As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[macOS] Sierra is Online. "Hey Siri, I need to get rid of a body."

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    That new MacBook trackpad is fucking black magic voodoo and I have an innate desire to destroy it with fire.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • htmhtm Registered User regular
    That new MacBook trackpad is fucking black magic voodoo and I have an innate desire to destroy it with fire.

I have the innate desire to Force Touch it. All night long.

The clickable top edge makes thumb clicking so much easier. I hope that its haptic tech makes into the bigger rMBP and the Magic Mouse/Trackpad soon.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    It's really the most amazing thing. My wife flat out refused to believe me that it wasn't "really" clicking until she grabbed an older one and compared the two right next to each other.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I've decided that it's really about damn time I slap an SSD in my mid-2012 Macbook. Anyone got a good guide for that?

• AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Guess I'll do this guide and swap the optical drive for an SSD - I haven't used the optical drive once since I got it. Going to get a 256 gig SSD for the system drive and keep the 750 gig HDD for storage.

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Guess I'll do this guide and swap the optical drive for an SSD - I haven't used the optical drive once since I got it. Going to get a 256 gig SSD for the system drive and keep the 750 gig HDD for storage.

I did that for a couple years with a 15" unibody 2009 macbook. Had a 160GB Intel SSD for the system drive, and a much larger platter based drive in the superdrive slot.

worked great.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • finalbroadcastfinalbroadcast WisconsinRegistered User regular
    I have a 2010 iMac, I am contemplating replacing. On the other hand, I could just bite the bullet and pop an SSD in there.

finalbroadcast.jpg
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I have a 2010 iMac, I am contemplating replacing. On the other hand, I could just bite the bullet and pop an SSD in there.

Hah, same. I have the 27" Mid-2010 model, which itself was an "free" Applecare replacement for a tricked-out 2008 model that died on me in 2010.

I really want a new computer, but I can't justify one as long as that iMac is still tickin'.

Edit: Though looking at iFixIt's SSD install guide, I do NOT have the guts to do that...though it would be interesting to see if I could diagnose my IR sensor not working.

Edit 2: Of course the big debate when new computer shopping is whether I want to go portable or desktop. I'm kind of over the whole iMac thing so I'm either going to go with a Notebook or a Mac Mini paired with a display. I don't ever need a computer to use outside of the house, so a notebook seems a bit redundant, but it would be nice for emergencies and whatnot.

So yeah, that's a tough decision.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • ButcherButcher Registered User regular
    El Capitan is such a laughably horrible name for an OS.

• maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    I'm missing the cat names already.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    I'll probably just call it OSX Captain. Not for any reason other than it rolls off the tongue easier.

Mavericks wasn't great either.

Yosemite was fine.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Oh captain, my captain!

• HyperionHyperion Registered User regular

Hah, same. I have the 27" Mid-2010 model, which itself was an "free" Applecare replacement for a tricked-out 2008 model that died on me in 2010.

I really want a new computer, but I can't justify one as long as that iMac is still tickin'.

Edit: Though looking at iFixIt's SSD install guide, I do NOT have the guts to do that...though it would be interesting to see if I could diagnose my IR sensor not working.

Edit 2: Of course the big debate when new computer shopping is whether I want to go portable or desktop. I'm kind of over the whole iMac thing so I'm either going to go with a Notebook or a Mac Mini paired with a display. I don't ever need a computer to use outside of the house, so a notebook seems a bit redundant, but it would be nice for emergencies and whatnot.

So yeah, that's a tough decision.

I'm in the same boat. Word round the campfire is that really really nice displays are coming by the end of this year. When that happens, I'm ditching my 2010 iMac and 2010 MBP and going with a laptop and display.

The problem now is that only brand new MBPs (I believe) have the bandwidth to support a 5K display; thunderbolt 1.2 doesn't do it, so if you bought something now with an eye towards a future display upgrade, you might be out of luck...

XBL: Jhnny Cash PSN: Jhnny_Cash Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/hypephb 3DS: 0619-4582-9630 Nintendo Network ID: DBrickashaw
    You might know me as D'Brickashaw on Steam.
  • htmhtm Registered User regular
    Hyperion wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat. Word round the campfire is that really really nice displays are coming by the end of this year. When that happens, I'm ditching my 2010 iMac and 2010 MBP and going with a laptop and display.

Well, the HP z27q is supposed to be out now, but as far as I can tell, it's a damn lie. There's still no reputable reviews of it online that I can find. The last I read about it, though, it was supposed to use the same panel as the Dell 5K display, for approx. $700 less ($1200ish vs $1900ish).
    The problem now is that only brand new MBPs (I believe) have the bandwidth to support a 5K display; thunderbolt 1.2 doesn't do it, so if you bought something now with an eye towards a future display upgrade, you might be out of luck...

I think that if you take a 5K display and run it at 4K, you'll still get Retina quality experience, so if price competitive 5K displays become available, it's still probably worth it to get one even if your machine can't output 5K.

All 5K displays right now except for the iMac are dual display port connections.

Meaning there is a risk of tearing or sync issues at the middle of the screen.

I would wait right now - it's not even the modern MacBooks that have the right single-port capability. Nobody has it yet. But the upcoming USB-C+thunderbolt connector which will be showing up on Intelsat next major chipset definitely will.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    htm wrote: »

Well, the HP z27q is supposed to be out now, but as far as I can tell, it's a damn lie. There's still no reputable reviews of it online that I can find. The last I read about it, though, it was supposed to use the same panel as the Dell 5K display, for approx. $700 less ($1200ish vs $1900ish).

I think that if you take a 5K display and run it at 4K, you'll still get Retina quality experience, so if price competitive 5K displays become available, it's still probably worth it to get one even if your machine can't output 5K.

Ah, forgot about the HP. I was just referring to Apple-only displays, actually. And I echo what @syndalis said.

XBL: Jhnny Cash PSN: Jhnny_Cash Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/hypephb 3DS: 0619-4582-9630 Nintendo Network ID: DBrickashaw
  • ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    All 5K displays right now except for the iMac are dual display port connections.

I would wait right now - it's not even the modern MacBooks that have the right single-port capability. Nobody has it yet. But the upcoming USB-C+thunderbolt connector which will be showing up on Intelsat next major chipset definitely will.

It does make me wonder if the LG leak was right and we will see 8K iMac soon or if its the new cinema display?

• ButcherButcher Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Ziggymon wrote: »

It does make me wonder if the LG leak was right and we will see 8K iMac soon or if its the new cinema display?

That sounds complete insane. 8k+ is used for top end IMAX screens, I don't know if the human eye can even detect anything past 5k on a monitor. Maybe a really huge monitor.

Butcher on
    Butcher wrote: »

That sounds complete insane. 8k+ is used for top end IMAX screens, I don't know if the human eye can even detect anything past 5k on a monitor. Maybe a really huge monitor.

It's not too insane to think about when looking at professional video and photography/ art uses.

The problem with 8K is that it is 4X more pixels than a 4K display.

Would be insane, and I think unlikely due to GPU constraints.

SW-4158-3990-6116

Unlikely now yes I agree, I do think though if the leak is true, it will be a display limited to a new Mac Pro updated line and nothing else. Designed exclusively for the pro market. The display might even have its own built in GPU to cope with extra demands. It's not the first time Apple has released insane displays for the market at the time.

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

Unlikely now yes I agree, I do think though if the leak is true, it will be a display limited to a new Mac Pro updated line and nothing else. Designed exclusively for the pro market. The display might even have its own built in GPU to cope with extra demands. It's not the first time Apple has released insane displays for the market at the time.

even for the pro market an 8k display would be pointless

5K (retina 1440p) makes sense.

It allows for a full 4K frame with toolbars on one display.

8K is just masturbatory.

Nobody and I mean nobody works with 8K source in the editor on screen - it is usually aliased to a 1080p or 4K file such that as you make changes the editor keeps track, and the final render uses the IMAX 8K source on the backend

But again, almost all films are shot in 4K, not 8K.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Agreed. We're not even close to needing 8K. Ain't gonna happen.

• emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    I'm sort of thinking of retiring my 2009 MBP, but it looks like the new models have limited storage capacity; are their SSDs integrated with the PCB or is expandable storage possible (while keeping the disc drive)?

• Baron DirigibleBaron Dirigible Registered User regular
    If you're after a MacBook with a disc drive, your only option (if buying new) is the 13" MBP which comes with 500GB SATA as standard, upgradable to 1TB. Otherwise you're SOL as far as hard drive upgrades go -- I think early retina models could be upgraded with third-party SSDs, but I'm pretty sure that's no longer the case, for whatever reason. (In any case they weren't exactly off-the-shelf upgrades.)

• emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    So if I grab a 128GB model I wont be able to slap in a secondary SSD/HDD for extra storage? That seems crazy.

I dont super care about having an optical drive since I think I've used the one in my current laptop all of one time in the 6 years I've had it and that was to go from Leopard to Snow Leopard.

The more I think about it the more I think I'll wait for the Skylake refresh, but that'll probably mean I'd be rebuilding my desktop and replacing my laptop in the same year and I dont know how I feel about that.

• Baron DirigibleBaron Dirigible Registered User regular
    hang on, I don't understand -- how is not being able to install a secondary drive crazy? TBH I don't know how upgradable the non-Retina MBP is, but if it's anything like your 09 model you should be able to swap out the SSD/HDD for another drive with no problems. And you miiiight be able to swap out the disk drive for another HDD, too (good luck contorting the cables). But there certainly isn't enough space in the chassis for a whole other drive that most people would never install, and I can't really see how that's a negative?

emp123 wrote: »
    So if I grab a 128GB model I wont be able to slap in a secondary SSD/HDD for extra storage? That seems crazy.

I dont super care about having an optical drive since I think I've used the one in my current laptop all of one time in the 6 years I've had it and that was to go from Leopard to Snow Leopard.

The more I think about it the more I think I'll wait for the Skylake refresh, but that'll probably mean I'd be rebuilding my desktop and replacing my laptop in the same year and I dont know how I feel about that.

The Skylake chips are supposedly delayed now for a further 6 months. Which could mean Apple has an exclusive first dibs on the new chipset of its next Mac refresh or that the next refresh is only going to be minor again.

• jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    I'm a video professional. An 8k display would be dumb right now, and probably excessive for the foreseeable future. High end Red Dragon footage is 6k, which is usually transcoded to 1080p or 4k proxies (lower resolution, much lower bandwidth video files that can easily link back to the original footage) for editing so the systems can actually handle it. And the big reason the Red is 6k is so that it's super sharp for 4k delivery, which is becoming the standard in movie theaters.

We hardly ever actually look at footage at full 1:1 resolution in post production until very late in the process. On my 27" thunderbolt display here at work, I have Premiere in the background, and my main program window is showing 1080p footage at 50%.

Very few people in the industry would want to waste the GPU bandwidth pushing that many pixels when they could be using the GPU for better software performance & playback. I know a lot of mid-level video pro's who say avoid the 5k iMac because so much GPU power is taken up pushing all those pixels that their software performance suffers.

And for actual reference monitors, we use something like these Flanders Scientific monitors. "Only" 1080p, but definitely one of the leaders in the industry.

Color calibration and accuracy are much more important than resolution (above a certain minimum threshold).

I did see an experimental 8k screen at the NAB conference this year. It was probably 10-12 feet across, and even at about a foot away from the screen, I couldn't see pixels. It was definitely an impressive tech demo, but you get pretty major diminishing returns pushing more & more pixels.

I think 4k is going to eventually be the sweet spot. It's fantastic for acquisition & high end delivery, and home viewing and computer usage could probably benefit from the high resolution on larger screens.

• MercadeMercade Registered User regular
    Any word on how Windows 10 is performing w/r/t to Bootcamp? I'm looking to load that sucker up on my MBP when it's out but want to make sure there are no driver issues, etc before I drop $119.

Switch: SW-1909-0466-9585
  • amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    Mercade wrote: »
    Any word on how Windows 10 is performing w/r/t to Bootcamp? I'm looking to load that sucker up on my MBP when it's out but want to make sure there are no driver issues, etc before I drop $119.
    I'm sure it won't be any worse than Windows already works with Boot Camp, which is to say, terrible. Whoever said a Macbook is the best laptop to run Windows on is a liar.

steam_sig.png
    Mercade wrote: »
    I'm sure it won't be any worse than Windows already works with Boot Camp, which is to say, terrible. Whoever said a Macbook is the best laptop to run Windows on is a liar.

I have Windows 8.1 installed on 3 different MacBooks and it's 100% perfect. Run smooth, no driver issues at all, and I've been running one of them since Windows 7. What kind of issues are you having?

• amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    The drivers don't support graphics switching under Windows, so my 650M is always running. That's... pretty much reason enough to say the BootCamp experience is terrible.

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
    I've never had a single problem with Bootcamp once I got it to work.

jimb213 wrote: »
    I'm a video professional. An 8k display would be dumb right now, and probably excessive for the foreseeable future. High end Red Dragon footage is 6k, which is usually transcoded to 1080p or 4k proxies (lower resolution, much lower bandwidth video files that can easily link back to the original footage) for editing so the systems can actually handle it. And the big reason the Red is 6k is so that it's super sharp for 4k delivery, which is becoming the standard in movie theaters.

We hardly ever actually look at footage at full 1:1 resolution in post production until very late in the process. On my 27" thunderbolt display here at work, I have Premiere in the background, and my main program window is showing 1080p footage at 50%.

Very few people in the industry would want to waste the GPU bandwidth pushing that many pixels when they could be using the GPU for better software performance & playback. I know a lot of mid-level video pro's who say avoid the 5k iMac because so much GPU power is taken up pushing all those pixels that their software performance suffers.

And for actual reference monitors, we use something like these Flanders Scientific monitors. "Only" 1080p, but definitely one of the leaders in the industry.

Color calibration and accuracy are much more important than resolution (above a certain minimum threshold).

I did see an experimental 8k screen at the NAB conference this year. It was probably 10-12 feet across, and even at about a foot away from the screen, I couldn't see pixels. It was definitely an impressive tech demo, but you get pretty major diminishing returns pushing more & more pixels.

I think 4k is going to eventually be the sweet spot. It's fantastic for acquisition & high end delivery, and home viewing and computer usage could probably benefit from the high resolution on larger screens.

Exactly.

Most editors probably aren't even digitizing their footage at full 2k or 4k resolution. Thats the FX and color correction guy's jobs.

edited August 2015

Exactly.

Most editors probably aren't even digitizing their footage at full 2k or 4k resolution. Thats the FX and color correction guy's jobs.

and they use dedicated, very specific and expensive screens for the task.

5K display tech is awesome for the editing side of things now that the GPU, processors and bus speeds are at a point that working with 4K footage makes sense.

Going beyond that at any point int the next decade seems either unlikely or masturbatory.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116

Exactly.

and they use dedicated, very specific and expensive screens for the task.

5K display tech is awesome for the editing side of things now that the GPU, processors and bus speeds are at a point that working with 4K footage makes sense.

Going beyond that at any point int the next decade seems either unlikely or masturbatory.

This is correct. No one on a Da Vinci or a Flame system is using an Apple monitor; we're using Eizos with crazy good dynamic range.

• twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Anyone else running the El Capitan public beta? I installed the newest release this morning (which I just got the notification for when I got back to my computer; so, I'm guessing it was released last night/early this AM), and it seems to have blown up my mid-2010 iMac. It won't boot outside of Safe Boot; getting some kind of kernel panic error related to org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv...just submitted a bug report...figured I'd throw it out there; curious if it's unique to my machine.

edit: remembered I had VirtualBox installed at some point in the past (but not any longer)...downloaded the .dmg again and used the Uninstaller script; now the machine boots. No idea if the crash only happened because of an "improper uninstall" or if it would happen with VirtualBox actually fully installed as well.

twmjr on