As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

If plan A fails, revert to plan A [Your PAX East plans]

• ValantineValantine Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Departing Wednesday morning, driving, then driving, rest stop tomfoolery) then more driving 11.5 hours of driving.

Thursday: shower and nap in the hotel, Boston shopping, site seeing, gamer hobnobbing at the Sam Adams brewery and generally anything not involving driving.

Friday: camping with my coffee, trusty copy of the d'Artagnan Romances and my DSi, deliver the goods(baked) , Keynote, concerts, and much shenanigans. then pub craw???

Saturday: HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME ^.^ have the best Birthday EVER! Fun and games then some games, then some fun, birthday dinner (there WILL be cake! )and maybe party at the hotel room after concerts???

Sunday: float around, do stuff, say my goodbyes :( load up all the swag, pack the car, search frantically for missing (insert most cherished possession here) 11.5 hours of driving.. settle in, upload photos n stuff.
    ~365 days of waiting

Valantine on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited November 2010
    You should be aware, the pub crawl is thursday, not friday.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• ohkateyohkatey Owner of Bitch Team Alpha Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    things i wanna do:

make friends. i live in seattle. i'm traveling by myself to boston and staying in a hotel by myself (no one else i know can afford to spend money on this right now, i was lucky enough to have enough frequent flier miles for the tickets). i need to make some friends to hang out with while i'm there!

i'll be arriving too late to go to the pre-pax dinner, but i'm hoping there's something similar going on another night that i can attend, and i'm not leaving until the 14th.

go to more panels this year... last year i only went to 3. i had a fun time in the exhibition hall but hopefully going by myself i'll get to see more since not everyone has to agree on them.

so, with that said, how do you who also travel alone make friends at pax? i've been to prime the last 3 years but always in a group. i've never had to do this by myself before!

ohkatey on
    pax primer @ <3
  • HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Just start conversations in random lines, offer to play games, generally just put yourself out there! We all try to be friendly, but you have to show that you're interested.

Best way I found was to raise your DS and yell out a game - you'll get a few people interested quickly!

Heleor on
  • KnolandKnoland Hungry Hungry Hippo VermontRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    2010:

Friday:
    • Checked into hotel
    • Got to con center at 12pm
    • Stood in line at BYOC
    • Played LAN games at BYOC
    • Went to keynote
    • Roamed around
    • Looked around exhibit hall
    • BYOC events
    • Concert
    • Much needed sleep

Saturday:
    • Ate w/friends
    • BYOC
    • Freezepop Concert
    • Roamed around
    • Arcade room
    • BYOC SMACK TALK COMPETITION!
    • Much needed sleep

Sunday:
    • Checked out of hotel
    • BYOC
    • Roamed Around
    • Closing ceremonys
    • Checked out of BYOC
    • Felt sad it was over

PLANS FOR 2011:
    • Fried Food Extravaganza
    • BYOC
    • Exhibit Hall
    • Magic the Gathering
    • Dim Sum
    • Roam around
    • NOT MISS A FREE DINNER FROM NVIDIA AND A FREE GTX480

Knoland on
    PAX EAST 2014: Ticket/Enforcing[x] Hotel [x] Travel [x]
  • NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    My number one goal at East: Have fun! :P

Close behind it though: I am bound and determined to play at least one game of Arkham Horror while I'm there. I want to learn this silly game but don't know any locals willing to teach :(

Sky's the limit outside that. I plan to rock out on the PAXTrain on the way up, and probably will get in on the evening games in the hotel lobby that seem to be brewing. During the show I expect I'll have a looksee at the expo hall at least once (it's not really my thing), might see keynote/concerts/panels, and will almost definitely spend more time in the tabletop areas than I did at Prime '10.

Keynote/concerts/panels will probably depend on who's there, I'm not sure if I want to do the whole constant 2 hour lines thing again like I did for most of Prime. It'd have to be something like the Acquisitions Inc game to be worth it again.

Nullzone on
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    For me I just have to try to break out of my shell more than I did last year. I tend to get overwhelmed in places like PAX and end up wandering aimlessly without actually doing anything. Maybe I just need to drink my breakfast - I'm much less stressed out in situations like PAX after one or two beers...

This year my goals are:

Play D&D once - I haven't done that since high school which is now 15 years ago
    Play Magic - I haven't done that since I started teaching which is now 10 years ago
    Try some new board games
    Wait in a few more lines to play stuff on the exhibition floor
    Arrive Thursday

I'd also love to do the Pokemon league but my 6 year old took over my HeartGold that I bought at least years PAX. I don't have the heart to take it back to build up a good team and I can't afford to go buy a new copy :(

Lindsay Lohan on
  • EruditeAphroditeEruditeAphrodite Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Nullzone wrote: »
    My number one goal at East: Have fun! :P

Close behind it though: I am bound and determined to play at least one game of Arkham Horror while I'm there. I want to learn this silly game but don't know any locals willing to teach :(

Ohh, I'd be happy to play with you. I enjoy the heck out of this game, but most of my friends around here don't like it as much.

My goals are as follows

1) Hang out with my PAX peeps
    2) Meet new folk
    3) NOT GET THE FLU
    4) Make sure the girls meetup on Sunday happens. This has been so much fun the last few times, even if I didn't get to sit down much at Prime. n.n I really recommend that ladies sign up soon and come, it's such a great way to get to know each other.

EruditeAphrodite on
    Pretty Gamer - Your one-stop shop for female gamers and geeks. Written by women, for women. Because we all deserve to feel pretty.
  • xipetotecxipetotec Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Well I am completely not sure what to expect as I've never been. So I plan to do as much as I can? :) ... Don't know how to get involved in tabletop games, don't know how to see the concerts... I'm sure more info will become available as it draws close.

xipetotec on
  • FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Why does everyone keep talking about Arkham Horror?

How come I've never even checked out what it was, considering I read most of Lovecraft's works?

How do I get into some of that action?

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • FireWaterFireWater Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    1) FIREFALL FIREFALL FIREFALL (if its there)
    2) Freeplay Tournaments for PC, really looking forward to those.
    3) Keynote would be cool.
    4) Meeting some new gamers.
    5) Maybe check out table top games.

FireWater on
  • RainbowTunnelRainbowTunnel Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    In no particular order:

- play lots and lots of table top games
    - play lots and lots of D&D
    - freak the silly goose outta people
    - Pax Pokemon League
    - MEETING PEOPLE
    This is a social event, so I want some socializing going on. (:

RainbowTunnel on
  • TwinkieTwinkie Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    What I must do:

-Actually organize a legitimate dance group for the Friday night concert

Did someone say "dance"?

Where do I sign up? I'm all ears/legs/hips. :P

Twinkie on
    edited January 2011
    Twinkie wrote: »
    What I must do:

-Actually organize a legitimate dance group for the Friday night concert

Did someone say "dance"?

Where do I sign up? I'm all ears/legs/hips. :P

Add that to my list.

Speaking of concerts, does anyone remember which night Anamanaguchi played last year?

RainbowTunnel on
  • BaconSandwichBaconSandwich Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Speaking of concerts, does anyone remember which night Anamanaguchi played last year?

According to my copy of last year's schedule, it was Protomen, Anamanaguchi, Metroid Metal and MC Frontalot on Friday, VGO, Paul and Storm, and Coulton on Saturday

BaconSandwich on
    PAX East 2010/2011/2012 Omeganaut!
  • ChronoHawkChronoHawk Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    ^-- Bacon is correct

ANYWAY

Last year, my plans were:

Go to the Keynote - Failed due to not getting to check in to my hotel til 3 pm (lesson learned)
    See Anamanaguchi Live - SUCCESS!
    See rest of concerts - SUCCESS
    Get Schwag - SUCCESS!
    Kotaku Panel - SUCCESS!
    Buy some sort of PA Merch - SUCCESS!
    Meet/Get photo w/ Wil Wheaton SUCCESS! (I actually ran into him on the show floor, but he didn't have time to stop for a photo. Thankfully, (and very politely I might add) he mentioned his booth and I got pictures/autographs/books/t-shirts there)
    Manage to get a hold of a Scarf after they sold out - SUCCESS!
    Meet Mike and Jerry - SUCCESS!
    Take LOTS of pictures - SUCCESS!
    Have an AMAZING weekend - SUCCESS

Plans for this year:

Pre-Con

Potentially the Fried Food Extraveganza
    Pre-PAX Dinner
    Poke-Crawl

Con:
    Check out some of the areas I overlooked last year (RB Lounge if it's back, tabletop areas, etc.)
    Get More Schwag
    Get whatever the Exclusive PAX East Item is this year (assuming it's not scarves again)
    Try to run into Mike/Jerry on the show floor
    Attempt Cosplaying (was considering Deathspank but I'm having second thoughts now)
    Seeing all the concerts again (I would like to, but I might look into other options)
    Maybe attend a Developer/Kotaku/IGN Party
    Meet Major Nelson
    Meet some more awesome people.
    Maybe enter a tournament?

I can't think of anything else and this has already gotten long! = P

ChronoHawk on
    I am NOT Rider Miller!!!!

enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    ach.png
  • Lady LilybellLady Lilybell Geeky Crafter & Baker South Shore, MARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I want to do:
    -Be at PAX when it opens, last year we got to PAX around 7pm.
    -Play a game of Munchkins
    -Cosplay for two days, last year it was just Saturday
    - Attend the Coulton/P&S Concert
    -Get my pictures with other Cosplayers over the three days
    -Get an autograph from Performers/Celebrity Guests
    -Talk with Tom Flup again @Newgrounds booth and score some new tees
    -Buy a Pax East Tee or other item.
    -Tote around my Thinkgeek Timmy dressed for the con and get pictures with him and attendees
    -Just have tons of fun

Lady Lilybell on
    5FzIdZ6.png
    I ♥ making awesome crafts! I ♥ my Cookie Brigaders!
    edited January 2011

According to my copy of last year's schedule, it was Protomen, Anamanaguchi, Metroid Metal and MC Frontalot on Friday, VGO, Paul and Storm, and Coulton on Saturday

Thank you, my good sir.

RainbowTunnel on
  • territoiresterritoires Upstate NYRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Well this will be my first PAX (as it seems is the case with many posting here). As such, I intend to basically wander about taking in all the insanity. Coming from a small island, this will be of a scale I can barely imagine. I cannot wait.

territoires on
    I write about games on a few websites.
    Gaming blog
    @lamournumerique
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    ohkatey wrote: »
    so, with that said, how do you who also travel alone make friends at pax? i've been to prime the last 3 years but always in a group. i've never had to do this by myself before!

I went "half-alone" last year to East. I had some friends that were going but we had about equal time doing stuff together as apart. My advice is to find an activity you enjoy, and just start talking to the other people that are doing the same stuff. I had some great line conversations, and met some really cool people. Unfortunately I didn't think to trade gamer contact info with any of them >.<

There was a great suggestion in one of the threads to do business card style gamer cards. Little cards that you could hand out that have maybe an email, XBL ID, Steam ID, etc on them.

Anyhow, I'd just say to be outgoing and talk to everyone. You're bound to find someone you click with given that so many people at PAX are like-minded.

zerzhul on
  • LanderolinLanderolin Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Well this will be my first PAX (as it seems is the case with many posting here). As such, I intend to basically wander about taking in all the insanity. Coming from a small island, this will be of a scale I can barely imagine. I cannot wait.

Mostly this ^^

However, I do have a few specific plans...

~ Pokecrawl

~ attend the Keynote - this will be my first con of any kind, so even if it's not an instantly quotable classic I figure it's going to be a defining moment

~ depending on what I get roped into on a night-time, attend at least one concert

~ play some D&D, or at least some sort of p'n'p RPG - I haven't thrown a dice in anger in about 18 years so now I'm having some sort of mid-life geek rennaisance it's definately on my to do list

~ buy myself some dice

~ cosplay on one or two days (Dr. Robotnik and hopefully Monster in the Dark :D )

~ drink some Bawls. Ever since I heard about it while playing on an American NwN PW I've wanted to try it...

~ grab whatever swag I can from the expo floor - definately some more PA lewt

~ finish off with some epic noms at L'Espalier

I'm naturally pretty shy until the ice gets broken, so I'm hoping that various events/games/badges will facilitate that to allow me to tap the greatest resource that PAX has - the 75K plus like-minded people who are all there to celebrate their passions. Welcome Home indeed.

Landerolin on
    Pokecrawl 2011 - Team Squirtle!
    Tweet me @Landerolin
  • AhkhiraAhkhira Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    My to do list is gonna be tough due to my WORKING the entire con (I'll be working the Magic: The Gathering tournaments- YES, a schedule of events is on its way, I just have to ask the boss man's permission to post it!)

Go "Home" to my wonderful PAX community
    See the expo floor
    Get a t-shirt
    See ANY panel
    Learn to play Munchkin
    Meet lots of cool people
    Enjoy the Boston noms
    THOROUGHLY enjoy "Home," where a 30-something geek chick is never insulted for having a deck of Magic cards in one hand ant TWO pokewalkers clipped on a pocket!

I'd include more, but if last year is in indicator, I will be spending a boatload of time working (DAMN, I LOVE MY JOB!!!!!!) so seeing/doing might not happen, but this is gonna be AWESOME! Is it March yet?!?

Ahkhira on
    Find me at the Magic: The Gathering events!
  • nevermore13nevermore13 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    At PAX East 2010 I spent most of my time attending panels. While it was great and I met some cool people in lines definitely have different goals for 2011.

- Meet lots of reallly cool people (priority number 1)
    - Spend more time on the Expo floor than 2010
    - Go to tabletop
    - Learn how to play D&D if I have not learned yet, otherwise play D&D again
    - Learn other new games (Munchkin is at the top of my list)
    - Try and get to the PA Q&A panels (they were definitely a highlight last year)
    - Maybe attend another concert

nevermore13 on
  • BurtranBurtran Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    After plans fell through to go to the premier PAX East last year, I'll be there with at least one friend in tow this time around. Here's what I want to do/attend:

-Keynote speech!
    -Omegathon (not likely, but would be awesome to even be a part of this)
    -Attend the Omegathon finals, one way or another.
    -Most of the Concerts
    -Teach people how to play D&D, and in the process subject them to the mini-adventure I'm working on right now (my first!)
    -Play board games, D&D, and Magic (I'm bringing the Great Space Race!)
    -Joystiq BBMT Breakfast, if they have it again (hopefully!)
    -Any adventures of Acquisitions, Inc.
    -PA Q&A sessions
    -Get killed at Marvel vs Capcom 3, if it's in the freeplay area.

Burtran on
  • DynomiteyDynomitey Registered User new member
    edited January 2011
    #1 - Bring my PSP with me for the Q line...or ANYTHING to do for that matter
    #2 - Don't miss Keynote... exibits are always there
    #3 - Hit up the concerts, and wait outside for a seat if I don't get a wristband...doesn't take long to get in
    #4 - Get to things I really want to see early so I can get in
    #5 - carry a bigger bag for my swag
    #6 and most important - Bring a Sharpie with me so I can have my badge autographed when I run into awesome people

Dynomitey on
    edited January 2011
    there are no concert wristbands anymore

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Kirking AroundKirking Around Registered User new member
    edited January 2011
    My plans for PAX East last year were very broad, (getting swag and the like) because I didn't know what to expect at all. However, after experiencing PAX a first time, I definitely have goals for this upcoming one!

-Actually cosplay this time. I was on the fence about it last year, but now my problem is just choosing between Harley Quinn, Hit Girl, Leeloo or Lightning :X

-Attend a game developer/IGN/Kotaku party. I want to network and being able to meet these people is definitely a way to!

-Meet people. I pretty much met like 2 people last year that I didn't know before. I am coming with friends, yes, but meeting new people is pretty awesome too. :D

-Get more swag. I stood in line so much for the panels that I wound up missing lots of potential swag D:

- And maaaaybe the Pre-Pax dinner. Haven't decided if I'm heading up there on Thursday yet

Kirking Around on
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

-Get more swag. I stood in line so much for the panels that I wound up missing lots of potential swag D:

I did the exact same thing - waited for panels or just wandered and kept saying "I'll come back to wait in line for GameX and the swag that they're giving out" and never came back. I missed buying several things (PAX Scarf, stuffed Maw) for the same procrastinating reasons.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • heelsheels Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Plan A: Sleep.

Plan B: Not sleep.

heels on
    < devious1> heels: you are worst idea person ever

http://twitter.com/h_e_e_l_s

www.reedpop.com
  • undeadundead Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Although my status to attend this con is still 50-50 (I won't know until just before the convention if I can attend), I can guarantee Munchkin fans that, if not me, someone will be running demos.
    If I may ask everyone intersted in learning Munchkin or wanting to try a particular deck to pm me with which deck you would like to try, I will let you know if I'm attending or not and if not, I'll pass along that info to the MIBs attending.
    Thanks, and I do hope against hope to be able to attend (had a wonderful time last year).

undead on
    As I am, so shall ye be.

Yahoo group GCIACST
  • Jim JonesJim Jones Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Last year my only must was to see Wheaton's keynote. Mission Accomplished! I ended up going to a lot of panels, spending some time in the retro arcade and rockin' out at the concerts.

This year I think I'm going for a more community-focused PAX. I want to:
    • Talk to people and make friends
    • Play board/rp/war games
    • Make a mad swag run
    • Party like there's no tomorrow (including Pokecrawl)
    • Indulge in seafood

I'm going to do it up right this time. If I don't come back hung over, dead tired, deathly ill and with 20 new friends, I haven't done my job!

Jim Jones on
  • SilverEternitySilverEternity Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Having never been to PAX before...question...

Is it better to arrive on Wednesday night and attend all the pre-PAX events happening on Thursday, then leave Sunday night before the Omegathon final

or

Arrive Thursday night (missing all the pre-PAX events) then leave Monday morning?

SilverEternity on
  • NullthreadNullthread Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Whoa, that's a lot of people who want to learn Munchkin all of a sudden?
    Advice: duuuuuuuuu eeeeeeeeeeeeet. Pretty much awesome times were had at PAX before the Con "officially" closed playing boardgames.

> I plan to not sleep, duh. Do the same I did before, but this time, bring a sketchbook for the lines (most of the time just talked to people....put just in case there's another awkward-one like me....)

> But for sure, this time for sure, I will attend Scott Kurtz's night. This will happen.

> I also plan to pick up games not seen before. At PAX Prime I picked up Oni-rim (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/71836/onirim) from the Z-man games booth, and oh, I loved that little thing to death.

> Oh, and pokecrawl. NO DENYING THE AWESOME.

Nullthread on
    edited January 2011

Is it better to arrive on Wednesday night and attend all the pre-PAX events happening on Thursday, then leave Sunday night before the Omegathon final

or

Arrive Thursday night (missing all the pre-PAX events) then leave Monday morning?

Arrive Thursday morning and leave Monday morning.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• SilverEternitySilverEternity Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »

or

Arrive Thursday morning and leave Monday morning.

That would be fabulous; unfortunately it is not an option as I only get two personal days.

SilverEternity on
    edited January 2011
    In that instance, leave Sunday night, take the redeye home and sleep on the plane.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Revised my own plans (a bit). OP updated.

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • RandomfoolRandomfool loofmodnar Rochester, NYRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Last year I planned on showing up Thursday and doing lots of stuff but didn't end up getting there until Sunday.

This year, I'm going to show up and do stuff starting with the Pokecrawl.

Randomfool on
    I do Pokecrawl things. Professor Team Instinct, Hufflepuff supporter.@loofmodnar

B4o6XD4.png
  • gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It's my first time so I really just want to see what it's like. Definitely need to re-learn how to play Magic and get back into that. Not too sure if I want to do the dinner or the poke-crawl.

gigabrain on
    fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247
  • ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Giga: you definitely want to do the Pokécrawl. It's a LOT of fun and a great way to make some new friends. The dinner is great, too, although it's in a new venue this year.

PS - Say hi to Steph for me! ;)

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!