Options

The Daily Show & Colbert Report: Not intended to be a factual statement.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Guys, the Wall Street Journal Op-ed page should be taken with roughly the same seriousness as Bill O'Reilly on a bad day.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Tox wrote: »
    Was it disrespectful for Stewart to address the president using a term that’s more commonly exchanged between two college guys sharing a bong?

Really?

...really?

e: oh god, the comments section. Why did I scroll down? I didn't know! I didn't know!

I saw the first comment (well, when I had checked it) and immediately shut the browser off to protect myself. But yeah, the college guys thing really makes me want to punch a motherfucker.

I call people dude all the time. I'm not a surfer, I've never even tried smoking pot (fuck I don't even smoke cigarettes). I'm just a guy who calls people dude. In some ways it's replaced "you" for me.

Henroid on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Guys, the Wall Street Journal Op-ed page should be taken with roughly the same seriousness as Bill O'Reilly on a bad day.

Its tough paying for an education where I have now been in two classes where a WSJ op-ed is a "scholarly source"

override367 on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The bottom-line is that people actually think that shit.

Henroid on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    Who are these lucky duckies? They are the beneficiaries of tax policies that have expanded the personal exemption and standard deduction and targeted certain voter groups by introducing a welter of tax credits for things like child care and education. When these escape hatches are figured against income, the result is either a zero liability or a liability that represents a tiny percentage of income.[1]
    Say a person earns $12,000. After subtracting the personal exemption, the standard deduction and assuming no tax credits, then applying the 10% rate of the lowest bracket, the person ends up paying a little less than 4% of income in taxes. It ain't peanuts, but not enough to get his or her blood boiling with tax rage.[1]
    Pieces of shit.

Couscous on
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Couscous wrote: »
    Who are these lucky duckies? They are the beneficiaries of tax policies that have expanded the personal exemption and standard deduction and targeted certain voter groups by introducing a welter of tax credits for things like child care and education. When these escape hatches are figured against income, the result is either a zero liability or a liability that represents a tiny percentage of income.[1]
    Say a person earns $12,000. After subtracting the personal exemption, the standard deduction and assuming no tax credits, then applying the 10% rate of the lowest bracket, the person ends up paying a little less than 4% of income in taxes. It ain't peanuts, but not enough to get his or her blood boiling with tax rage.[1]
    Pieces of shit.

How many people do they think there are that make ~$12k a year and have ~$500 to spare?

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Couscous wrote: »
    Pieces of shit.

"I pay too much taxes! And the poor pay too little! Wahh!"

The fuck are they thinking?

Shadowen on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Shadowen wrote: »
    "I pay too much taxes! And the poor pay too little! Wahh!"

The fuck are they thinking?

You pretty much said it. They're thinking about themselves, not others. This is why some towns are grinding up old, paved highways and turning them back into gravel roads, instead of repairing the paving damage. Because people aren't willing to pay the extra taxes to fix the roads.

Tox on
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Jason Jones segwaying through half of the Daily Show's footage was goddamn hilarious.

ALSO SCREW THAT COMMENTS SECTION OF THAT BLOGSITE

frst three comments were from OBAMAISAMUSLIMDOUCHEBAGSCREWINGAMERICA

That's who i go to for fair and balanced commentary

Jintor on
  • Options
    xraydogxraydog Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I wonder what would happen if our tax structure were reversed. The top brackets pay no tax and the lower brackets pay the most. That would be weird. I don't think the top bracket would complain though. Everyone else would revolt.

Or how about this. For every bracket there are two tax levels, a high one and a low one. Everyone defaults to the low one where nobody complains. However you can choose to pay the high rate. How many people would elect to pay the high rate. None? What if there were an incentive? Like a free EZPass or something?

Or how about we hunt people for sport? That would be great. Anything to get people to shut up about taxes I'm so sick of this argument.

xraydog on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    xraydog wrote: »
    I wonder what would happen if our tax structure were reversed. The top brackets pay no tax and the lower brackets pay the most. That would be weird. I don't think the top bracket would complain though. Everyone else would revolt.

Or how about this. For every bracket there are two tax levels, a high one and a low one. Everyone defaults to the low one where nobody complains. However you can choose to pay the high rate. How many people would elect to pay the high rate. None? What if there were an incentive? Like a free EZPass or something?

Or how about we hunt people for sport? That would be great. Anything to get people to shut up about taxes I'm so sick of this argument.

Given that would make the lower brackets unable to live, I would imagine we'd be in a great depression five minutes from a "drag the rich out of their mansions and murder them" scenario

Seriously progressive taxation is more than just the best way to create wealth for everyone

override367 on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    "You don't create wealth by taking money from the wealthy! WARGLBLARGH!"

Tox on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    "You don't create wealth by taking money from the wealthy! WARGLBLARGH!"

Scrooge McDuck disagrees.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    you take money from the less wealthy (the working rich) and give it to the more wealthy (the millionaires)

Then you take money from them and give it to the even more wealthy!

override367 on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    So, in the interest of keeping the thread on topic from here on out, I'm about to edit in this discussion rule into the OP (and also alert a couple mods just because it helps):

Talking about things that are discussed / made fun of on the shows is fine, up until the next episode airs. At that point, I'd really prefer that discussions be taken to a new thread if they really are so lively. Overall though if you guys really want to engage a current topic without the input granted from the shows, I'd prefer if they were taken to appropriate threads to begin with. As for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, that's just a grab-bag of whatever you want to talk about from the previous week.

Deal?

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, the thread's bound to stray a bit over weekends and break weeks, but it seems to stay OT pretty well during new episodes.

Tox on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Personally I don't mind extended discussions. Trying to artificially stratify it like that just seems... forced.

But I won't argue that we also are prone to drifting off topic for days at a time, and can respect that a manner to minimize or combat that might be desirable to some.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Forar wrote: »
    Personally I don't mind extended discussions. Trying to artificially stratify it like that just seems... forced.

But I won't argue that we also are prone to drifting off topic for days at a time, and can respect that a manner to minimize or combat that might be desirable to some.

Yeah that's ultimately my goal. I mean it doesn't have to be something I put in the OP, I just want to more or less ask you guys if it goes on for a long time the discussions can be new threads. I don't personally care, but it is an on-topic forum is all.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    But they should totally make a joke about Canada's Air Force, mirite?

Tox on
  • Options
    BuhamutZeoBuhamutZeo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Forar wrote: »

Yeah that's ultimately my goal. I mean it doesn't have to be something I put in the OP, I just want to more or less ask you guys if it goes on for a long time the discussions can be new threads. I don't personally care, but it is an on-topic forum is all.

It's not that big of a problem, and you're just going to get that "saved" posting space filled up by people telling other people who don't read the entire thread to stop posting bout 2-3 day old episodes, even if they do have exceptionally interesting content.

People will talk about things in here that they wouldn't in a special off-thread, just because they can always fall back to talking about the DS and the CR. I think that's the point of the shows anyway, letting people feel comfortable talking about these issues that they wouldn't normally even try to find out anything about. Besides, the show takes week long vacations at a time, not like it can stay exclusively on them 24/7.

BuhamutZeo on
    MyBanner.jpg
    BRAWL: 1160-9686-9416
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    But they should totally make a joke about Canada's Air Force, mirite?

Look, we're as surprised as anybody about that...

Forar on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It's not an air force.

It's an air handwritten letter of request.

MKR on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    MKR wrote: »
    It's not an air force.

It's an air handwritten letter of apology.

Fixed.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    It's not an air force.

It's an air farce.

Fixed.

Learn your goddamn Canadian comedy.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    It's not an air force.

It's an air handwritten letter of apology.

Fixed.

A polite Canadian would not be so presumptuous as to need an apology.

"Better to do and apologize later than to ask and be told no" is for those boisterous Americans.

MKR on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    BETTER TO ASK FORGIVENESS THAN PERMISSION.

NOT MY CHAIR, NOT MY PROBLEM, THAT'S WHAT I SAY!

FIDILISK BARNED.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Cspan is showing the rally on the schedule that pops up before shows. Looks like you won't have to put up with commercials on Comedy Central. :rotate:

MKR on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Thoughts on the rally.
    I don't know why I'm spoilering this, but I am, just in case. Maybe for length?

The preshow was meh. Good music. I know the Mythbusters can work a crowd, but this was perhaps not their best venue.

Jon and Stephen built up some good momentum, but it seemed to be derailed by Father Guido Sarducci, whose style I think is not very well suited. Then, BAM! The Dueling Trains! I was all but rofling. I enjoyed the compromise song, too, and the OJs had a very apropos sense of attire.

The sane contrition bit was good, and just brief enough to not outstay its welcome.

Wyatt vs. Jones was awesome as always, and needled the tendency of the news media aptly.

The Medals of Reasonableness and Fear Awards were very good.

I was actually surprised how much I enjoyed Mavis Staples and Jeff Tweety. It was such a low-key song they played, bare-bones, not much to it...and yet it fit the rally so well.

P.K. Winsome was awesome as always.

Oh, poor John. He shouldn't get involved in songs. That being said, he showed willing, which was nice of him. And of course, with his difficulty finding the key at the start, Stephen didn't come off too much better. And Jon did find that high note, even if he didn't hit it.

Kid Rock's new song sounded good, I guess, and it was pretty cool that this was the first time it was being performed anywhere, but the lyrics were so..."We Are The World" it was almost laughable. Plus, the lyrics were so badly unbalanced. "I can't stop the war" "I can't walk the water" "I can't make the world fair" "I can't save your children". Okay, but "shelter the homeless, feed the poor"? I'd think a multi-millionaire would be able to do a lot more on that score than care, let alone three working together like on this song. Maybe when it's released as a single it'll do that "proceeds to charity" thing, and then it won't seem so off to me. It was nice of Sheryl Crow to do another song, generically pleasant though it was.

I was wondering when Jon would debate Stephen in Formidable Opponent. I just didn't expect it to be here. Star Trek nerdiness and surprise guest appearance by Kareem Abdul-Jabar and R2-FUCKING-D2 for the win! And Jon Oliver as Peter Pan!

Jon's last speech was great. Everything I expected.

Tony Bennett singing America the Beautiful was...Tony Bennett singing America the Beautiful. Can't complain.

And the big finale with everyone was awesome, just for the visual, let alone the sort of group-hug feeling to the song and with Mavis directing traffic.

All in all, I enjoyed it, and I was honestly astonished at how many people turned out. We're not talking Obama's inauguration, but that was a sea of humanity.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Watching the post-rally news conference, as usual it seems they'll be taking a week off at Thanksgiving.

Not that this should surprise anyone... but it always seems to, and I figured that a warning in advance might keep the bitching down to a dull roar when the break does come about.

Edit: Interplay between Jon and Stephen:

Jon: I have failed miserably in this business. And I have succeeded at

Stephen: Yes you have.

Jon: Settle down.

Stephen: Short Attention Span Theatre.

Jon: Settle Down.

Stephen: The Faculty.

Jon: ALL RIGHT!

Stephen: Death to Smoochy.

Jon: THE LIST GOES ON! I know my resume.

Forar on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Anybody have any idea if they're new tonight? TDS lists no guest, Colbert Nation lists Jonathan Alter of Newsweek, but also lists a guest tomorrow when they're live for an hour with both of them anchoring election coverage.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Nothing on the Facebook page. They're probably doing double time to prep for Tuesday and decided to kill Monday's show.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    At the press conference they had on Saturday after the rally, they commented on having a show to do today. Of course, they might've changed their minds later.

Edit: posting while distracted leads to me making the opposite point of the one I was trying to make. >.<

Forar on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    It'd be a deserved day off. Rally and preparations for a live show tomorrow.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    No, according to the post-rally presser they're both doing shows today. And long, live election coverage Tuesday.

Man, they are going to be some exhausted, loopy motherfuckers.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010
    FOX is ridiculous.

Edit: But the Bus-Car-Subarmine-Time Machine is awesome.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    FOX is ridiculous.

The Michael Steele kicker made that segment. I swear all of their writers have eidetic memories.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I loved Jon's "Yeah" after the Obama clip. Also, his head-tilt at Hannity's goofiness.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Tomanta wrote: »
    FOX is ridiculous.

The Michael Steele kicker made that segment. I swear all of their writers have eidetic memories.

They just have a really awesome database.

Specifically, Lexis Nexus.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I wonder if this guy liked his job

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
This discussion has been closed.