As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Rule of Rose: Rat on a stick...

2»

• Options
    KarilmatKarilmat Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I picked this game up as a rental since reviews were very mixed and generally negative. However, I can deal with lousy gameplay if there's a good story, so I decided to take a chance. Also, as a big fan of the survival horror genre, I figured this game would work better for me than for the average gamer who was indifferent to the genre.

I got about 5 hours into it. About 3 hours of that was "doggie, smell this and run off and I'll follow you", which may quite possibly be the most tedious game mechanic ever created. They make this huge airship for you to wander around in, and most of it is empty or unreachable due to locked doors, and everything looks the same. The story didn't seem to progress at all, the enemies were boring, and the main character had no personality. The "bunch of freaky kids" plot devise is getting a bit tired, so that alone really didn't hold my attention.

Overall, I was very disappointed. So, I returned it and picked up Final Fantasy XII; I think I made the right choice.

Karilmat on
  • Options
    MashalotMashalot Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    THREAD RESURRECT

I found this used for not too much a while ago and finally popped it in. I am totally digging it. I don't know why I am digging it. The OP is basically right on though.

I really loved Silent Hill 2&3, and fuck, the combat is sorta weak on those too and the enemies are totally repetitive. Here the combat is even worse and the monsters even more retardo samey. So I guess it's like the bad parts of silent hill on crack.

The game controls fine, it gets disorienting when the game breaks the 180 degree rule

But the presentation is solid gold. Which I guess is the draw for silent hill too. The game looks really good.

Pretty creepy, great localization.

I have not gotten to any bosses or anything yet, just got in with the aristocrats and shit.

Very good use of dog. Better than fucking Haunting Ground.

Mashalot on