As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[macOS] Sierra is Online. "Hey Siri, I need to get rid of a body."

1100101102103104106»

• htmhtm Registered User regular
    I got a Mac for work, back to it after many years. It's very weird how everything looks retro to me but it's actually just Apple design stuff.

I've got a question: I have a little USB adapter for my extra monitor setup, it worked fine with my old company's Thinkpad. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-MacBook-Reader-Power-Pass-Through/dp/B07MP9P6B7/ref=pd_lpo_3?pd_rd_i=B07MP9P6B7&psc=1 with the VGA for my very old third monitor.

Connecting that to the Mac laptop I have two results:
    - Both monitors (VGA + HDMI) plugged in: both extra monitors display the exact same thing, the laptop itself doesn't. Only one monitor's preferences window opens up (in addition to the laptop's screen) when looking at Display Preferences.
    - Only one monitor plugged in, either VGA or HDMI: that monitor displays, that monitor's preferences window opens in System Preferences.

I'm probably going to wind up just buying another danged adapter for this weird USB-only brick but is there something clever I can do here? I have to imagine other people have had this problem.

On the plus side the laptop's screen looks really nice!

With your username and picture, how can you not be a Mac user? FROG BLAST THE VENT CORE!

Also, which Mac do you have? The first gen M1s won't support more than one external display without some skullduggery.

• FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited November 17
    So, speaking of skullduggery, two USB-C ports are not enough for all my crap. I'm looking at hubs on Amazon, and there are some fairly wild price swings between hubs.

The Hogore 8-in-1 has 4K HDMI, 4 USB 3.0 ports, an Ethernet jack, SD slots, and power delivery. $35.
    The Belkin Dual Display dock has TWO HDMI ports (DisplayLink), 3 USB 2.0 ports, power delivery, ethernet, and an audio jack. MSRP $160.

Is the extra HDMI port and the audio jack worth $125? Does DisplayLink support really cost that much? Even this cheaper Belkin 6-in-1 adapter with fewer ports costs twice as much! Is there some basic difference in quality I'm missing here?

Frem on
    Frem wrote: »
    So, speaking of skullduggery, two USB-C ports are not enough for all my crap. I'm looking at hubs on Amazon, and there are some fairly wild price swings between hubs.

The Hogore 8-in-1 has 4K HDMI, 4 USB 3.0 ports, an Ethernet jack, SD slots, and power delivery. $35.
    The Belkin Dual Display dock has TWO HDMI ports (DisplayLink), 3 USB 2.0 ports, power delivery, ethernet, and an audio jack. MSRP $160.

Is the extra HDMI port and the audio jack worth $125? Does DisplayLink support really cost that much? Even this cheaper Belkin 6-in-1 adapter with fewer ports costs twice as much! Is there some basic difference in quality I'm missing here?

Isn't DisplayLink some sort of OS-side compression scheme for shipping video over USB? I don't see the need for it if you have real HDMI displays. Otherwise, it's kind of hard to argue with the price of the Hogore. Note, though, that it's not a real Thunderbolt hub. It's capped at whatever USB-C's max bandwidth is across all its ports.

If you want to preserve your ability to plug in more TB devices, you'll probably want a real TB3 hub. CalDigit and OWC both make a variety of them, and Wirecutter says that Monoprice makes a nice one that's a bit cheaper than the others.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited November 17
    Also make sure that "4k HDMI" actually means "more than 30 Hz", because a lot of stuff settles at that.

I wouldn't expect that first dongle to do more than 30 Hz.

edit:
    Support resolution up to [email protected], [email protected] (Backward compatible).

Echo on
    htmrahkeesh2000
  • Mostly HarmlessMostly Harmless Registered User regular
    edited November 17
    htm wrote: »
    Isn't DisplayLink some sort of OS-side compression scheme for shipping video over USB? I don't see the need for it if you have real HDMI displays.

DisplayLink is horrid black magic that has no reason to exist in a world of USB-C and Thunderbolt. We're using DisplayLink docks at work, and they're an ongoing disaster. You need drivers, it's slow (bad on 4k, near unusable on dual-4k), it's buggy, and on a Mac it works via screen-capture which breaks various things (e.g. unlock via Watch).

Mostly Harmless on
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    The main reason I’d want something with DisplayLink is because the M1 MacBook Air is incapable of extending the desktop across more than one external monitor. It worked alright with a 1080p display last I tried it with my work machine? But yeah, it is jank from a technical perspective; proper 4K support is probably better for futureproofing.

Good call on the USB-C bandwidth bottleneck. I was thinking about plugging in an external hard drive enclosure at some point; sounds like I’d definitely want a proper dock for that.

• thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Technical Debt Janitor he/himRegistered User regular
    Noob(ish) question again: I seem to have either 1) from the login screen - entered in a set of keystrokes that reset my login session, or 2) had some non-reset reset of the system even though I have auto-updates explicitly turned off

Results of last reboot
    {host-name}:~ {user-name}$ last reboot
    reboot ~ Tue Sep 14 21:15
    reboot ~ Tue Sep 14 20:36
    reboot ~ Tue Sep 14 19:48

wtmp begins Tue Sep 14 19:48

The effect was that when I logged in the session was completely restarted, and all applications were restarted as well. This means I lost all of my browser tabs (don't hate, I like tabs)

The question is this:

Is there such a keystroke combination from #1?

If not, what's the best way to comb logs (is this shit just in /var/logs?) from a previous MacOS login session to see what might have happened (e.g., with the suspicion being one of the apps might have crashed the session causing the OS to restart it)?

Noob(ish) question again: I seem to have either 1) from the login screen - entered in a set of keystrokes that reset my login session, or 2) had some non-reset reset of the system even though I have auto-updates explicitly turned off

Results of last reboot
    {host-name}:~ {user-name}$ last reboot
    reboot ~ Tue Sep 14 21:15
    reboot ~ Tue Sep 14 20:36
    reboot ~ Tue Sep 14 19:48

wtmp begins Tue Sep 14 19:48

The effect was that when I logged in the session was completely restarted, and all applications were restarted as well. This means I lost all of my browser tabs (don't hate, I like tabs)

The question is this:

Is there such a keystroke combination from #1?

If not, what's the best way to comb logs (is this shit just in /var/logs?) from a previous MacOS login session to see what might have happened (e.g., with the suspicion being one of the apps might have crashed the session causing the OS to restart it)?

Ctrl-cmd-power button is the traditional Mac reboot key combo.

Console, which is in /Applications/Utilities, will let you browse and search system logs.

thatassemblyguy