As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC audio output, or "oh my god why are there so many jacks"

LednehLedneh shinesquawkRegistered User regular
Seriously, I'm confused!

I just got a digital receiver (a yamaha HTR-3063), and since I had an optical audio cable laying around I decided to try to get my PC to output by that since the receiver doesn't have any minijack inputs.

Lo and behold, I'm getting no sound even though I have the receiver set right and Windows shows the Digital Audio (S/PDIF) Device levels peaking when I play audio.

Now, I just put in the above as some background--this thread isn't a support request, I'll get this figured out. Rather, this thread is a "what the fuck?" thread. My motherboard, being a Gigabyte P55M-UD2, has three audio options: three or four minijacks, a coax digital (orange), and optical digital. My question is, which one should I be using, why, and what do all the options gain and lose over each other?

Ledneh on

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Ledneh wrote: »
    Seriously, I'm confused!

I just got a digital receiver (a yamaha HTR-3063), and since I had an optical audio cable laying around I decided to try to get my PC to output by that since the receiver doesn't have any minijack inputs.

Lo and behold, I'm getting no sound even though I have the receiver set right and Windows shows the Digital Audio (S/PDIF) Device levels peaking when I play audio.

Now, I just put in the above as some background--this thread isn't a support request, I'll get this figured out. Rather, this thread is a "what the fuck?" thread. My motherboard, being a Gigabyte P55M-UD2, has three audio options: three or four minijacks, a coax digital (orange), and optical digital. My question is, which one should I be using, why, and what do all the options gain and lose over each other?

The multiple minijacks will give you a discrete analog channel for each speaker. It's a silly standard that for some reason still dominates on PC.

The optical and RCA don't really offer any benefits over each other...both will be digital audio at the same bit and sampling rates. Unless you have a Dolby Digital Live audio chip (which on a motherboard you almost certainly don't) these will only provide 2.0 (stereo) audio, or AC3/DTS passthrough (from DVDs and the like). But for games, stereo only (though some games, like Source engine games, will do simulated surround through headphones).

So, if you want full 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound from games, you're stuck using those minijacks (and finding a receiver that can take the 5.1/7.1 analog inputs...good luck). If you're fine with stereo sound from games, or Dolby Pro Logic sound (many media players support this, but few games do), then stick with the optical/coax out (and just choose according to whichever is more convenient given your receiver).

Now, I have no idea why you are getting no sound. First question: are you sure you have the right adapter selected? S/PDIF may be referring to either the optical or coax. I'm pretty sure that on some adapters those are each treated as a separate output. So...try the other one? If you want a quick way to check, try using the coax (any RCA cable will do) and see if you're getting sound that way. At least you'll know that's the issue.

Oh, and you don't necessarily need minijack inputs...you can get a simple minijack->RCA splitter, runs like $5 if you look around online or maybe $5-$10 at Wal-Mart. You can then hook up analog to your receiver. But if you're only doing stereo sound (and, given your receiver, you are) then you are better off sticking with the digital output...you'll get better quality (because the audio is kept as a digital bitstream until it's all the way out of your electrically noisy computer case...leading to less noise on the signal to be amplified downstream).

tl;dr: Basically, if you're going to be hooking into that receiver do it with optical or coax. You'll get stereo sound for games, or possibly surround through headphones, and surround sound for movies. This is about the best you will do without finding a receiver that takes 5.1 analog inputs, which yours does not. As for troubleshooting, try the other digital output (coax?), because sometimes they're treated as separate adapters and that might be the one that's peaking.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yeah I don't care about 5.1 or 7.1 from games, all I have speakerwise is 2.1 anyway. All I want is convenient connections.

Here's what the control panel looks like for me right now

spdif.jpg

I am playing a video in the background and have the digital output device selected, and the volume bar there is moving up and down. The only thing that's got me confused is that the Jack Information thing in the properties says it's the Combo Jack (which I guess refers to the coax); why doesn't it say the optical?

Ledneh on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Well, it worked the instant I plugged it in via coax so now I'm just completely confused.

Oh well!

(edit) And thanks for all the background info, that really helps my understanding of this asinine thing. :)

Ledneh on
  • Options
    Rigor MortisRigor Mortis Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    mcdermott wrote: »
    [
    The optical and RCA don't really offer any benefits over each other...both will be digital audio at the same bit and sampling rates.
    There is one small advantage to using coax digital rather than optical... the cables are cheaper and more durable.

Rigor Mortis on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Well, it worked the instant I plugged it in via coax so now I'm just completely confused.

Oh well!

(edit) And thanks for all the background info, that really helps my understanding of this asinine thing. :)

It's possible that either:

A) Each digital output (coax/optical) has its own device under Windows, and for whatever reason you just aren't seeing the optical one

or

B) Both jacks are provided on the back panel, but only one of the two is physically hooked up to a single output header on the motherboard. This would seem an odd choice, but I've seen it. But yeah, I figured the signal was just going to the coax for whatever reason. You can either just keep that configuration, or keep troubleshooting.
    There is one small advantage to using coax digital rather than optical... the cables are cheaper and more durable.

Oh yeah, I meant for audio quality. Yeah, I'll generally take coax over optical when I have the choice.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Hell, for all I know it was the cable--wouldn't an optical cable be more prone to damage? It was laying around a while.

Ledneh on
  • Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hell, for all I know it was the cable--wouldn't an optical cable be more prone to damage? It was laying around a while.

Optical cables break if they bend sharply but otherwise they should endure just fine.

A simple check is to see if there is light coming out of the connector on the PC and secondly light coming through the cable - this check can be done with simple looking by holding a finger in front of the cable (Don't point it into your eyes). I suppose even if there is light there could be a signal problem but if then it's more likely you send fx. 48 Khz from the PC and the receiver is not accepting it (unlikely).

There is a big upside to optical cables when connecting computer gear to music gear - there is no electrical connection. PC's are not the best environment for clean electrics and there can also be a difference in voltages causing death to your gear. It's sounds to me as if you're okay but it does happen.

BlindZenDriver on
    Bones heal, glory is forever.