As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fallout New Vegas: Post in the NEW thread, you dorks.

• Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Is it just me, or can barter be used for just about as many "bypass this situation" as speech?

Also, it seems like quick-save is working for me again. Thank goodness

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Is it just me, or can barter be used for just about as many "bypass this situation" as speech?

Also, it seems like quick-save is working for me again. Thank goodness

Only when you are dealing with things like Merchants or people who care significantly about money

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    How the shit do I get into the radio tower in Black Mountain?

CaptainNemo on
    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    GreenleafGreenleaf Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Three Dog > Mr. New Vegas

Greenleaf on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Man there are so many throw backs and returning minor characters that I'm gonna end up having to replay F1 and F2 yet again to keep it fresh in my head so i can recognize it all.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    Okay, the thermic lance is fucking badass. I can't wait to try it out against giant radscorpions or deathclaws. It just degrades a little quickly for my tastes (DAM went from 61 to 58 after two bloatflys and two worker ants). Hopefully it's easy to find repair parts.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Is anybody else having their companions just up and freakin' dissapear on them?

I just spent an hour working on Whisky Rose's caravan quest line only to have her not show up after a fast travel and now I got no idea where she is.

RT800 on
  • Options
    ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Beat the main quest, NCR Side, tonight. I'm still overwhelmed at the amount of stuff I didn't do.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Any merchants with a lot of caps?

CaptainNemo on
    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Boone is pretty obviously the companion meant for players who tag Speech, Science and Lockpicking, then dump Str and Agility.

"I would love to work this out amicably, but if that's not an option I guess we'll just *handsignal* *dead*"

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Any merchants with a lot of caps?

I think I remember the Gun Runners robot having a good amount.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Did anyone else notice the paintings of the NCR president?

more specifically
    What looks like the legs of a giant robot behind him?

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Greenleaf wrote: »
    Completly disagree. Hell, Wayne Newton was a teenager in the 50's.

Also Three Dawg is really annoying 90's guy that makes fart jokes. I have no idea what he has to do with Fallout.

C2B on
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Boone is pretty obviously the companion meant for players who tag Speech, Science and Lockpicking, then dump Str and Agility.

"I would love to work this out amicably, but if that's not an option I guess we'll just *handsignal* *dead*"

Boone outdamages me with his rifle even though I have a well-maintained Gauss Rifle, 8 Agility, and 100 Energy Weapons skill D:

and most of the time it's literally me picking a lock I shouldn't, someone squawking in the distance "hey! He's over he-" then the slow motion death sequence plays.

MrDelish on
  • Options
    SimpsonsParadoxSimpsonsParadox Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    That's it. I quit. Unless I'm doing something horribly wrong, a certain thing has pissed me off so damn much that I am honestly thinking of taking my New Vegas disk and smashing it with a hammer. Minor story 'get these people to like me spoilers' inside. Warning, a bit ranty.

FUCK YOU GREAT KHANS. FUCK. YOU. AND FUCK OBSIDIAN FOR THEIR BULLSHIT INVISIBLE WALLS TOO!

"Hurf durf the people you have to convince are A: A guy you just have to pass a speech check for, B: Another guy you have to pass a speech check for OR do a quick run quest for his lady friend and C: A chick who wants to be an explorer! Oh, did we mention that explorer chick is surrounded on 3 sides by invisible walls and on the fourth by A FRIGGIN QUARRY OF GODDAMN SON OF A BITCH DEATHCLAWS? OOPS! OUR BAD!" AOwiho;awihje;oahiwo;eh;aoiwheoiahweohawoihea;wiuheoiwa.

I don't mind deathclaws being killing machines. I don't mind that I have to get super duper ammo and super guns to kill them. But they should be OPTIONAL, not forced down my throat if I want to do anything related to a peaceful solution to the Great Khans. I might be missing something, though! Perhaps I'm supposed to flank the quarry on the north side, by either going east, through....oh, through more deathclaws. Hmmm, perhaps to the west, where....oh! Giant Radscorpions. Great. Fucking wonderful. Just perfect.

The real fucking kicker to all of this? According to the strategy guide,

HAHAHA! Psych! The peaceful option means you still have to kill the Great Khans because Papa Khan will never ever ever join the NCR. Whoops! Boy, thats not a fuck you to the players! Nope. And on the off chance that nobody sees you and you manage to get away with it, so much for the 'no kills' playthoughs!

Please tell me I'm doing something wrong. Please tell me that there's a path I'm missing somewhere that will at least allow me to skirt around most deathclaws. Please tell me that I don't have to scrap my entire arsenal because, whoops, nobody sells any AP .44 mag, HE 40 mm, AP 5.56, or any type of good 12 gauge and lolz the handloader perk happens to have given me all of NOTHING for any of those! Please tell me that I'm not forced to fight my way through an entire quarry of deathclaws just to continue on the main story path.

For reference, I'm using a Trail Carbine (Does little to nothing unless I can get a sneak attack, which isn't likely), Hunting Shotgun, Thump-Thump (Unique Grenade Rifle), and the Service Rifle. I only use the Service rifle when Miss Fortune shows up and cripples the Deathclaws legs so I can save on my actual ammo (Actually, the only deathclaws I've managed to kill, even AFTER cranking the difficulty down to 'very easy', have been Miss Fortune taking at least one leg out). I'm at level 15/16ish, super good rep with the NCR, and have 18K caps, so money really isn't an issue. The problem is nobody will actually sell me anything. I've waiting for days at a time at the gunrunners, and nope, nothing new from them (just minor variances).

-edit- Companion wise, I'm using Veronica in Power Armor and ED-E, but they die in two hits. I would use Boone, but I know from experience (trying to maneuver my way to one of the Ranger camps) that all he does is pull even MORE deathclaws down on me and die easily.

SimpsonsParadox on
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    How the shit do I get into the radio tower in Black Mountain?

Key's under the back steps, boyo. Check the computers next time.

SimpsonsParadox:
    Skirt around the back ridge of where Melinda or whatever is located, there's a very small path to get around to where she is perched up on the ridge over the quarry. You are likely to run into at least one Deathclaw group but either run like crap or sneak kill the shit out of them. Bring Boome for added firepower, you definitely want to pick off Deathclaws while they're miles away. DO NOT GO THROUGH THE QUARRY. That way lies madness.

The guide is lying. There is a peaceful option to get the Khans out of the picture entirely without having to murder any of 'em.

I am unsure if my advice will help because I was around 5 levels above where you were at this point.

Jintor on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Sounds like you need a power fist. Or a sledge hammer.

Works wonders on big critters.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    That's it. I quit. Unless I'm doing something horribly wrong, a certain thing has pissed me off so damn much that I am honestly thinking of taking my New Vegas disk and smashing it with a hammer. Minor story 'get these people to like me spoilers' inside. Warning, a bit ranty.

FUCK YOU GREAT KHANS. FUCK. YOU. AND FUCK OBSIDIAN FOR THEIR BULLSHIT INVISIBLE WALLS TOO!

"Hurf durf the people you have to convince are A: A guy you just have to pass a speech check for, B: Another guy you have to pass a speech check for OR do a quick run quest for his lady friend and C: A chick who wants to be an explorer! Oh, did we mention that explorer chick is surrounded on 3 sides by invisible walls and on the fourth by A FRIGGIN QUARRY OF GODDAMN SON OF A BITCH DEATHCLAWS? OOPS! OUR BAD!" AOwiho;awihje;oahiwo;eh;aoiwheoiahweohawoihea;wiuheoiwa.

I don't mind deathclaws being killing machines. I don't mind that I have to get super duper ammo and super guns to kill them. But they should be OPTIONAL, not forced down my throat if I want to do anything related to a peaceful solution to the Great Khans. I might be missing something, though! Perhaps I'm supposed to flank the quarry on the north side, by either going east, through....oh, through more deathclaws. Hmmm, perhaps to the west, where....oh! Giant Radscorpions. Great. Fucking wonderful. Just perfect.

The real fucking kicker to all of this? According to the strategy guide,

HAHAHA! Psych! The peaceful option means you still have to kill the Great Khans because Papa Khan will never ever ever join the NCR. Whoops! Boy, thats not a fuck you to the players! Nope. And on the off chance that nobody sees you and you manage to get away with it, so much for the 'no kills' playthoughs!

Please tell me I'm doing something wrong. Please tell me that there's a path I'm missing somewhere that will at least allow me to skirt around most deathclaws. Please tell me that I don't have to scrap my entire arsenal because, whoops, nobody sells any AP .44 mag, HE 40 mm, AP 5.56, or any type of good 12 gauge and lolz the handloader perk happens to have given me all of NOTHING for any of those! Please tell me that I'm not forced to fight my way through an entire quarry of deathclaws just to continue on the main story path.

For reference, I'm using a Trail Carbine (Does little to nothing unless I can get a sneak attack, which isn't likely), Hunting Shotgun, Thump-Thump (Unique Grenade Rifle), and the Service Rifle. I only use the Service rifle when Miss Fortune shows up and cripples the Deathclaws legs so I can save on my actual ammo (Actually, the only deathclaws I've managed to kill, even AFTER cranking the difficulty down to 'very easy', have been Miss Fortune taking at least one leg out). I'm at level 15/16ish, super good rep with the NCR, and have 18K caps, so money really isn't an issue. The problem is nobody will actually sell me anything. I've waiting for days at a time at the gunrunners, and nope, nothing new from them (just minor variances).

-edit- Companion wise, I'm using Veronica in Power Armor and ED-E, but they die in two hits. I would use Boone, but I know from experience (trying to maneuver my way to one of the Ranger camps) that all he does is pull even MORE deathclaws down on me and die easily.

You realize smashing your disk is an entirely fruitless endeavour right

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm a little confused about a quest. Stuff with the Van Graffs and Crimson Caravan within:
    I did the little courier quests for the Crimson Caravan lady. We were on good terms.

Then in Freeside I went into the Van Graff building and did the woman's quest with giving the package to a guy in the middle of the desert. Next quest, Jean-Baptiste tells me to bring Cass to him to talk. I do so, then he says he's going to kill her to shut down competition or whatever. Which doesn't really make sense, considering Cass already sold out to the Crimson Caravan, but whatever. I say, "if you fuck with her, I'll kill you." I do so, kill everyone in the building and the guy outside. Now Cass is saying she wants to go "settle things" with the Crimson Caravan lady, who I'm cool with.

Am I missing something here? Is this just the result of doing things out the develop-dictated order? This whole thing doesn't seem to be making much sense here. Luckily I saved before the shit went down, so I can revert to that if necessary.

Graviija on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    MrDelish wrote: »
    OptimusZed wrote: »

Boone outdamages me with his rifle even though I have a well-maintained Gauss Rifle, 8 Agility, and 100 Energy Weapons skill D:

and most of the time it's literally me picking a lock I shouldn't, someone squawking in the distance "hey! He's over he-" then the slow motion death sequence plays.
    I was scavenging parts for repair kits right outside Novac, and No-Bark got mad and aggro'd on me.

Boone proceeds to kill the whole town, including a traveling trader.

He's an animal.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    GreenleafGreenleaf Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    C2B wrote: »
    Greenleaf wrote: »
    Completly disagree. Hell, Wayne Newton was a teenager in the 50's.

Also Three Dawg is really annoying 90's guy that makes fart jokes. I have no idea what he has to do with Fallout.

Mr. New Vegas comes across to me as a drunk. His lines even sound slurred.
    I was looking forward to Wayne as the new DJ because I respect him for his role in Best of the Best 2.
    But he's way less interesting to listen to than Three Dog.

I didn't like Kris Kristofferson's performance, either. It was pretty flat considering the material.

Matthew Perry and Felcia Day did pretty well, though.

Greenleaf on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Graviija wrote: »
    I'm a little confused about a quest. Stuff with the Van Graffs and Crimson Caravan within:
    I did the little courier quests for the Crimson Caravan lady. We were on good terms.

Then in Freeside I went into the Van Graff building and did the woman's quest with giving the package to a guy in the middle of the desert. Next quest, Jean-Baptiste tells me to bring Cass to him to talk. I do so, then he says he's going to kill her to shut down competition or whatever. Which doesn't really make sense, considering Cass already sold out to the Crimson Caravan, but whatever. I say, "if you fuck with her, I'll kill you." I do so, kill everyone in the building and the guy outside. Now Cass is saying she wants to go "settle things" with the Crimson Caravan lady, who I'm cool with.

Am I missing something here? Is this just the result of doing things out the develop-dictated order? This whole thing doesn't seem to be making much sense here. Luckily I saved before the shit went down, so I can revert to that if necessary.
    Unfortunately, Cass's companion quest and the Van Graff companion quest intersect in weird ways. It looks like taking out the Van Graffs triggers a script for later in Cass's companion quest which gives you a goal that you are unaware of.

Anyway, short version is reload and wait to trigger Cass's quest before you deal with the Von Graffs, if you want context anyway.

Jintor on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Graviija wrote: »

There is a reason behind this, it involves doing the quest Cass gives you through dialog with her after she joins you.
    Basically what it boils down to is that the Crimson Caravan was aiding the Van Graffs in hijacking a lot of Caravans, including the one that Cass owned that drove her into the alcoholic depression you first find her in. If you talk to her a lot (before all the fighting takes place) you go and revisit several hijacked caravan sights, then you can go and find evidence that implicates both parties. Cass wants to go in guns blazing and kill everyone, or you can just hand it over to the NCR, who don't really do anything with it but they say the will.

The two pieces of evidence are in the safe in the first floor of the Van Graffs place, and somewhere in Alice's office at the Caravan

Also, the Brotherhood of Steel are involved in these parties as well, so if you want to wait to join them (for Power Armor training) I'd reload a save before all the Van Graff business.
    Depending on how you deal with the Brotherhood, they may ask you to wipe out the Van Graffs. Luckily, if you do Cass' quest, she'll want to wipe them out too. So you can complete two quests at one time.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So, how do you set faction level via the console on the PC?
    I've done everything nice I can for the NCR. But I may have (legitimately) accidentally turned on Archimedes. And now they fucking hate me, shoot me on site which means I have to kill them, which makes them hate me MORE. Even though I wanted to side with them for this play through.
    Very, very annoying for one misclick.

Mvrck on
  • Options
    SimpsonsParadoxSimpsonsParadox Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Jintor wrote: »
    SimpsonsParadox:
    Skirt around the back ridge of where Melinda or whatever is located, there's a very small path to get around to where she is perched up on the ridge over the quarry. You are likely to run into at least one Deathclaw group but either run like crap or sneak kill the shit out of them. Bring Boome for added firepower, you definitely want to pick off Deathclaws while they're miles away. DO NOT GO THROUGH THE QUARRY. That way lies madness.

The guide is lying. There is a peaceful option to get the Khans out of the picture entirely without having to murder any of 'em.

I am unsure if my advice will help because I was around 5 levels above where you were at this point.

So, wait, do you mean the ledge on the Quarry itself? As in, you can branch right and go up or left and stick on the level, and I should branch right? Or is there some way to flank all the way around the quarry? As I said I tried that, but after several invisible walls in a row blocking me from climbing what should be obviously climbable hills I just turned around and tried to bash my way through the quarry again. If there is a way to flank around, where does the path start at? I don't mind rad scorps too much, it's just still rather annoying.

SimpsonsParadox on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I have no idea, man. I just skirted around the back and eventually found a way up. Invisible fucking walls. I came from the north side, if that helps any.

Jintor on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    SO MANY INVISIBLE WALLS

Yes, This small ridge that I easily climbed in a single jump should surely be a insurmountable passage to Primm.

But the hand of god says I can not climb this little dune, no, I have to go 3 miles around to approach it from a "proper" direction.

I hope a mod removes most of these unnecesary invisible walls. Some are needed, sure, but not all.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    All these boone stories are making me laugh so hard.

But yes, I too have experienced the "hey look enem-*BANGBANGBANG*-goddamit Boone at least let me get off a shot for once!"

Astale on
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Jintor wrote: »
    SimpsonsParadox:

So, wait, do you mean the ledge on the Quarry itself? As in, you can branch right and go up or left and stick on the level, and I should branch right? Or is there some way to flank all the way around the quarry? As I said I tried that, but after several invisible walls in a row blocking me from climbing what should be obviously climbable hills I just turned around and tried to bash my way through the quarry again. If there is a way to flank around, where does the path start at? I don't mind rad scorps too much, it's just still rather annoying.
    fast travel to the goodsprings cemetary, if you than face your end waypoint you should see a big hill and to the left of that hill is a little valley, keep to the left and head into that valley to avoid some giant rad scorps, but you will run across some cazadores which aren't that hard to kill, than keep heading east, you'll see some fiend skeletons on little post things up on the mountainous bit, theres a small winding path that goes up that way. when you reach the top of the path you'll reveal a great khan small encampent, from there go to your end waypoint. I didn't run across a single deathclaw this way

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    PeffPeff Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Wow...I totally underestimated how much weight Pack Rat would help with. This feels like cheating.

Peff on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Peff wrote: »
    Wow...I totally underestimated how much weight Pack Rat would help with. This feels like cheating.

Are you on Hardcore? I didn't imagine it doing as much good on Normal where ammo is weightless.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Astale wrote: »

But yes, I too have experienced the "hey look enem-*BANGBANGBANG*-goddamit Boone at least let me get off a shot for once!"

I dunno how people are doing it, all my boone stories end with "and then boone died horribly to a group of enemies i could have taken with ease, in the brief 5 seconds i took my eyes off him and forgot to babysit him"

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    PeffPeff Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    ShimSham wrote: »
    Peff wrote: »

Are you on Hardcore? I didn't imagine it doing as much good on Normal where ammo is weightless.

Normal. I just had a lot of crafting things on me, the weight I was carrying dropped by almost half.

Peff on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010

I dunno how people are doing it, all my boone stories end with "and then boone died horribly to a group of enemies i could have taken with ease, in the brief 5 seconds i took my eyes off him and forgot to babysit him"
    Have you put some armor on him?

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Boone is a hardy mother fucker in my game.

ED-E though is about as fragile as it gets.

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    ShimSham wrote: »

Have you put some armor on him?

Yeah, he's wearing better armor than me atm (metal something or other)
    On hard he just seems to go down to a few shots, shots that would barely hurt me with my low endurance + kamikaze trait which makes me take more damage
    edit: it's pretty much hit the point where i'm really tempted to just say screw companions as i want to play the game, not spend all my time reloading trying to keep them alive, but i need their extra carry weight so much

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    GarethMagisGarethMagis Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    has anyone seen a glitch were i cant' hear anybody talking. I have voice turned all the way up and music down somewhat and still absolutly nothing. I can play with subtitles on but thats not really my ideal situation.

GarethMagis on
  • Options
    Frosty the Snow PlowFrosty the Snow Plow Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Arcade Gannon companion quest spoilers:
    Please please please tell me he shows up a week later or something for more adventures! It seems like either option means he's gone for the rest of the game until the Hoover Dam (I assume) finale.

He's my favorite companion. :( Kinda sucks doing his quests mean no more adventuring with him.

Frosty the Snow Plow on
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I am CONSTANTLY losing my companions. They just disappear... I have to hunt them down,... then I find they aren't moving, so I have to tell them to go home, then quickly grab them again and make them join up.

Tedious, and irritating.

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    dj.subversivedj.subversive Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    okay, so I'm doing ED-E My Love.
    I've unlocked the first two logs, and then I got a message to bring ED-E out to the BoS at the rocket hq (I'm forgetting names at the moment). I show up, manage to hack into computers on the first two floors right away and add my face to the recognition banks, so it's just a quiet looting and reading about corporate espionage, with an occasional Gutsy interrupting me to tell me I belong there and to keep taking everything that isn't nailed down.

Then I get to the third floor. I see the terminal and the Gutsy at about the same time, and dash for the terminal. Very Hard. Shit. I can't make that. The bot comes up, and I figure I'm about to have to start fighting. Then I get the option to respond with:

(Luck 7) Ice Cream

I just had to tell someone that, and I'm still kind of grinning about it. Now, if only I could get a sniper rifle and start competing with Boone (I told Danny Trejo to go home to his shack, alone, in the middle of nowhere, because I had to take the ex-First Recon sniper with me when I met First Recon and toured Camp Golf.

The first time I talked to Kris Kristofferson, he was in bed with another Ranger when I explored the house at night. :winky:

dj.subversive on