As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[macOS] Sierra is Online. "Hey Siri, I need to get rid of a body."

• floobiefloobie Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I installed Windows 8 in virtualbox to play around with. It was pretty easy to get up and running. And totally free.

IMO, Metro is indeed very much (and very well) designed for tablets, and quite a hinderance when used with a mouse and keyboard. The multitasking that appears to make a lot of sense for tablet use feels clunky and limiting when using a mouse and keyboard. And, the desktop view in it feels sort of gimped to me compared to Windows 7. Of particular concern is running Metro and classic apps side by side. It feels like a very disjointed experience. The Metro apps are stored in a sidebar that pops up from the left when you move the cursor to the upper left hand corner, while the classic apps show up in the task bar. The only way I could find to view a Metro app on the desktop was to split screen the Metro app and the desktop "app" itself... it made it pretty difficult to arrange my workspace how I want it. I'm basically stuck with a sidebar of a condensed Metro app, or a side bar of the desktop app.

I really think this would be better if the Metro and classic interfaces were separate operating systems fully optimized for their separate purposes. When put together, it feels like each interface compromises the other. I guess it feels like desktop interfaces have sort of plateaued lately... but I get the impression that's because they're becoming pretty well optimized for the input methods they're designed for. It feels like Microsoft is intending to actually sacrifice the desktop OS over the next few years in favour of a tablet OS, instead of having the two co-exist. Apple on the other hand seems to realize that tablets are just used fundamentally differently from desktop computers, and is focusing more on optimizing each individual platform, as opposed to putting them all together... not that iOS for the iPad doesn't have a bit of catching up to do relative to Windows 8 now ;)

tl;dr: Nice validation for my continued use of OS X as my primary OS :P

floobie on
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Thats basically how I feel about Windows 8, but Im not sure your assessment of OSX is all that accurate since 10.7 is the beginning of the merger between iOS and OSX and 10.8 will be an even greater merger.

Windows 7 and 10.6 for forever.

emp123 wrote: »
    Thats basically how I feel about Windows 8, but Im not sure your assessment of OSX is all that accurate since 10.7 is the beginning of the merger between iOS and OSX and 10.8 will be an even greater merger.

Windows 7 and 10.6 for forever.

We might have to agree to disagree on that one. Looking at 10.8, I do get the impression that Apple realizes that a desktop/notebook in its current state isn't a tablet, won't be used like a tablet, and that an operating system optimized for a tablet is not an operating system optimized for a desktop/notebook.

I guess I can only speak for myself, but going from Leopard to Snow Leopard to Lion, the fundaments of how I use the operating system haven't changed at all. I haven't lost any functionality. The features that have been added have been either neutral or beneficial for me. Comparing Windows 7 (which I run in Bootcamp, and use on my work computer daily) to Windows 8 feels like a truly fundamental shift that ultimately sacrifices a fair bit of what worked well in Windows 7 for a completely tablet optimized interface (which is pretty damn good on a tablet) and a gimped feeling legacy mode.

• elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    Despite all the fears that iOS and OSX are going to completely merge into one OS, I don't think Apple will do that. I think they'll get closer, as they are in Mountain Lion, and features will move back and forth between the two, but they're going to stay as separate OSes. Everything I've read about Windows 8 says that Metro is not the best on a PC but great on a tablet, and I'm sure Apple is paying attention. I think this is something they've been thinking about since iOS was first developed, and if they were going to have one OS it probably would have happened by now.

• FiskavFiskav Registered User regular
    edited December 2015

Fiskav on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2012
    Fiskav wrote: »
    I don't know about the rest of you, but for me, half the new features in Lion were completely useless.

Most of them have been a step up for me. A few steps sideways as well.
    I never use Launchpad. I use the Applications folder on my Dock.

I use Launchpad. It serves the same purpose, just looks different. This is the quintessential step sideways, IMO.
    Mission Control. Yuck. Expose was awesome - why change something awesome?

I couldn't disagree more on this one. I adore Mission Control. It is by far the most elegant multi-tasking solution I've ever encountered. Going from Expose to Mission Control has increased my productivity by a huge margin. I just fly from app to app, screen to screen, like never before. Expose was awesome, but Mission Control takes it to a different level... IMO.
    Multi-touch gestures. Ok, you got me here. I use these sometimes.

I use them constantly. Like, on the order of thousands of times per day.
    Full-screen apps. I don't use these at all. I don't really know why - just never got the hang of making an app fullscreen.

I use this selectively. Depends on what I'm doing. It works well for Logic, personally. I usually just do everything through the arranger window, so I just full screen it. Same with iPhoto. But that's about it.
    Resume. This is a big one. The main problem with resume is that my computer isn't super-powerful. When I turn on my Mac, Microsoft Word begins to load, Firefox begins to load, Evernote begins to load, Skype begins to load, Steam begins to load, the list goes on. It slows my computer down.

I started not liking it. But, then I learned to use it to my advantage. I have a few applications I leave running constantly, so I let it resume those on startup. Anything else, I just close the applications like I always did. For what it's worth, upon doing an upgrade install to Lion on my old Macbook, resume took forever. When I did a clean install a while later, it resumed everything in about 1/8 of the time.
    Auto-save. Microsoft Word doesn't support it, and half the stuff I do on iWork gets messed up when I export it to a Windows-friendly file format.

I haven't encountered it much. Very few of my regular applications actually use it. I've encountered it while working in iWork, and it didn't really bother me. It worked fine, but it's really an answer to a question I never asked.
    Versions. Never used this feature at all.

Ditto.
    Air Drop. Ok, I use this sometimes...

Ditto.
    Mail. I use Gmail's web-based email. I like the interface.

I like the new version of Mail. I tried using the browser for e-mail for a while, but I like having a desktop client. I like the interface more anyway.
    iCloud. Yes, I use iCloud...

I use the hell out of it. Contacts, calendars, iTunes Match, bookmark syncing... it all works wonderfully. But, I'd prefer it if they actually had some iDisk-esque storage space in it. Dropbox fills that gap nicely... but I find it odd that the gap is there to begin with.
    Find My Mac. It's right in front of me.

Seems rather unnecessary for a desktop. But, it's a nice feel-good feature for laptops.
    So now, I pose a question. What does everyone think of the new AirPort Utility? I prefer functionality over UI.

I've literally never used it... couldn't say.

floobie on
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Up until Lion I used alt+tab and the dock exclusively for multi-tasking and app switching. As of Lion I don't touch alt-tab and frequently forget the dock exists.

• xraydogxraydog Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    Up until Lion I used alt+tab and the dock exclusively for multi-tasking and app switching. As of Lion I don't touch alt-tab and frequently forget the dock exists.

Same. I mapped Mission Control to a button on my mouse. I like it better than Expose simply because of the app icons. I know what each window is, it doesn't take me more than a split second to figure out what's what.

I still use cmd-tab to switch, or mouse down to the dock and click on something there, but that's probably because mission control is slow to open on my ancient Macbook. cmd-tab is way faster. One day I'll put an SSD in to this thing.

• physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    This is not quite related to Mac OS X, but I thought I'd write it here anyway.

I've just changed the hard drive in my mid-2010 MacBook Pro for a shiny new solid state drive (which cost me an arm). The jump in performance is absolutely astounding. This feels like a brand new computer. iPhoto launches and loads my entire library (approximately 5,000 pictures) in 2 seconds. I'm also impressed by how fast my Windows 7 virtual machine loads through VMware Fusion.

With that kind of performance, I can see why the MacBook Airs are so popular.

3DS Friend Code: 3952-7043-7606
    Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    I wish there were a way I could put a SSD as a second drive into my iMac...it was available as a BTO option on my model, and I likely would have swung for it, but my iMac is a replacement I received via Applecare.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I wish there were a way I could put a SSD as a second drive into my iMac...it was available as a BTO option on my model, and I likely would have swung for it, but my iMac is a replacement I received via Applecare.

There's a way, if you're willing to remove your optical drive.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

You don't even need to do that. there is a spare SATA port inside the newer iMacs; I used mine to hack in an eSATA port (sooooo nice having a RAID0 hooked up to my machine), but you can totally rig an SSD inside the iMac without having to remove anything.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »

You don't even need to do that. there is a spare SATA port inside the newer iMacs; I used mine to hack in an eSATA port (sooooo nice having a RAID0 hooked up to my machine), but you can totally rig an SSD inside the iMac without having to remove anything.

Ah, good to know. Then I would imagine a little velcro tape and a SATA cable and you'd be all set. That said, I sac'd the optical drive on my MacBook Pro to put in two SSDs, and I've only had one instance in a year and a half when I almost-kinda-sorta-barely missed having it.

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    What's an optical drive? :P

I haven't had a single "oh shit..." moment since I got my MBA ~six months ago.

• JasocoJasoco Registered User regular
    Yeah. I don't miss the optical drive in my Air at all. I rarely used the one in my Pro and actually hated that sound it made when I booted up.

If we're listing the Lion features we love, here's my list...

Mission Control: Use it all the time. But I will admit I do wish they'd kept the grid. At least for the Exposé part of MC. At the very least, make it so scrolling expands the windows to spread out better. Right now they barely move enough to find the window I want. I have to switch to the app and swipe down to get App Exposé instead. I also miss being able to hold the mouse down on a Dock icon to show App Exposé. Why remove that? No reason to!

Launch Pad: I use this all the fucking time. It replaced DragThing for me. As soon as I got Lion, DT was first to go. Haven't missed it. LP looks nicer and is integrated with the system. It does have its quirks though. For a while I was having corruption problems where it kept forgetting icon locations. And it sometimes does move single icons around for some reason. It's really buggy. But it works. I do wish I could remove apps from it. It's like iOS. If the app is on the drive, it's in LP. So I had to compromise by making a secondary "Applications (Other)" folder at the root of my drive where I put apps I don't want in LP. But it's silly.

Fullscreen: My god this is amazing and I love the shit out of it. That's all I can say. I just HATE the version they use for iPhoto. I like iTunes FS where it's the actual app taking up the whole screen. iPhoto goes into some weird gimped "Light room" mode. I fucking hate that. Give me the same iPhoto UI in fullscreen mode please! God! I just wish all apps would remember their settings. Occasionally iCal forgets it was FS and other apps like Screen Sharing (Apple's fault) and Chrome (Google's fault) don't remember their setting. So I have to put them in Fullscreen all the time.

Air Drop: Nope. Good idea, poor implementation. I just use DropBox for moving files to multiple machines.

Versions: *sigh* I like the idea. But so far I've only come upon ONE app that uses it. And it's the only app that SHOULDN'T. ScreenFlow. Or should I say ScreenSlowdown-my-machine-when-I-make-a-single-change-because-it-needs-to-make-a-copy-of-a-15-gigabyte-video-file-even-though-the-content-didn't-change-but-it-likes-to-eat-up-my-drive-space-which-I-don't-have-much-of-in-the-first-place. Seriously. Versions should not be used on apps where the content is over 500MB for the most part. I am so glad iMovie doesn't use it. Though if it did, it'd probably handle it much more efficiently than ScreenFlow. Goddamn how could they not know how bad this problem is? And it's not even an option and can't be turned off. I don't need Versions for screen recordings, thank you.

Resume: If we're talking about OS Resume, I actually don't like it. I always quit all my apps when I shut down anyway. So I end up unchecking the box every time. Thankfully this is fixed in Mountain Lion. If we're talking about app Resume. Yes, I use it. I just wish I had more apps that supported it correctly. TextWrangler sometimes forgets what files were opened inside a certain window and PhotoShop CS3 opens the file, but if I was zoomed in when I quit, the window opens at the large size, but the zoom is zoomed out. It looks silly and is obviously broken. Guess it could be fixed by upgrading to CS5 or CS6 or whatever they're on now.

Gestures: All the time. And I use Better Touch Tool for more. I can't live without them and can't use a goddamned outdated mouse anymore. Mice can go to hell. I even game with my trackpad. Yeah. I game with it. FPS games. Like a boss.

iCloud: Yes. God yes. Especially when apps on my Mac sync with apps on my iOS devices. Like iCal. It's awesome adding something to iCal and then watching it immediately show up on my iPad.

• useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    I notice no one is talking about Back to My Mac... if you have an Apple Airport/Time Capsule on the network you can vnc back into your mac with relative ease using your iCloud account.

I have a MacBook Air and I love the crap out of it. But one thing makes me curious about the design. The whole thing is aluminum (Not counting the keys) except for the odd black plastic cover over the hinge. Why make it black plastic? It makes sense on the Pro where the screen is surrounded by a black border. But seems out of place on the Air. Why not just make that part out of aluminum too?

Also, anyone else have the problem with their Air where the trackpad button can't be clicked easily anymore because the battery is apparently expanding? It's really annoying and started recently.

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Jasoco wrote: »
    I have a MacBook Air and I love the crap out of it. But one thing makes me curious about the design. The whole thing is aluminum (Not counting the keys) except for the odd black plastic cover over the hinge. Why make it black plastic? It makes sense on the Pro where the screen is surrounded by a black border. But seems out of place on the Air. Why not just make that part out of aluminum too?

Also, anyone else have the problem with their Air where the trackpad button can't be clicked easily anymore because the battery is apparently expanding? It's really annoying and started recently.

take it in - they will fix that for free.

I have not had that problem though, no

SW-4158-3990-6116

The hinge is plastic because the aluminum interferes with WiFi reception, or so Ive been told.

The hinge is plastic because the aluminum interferes with WiFi reception, or so Ive been told.

You might be right. I didn't think of that. I just think it's interesting that the iPad and iPod's don't have the rubber anymore for the antenna. Do they do something different there? Or is the antenna in those devices going through the glass? (In which case, why was it required before?)

I wish the Apple Store was closer though. But I guess this gives me an excuse to pay a visit. Is it something they do while you wait? Because the store is an hour away and I don't want to have to go back twice.

Does anyone know if I would also be allowed to pay a fee to have them upgrade me to a 256GB SSD? I got the 128GB model because I was a little short at the time, but now I am feeling really constrained after all the Steam sales and need a lot more space. 256 would be great. But I don't know if they'd gladly replace it for me. I'd pay a lot of moneys for it too.

You might be right. I didn't think of that. I just think it's interesting that the iPad and iPod's don't have the rubber anymore for the antenna. Do they do something different there? Or is the antenna in those devices going through the glass? (In which case, why was it required before?)

I wish the Apple Store was closer though. But I guess this gives me an excuse to pay a visit. Is it something they do while you wait? Because the store is an hour away and I don't want to have to go back twice.

Does anyone know if I would also be allowed to pay a fee to have them upgrade me to a 256GB SSD? I got the 128GB model because I was a little short at the time, but now I am feeling really constrained after all the Steam sales and need a lot more space. 256 would be great. But I don't know if they'd gladly replace it for me. I'd pay a lot of moneys for it too.

I don't know if they will.

That being said... if you are interested in paying LOTS of monies...

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Aura_Pro_Express

Easy self upgrade, put a 480GB drive in there that is anywhere from 68% to 3.5 times faster than the stock apple one.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    edited March 2012
    If I'm going to pay those kinds of monies, I might as well wait for Ivy Bridge or Sandy Plains or whatever the next processor generation is and buy a new machine even though I literally just got this only 5 months ago. (And would have had it for 8 or so months by that time.)

I'd settle for a goddamn Thunderbolt powered SSD drive but so far only a few have been announced and even they are expensive as hell. USB2 is so slow. But even worse, the drive I have is even slower.

I just need somewhere to put my Steam folder. It's 35GB now and I had to move it onto an external USB HDD but the drive is extremely slow and freezes the Finder if it is plugged in long enough to overheat. Remind me to never again buy a Western Digital portable Elements drive. I love their desktop USB HDD's and have 4 of them but this one was a big disappointment. Not to mention that the drive has a proprietary USB connection instead of SATA so I couldn't even take it out and put it in a better case. Rant rant rant. Whatever.

I'll have to make a plan to go up to the Apple Store. Did anyone know if it's a problem that could be fixed while I wait or will I have to leave it there because that'd suck.

Jasoco on
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular

The wifi and Bluetooth radios can handle an aluminium enclosure well enough, but the GPS and mobile radios not so much. GPS especially is horribly picky about antenna orientation, and the 3/4G iPads all have a black plastic strip along the top for that purpose.
    The newer iPhones use the aluminium sides as the antennae, so further accommodation is irrelevant and the iPod touch doesn't have mobile/GPS as an option.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

The wifi and Bluetooth radios can handle an aluminium enclosure well enough, but the GPS and mobile radios not so much. GPS especially is horribly picky about antenna orientation, and the 3/4G iPads all have a black plastic strip along the top for that purpose.
    The newer iPhones use the aluminium sides as the antennae, so further accommodation is irrelevant and the iPod touch doesn't have mobile/GPS as an option.

Then why the plastic hinge? Metal on metal not good for longevity?

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Posssibly. Or maybe the all-aluminium thing is just too much relative to the screen size? Or they wanted the radios to still work while the case was closed maybe?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    That plastic hinge is for the antennas. Plain and simple.

It is the same trick they pull with the iPad (black plastic section near the top for communications).

SW-4158-3990-6116
    a replacement battery is a same day service with appointment.

If you are in your first year, they will do it for free. If not, $129

SW-4158-3990-6116

It is the same trick they pull with the iPad (black plastic section near the top for communications).

True, except that about two years ago Apple moved the antenna into the bezel of the optical drive opening.

True, except that about two years ago Apple moved the antenna into the bezel of the optical drive opening.

MacBook Air

Optical Drive Opening...?

SW-4158-3990-6116

MacBook Air

Optical Drive Opening...?

Yes? It's right next to the SCSI port.

• Sharp10rSharp10r Registered User regular
    I have a 4 minute kid's song I am "choreographing." I wanted to make a video of the moves using the iSight camera on my iMac. I opened up Photobooth, but the resulting video was 50 megs! I didn't see any quick way of getting that size down so I could e-mail the file. Am I using the wrong program for that?

Video files take lots of space. You could try compressing it with a program like Handbrake. But even as a well-compressed, SD video file, you're looking at at least 8 megs per minute, give or take.

Sharp10r wrote: »
    I have a 4 minute kid's song I am "choreographing." I wanted to make a video of the moves using the iSight camera on my iMac. I opened up Photobooth, but the resulting video was 50 megs! I didn't see any quick way of getting that size down so I could e-mail the file. Am I using the wrong program for that?
    Don't directly email it. Upload it to dropbox or a video sharing service, and email a private link.

Much easier, and everyone in their IT department will thank you for it.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Dunno if anyone's pointed this out yet...

The Mac version of Neverwinter Nights 2 is 99 cents on the Mac App store.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Dunno if anyone's pointed this out yet...

The Mac version of Neverwinter Nights 2 is 99 cents on the Mac App store.

Sold. I don't know if this will even run on my ancient Macbook but I'm buying it anyway.

• Sharp10rSharp10r Registered User regular
    SOLD!

Yeah, how do you not buy it at that price

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Is there any date at all for the 2012 iMac? Even a rumoured date?

Dhalphir wrote: »
    Is there any date at all for the 2012 iMac? Even a rumoured date?

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

The best place to look for all of this kind of information.

SW-4158-3990-6116