Options

PAX East 2011 BYOC Info/FAQ - SOLD OUT!

• Options
    [H]olyGeekboy[H]olyGeekboy PAX dad and PC builder ClevelandRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2010
    itzerokewl wrote: »
    Bridge building at East last year was totally awesome (this coming from one of the guys who won), but lots of cool bridge designs and lots of fun to be had!

What is this bridge building thing?

Last year for the BYOC "low tech" competition we had to build bridges out of popsicle sticks and simple school glue, at the end of the competition the judges (BigRed) put weight on the bridges to see which could hold the most weight, had a great time building our bridge and more fun destroying it at the end!

Sounds right up my alley, since I'm majoring in mechanical design. :P

ZeroKewl, you guys won first, but Gentlemanne and I took second and scored a lovely pair of Antec Mini-Skeleton cases. Mine houses a Zotac board for a HTPC now! :D

I think BYOC is *THE* elite area in PAX. It's got to be the best-kept secret, since most of the non-PC gamer types had no idea what was going on there. Hella, hella awesome.

[H]olyGeekboy on
    p3HkbcM.png
  • Options
    itzerokewlitzerokewl Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Bridge building at East last year was totally awesome (this coming from one of the guys who won), but lots of cool bridge designs and lots of fun to be had!

Last year for the BYOC "low tech" competition we had to build bridges out of popsicle sticks and simple school glue, at the end of the competition the judges (BigRed) put weight on the bridges to see which could hold the most weight, had a great time building our bridge and more fun destroying it at the end!

ZeroKewl, you guys won first, but Gentlemanne and I took second and scored a lovely pair of Antec Mini-Skeleton cases. Mine houses a Zotac board for a HTPC now! :D

I think BYOC is *THE* elite area in PAX. It's got to be the best-kept secret, since most of the non-PC gamer types had no idea what was going on there. Hella, hella awesome.

GeekBOY!!! Yeah, you guys had awesome bridge too. BYOC is totally the most awesome place at PAX! Will you be brining a new mod with you this year?

itzerokewl on
    signature.png
  • Options
    [H]olyGeekboy[H]olyGeekboy PAX dad and PC builder ClevelandRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2010

GeekBOY!!! Yeah, you guys had awesome bridge too. BYOC is totally the most awesome place at PAX! Will you be brining a new mod with you this year?

Of course! Something a little different. Here's where I am with it so far:

casemod1.jpg

[H]olyGeekboy on
    p3HkbcM.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I've been practicing my bridge-building skills with toothpicks, hence popcicle sticks will be a walk in the park.

The biggest obstacles for most were the inconsistent quality of popsicle sticks (slightly varied in length and most were bent/warped a little) and getting the glue to try in time for testing.

[H]olyGeekboy on
    p3HkbcM.png
  • Options
    It's not a tumorIt's not a tumor Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I've been practicing my bridge-building skills with toothpicks, hence popcicle sticks will be a walk in the park.

The biggest obstacles for most were the inconsistent quality of popsicle sticks (slightly varied in length and most were bent/warped a little) and getting the glue to try in time for testing.

Sounds like people should bring a hairdryer with them.

It's not a tumor on
  • Options
    GentlemanneGentlemanne Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    antherem wrote: »
    How beefy of a computer would you need to bring to not be mercilessly mocked?

I would not worry about it if I were you, I was playing on a Mac all weekend and managed not to get harassed.

Gentlemanne on
  • Options
    WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    antherem wrote: »
    How beefy of a computer would you need to bring to not be mercilessly mocked?

I would not worry about it if I were you, I was playing on a Mac all weekend and managed not to get harassed.

Must've missed you :P, nahhhhh PAX is always accepting to any type of gamer, remember? Especially BYOC! BigRed is soooo nic-- considera-- handsom-- tall! Oh except the law everyone knows and if I say it, it will become even more overused...

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I think my buddy will also be rollin' a mac this year, so ye mac users will not be alone this year!

itzerokewl on
    signature.png
  • Options
    macrogeekmacrogeek Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    We had 2 mac laptops in our group last year. I brought a little Pentium D Micro ATX box w/ a 8600GTS in it. Not powerful, but portable enough to take to PAX. I never heard anyone talk bad about another player's rig.

macrogeek on
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    FYI: BYOC is close to selling out

After we sell out theres still a chance that you can get in. If someone gets a refund on a ticket their freed up ticket goes back into the public pool. Just like the past 2 years ticket transfers are not allowed (to eliminate scalping). After we sell out the only way to get in is to keep watching the page to see if someone got a refund.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    ransimransim Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Whew that was close! Snagged two seats one for myself and one for Robziel.

I did notice though it only let me put personal information in once and used that for both tickets. I'm assuming that won't be an issue or do I need to somehow go in and fix his entry?

Both have been paid for though but its listing me twice.

ransim on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Its supposed to. Its not an issue though. You will just have to be the one that picks up both tickets.

BigRed on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    28 seats left!

BigRed on
  • Options
    benswimmingbenswimming PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Nice, happy to see there will be more bodies this year in BYOC, hopefully we can play more then last years constant TF2.

benswimming on
    PAX EAST 2011 Omeganaut
    Twitter: sweeneyben
    XBL: Disco Ball
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Nice, happy to see there will be more bodies this year in BYOC, hopefully we can play more then TF2.

I'd like to see some DoW 2 (even if I suck at multi), or even L4D2. As it is I don't even have TF2.

It's not a tumor on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Nice, happy to see there will be more bodies this year in BYOC, hopefully we can play more then TF2.

I'd like to see some DoW 2 (even if I suck at multi), or even L4D2. As it is I don't even have TF2.

I have TF2... it hasn't been installed on my machine in ages.

I'd be down for L4D/L4D2, or some stalker, or even some CoH TF runs if there are other CoH players (saw WoW in the FAQ list so I assume there is internet good enough for MMO stuff).

I will admit I have some vague concerns since I don't generally play or even own the "popular" multiplayer games.

ransim on
  • Options
    AxonAxon Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm in for some LFD2.

Axon on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    LFD2 could be fun, haven't played it in ages!

itzerokewl on
    signature.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    ransim wrote: »
    I'd be down for L4D/L4D2, or some stalker, or even some CoH TF runs if there are other CoH players (saw WoW in the FAQ list so I assume there is internet good enough for MMO stuff).

For a minute I assumed you were talking about Company of Heroes, then I realized you meant City of Heroes.
    I will admit I have some vague concerns since I don't generally play or even own the "popular" multiplayer games.

If it makes you feel any better I don't have a single Call of Duty game on my pc and generally don't buy pc games unless they're on Steam sales. :P

It's not a tumor on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    SOLD. OUT.

[H]olyGeekboy on
    p3HkbcM.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Remember all is not lost.

If people get a refund on a ticket then their ticket is made available to everyone again.

There are always cancellations closer to the event.

BigRed on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    That didn't take long. Glad I didn't procrastinate.

It's not a tumor on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    ransim wrote: »

For a minute I assumed you were talking about Company of Heroes, then I realized you meant City of Heroes.

If it makes you feel any better I don't have a single Call of Duty game on my pc and generally don't buy pc games unless they're on Steam sales. :P

Hah yeah City of Heroes, I always forgot that other game has the same acronym. But I'm the same way I generally only buy games on Steam sales and I don't really do most of the popular FPS games. But I've got no problem picking up a game or two if there seems to be some popularity before PAX East.

ransim on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I remember last year we had dedicated TF2 servers, which were fun, hopefully this year we can get a dedicated SC2 server?

itzerokewl on
    signature.png
  • Options
    PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I remember last year we had dedicated TF2 servers, which were fun, hopefully this year we can get a dedicated SC2 server?

I don't think there is something like that available for SC2 yet. Although there are rumors about a tournament edition that exists. I know that both MLG Dallas and Blizzcon were played through battle.net and it caused legitimate problems. There was a 2v2 BYOC tourney at Prime though [announced at the last minute].

PeasantDave on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Plus... RTS games dont have dedicated servers :P

BigRed on
  • Options
    TipperzackTipperzack Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    How can they be sold out so fast?
    Well does any one have any too spare?
    I need two

Tipperzack on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Tipperzack wrote: »
    How can they be sold out so fast?
    Well does any one have any too spare?
    I need two

Red can answer better than I can, but usually there are 300 BYOC spots. Last year, I think they only sold about 220 other than the Intel/nVidia vendor spots. So that's about how many there were this year.

Registration was open for three weeks before it sold out, that's not that fast if you think about it. I can understand if it sold out in 4 hours or 2 days, but reg was open for three weeks. :(

[H]olyGeekboy on
    p3HkbcM.png
  • Options
    Zer078Zer078 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    that was fast

Zer078 on
    PAX EAST: 3 day pass
    Pc gamer for life
  • Options
    TipperzackTipperzack Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Well last year I bought the tickets from the door..
    So I think its kind of odd that tickets are sold out by now.
    I guess people will drop out coming the event.

Tipperzack on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Last year was also the first year so it didnt sell out. BYOC is almost the same size as last year. I suspect for 2012 we will have more space.

BigRed on
  • Options
    MxWoodMxWood Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I have the worst issues dealing with that site, I got 5 tickets from them and tried to refund one, opened a ticket with the ticket number and they ended up refunding a completely different one, so now they're working to switch them, just annoying issues.

More importantly, have people played dominions 3?

MxWood on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I thought there was around 300 seats last year at east

Zer078 on
    Pc gamer for life
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Zer078 wrote: »

It was advertised as 300 seats available, IIRC about 60 were taken by vendors near the end and even then, it did not sell out. From what I heard of Prime, the BYOC would always sell out well in advance.

Frankly I think filling only 216 PC gaming seats at a gaming con with over 50,000 attendees is kind of sad, but such is the state of PC gaming/modding. :\

[H]olyGeekboy on
    p3HkbcM.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010

It was advertised as 300 seats available, IIRC about 60 were taken by vendors near the end and even then, it did not sell out. From what I heard of Prime, the BYOC would always sell out well in advance.

Frankly I think filling only 216 PC gaming seats at a gaming con with over 50,000 attendees is kind of sad, but such is the state of PC gaming/modding. :\

i broke down and bought a console earlier this year :(

Zer078 on
    Pc gamer for life
  • Options
    David CoffmanDavid Coffman Registered User, PAX Staff regular
    edited November 2010

Keep in mind that's just for BYOC. We'll also have a few hundred systems for PC Freeplay and Tournaments.

David Coffman on
  • Options
    WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    217... god help us all...

Image link incase something changes...
    BYOCProof2.bmp

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    So apparently Bioshock 2 is going for cheap on GFWL. . . anyone planning on having a copy with them? I've never tried the multi when I had it on the 360 and thought this would be a good excuse to pick it up again.

It's not a tumor on
  • Options
    chenry888chenry888 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Are most people going to be playing L4D2 and TF2?

Hopefully, there's going to be alot of SC2 players there, SC2 and BFBC2 is all I got...

chenry888 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I would suggest getting the popular valve games then :P

BigRed on