As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Daily Show & Colbert Report: Not intended to be a factual statement.

• Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Corehealer wrote: »
    So I guess it wasn't so bad I missed tonight's episode?

Well, its sister-show just did a segment on air-fresheners.

Slooooooow news day?

Though the Glen Beck segment on TCR was pretty great, if not just for the thought that Glen Beck might finally be off the air, soon...hopefully...

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Glenn Beck's contract ends? Oh God, if they renew him, the terms are going to be so fucked from a showbiz standpoint. :D

Henroid on
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I look forward to Jon's take on that, then. Should be excellence.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I don't know I thought the point that Stewart made about it being easier to talk about transparency when you aren't in the chair was a good one.

Not that that's the whole story but frankly I myself have become of the mind that I'll be voting Obama in 2012 because fuck if I ever vote for anyone being supported by the RNC in the near future.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Slow news day? American planes friendly-fire-bombed Libyan rebels; UN workers killed in northern Afghanistan when riots broke out over an American Qu'ran burning by motherfucking Terry Jones; US pulls support for Saleh in Yemen. Three recent events that may profoundly impact American - Muslim relations for years.

hippofant on
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Okay, well and good, but where's the funny in them? I mean, the closest I can see is likening the Saleh thing to how they were cautiously in favor of Mubarak staying in power as long as he didn't do anything violent, or calling for Gaddafi to not make the mistakes Mubarak did and listen to his people only to say "Fuck it!" and bomb him later when he turned out to be as big an asshole as we all knew he was. Of course, I'm not a comedian.

Not all news provokes a response Jon and the team can make fun of without looking like severe assholes.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    hippofant wrote: »
    Slow news day? American planes friendly-fire-bombed Libyan rebels; UN workers killed in northern Afghanistan when riots broke out over an American Qu'ran burning by motherfucking Terry Jones; US pulls support for Saleh in Yemen. Three recent events that may profoundly impact American - Muslim relations for years.

It's hard to make jokes of those things. The Daily Show is not run by Gilbert Gottfried.

Henroid on
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Henroid wrote: »

It's hard to make jokes of those things. The Daily Show is not run by Gilbert Gottfried.

This makes me want Gilbert Gottfried as a guest host

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Shadowen wrote: »
    Okay, well and good, but where's the funny in them? I mean, the closest I can see is likening the Saleh thing to how they were cautiously in favor of Mubarak staying in power as long as he didn't do anything violent, or calling for Gaddafi to not make the mistakes Mubarak did and listen to his people only to say "Fuck it!" and bomb him later when he turned out to be as big an asshole as we all knew he was. Of course, I'm not a comedian.

Not all news provokes a response Jon and the team can make fun of without looking like severe assholes.

Hey man, I'm not a comedian. I'm just saying, it was hardly a slow news day.

As for where they could find the funny, I dunno. Somehow they've routinely managed to make bigotry, war, ignorance, and imperialism funny. How about the irony of a crazed "Christian" pastor committing a violent act against a holy book to denounce the inherent violence of Islam triggering predictable violence against European and Nepalese UN workers in a previously peaceful region of Afghanistan, and possibly setting back the American efforts in Afghanistan by months if not entirely?

I'm pretty sure there's some funny there, even if it's only the funny in Jon's raging at America sabotaging itself again.

hippofant on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

This makes me want Gilbert Gottfried as a guest host

If his appearances on Howard Stern taught me anything, it's that all he'd do would be laughing at horrible stories.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Wow, Anthony Weiner brings TDS-esque commentary to the government while it is in session. Goddamn I love that guy. And that was a pretty sick burn too.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Wow, Anthony Weiner brings TDS-esque commentary to the government while it is in session. Goddamn I love that guy. And that was a pretty sick burn too.

Yeah, why can't the Dems be like that all the time. People would probably vote for them more ;-)

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    It's almost as if that middle segment was made for our comments since yesterday's episode!

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    James Franco on Colbert is the single greatest interview Colbert has had. I'm so glad it's two-segments long.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Oh god this Tolkien banter is doing it for me

Al_wat on
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I fucking LOVE James Franco/Frank Jameso

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Al_wat wrote: »

Yes. Yes.

I need to finish the Silmarillion, and this just proves it. If Stephen Colbert knows about Giladriel then shit, so should I.

So everyone, who is your favorite character in the Tolkienverse. Mine is Morgoth.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    That guy seriously bolstered himself in my favorite-celebrity list that's not actually a list at all. I was already a fan of the dude but now he's actually got some credibility in being a respectable person. :^:

Edit - I don't read, sadly, but y'know what? I should start. With Tolkien. I owe it to my nerdy-nature.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Warning: reading The Silmarillion is like reading the bible.

don't let that stop you, it didn't stop me.

Also: Beren Erchamion

Al_wat on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Well, I got way farther in the Silmarillion than in the Bible. The Silmarillion actually flows, and more importantly, makes sense as a cohesive whole.

HEYOOOOO

Lord_Asmodeus on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I think its actually more just the beginning parts of it.

I haven't read it in years, maybe I should pick it up again.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    duraxdurax Who watches the watchdogs? Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The Bible is not so bad as long as you skip Leviticus.

durax on
  • Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    durax wrote: »
    The Bible is not so bad as long as you skip Leviticus.

My Bar Mitsva Torah portion was Tazria:
    God spoke to Moses and Aaron, saying:
    If a person has a [white] blotch, discoloration or spot on the skin of his body, and it [is suspected] of being a mark of the leprous curse on his skin, he shall be brought to Aaron, or to one of his descendants, who are the priests. The priest shall examine the mark on [the person's] skin, and if the hair on the mark has turned white, and the mark appears to have penetrated the skin, then it is the leprous curse. As soon as the priest sees it, he shall declare it unclean. However, if there is a [white] spot on the skin, but it does not appear to have penetrated the skin and its hair has not turned white, then the priest shall quarantine the affected person for seven days. The priest shall examine [the person] on the seventh day and if the mark has not increased in size, the priest shall quarantine [the victim] for an additional seven days.
    The priest shall examine [him again] on the seventh day, and if the mark has faded or if it has not spread, the priest shall declare [the person] clean, since it is merely a white discoloration. [The person] must immerse [his body and] clothing, and he is then clean. However, if the white discoloration increases in size on the skin after it was shown to the priest, who purified it, [the person] must show it to the priest again. If the priest sees that the rash has increased in size on the skin, [he] shall declare [the person] unclean, since it is the leprous curse. When a person [is suspected of] having the leprous curse, he shall be brought to the priest. If the priest sees that there is a white blotch on the skin, and it has turned the hair white or that there is an area of healthy skin inside the blotch, then it is a chronic leprosy in his skin, and the priest must declare it unclean. He shall not quarantine it, since it is obviously unclean. [This is the law] if the leprous area spreads over the skin, so that it covers all the skin of the afflicted person from head to foot, wherever the priest can see it. When the priest sees that the leprous discoloration has covered all [the person's] skin, he shall declare the afflicted person clean. As long as he has turned completely white, he is clean. However, on the day that healthy skin appears on [the person] he is unclean. When the priest sees the healthy skin, he shall declare [the person] unclean. The healthy skin is a sign of uncleanness, since it is the leprous curse. If the healthy skin turns white again, [the person] shall come back to the priest. When the priest sees that the afflicted person has turned [completely] white, the priest shall declare him clean, and he is then ritually pure.
    [This is the law] when there is an infection on the body and it heals. If a white blotch or bright pink spot then develops where the infection was, it must be shown to the priest. The priest shall examine it, and if it appears to have penetrated the skin and its hair has turned white, it is the leprous curse that has erupted over the infection. However, if the priest examines it, and it does not have white hair, nor does it appear to have penetrated the skin since it is a dull white, the priest shall quarantine the person for seven days. If this spot then increases in size on the skin, the priest shall declare it unclean, since it is the curse. However, if the spot remains stable and does not expand, it is scar tissue from the infection, and the priest shall declare it clean.

It goes on. The reading after mine was about leprousy of the house.
    You just know that Tolkien has something like this in his notes somewhere, and they're going to be published one of these days.

Bagginses on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    So...Gretchen Carlson has to be a character too, right?

For those that don't know, Snooki, of all people, wrestled at Wrestlemania this past weekend. Gretchen thinks it was a fucking body double that they later edited Snooki's face on. Nevermind that pro-wrestling has a live audience (this event had 71000 people at it) and a live PPV home audience with multiple camera angles shot in HD. Nevermind that Snooki's "wrestling" amounted to some gymnastics (hand springs and cart wheels, etc) that she had trained for 8 years as a kid for. But no, it had to be a body double!

Isn't Gretchen Ivy league educated and a classically trained musician? How can she possibly be this stupid on television? What is wrong with her?

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

For those that don't know, Snooki, of all people, wrestled at Wrestlemania this past weekend. Gretchen thinks it was a fucking body double that they later edited Snooki's face on. Nevermind that pro-wrestling has a live audience (this event had 71000 people at it) and a live PPV home audience with multiple camera angles shot in HD. Nevermind that Snooki's "wrestling" amounted to some gymnastics (hand springs and cart wheels, etc) that she had trained for 8 years as a kid for. But no, it had to be a body double!

Isn't Gretchen Ivy league educated and a classically trained musician? How can she possibly be this stupid on television? What is wrong with her?

The worst part?
    The reaction was mixed, with some agreeing with Gretchen and others saying it really was Snooki.

This. This is why I hate people.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Remember, Gretchen Carlson is the one who had to break the news that the story about Al Qaeda training monkeys to use guns was fake. Because she was duped by it.

Henroid on
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    is Gretchen a sister to Tucker?

Joolander on
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I've thought it's been mostly weak for a month or so. Striving for false balance.

yeah, unfortunately. Colbert last night was lovely though <3

Alegis on
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Holy shit!

That fucking dinosaur costume

holy shit

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

http://i.imgur.com/T12hC.gif

What is this? I don't even

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Fuck Moses!

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Libya Majora. *giggle*

Shadowen on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    wow, Huckabee got chunkyyyyyyyyyy

Joolander on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Mike Huckabee always brings out conversation in his appearances on The Daily Show, which I hate to say 'cause I don't like the goon. And Jon manages to say things how they are without 'destroying' Huckabee to a point where he doesn't get to have a say.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    That was literally like 4 minutes straight of that guy going, "no no, you don't do that" in a pleasant manner.

Edit - I'm never gonna get that image of Colbert looking pained, with stuff dripping out of the corners of his mouth, out of my head.

Henroid on
  • Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I haven't laughed so hard in a long time than during the British etiquette segment.

I lost it when it showed the close-up of Colbert's stuffed face. The guy sounded like he was about to have a meltdown over all the violations of tea time.

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    and I was dying ever since Colbert tried to make the "stiff upper lip"

Joolander on
  • Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Colbert had my laughing to the floor during the "British Royalty" segment.

Ticaldfjam on
  • Options
    SkySky Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Yes. Yes.

I need to finish the Silmarillion, and this just proves it. If Stephen Colbert knows about Giladriel then shit, so should I.

So everyone, who is your favorite character in the Tolkienverse. Mine is Morgoth.
    It's almost not worth it to read, let alone finish, The Silmarillion.

Having finished it, back in high school, I think I may have wasted my time, or proven how much of a bad-ass I am. I'm not sure.

Dude! That's exactly what I tell people when I mention the Silmarillion. "It's like reading the Bible."

It takes work and effort to read the teleprompter and follow the prompting from the producers in the control room. ;)

Sky on
  • Options
    devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    There was something really funny about Kristen Schaal yelling "FUCK MOSES."

Also, I really don't like how we get a completely different Huckabee on The Daily Show than we get pretty much anywhere else. He's really disingenuous.

devCharles on
    Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
This discussion has been closed.