As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[macOS] Sierra is Online. "Hey Siri, I need to get rid of a body."

12467106

Posts

  • Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I don't know if I like where this whole "Mac App Store"/"Back to the Mac" thing is going.

    I absolutely hate it, but hopefully they'll be showing a lot of new features online like they did with Leopard prior to its release.

    Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I really like the smaller Air, especially at the $999 price point. I'm just not so sure that it has a place between my iPad and iMac. I feel like if I got one I'd have no more use for my iPad, which would suck because I really like this little guy. On the other hand, having a basically full-featured notebook again would be pretty nice. Quick, someone make up my mind for me!

    Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    syndalis wrote: »
    Mac App Store?


    hahaha, after all of the promises that they weren't going to do that... if they end up locking out devs and requiring approval to release mac apps, that's the end for me. I'll sell my Mac Pro and switch back to a PC.

    They did say right out there that it will not be the only way to get apps on a Mac, just the easiest.

    I assume that it is as open as it's always been.

    call me a pessimist but i see this as a pretty big step toward incrementally locking down the OS.

    Fatty McBeardo on
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited October 2010
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I really like the smaller Air, especially at the $999 price point. I'm just not so sure that it has a place between my iPad and iMac. I feel like if I got one I'd have no more use for my iPad, which would suck because I really like this little guy. On the other hand, having a basically full-featured notebook again would be pretty nice. Quick, someone make up my mind for me!

    I find i cannot go back to a normal notebook at this point; I do a great deal of my work on the iPad on the subway and public transit, and I would not be able to do that with a notebook perched on my lap.

    syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I really like the smaller Air, especially at the $999 price point. I'm just not so sure that it has a place between my iPad and iMac. I feel like if I got one I'd have no more use for my iPad, which would suck because I really like this little guy. On the other hand, having a basically full-featured notebook again would be pretty nice. Quick, someone make up my mind for me!

    Bite the bullet for us and let us know how it performs. I know the original MacBook Air was severely hindered by the fact that it used an iPod HDD.

    Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    syndalis wrote: »
    Mac App Store?


    hahaha, after all of the promises that they weren't going to do that... if they end up locking out devs and requiring approval to release mac apps, that's the end for me. I'll sell my Mac Pro and switch back to a PC.

    They did say right out there that it will not be the only way to get apps on a Mac, just the easiest.

    I assume that it is as open as it's always been.

    call me a pessimist but i see this as a pretty big step toward incrementally locking down the OS.

    There are some pros and cons to this, and to me, the biggest pro is that new users will immediately be able to start looking at apps that they would need, and have it in a way that keeps them up to date. It would also allow existing users to be exposed to apps they might not have known about.

    The biggest con here, of course, is that Apple presumably has complete control over what is allowed to be shown on the store, and eventually, a developer is going to have to split his revenue 70-30 with Apple if he wants his product to become known.

    Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • The MantizThe Mantiz Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The Mantiz wrote: »
    Are you supposed to download the iWork trial to get the Facetime Beta, or did Apple fuck up the link?

    http://www.apple.com/mac/facetime/

    Nevermind. They fixed it now!

    The Mantiz on
    3DS - 2878-9572-9277
  • InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Man, that new Air is sexy. Very, very tempting.

    InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I really like the smaller Air, especially at the $999 price point. I'm just not so sure that it has a place between my iPad and iMac. I feel like if I got one I'd have no more use for my iPad, which would suck because I really like this little guy. On the other hand, having a basically full-featured notebook again would be pretty nice. Quick, someone make up my mind for me!

    Bite the bullet for us and let us know how it performs. I know the original MacBook Air was severely hindered by the fact that it used an iPod HDD.

    I'm tempted, I have to admit. Only problem is, I'd have to probably sell my iPad just to be able to afford it. Not so sure I'm ready to make that jump just yet, because I'm still quite fond of it.

    Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Lol, sometimes other people on the internet make me feel like a hermit. No iPhone, no iPad, just a crummy SLVR that basically makes calls and that's about it.

    maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So, are these available in-store today? Like, if I went to my local Apple store, could I check one out?

    InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • AriviaArivia Registered User
    edited October 2010
    InkSplat wrote: »
    So, are these available in-store today? Like, if I went to my local Apple store, could I check one out?

    Yes.

    Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Arivia wrote: »
    InkSplat wrote: »
    So, are these available in-store today? Like, if I went to my local Apple store, could I check one out?

    Yes.

    Well, I know where I'm going to be once my fiance gets off work.

    Though, I'm sort of disappointed by the lack of iPad-esque data plan. If it had a pay-as-you-go 3g plan, I'd be pretty damn tempted to pick one up in place of the Chrome Books I've been holding out for.

    But no 3g makes it a little less useful.

    InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited October 2010
    InkSplat wrote: »
    Arivia wrote: »
    InkSplat wrote: »
    So, are these available in-store today? Like, if I went to my local Apple store, could I check one out?

    Yes.

    Well, I know where I'm going to be once my fiance gets off work.

    Though, I'm sort of disappointed by the lack of iPad-esque data plan. If it had a pay-as-you-go 3g plan, I'd be pretty damn tempted to pick one up in place of the Chrome Books I've been holding out for.

    But no 3g makes it a little less useful.
    Well, you can add tethering to your phone data plan if you need it, though that gets kind of pricey.

    syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    syndalis wrote: »
    InkSplat wrote: »
    Arivia wrote: »
    InkSplat wrote: »
    So, are these available in-store today? Like, if I went to my local Apple store, could I check one out?

    Yes.

    Well, I know where I'm going to be once my fiance gets off work.

    Though, I'm sort of disappointed by the lack of iPad-esque data plan. If it had a pay-as-you-go 3g plan, I'd be pretty damn tempted to pick one up in place of the Chrome Books I've been holding out for.

    But no 3g makes it a little less useful.
    Well, you can add tethering to your phone data plan if you need it, though that gets kind of pricey.

    I actually don't have a smartphone, unfortunately.

    InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Has anyone seen any comparison pics between the 11" MBA and the iPad? I'd really like to see how they stack up size-wise.

    Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • EvanderEvander Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I dont think that Lion really adds anything that I want or need. Glad I waited on picking up iLife 09, though.

    Evander on
  • MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    Has anyone seen any comparison pics between the 11" MBA and the iPad? I'd really like to see how they stack up size-wise.

    The 11" MBA is 0.18 inches thicker than the iPad at its thickest point (0.68" vs 0.5")

    MBA is 2.3 pounds compared to the iPad's 1.5 lbs.

    MBA is 11.8"x7.56" and the iPad is 9.56"x7.47"

    overall they're pretty damn close, the MBA is just a little longer to accommodate the larger display

    Monoxide on
  • InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I just wonder if the Mac App Store is going to facilitate a plethora of games like the iOS App store. Because that would be nice.

    InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    syndalis wrote: »
    Mac App Store?


    hahaha, after all of the promises that they weren't going to do that... if they end up locking out devs and requiring approval to release mac apps, that's the end for me. I'll sell my Mac Pro and switch back to a PC.

    They did say right out there that it will not be the only way to get apps on a Mac, just the easiest.

    I assume that it is as open as it's always been.

    call me a pessimist but i see this as a pretty big step toward incrementally locking down the OS.

    There are some pros and cons to this, and to me, the biggest pro is that new users will immediately be able to start looking at apps that they would need, and have it in a way that keeps them up to date. It would also allow existing users to be exposed to apps they might not have known about.

    The biggest con here, of course, is that Apple presumably has complete control over what is allowed to be shown on the store, and eventually, a developer is going to have to split his revenue 70-30 with Apple if he wants his product to become known.

    That's true, but I think if it catches on with the userbase it will be ultimately a good thing for developers and for revenue.

    You're giving up 30% of revenue, but gaining the exposure of having your application showcased on every single Mac out there. Currently, the only way people find Mac applications outside of word of mouth is just googling for the thing that they want, i.e. searching for "Mac Photo Editor" might land you on Pixelmator.

    Monoxide on
  • InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Oh god, trying to find good OS X apps is so tedious. The App Store can only improve things as far as I'm concerned.

    InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • DritzDritz Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Is it really so hard for Apple or Microsoft to come up with something similar to the repository concept in Linux? A locked down app store sure as heck ain't good enough.

    Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • ginguskahnginguskahn Registered User
    edited October 2010
    FaceTime works well, I just called up an iPhone 4 and an iPod Touch straight from my address book, no messing around or setup. Quality is pretty damn good (although should be expected on wifi I guess).

    ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
  • ginguskahnginguskahn Registered User
    edited October 2010
    Oh and um, I would buy me the hell out of one of those USB pen drives that come with the air <3

    ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
  • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I think the hardest thing to leave behind for the iPad would be iBooks. The iPad just makes such a good eReader, it'd be tough to have to use a separate device again.

    Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hmmm, I'm not really a netbook fan but I bought my mom one for christmas last year. She likes the size but absolutely hates how slow it is. Maybe I'll see if my brothers wanna go splits on buying her one of the smaller airs for christmas.

    For those complaining about the low RAM in them - the apple online store will let you put up to 4gb in one for an extra $90.

    Edit: and actually I'd just probably get her a Macbook instead.

    Wezoin on
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    ginguskahn wrote: »
    Oh and um, I would buy me the hell out of one of those USB pen drives that come with the air <3
    Que?
    Link pls.

    Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • ginguskahnginguskahn Registered User
    edited October 2010
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I think the hardest thing to leave behind for the iPad would be iBooks. The iPad just makes such a good eReader, it'd be tough to have to use a separate device again.

    I bet iBooks is the first app they release with the new OS X appstore

    Also

    2010-10-20mbausbp.jpg

    http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/20/new-macbook-airs-come-with-software-reinstall-usb-drive/

    ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
  • EvanderEvander Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    ginguskahn wrote: »
    Oh and um, I would buy me the hell out of one of those USB pen drives that come with the air <3

    +1

    Evander on
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Evander wrote: »
    ginguskahn wrote: »
    Oh and um, I would buy me the hell out of one of those USB pen drives that come with the air <3

    +1

    Having seen it now: +1 also.

    Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    Dritz wrote: »
    Is it really so hard for Apple or Microsoft to come up with something similar to the repository concept in Linux? A locked down app store sure as heck ain't good enough.

    Well, the Mac App Store is actually extremely similar to an apt repository. We'll have to wait and see just how limited it is -- I could see it being a lot more flexible than the iPhone's appstore because performance and device restrictions are going to be less of an issue. There's apparently a clause restricting apps using the app store from adding or modifying .kext's though, so you won't see ShapeShifter making a resurgence in the App Store any time soon.

    Monoxide on
  • ginguskahnginguskahn Registered User
    edited October 2010
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Evander wrote: »
    ginguskahn wrote: »
    Oh and um, I would buy me the hell out of one of those USB pen drives that come with the air <3

    +1

    Having seen it now: +1 also.

    I hope it's at least the default media Lion is distributed on 8-)

    ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
  • MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    I really wish they would've announced Macbook Pro updates with a dedicated graphics option on the 13"

    the 320M is just not powerful enough, but a 15" laptop is too fucking big

    Monoxide on
  • InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So, my local Apple store did not have the new Airs in yet. Said they probably won't have them in for a couple days.

    Le sigh.

    InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • AriviaArivia Registered User
    edited October 2010
    oh shit yes, I'd buy one too

    Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • AtomikaAtomika Cinema Vampire (alleged) Trans 🏳️‍⚧️ SylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I guess I'm the outlier here. I don't know why the new MacBook Air exists . . . at all. Who is this for? Where does it fit in?

    For comparison, the base-model Air, at $999, costs the same as the base-model MacBook.
    - Pros: Air is thinner, has SSD
    - Cons: MacBook has larger display, 4 times the storage, built-in superdrive, 1.0 Ghz faster processor

    I know what choice I'm making, should I have to.

    Now, let's load it up crazy-like.
    - Pros: Air is still thinner, still has SSD
    - Cons: MacBook has 2x the storage, .27 Ghz faster processor, built-in superdrive, and is now $550 dollars cheaper.


    Let me say it again: $550 . . . cheaper. Apple is charging you $550 dollars for the arguable privilege of being thinner and however valuable you think half the storage in SSD form is. That's it.



    By comparison, however, there's a strong case to be made for a 13" MacBook Pro with a 128GB SSD over the new Air. The only way to get over 1.86 GHz on the new Air is to buy the top-tier model, which starts at $1600. Now sure, you get the 256 SSD standard on that model, but you don't get a superdrive, and your GHz is still lower than the Pro at that tier. You get a similarly configured MacBook Pro, it comes down to how big you want you SSD to be. If you want the same 256GB, you're only going to spend $200 more on the Pro while getting your better processor and superdrive; if you're cool with only 126GB, you're going to save $250 over the cost of a new Air; what's more, if you prefer space over speed and go for the 500GB SATA drive, you're going to get 2x the storage, the faster processor, the superdrive, aaaaaand . . . save $350 bucks.

    One more time: the better computers cost less, in many iterations.



    So I ask, who is the new Air for?

    Atomika on
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    i'd totally buy one
    if i needed a computer in addition to my desktop

    but then again the ideal setup in my life would be imac + ipad
    and then if i had extra extra money i'd get a MBA and have it sync important shit with my imac

    that i would so do if i had a lotta money

    right now i cant do anything about replacing my 4 year old white macbook even though

    Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Ross, are you often confused by whatever Apple happens to be selling?

    Your argument is the same argument made by anyone who doesn't understand why someone would want any Mac. You compare specifications and price against each other as though that was the only thing that mattered. Any electronic device is more than the sum of its parts. Comparing things on paper will leave you getting burned regardless of what you're looking to buy.

    People asked what the iPad was for. It was apparently an underpowered, overpriced netbook that didn't even run a full OS. It eventually found its niche. If the new Air is executed well (and we'll see whether that is the case when the reviews start pouring in) then it too will find a niche and a following.

    Sarksus on
  • ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Comparing SSD space to normal HDD space is silly, you get them for completely different reason.

    Also a lot of people don't really care about the superdrive. The handful of times a year one I use mine could be handled by a external drive, and I don't know anyone who burns any cd/dvd outside of the occasional cd for the car.

    As for processors, you can barely make the case that the 13 macbooks are good for power computing. A c2d is nice and fast for most student things, but for anything that needs more power, you'd be much better off getting a core iX series chip. Having a LV or ULV (which is presumably what the Air is using) for a machine meant to do very light pic/movie editting at most, 1.4/1.86 is probably going to be fine

    ronzo on
  • EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I guess I'm the outlier here. I don't know why the new MacBook Air exists . . . at all. Who is this for? Where does it fit in?

    For comparison, the base-model Air, at $999, costs the same as the base-model MacBook.
    - Pros: Air is thinner, has SSD
    - Cons: MacBook has larger display, 4 times the storage, built-in superdrive, 1.0 Ghz faster processor

    I know what choice I'm making, should I have to.

    Now, let's load it up crazy-like.
    - Pros: Air is still thinner, still has SSD
    - Cons: MacBook has 2x the storage, .27 Ghz faster processor, built-in superdrive, and is now $550 dollars cheaper.


    Let me say it again: $550 . . . cheaper. Apple is charging you $550 dollars for the arguable privilege of being thinner and however valuable you think half the storage in SSD form is. That's it.



    By comparison, however, there's a strong case to be made for a 13" MacBook Pro with a 128GB SSD over the new Air. The only way to get over 1.86 GHz on the new Air is to buy the top-tier model, which starts at $1600. Now sure, you get the 256 SSD standard on that model, but you don't get a superdrive, and your GHz is still lower than the Pro at that tier. You get a similarly configured MacBook Pro, it comes down to how big you want you SSD to be. If you want the same 256GB, you're only going to spend $200 more on the Pro while getting your better processor and superdrive; if you're cool with only 126GB, you're going to save $250 over the cost of a new Air; what's more, if you prefer space over speed and go for the 500GB SATA drive, you're going to get 2x the storage, the faster processor, the superdrive, aaaaaand . . . save $350 bucks.

    One more time: the better computers cost less, in many iterations.



    So I ask, who is the new Air for?

    People who more heavily favour the portability side of the portability vs power scale than regular notebook purchasers.

    Was that not hugely obvious? Are you confused by the existence of laptops in general because desktops always cost less for considerably better performance? They're better computers and they cost less hurf durf!

    Ego on
    Erik
Sign In or Register to comment.