As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Battlestar Galactica] - Daybreak expansion hitting stores now!

• Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    My play group must have missed that rule. Seems like that screws the cylons over. Is it there because cylon leader?

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Its there so execution doesn't clear people as human.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• antheremantherem Registered User regular
    My play group must have missed that rule. Seems like that screws the cylons over. Is it there because cylon leader?

It helps streamline the execution rules and to discourage awful metagame situations (i.e. "execute the admiral to prove he's human"), and makes the number of Cylons in play after the sleeper phase slightly variable.
    Basically, you have one extra card in the deck, and any time a human gets executed or resolves a loyalty card (there's YANACs with actions on them in Exodus) you add another YANAC to the remaining Loyalty deck, reshuffle it, and deal them a new card.

• FlimflammeryFlimflammery There's always money in the banana stand... Oxford, UKRegistered User regular
    antherem wrote: »
    Cylon players (including non-infiltrating Cylon leaders, who are treated as Cylon players) can't be the target of Quorum cards, page 2 of the FAQ. This should really have been in the Pegasus rulebook, but, y'know, FFG.

Argh! Missed that, I was clearly just looking for a specific case about that card, and in a bit of a hurry... so we probably woulda won :(

• Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    antherem wrote: »

It helps streamline the execution rules and to discourage awful metagame situations (i.e. "execute the admiral to prove he's human"), and makes the number of Cylons in play after the sleeper phase slightly variable.
    Basically, you have one extra card in the deck, and any time a human gets executed or resolves a loyalty card (there's YANACs with actions on them in Exodus) you add another YANAC to the remaining Loyalty deck, reshuffle it, and deal them a new card.

Hmm, we've been doing it slightly wrong. Still seems like cylons would lose the majority of times when the cylon is on the bottom of the deck. Don't know how you would solve those problems, otherwise though.

I should play this this weekend.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • antheremantherem Registered User regular
    It's harder for the Cylons for sure if there's only one of them.

• PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Is there any specific resolution order when multiple players can affect something? For example Tigh + Arbitrator during an Admiral's Quarters check - who declares first, if there is a fixed order?

And for that matter, apparently all of these things happen simultaneously or in no defined order

- Dee's OPG
    - Zarek/Tigh/Arbitrator/Chief of staff difficulty mods
    - Interrupt cards like Scientific research & IC
    - Reckless interrupts

• blahmcblahblahmcblah You pick your side and you stick - you don't cut and run when things get ugly. Registered User regular
    I believe whenever there's a timing conflict the order is clockwise from current player, but I'm phone posting without access to the rulebook.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Also there are definitions for Cylon player and Human player that were added in Pegasus that should've helped with the Quorum card. That's why I was curious about location definitions. :)

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Is there any specific resolution order when multiple players can affect something? For example Tigh + Arbitrator during an Admiral's Quarters check - who declares first, if there is a fixed order?

I found this on BGG
    Q: How exactly is the timing of the interactions of character abilities, skill check abilities, and interrupts during the handling of a crisis? (thread)
    A: The sequence of events is as follows:

1. Draw Crisis Card, taking into account Roslin's "Religious Visions"
    2. Read Crisis Card
    3. Starbuck’s "Secret Destiny"
    4. Baltar’s "Delusional Intuition"
    5. Current Player Chooses, taking into account Tory's "Amoral"
    6. Helo’s "Moral Compass"
    7. Boomer’s "Mysterious Intuition"
    8. Political Prowess
    9. Dee's "Fast Learner" (if she decides to add the cards to the skill check, set them aside for the moment), Chief of Staff, Arbitrator, Cylon Hatred, Friends in Low Places, Investigative Committee, Scientific Research, and/or one reckless interrupt (Support the People, At Any Cost, Guts & Initiative, Jury Rigged)
    10. Destiny
    11. Add Dee’s "Fast Learner" cards to the skill check
    12. All players play skill cards into the check, in player order, starting left of the current player (Probation may be triggered by the President)
    13. Chief’s "Blind Devotion"
    14. Shuffle Cards
    15. Reveal Cards
    16. Six’s "Human Delusion"
    17. Cally’s "Quick Fix"
    18. Red Tape, Trust Instincts, Protect the Fleet, Broadcast Location, By Your Command, Special Destiny (order decided by current player)
    19. Trigger Consequences
    20. Total Strength, taking into account Establish Network and Adama's "Inspirational Leader"
    21. Declare Emergency
    22. Determine and Process Outcome, taking into account Iron Will
    23. Adama’s "Command Authority"
    24. Discard Cards
    25. Activate Cylon Ships
    26. Process FTL Icon
    27. Discard Crisis Card

Notes:
    This sequence also works for activating board locations with a skill check associated to them, but in that case the first seven steps and last three steps are ignored. Naturally, Step 8 (Political Prowess) is only used for location activations.
    When playing skill cards into the check, note that (1) A player who is in a Cylon location or in the Brig cannot play more than 1 card; (2) an infiltrating player cannot play more than two cards; (3) Gaeta cannot play more than 3 cards; and (4) Cally cannot play exactly one card unless she is in the Brig.
    There are situations in the game when multiple crisis cards can be played, for instance by Cavil using his OPG, or by using Exodus' State of Emergency. In such instances, remember that "Process FTL Icon" does not mean that the Jump Track is advanced, but that players remember that the Jump Track is advanced at the end of the turn. I.e., the Jump Track can advance multiple times in a turn, but these advances all happen at the very end of the turn. This, of course, is only relevant for Pegasus and Exodus, in which FTL icons on crises that are played with Caprica are activated.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

That's the list I've been following, but look at #9

Thankfully most of those don't come up most of the time. Also @Phyphor I totally mistook you for someone new to the forums with that avatar. Don't you know that the drones need you? They look up to you.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

The drones always need me. I'll be changing it back soon

38thDoe wrote: »
    Thankfully most of those don't come up most of the time. Also @Phyphor I totally mistook you for someone new to the forums with that avatar. Don't you know that the drones need you? They look up to you.

Really the biggest question is the arbitrator / tigh determination (never mind that I've never actually seen an arbitrator appointed) since they provide +3/-3 respectively to the same check, so it may matter if one has to declare first.

I've just decided to let them occur in any order and let the host sort it out

Didn't I appoint one in that 9 month game? I appointed a lot of things...

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

edited April 2013
    What happens on a roll of 7 or 8 with SP played and calculations as a -1? 7 or 8?

Phyphor on
  • CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    Since SP and Calculations both add to the die result, I'd say it would cap out at 8 still.

I think it depends on if you clamp the result to [1,8] after each modifier or only at the end

• Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    I think the method least prone to dumb rules-lawyer arguments is to clamp it only at the end.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    I was going to argue 7, but I just saw this in the BGG BSG FAQ:

Q: Is a die roll capped at 1 and 8? For instance a character plays Best of the Best. Someone plays a Strategic Planning and an 8 is rolled. Do you destroy 8 raiders or 10? With Calculations can it be bumped to 11?
    A: (Tim Uren, FFG, to Danath): For resolving modifications on die rolls, after all modifications to the result have been calculated, any number greater than 8 is treated as an 8. So Best of the Best can destroy a maximum of 8 raiders regardless of an modifications. We may safely assume that the bottom cap of 1 also holds.

So I guess 8!

• GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    Can a pilot who turns out to be a sympathetic cylon continue piloting?

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    FFG Just previewed the Mutineer mechanic.

I really like this an another level of subterfuge. Because every effect has a good and a bad side, it is much, much easier to hide your tracks as a Cylon.. and for a human, the rewards if things work out are pretty awesome.

However, the whole point of the sympathizer card was to help balance the game if things got too swingy with the player that threw off the balance. Again, it's the 3rd expansion to try to get those rules right. I hope they succeed, because obviously this is the last expansion they get a shot at it with.

I wonder if Daybreak will require any of the previous expansions. Given that treachery cards are obviously back and being expanded (likely because of the new Cylon Leaders), it just seems like some parts in the game will need Pegasus.

Part of me still hopes they come out with the rules for playing every expansion in order... You'd likely need much higher resource totals and shorter jump cycles to pull that off, though.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • blahmcblahblahmcblah You pick your side and you stick - you don't cut and run when things get ugly. Registered User regular
    Zarek? Military leader? Wha?

blahmcblah wrote: »
    Zarek? Military leader? Wha?
    As far as leading an armed resistance - ie, a mutiny - that's certainly applicable.

Barely.

• FlimflammeryFlimflammery There's always money in the banana stand... Oxford, UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2013
    He ordered the execution of the entirety of a government body, sounds military to me. Or at least paramilitary.

Flimflammery on
    edited June 2013
    Rare is the series that has made me hate a character as much as BSG made me hate Gaeta and Zerek.

AGoT, of course, is the other.

jdarksun on
  • Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    Do we know how many/who the new Cylon Leaders are? I assume D'Anna and Athena. I wonder if they'll revise that mechanic, I've never much cared for it.

I've always wished for human versions of all the Cylon Leaders, so you could play a Leoben who really was just a human arms dealer, or a Cavil that really was just a sarcastic priest.

• CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    They are changing the agenda mechanic to be two cards pre-sleeper and four after. Each agenda is human or cylon aligned. You need to fufill two of your agendas to win.

Example:

You might have a Leader that is: Humans Win, two red resources, Humans Win: Half vipers destroyed or damaged, Cylons win: Two resources blue, Humans win: President in the Brig.

The leader would win as long as the humans won and two of the conditions were met.

Do we know how many/who the new Cylon Leaders are? I assume D'Anna and Athena.

All of them. Athena, D'Anna, Doral, and O'Neill.

edited June 2013
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Rare is the series that has made me hate a character as much as BSG made me hate Gaeta and Zerek.

Man, I didn't hate Gaeta. Dude had some legitimate complaints and was constantly getting the shaft, I totally understand the road he went down.

I didn't agree with the way he handled it, but I understood.

EDIT: Zarek, on the other hand, can eat a Cylon dick. A Chromejob Cylon dick.

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
    Mutiny episodes were maybe my favorite in the whole series, right up there with Pegasus, so I'm glad to see them represented in the game (other than just Gaeta's character card).

That's good, but I still wish they'd stuck with the 4 core character types, so each game can have a completely different spread of "characters who are Cylons." D'Anna Biers the Political Leader who is just a reporter, etc.

That's good, but I still wish they'd stuck with the 4 core character types, so each game can have a completely different spread of "characters who are Cylons." D'Anna Biers the Political Leader who is just a reporter, etc.

She was a reporter for all of 1 episode. I think the idea of having an outed cylon is a lot more intriguing, and fits better with the knowledge of what the show is trying to convey. Plus.. well.. it's basically "hard mode," and is completely optional.

Athenor wrote: »

She was a reporter for all of 1 episode. I think the idea of having an outed cylon is a lot more intriguing, and fits better with the knowledge of what the show is trying to convey. Plus.. well.. it's basically "hard mode," and is completely optional.

Eh. If we can have a Cylon Adama, we should be able to have a Human Cavil.

Athenor wrote: »

Eh. If we can have a Cylon Adama, we should be able to have a Human Cavil.

Well, I mean

(show spoilers)
    Galen, Tory, Saul, Anders, Boomer. It's a thing in the game.

But I love the Cylon Leader mechanic, so I'm glad they did a thing.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
    Also, if you have a Cylon Adama, you're really screwed.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
    jdarksun wrote: »

Man, I didn't hate Gaeta. Dude had some legitimate complaints and was constantly getting the shaft, I totally understand the road he went down.

I didn't agree with the way he handled it, but I understood.

EDIT: Zarek, on the other hand, can eat a Cylon dick. A Chromejob Cylon dick.
    Gaeta is a betrayer. There is no greater sin.

Tori is pretty horrible too, but I forgive her because it lead to that utterly amazing scene at the end.

I actively despise the Cylon Leader mechanic, so I guess I'm biased against it in general. But I would love to see alternate character cards making all the Cylon Leaders into regular characters. Probably too many alternate types, though, since we're getting Mutineer Zarek, Cult Leader Baltar, etc.