As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[macOS] Sierra is Online. "Hey Siri, I need to get rid of a body."

• Options
    RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
    Cool. Thanks, Syn!

The newer iMac doesn't have any photos on it as we've never downloaded from cameras or synced iPhones with it yet. So I assume I can skip that third party software?

So as for getting the photos off the old Macbook Pro, do I need to copy an iPhone library specifically? Or can I just drag all the thousands of photos to an external drive and just re-import them into iPhoto on the new computer?

And cool, I'll do what you suggested with each of the iPhones.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Is all that stuff synced to your iCloud library or no?

if not yeah you can copy over the IPhoto file and import it into the new computer's iPhoto.

If it's on your iCloud just hook up the new comp to your iCloud account and it'll sync in.

• Options
    RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
    Nah, no iCloud syncing (yet). I should prolly look into that one of these days. For now I just want to get all our stuff in one place.

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    Anybody left in town? flight isn't till 4

• Options
    WRONG THREAD

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Is this where we talk about Apple hardware? Because man, I kinda get the feeling that new Macbook might be the worst product that Apple has put out since the Powermac Cube.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    Is this where we talk about Apple hardware? Because man, I kinda get the feeling that new Macbook might be the worst product that Apple has put out since the Powermac Cube.

I really hoped the leaked shots didn't end up being the final product oh well..

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular

wat

• Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    It looks amazing, but at the price point you're sacrificing a decent amount of performance for thin-ness. I'm currently debating with myself whether to get the 13 inch MBP with new trackpad or this.

• Options
    Bubby wrote: »
    It looks amazing, but at the price point you're sacrificing a decent amount of performance for thin-ness. I'm currently debating with myself whether to get the 13 inch MBP with new trackpad or this.

To be restricted to one single port that is also your charging port, a power sacrifice and battery life drop compared to the other models that lets be honest, the air and the pro are not exactly heavy machines. I wouldn't go near this model as a new mac line. I do hope though they figure out to put at least 2 USB C ports in a future model.

• Options
    I agree, the port thing kills my interest the more I think about it. There's such little utility there, it's like an ipad with a keyboard.

I'm coming from a 15" 2010 MBP so a 13" new one would still feel like night and day to me.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I'm not really sure what niche this new line is supposed to fill with the MacBook Air already being a thing...and I hope this isn't replacing the Air, because it doesn't seem nearly as impressive.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Certainly not this year. I'm guessing that the MacBook is the least popular tier so they're using it to test some new ideas.

• Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    Eeeeeesh. Thirteen hundred bucks for a laptop with a 1.3 GHz processor? I know no one's buying these to game on, but come on, that is the worst deal ever.

• Options
    That's 1.3ghz with the cord unplugged/the CPU in power save mode. When it's plugged in, or you have the battery juice to in to 'turbo' mode, it's 2.5ghz. Also remember that it's a Broadwell machine, so the clock speed efficiency is pretty high. Or in short, ghz is a terrible measure of anything these days.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    I agree, the port thing kills my interest the more I think about it. There's such little utility there, it's like an ipad with a keyboard.

I'm coming from a 15" 2010 MBP so a 13" new one would still feel like night and day to me.

I went from a 2009 15" MBP to a 2013 13" Air and the portability/battery life made up for the loss in screen real estate. It does feel a bit weird at first but its not a killer.

• Options
    Ziggymon wrote: »

I went from a 2009 15" MBP to a 2013 13" Air and the portability/battery life made up for the loss in screen real estate. It does feel a bit weird at first but its not a killer.

I hate the screen on the Air. I do photo/video work so IPS is a must for me, the resolution is a bonus.

• Options
    I use my Air for coding on the go and looking at websites when I'm on the couch playing games. For that, the Air's screen is fine. I can imagine it's not great for photo or video work.

• Options
    Pulled the trigger on a 13" rmbp. Upgraded to the i7 but left it at 256gb and 8gb of ram.

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Ideally my future setup will be a 11" Macbook Air with as much guts as Apple will allow me to put into it, paired with 24"-27" display, effectively making it an iMac that I can take on the go if necessary.

But as it is now my 2010 iMac is still kicking, so I feel no need for new hardware yet. Hopefully the longer I wait the lower the SSD prices will drop anyway.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    I have the last model of iMac they made before they went Retina, that was purchased about a year ago, and I plan to use this as my primary computer for another 4 years or so.

My 11" MacBook Air is now going on 4 years old, and while I am perfectly happy with it from a power perspective, getting a retina display and the new trackpad in a slimmer, lighter form factor along with an extra inch of screen real estate is crazy tempting.

The fact that I have been fine with the performance of my Air leads me to feel like I would be making no compromises going with the new machine.

But even so, I might wait one more year for there to be a revision / spec bump / price drop.

All my  money is going into the watch this year, I think.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Reviews on the new trackpad are really positive.

I might go down to my local Apple Store and muck around with the new 13" MBP that has one to see what the fuss is.

Nobody has said just how pressure sensitive it is, but if the answer is "very" that means we are most definitely moving towards a pressure sensitive iPad and (possibly) iPhone.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    I tried it out today. It takes slightly less pressure to click but you can click anywhere on the pad, and with a little more pressure it goes to the second click. I like it a lot, I ordered a 13" rmbp that gets here Wednesday so I'll post more about it then. Seems like exactly what I wanted out of a new trackpad, though.

• Options
    JibbaJibba Registered User regular
    So I've crossed over to the dark side. Are there any resources or tips I should know about? (outside of the usual generic lists that tell you what Spotlight is)

My Acer ultrabook died 2 weeks ago and it's still in limbo with their service center. The whole process made me realize at this point in my life, reliability and contingency plan are the top priorities I have in a computer. I've used plenty of Macs before, this'll just be the first one of my own since a Mac Classic.

• Options
    Jibba wrote: »
    So I've crossed over to the dark side. Are there any resources or tips I should know about? (outside of the usual generic lists that tell you what Spotlight is)

My Acer ultrabook died 2 weeks ago and it's still in limbo with their service center. The whole process made me realize at this point in my life, reliability and contingency plan are the top priorities I have in a computer. I've used plenty of Macs before, this'll just be the first one of my own since a Mac Classic.

It used to be that you needed a bunch of utilities to really get the most out of the mac... As of 10.10 it does a lot of really great stuff right out of the box, and I find that the old standby pairings of Growl and Quicksilver and such are not as important as they used to be.

When I get a new mac, I always install

- Cyberduck for my FTP needs
    - Textwrangler for my text editing / coding stuff
    - 1password for password management - this thing is god-tier, multiplatform, cloud-synced, and secure as fuck.
    - Transmission for torrent-related shenanigans

And otherwise I am pretty much good to go. Give Safari a spin, especially if you have an iPhone or an iPad. The handoff and cloud tabs are really great features.

Also, enable SMS on your new Mac in Messages and you will be able to respond to all your texts, both blue and green, from your desk. It's awesome.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Spotlight has come a long way in Yosemite but Alfred 2 is still my go-to launcher.

• Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    I prefer Sublime Text to TW, but I have a license for it. Nothing wrong with TW; it's a very good editor.

Ditto'ing Abracadaniel's suggestion of Alfred 2; I definitely prefer it to Spotlight, but Spotlight has come a long way in 10.10.

Cyberduck is pretty good for FTP/SFTP; I like FileZilla too, but it doesn't "fit" too well in OSX. I started using it in Windows (it's definitely my favorite FTP/SFTP client in Windows) and then I noticed it would run on OSX as well so I started using it there. If you don't mind buying software, Panic's Transmit is really good.

1password is indeed awesome, and you can get it on sale right now. The Mac+Windows bundle is going for $48-ish. Which is a good deal.

• Options
    Also Bartender is the light
    http://www.macbartender.com

• Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    One thing I always forget to mention is Homebrew.

If you're a developer and you spend a decent amount of time in the Terminal and you need packages that either aren't available for or customized for OS X, there's a good chance you'll find that someone's configured it properly and that you can get it via Homebrew. Or if you're needing a more up-to-date version of a program/binary (e.g. I needed a newer version of Git for some issue I was running into) Homebrew's pretty great for that too.

Along the developer track as well, Github's Github for Mac app is a pretty nice Git client, if you like using a GUI over the CLI.

For image-editing (when you don't need Photoshop's full stack) I like Pixelmator. A lot of folks also like Acorn (the dev seems like a real cool guy).

If you tend to write a decent amount of Markdown, I've been using MacDown lately. Open to better suggestions on that though.

Randoms:
    - My day-job is Windows development, db-administration, & sys-admining (wheee, hats) so I need to get into Windows boxes pretty frequently. Microsoft's Remote Desktop (iTunes Store link) actually works pretty well (they've been updating it more frequently lately).
    - Chrome is still my browser of choice; mostly because I committed to storing most everything with Google pretty hard a while ago. :P
    - ExpanDrive is pretty cool if you need to mount a remote filesystem/cloud-storage-provider as a disk. I mostly use it for turning an SFTP connection into a mounted-drive.
    - If you happen to have a need for a budgeting/check-register app, I like MoneyWell. The iOS app is free, as long as you're only syncing 1 account between the iOS and Mac versions. Though, the guy who wrote this was recently hired by Apple, and either someone else bought the product from him to maintain, or he just hired someone to maintain it. It hasn't gotten updates as frequently as it should lately.
    - VLC because VLC.

Can't think of anything else at the moment, but that's probably enough for now anyway. :)

• Options
    Marked 2 is awesome for previewing and formatting Markdown docs

TextExpander is something I couldn't live without, on iOS or Mac

nvAlt is great if you any kind of text-file based system

Brett Terpstra's Markdown services are invaluable (brettterpstra.com) if you do anything in Markdown

GIFBrewery is awesome if you play with GIF animations

Adapter is a great free file converter that works with a ton of filetypes

I have an old running list of stuff here too:
    http://dancatchpole.com/blog/2012/8/22/2012-08-22-osx-app-recommendations

Most of it should still be relevant

• Options
    edited March 2015
    syndalis wrote: »
    Jibba wrote: »

It used to be that you needed a bunch of utilities to really get the most out of the mac... As of 10.10 it does a lot of really great stuff right out of the box, and I find that the old standby pairings of Growl and Quicksilver and such are not as important as they used to be.

When I get a new mac, I always install

- Cyberduck for my FTP needs
    - Textwrangler for my text editing / coding stuff
    - 1password for password management - this thing is god-tier, multiplatform, cloud-synced, and secure as fuck.
    - Transmission for torrent-related shenanigans

And otherwise I am pretty much good to go. Give Safari a spin, especially if you have an iPhone or an iPad. The handoff and cloud tabs are really great features.

Also, enable SMS on your new Mac in Messages and you will be able to respond to all your texts, both blue and green, from your desk. It's awesome.
    Thanks for the info!

Is there a Mac email client that plays nicely with MS Exchange? I can get along with Windows Outlook, but from what I've heard Mac Outlook is the worst.

Do you all just used the built in Mail app?

Jibba on
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    New ("beta" Outlook) deets are here but Mail.app should work OK with Exchange, and if not Airmail 2.0 should work pretty darn well.

For personal mail I use Mailplane 3

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    I use the defaul Mail app and I'm generally happy with it.

But were I having to deal with exchange, it's activesync support is mobile tier at best.

I would grab the newest Office Beta, like mentioned, and see what it does for you.

I hear that it is pretty darn close to Windows at this point.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Wooooo posting this on my MBP!

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    I use the defaul Mail app and I'm generally happy with it.

But were I having to deal with exchange, it's activesync support is mobile tier at best.

I would grab the newest Office Beta, like mentioned, and see what it does for you.

I hear that it is pretty darn close to Windows at this point.

15 is pretty good

Outlooks web interface has gotten much better too

• Options
    cornellcornell Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    So, I need a little bit of help. I would like to get a MacBook, mostly for internet browsing, streaming TV, Airplay with my current iDevices, a little bit of work and some light gaming (and maybe EVENTUALLY some audio recording and writing). I have an iPad, iPhone, and Apple TV, as well as a pretty robust PC, but I would definitely prefer a Mac over a traditional laptop. I'd like a machine I won't be inclined to replace in a year or so, even if replacing the hardware isn't practical or possible.

What model should I get? Also, I know these aren't built for games, but realistically will I be able to play casual games like Sims 4 or Civilization V on the current models? If I own these games on my PC through Origin/Steam respectively, will I have to buy new copies because it's a Mac?

Thanks for any input!

Edit: I'm looking right now at the 13.3 Pro, 256 GB

cornell on
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    cornell wrote: »
    So, I need a little bit of help. I would like to get a MacBook, mostly for internet browsing, streaming TV, Airplay with my current iDevices, a little bit of work and some light gaming (and maybe EVENTUALLY some audio recording and writing). I have an iPad, iPhone, and Apple TV, as well as a pretty robust PC, but I would definitely prefer a Mac over a traditional laptop. I'd like a machine I won't be inclined to replace in a year or so, even if replacing the hardware isn't practical or possible.

What model should I get? Also, I know these aren't built for games, but realistically will I be able to play casual games like Sims 4 or Civilization V on the current models? If I own these games on my PC through Origin/Steam respectively, will I have to buy new copies because it's a Mac?

Thanks for any input!

Edit: I'm looking right now at the 13.3 Pro, 256 GB

For what you can get with the price differences, a macbook pro is the ideal choice for light gaming. The air is great for portability and general work but not really good for gaming and the new macbook looks like an expensive entry model right now.

Btw what budget you got? You will want to save a bit aside for Applecare, and im guessing the 256GB is an SSD?

Ziggymon on
  • Options
    cornellcornell Registered User regular
    I would say $1,500 before tax is reasonable. I was looking at Best Buy, and the only options are Flash.

• Options
    cornell wrote: »
    I would say $1,500 before tax is reasonable. I was looking at Best Buy, and the only options are Flash.

None retina display? Flash storage is pretty much the standard now for Mac computers with the larger iMac having the option of having a fusion drive for cheaper mass storage.

So yeah as long as you get the Applecare you are golden. You have any access to student ID? or know anybody with a student ID? Apple do some great discounts for students and can knock upto 75% off the applecare. So might be an option to think about.

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Just to chime in, the 13" MBP is amazing. The 15 felt just a little too big for me.

Wish I had gotten a bigger drive though, I've filled the 256gb quite quickly. Stupid almost m-sata drive