As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Diablo 3 Waiting Thread - Stay a while and glisten

• Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Welp, this is how I rate my interest in the classes now that they've all been announced.

Fuck yeah!: Wizard, Monk
    Nice!: Witch Doctor
    Meh: Barbarian, Demon Hunter

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    pvp arenas is the dumbest fucking thing ever. Seriously, they're bad in every game they're in and given how much of a clusterfuck the've been on WoW, the idea that they'd put them in Diablo 3 is mind boggling.

Hopefully they're completely ignorable and give zero rewards.

EDIT: And the first time a class gets nerfed because of arenas, fuck it. next game.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    TejsTejs Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Fireflash wrote: »
    Welp, this is how I rate my interest in the classes now that they've all been announced.

Fuck yeah!: Barbarian, Monk
    Nice!: Witch Doctor, Wizard
    Meh: Demon Hunter

Tejs on
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Tejs wrote: »

Fuck yeah!: Monk, Monk, Monk, Monk, Monk
    Nice!: Witch Doctor, Mage, Barbarian, Demon Hunter
    Meh: N/A
    Goddamnit: No release date announcement

Halfmex on
  • Options
    DragDrag Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    why does everyone hate pvp arenas? PvP is fun.

Drag on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Definitely still going either barbarian or Witch doctor.

Witch doctor because evil casters are generally my thing (walorck, necromancer, etc).

Barbarian because heavy melee classes get all the cool gear.

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Demon Hunter has potential. I really enjoyed my Amazon back in the day, so I can see rolling one.

The four new classes make me like the barbarian even less. I would've liked to see a new heavy melee class. But I guess there are only so many ways to have a big armored guy run around and beat the shit out of people.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    PvP was never more than tacked on in D2.

PvP balancing always interfered with PvE balancing in WoW.

It could be good in D3, but I don't have a lot of hope.

captaink on
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    I swear to god if they start fucking with the game for god damn arena's I'll...bitch. Take that Blizzard!

Hopefully they talk about something cool for Wizards. :P

True. I don't want another WoW arenas situation where it periodically ruins the game and homogenizes the classes to make it "easier to balance derp derp."

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Drag wrote: »

PvP is fun, but arena PvP isn't.

reVerse on
  • Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    pvp arenas is the dumbest fucking thing ever. Seriously, they're bad in every game they're in and given how much of a clusterfuck the've been on WoW, the idea that they'd put them in Diablo 3 is mind boggling.

EDIT: And the first time a class gets nerfed because of arenas, fuck it. next game.

Yeah, it's a much better idea to give people the pleasure of griefing the people just trying to PvE. :x

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    MenasorMenasor Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

In a game that's focused on it, that's designed around it, yes it is. See League of Legends.

In WoW I hated it because the PvP balance changes fucked up my PvE abilities repeatedly. There's plenty of reason to believe it can or will happen again here.

Menasor on
    Destiny PS4: Earthen1
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I don't know if everyone hates them per se, but lots of WoW players (myself included) have a bad taste in their mouths from how the Arenas kind of fucked with WoW's PvE development. That said, if they take it to Diablo and make it fun there, super. So long as they don't fuck with Diablo's PvE as a result.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    TejsTejs Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

I got enough of that crap in WoW. And If I want to just kill some mans I'll play Halo.

Tejs on
  • Options
    CrovaxanCrovaxan Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    if they keep PvP seprate from PvE why would arena changes effect ur gameplay?

Crovaxan on
    1850973-1.png
    Crovax.436 Steam: Crovaxan
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I can't see any of this shit. Why are people excited about the PvP arenas? Did they show something that doesn't look stupid and awful like WoW's arenas?

forty on
  • Options
    McAllenMcAllen Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Crovaxan wrote: »

Items specific to PVP arenas will always exclude players.

McAllen on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

Because they won't keep it separate. At least, they never did in WoW.

captaink on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Yeah, if.
    forty wrote: »
    I can't see any of this shit. Why are people excited about the PvP arenas? Did they show something that doesn't look stupid and awful like WoW's arenas?

It looked like the arena with the bridge, except without the bridge and with more pillars. Because pillars make PvP fun.

reVerse on
  • Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Halfmex wrote: »

Fuck yeah!: Demon Hunter
    Nice!: Witch Doctor, Wizard, Monk
    Meh: Barbarian

surprised im the only demon hunter lover

the wow pvp/pve balance talk is a little scary, but I have no wow experience so gotta just have faith in blizzard
    arenas look fun, definitely an improvement on random griefing, but I could have done without pvp altogether, dont care much either way. if it turns out good ill try it.

I like how far this is from diablo II, definitely experimenting with this in a way they couldnt/shouldnt have in sc II

valiance on
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Because they'll start taking pve abilities and say "oh man that's unbalanced in pvp we better change the ability." This has happened since the first arena in WoW and it sucks monkey balls (obviously).

They'll also start making different abilities the same for the sake of "balance." Sheep used to last a long time (because it also healed). Now it lasts the same as every other CC. It takes away the flavor of the game.

We. Do. Not. Want. This. Shit. in Diablo 3. Hopefully it'll be like D2 where if they need to balance shit, they do it only for pvp, but I don't have high hopes.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    valiance wrote: »
    Halfmex wrote: »

Fuck yeah!: Demon Hunter
    Nice!: Witch Doctor, Wizard, Monk
    Meh: Barbarian

Fuck yeah!: MONK
    Nice!: Barb, Witch Doctor, Demon Hunter
    Meh: Wizard

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    McAllenMcAllen Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Diablo 3 seems like the next perfect game to have player housing. What else am I going to do with Sigon's Set or Tal Rasha's scraps?

McAllen on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    TheCanMan wrote: »

Yeah, it's a much better idea to give people the pleasure of griefing the people just trying to PvE. :x

This is dumb.

The obvious solution would be to have pvp disabled by default, like it was supposed to be in D2, and for blizzard to actually fix the shit when people break it, so you can't get griefed.

Problem solved.

Plus the idea that puting in an arena will stop people who grief from griefing is idiotic. Totally different mindsets.

WoW has been dicked over too many times by worthless pvp and arena bullshit, screwing over pve and raiding, which is, you know, the actual game, not some tacked on shit, that this announcement spells nothing but bad things for D3.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if they make pvp arenas totally secondary and never try to balance around it. But from WoW I know better than this. I fully expect each patch to break a class because some shitfucker found a way to abuse something in pvp so the core game gets dicked.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    KastanjKastanj __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    That previous guy used the word "cool" in every clause. Coolawesomeepic.

But whatever, I like this new class and Diablo III still vibrates with potential.

Kastanj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Demon Hunter-Lover. You hunt the demon, then you make sweet demonic love to it.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    edited October 2010

This is dumb.

The obvious solution would be to have pvp disabled by default, like it was supposed to be in D2, and for blizzard to actually fix the shit when people break it, so you can't get griefed.

Problem solved.

Plus the idea that puting in an arena will stop people who grief from griefing is idiotic. Totally different mindsets.

WoW has been dicked over too many times by worthless pvp and arena bullshit, screwing over pve and raiding, which is, you know, the actual game, not some tacked on shit, that this announcement spells nothing but bad things for D3.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if they make pvp arenas totally secondary and never try to balance around it. But from WoW I know better than this. I fully expect each patch to break a class because some shitfucker found a way to abuse something in pvp so the core game gets dicked.

I guess I assumed that balancing PvP would be treated completely separate from PvE balance. In D2, they nerfed the crap out of skills when they're used on other players. I just figured D3 would be handled in the same manner. And until I'm proven wrong, I'm going to continue with my assumption so that my hype-boner doesn't soften in even the slightest amount.

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    You can use standard grenade physics with the Demon Hunter's grenades. (IE: ricochet them everywhere)

New favorite class? I think so.

Walt on
  • Options
    DragDrag Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I've never played WoW so I wasn't aware that it messed with balance that much. Diablo 3 seems like it could have really neat mechanics for a PvP/team PvP game though, and I get the impression that a lot of people would prefer PvE only which I think would be an incredible waste of potential. Hopefully the limited number of classes and revamped tech tree mechanics reduce a lot of the balancing issues.

Drag on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Fuck yeah Meteor for the Wizard.

parabola on
  • Options
    SkabSkab Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The gameplay panel is going on right now and ends in like 15 mins. Ill post the recap when it goes up over on the bnet forums.

Supposed to have a lot of new info in it

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Skab wrote: »
    Working on updateing the OP.

I seem to have broke something thought :\

What is supposed to be a link to the PVP Arena stuff is just a duplicate of the Demon Hunter trailer.

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    fuck wasted development time spent on a game function that shouldn't be able to be balanced

it's a waste of time and resources

this will not stop me from buying this at release date and just straight crushing dudes with a barby

kaleedity on
  • Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I remain steadfast in my belief that those who think PvP isn't a worthwhile effort have never played NoX.

Walt on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Skab wrote: »
    Working on updateing the OP.

I seem to have broke something thought :\

What is supposed to be a link to the PVP Arena stuff is just a duplicate of the Demon Hunter trailer.

Ah, whoops. Thanks for the heads up.

Skab on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Walt wrote: »
    I remain steadfast in my belief that those who think PvP isn't a worthwhile effort have never played NoX.

Nox fucking rocked.

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    D3 skill/trait/rune seems very complex.

parabola on
  • Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    well, is nox mainly a diablo clone?

because pvp doesn't really work well in diablo clones by their nature

I'm assuming from what I can tell the gary's mod thing isn't a diablo clone.

kaleedity on
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    reVerse wrote: »

Yeah, if.
    forty wrote: »

It looked like the arena with the bridge, except without the bridge and with more pillars. Because pillars make PvP fun.
    If it's just "two teams go in and fight until one team is all dead," then PASS.

forty on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    In glorious HD for those who havent seen it yet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKeJn-zfm7s

Skab on
    steam_sig.png