollipops? Maybe there are creeper dungeons that I've simply never seen? I've also never seen these slimers of which people speak. Oh where do I err.

Yosemite Sam on
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Are these TNT vids all the product of hax, or is there some late game threshold where gunpowder drops from the sky with parachutes and lollipops? Maybe there are creeper dungeons that I've simply never seen? I've also never seen these slimers of which people speak. Oh where do I err.

If you don't go out daily to 3+ creepers you're doing it wrong. On a side note Cilantr0 is coming to destroy us all.
    iMpu1.jpg

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Anybody else see this new creepypasta-esc Minecraft tale?
    adf87a1283162881610.jpg

Not particularly original, but I like this stuff. Screenshot is appropriately creepy and obscure.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Options
    pabhpabh Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    adf87a1283162881610.jpg

Not particularly original, but I like this stuff. Screenshot is appropriately creepy and obscure.

it's not new. yes we've seen it. there's a video

pabh on
  • Options
    ShrieveShrieve Game Designer CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    adf87a1283162881610.jpg

Took me a sec to finally see the guy... But D:

Shrieve on
    FkbtS.png
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    adf87a1283162881610.jpg

Is...is there a Poe's Law for trolling?

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    pabh wrote: »
    adf87a1283162881610.jpg

it's not new. yes we've seen it. there's a video

Oops, my bad.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
This discussion has been closed.