As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Fallout New Vegas: Post in the NEW thread, you dorks.

• Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I usually just sell ammo that I am not using. I love the 9 mm, but its really not that good of a gun, so I sold all the ammo I got for it. Or I just give boone the 9mm machine gun and let him go wild for a few combats. He eats through ammo.

Smaug6 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    Can someone explain how the repair stat works in this game? Increasing the level doesn't make my guns more powerful, and it doesn't seem to make the "maintain" section larger, so I'm thinking it just makes my use of other items for repair more efficient?

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So I loved the original Fallout games (particularly Fallout 1 and Tactics), and played Fallout 3 for about ~20 hours before having effectively infinite ammo and murdering everything with no effort on Hard got boring.

Is NV worth the money? Or is it mostly more of the same with a larger/better world and some polish? Are the mechanics at all different?

If it is worth it, PC or XBox 360?

3cl1ps3 on
  • mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Confirmed Bachelor is an awesome perk.

Just be flirting up all the men with my suave charm and good looks.

Just see for your self how hot I am.

Straight outta the Village People.

mrt144 on
  • gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Can someone explain how the repair stat works in this game? Increasing the level doesn't make my guns more powerful, and it doesn't seem to make the "maintain" section larger, so I'm thinking it just makes my use of other items for repair more efficient?

I think I read that its the latter - it makes your use of other items more efficient.

But it seems to me that the real advantage of Repair is using a reloading bench to convert ammunition types.

gjaustin on
    edited October 2010
    The one thing that I have to say about F:NV is that it lacks the Fallout flavor to me that even 3 had (The backstory, exploring so many prewar places that harp on how the world was before the war, etc etc. The biggest miscue with 3 was that it took place 200 years after the bombs dropped, not 15 which would have made more sense but there wouldn't have been supermutants or the tie ins with the other fallouts). Am I alone on this?

mrt144 on
  • milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Confirmed Bachelor is an awesome perk.

Just be flirting up all the men with my suave charm and good looks.

Just see for your self how hot I am.

Dang, you shore is a Lemmy Kilmister lookin' mother fucker, ain't ya?

milk ducks on
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    mrt144 wrote: »
    The one thing that I have to say about F:NV is that it lacks the Fallout flavor to me that even 3 had (The backstory, exploring so many prewar places that harp on how the world was before the war, etc etc. The biggest miscue with 3 was that it took place 200 years after the bombs dropped, not 15 which would have made more sense but there wouldn't have been supermutants or the tie ins with the other fallouts). Am I alone on this?
    It is kinda the Majora's Mask to FO3's OoT to me: batshit insanity with that's interesting but lacks a certain grounding next to the iconic orignal. (Also, a waaay shittier saving system compared to the original, but I think that's Steam's fault.)

Darlan on
    edited October 2010
    3clipse wrote: »
    So I loved the original Fallout games (particularly Fallout 1 and Tactics), and played Fallout 3 for about ~20 hours before having effectively infinite ammo and murdering everything with no effort on Hard got boring.

Is NV worth the money? Or is it mostly more of the same with a larger/better world and some polish? Are the mechanics at all different?

If it is worth it, PC or XBox 360?

If your main complaint with 3 was that it became super easy, and you effectively became a Demigod, then yes, this one is definitely worth it. Over all, it's mostly more of the same game, but everything has been completely rebalanced, and the wasteland is goddamned dangerous now. I'm level 11 currently, and if I see a giant radscorpion, I run the other way screaming like a little girl. If I see a deathclaw, I just give up then and reload my most current save.

I'm playing on Hardcore Mode on the Hard difficulty, for what it's worth.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Ha.. man my second go around at the correctional facility was much more rewarding than my first...
    So my first run I already had wacked Cobb and make the Powder Gangers really really hate me.. so the correctional facility was pretty much a dungeon for me... capped the door guard and "snuck" inside.. which didnt really help since there was 4 guys in the enterance hall.... I VATS the one closet to the door and run back outside the gangers follow and I clean em up with a stick of dynamite and some head shots..

The rest of the compound didnt go to bad.. shooting the courtyard guys then the tower guards with minimal risk.. and both cell blocks fell rather easily.

I hadnt explored the compound at all before so I wasnt sure what was going to be in the administration building but I went in like I had dealt with the other rooms.. saw my first target and gave him some lead brain medicine.. which unfortunately didnt kill him and he ran off.... upstairs... and brought everyone else down on my head.

At that point with a hail of sub machine gun fire and green plasma blasts flying at my I made a quick retreat out of the building and started running across the courtyard flinging dynamite behind me. I swear I ran around the yard and around the cell block buildings 6 or 7 times before I finally got the pack of angry gangers whiddled down to one or two.. a few shotgun blasts to the head ended the game of cat and mouse.... looted everything and went on my way only to be killed by a ghoul out by the drive in who snuck up on me.. I called it quits and logged off.

sadly my save game disapeered so I started over...

Visited the correctional facility did some jobs for the gangers and then betrayed them to the NCR which caused an awesome assault on the correctional facility... a bunch of NCR with service rifles cutting down the inmates and when we got inside the admin building it was a beautiful fire fight which ended up having some of the NCR troops getting killed.

At the end of it I looted all the gangers and the dead NCR troops... imo definately the way to go if you are playing a good guy. Armor, guns and now a fully repaired service rifle... KACHING!

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
    edited October 2010

See, I don't get this. I think you people seriously overestimate just how quickly civilization would return after global spanning nuclear decimation. Especially when the land is now overrun with giant mutated insects and nightmarish versions of humans that have been twisted beyond all recognition.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I love how I can murder the powder gangers and keep my karma, but stealing from them? you MONSTER

EDIT: I just gained karma for shooting one of them in the head...

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
    edited October 2010

The humor is slightly off. There are some pretty funny things overall, but the backstory is not as pervasive or prevalant as it was in FO3. However, I think this is much more a product of the major plot of the game itself. New Vegas is really set in the back drop of how society is developing and what faction will control the wasteland. FO3 was more about atoning for the sins of a past era, which can be seen in the search for your father and his sins as well as the sins of a government gone mad. I mean FO3 is set in DC presumably the nexus of all of the evil unleashed on the world and in FO3 you are actively fighting a faction bent on restoring the USA to its pre-war status.

New Vegas is dealing with different story themes and though the background is very important, it is not the focus of he game as much as Fo3 was. Granted I have not finished New Vegas, but it seems to be a much more personal story based on the future of the wasteland and where your character fits into it.

In addition, there are more quests in New Vegas, but a bunch of them are relatively simple and lack the depth and humor of FO3. There are deep and funny quests in New Vegas, its just that there seem to be a good amount of filler ones as well. As if the developers had to have more quests and more locactions in New Vegas to justify people buying it.

That said its a fantastic game.

Smaug6 on
    steam_sig.png
    edited October 2010

See, I don't get this. I think you people seriously overestimate just how quickly civilization would return after global spanning nuclear decimation. Especially when the land is now overrun with giant mutated insects and nightmarish versions of humans that have been twisted beyond all recognition.

It has more to do with ice cold nuka colas and other flavor stuff that seem completely out of place 200 years after the bombs dropped.

mrt144 on
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Redid NCRCF with Boone. We had some Kestrel/Archer SplinterCell mark and execute shit going on
    Picked off the outside guards, and entered the main hall while crouched. Immediatly went into VATS. Head shotted the guy right next to me with my cowboy repeater, took out the dude across the room with another headshot. Then Boone took out the last guy with a headshot that went cinematic and the guy slow-mo backflips over a table. <3

Also game.. I know I'm disguised as an NCR soldier, do you have to tell me this every two seconds?

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    edited October 2010
    For some reason, even when I put on the different factions armor, even though it resets my reputation with them to neutral they are still hostile with me.

For example, when wearing legion armor, they still attack me on sight. I have tried dismissing my compaions and re-equipping the armor but still no dice. Anyone else having this problem?

Smaug6 on
    steam_sig.png
    edited October 2010
    Guards and veterans can see through disguises.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    edited October 2010
    Smaug6 wrote: »
    For some reason, even when I put on the different factions armor, even though it resets my reputation with them to neutral they are still hostile with me.

For example, when wearing legion armor, they still attack me on sight. I have tried dismissing my compaions and re-equipping the armor but still no dice. Anyone else having this problem?
    I'm not so sure we can pin this one on a bug. You try committing a bunch of crimes and seeing how much leverage putting on a policeman uniform gets you.

"Why are you arresting me? I'm one of you! One of youuuuu!"

Darlan on
    edited October 2010
    Darlan wrote: »

I'm not so sure we can pin this one on a bug. You try committing a bunch of crimes and seeing how much leverage putting on a policeman uniform gets you.

They were legionaire recruits, so I am not sure if they qualify as guards.

Second, its a game mechanic I am trying to use. Even if it is a little absurbed.

Smaug6 on
    steam_sig.png
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I haven't really gotten far into this (just wrapping up on all the quests in/around Novak) but I'm enjoying this quite a bit.

What I've really enjoyed so far is how (post-goodsprings spoiler)
    How the NCR and Caesar's Legion are introduced. You go to the first town, overrun by cons, and find the NCR posted right outside town with no intent to secure it, even after you clear the town. Why? "Cause we don't have enough men." You go to the NCR border checkpoint in the SW of the map to ask for men, and you have to barter with them, why? "Cause they won't give us the men he needs." Obvious proof of NCR's biggest problem: They don't have the manpower to go out and do what they need to do effectively, mainly because President Wassit-Name has the belief that things will happen right now because he says so.

...And then you go to the next town and see exactly what the Legion is both capable of and more than willing to do. Real Scary, especially when you realise they're suppose to be all be stuck on the other side of the Colorado River.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

1. Most of FO3's social commentary was almost directly ripped of FO2.

2. I don't remember much of a instance in FO3 that was actually "humorus" on a higher level. Mostly it was really dumb stuff.

3. That said it did portray 15 years after the bombs pretty well, though I have still some grips.

In terms of setting FO1 is still king.

C2B on
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It's

Ranger with the Big Iron On His Hip

A Tribe Called Quest.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

They were legionaire recruits, so I am not sure if they qualify as guards.

Second, its a game mechanic I am trying to use. Even if it is a little absurbed.

Do you have
    Boone
    as a companion? Because he hates the Legion and will attack them on sight, no matter how buddy-buddy you are (or are pretending to be) with them.

Cause I was able to use a Powder-Ganger uniform to walk pass a bunch of them with no problems, but as soon as I come to some of the Legion with him around, there was no stopping what happened next.

EDIT: Come to think of it, if it only sets your faction rating with them to "Neutral" Perhaps where you are trying to go is a place you have to be more than neutral with them to have them not shoot you?

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, this was an attempt to make Fallout Two 3D.

I dig it.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    You know, about the plot... something's been bugging me since near the beginning, and it wasn't until I made a new character and went to Primm that I remembered what it was:
    The owner of the Express Depot tells you that someone initially was to take your job, but saw your name on the list and cancelled out, saying to let you take it instead... so now I can't help but think: just who the hell is this mysterious guy?

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Camp McClarren question
    What do I need to do to find the legion spy in the tower? I waited all night, it's three AM now. He should have come by.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    edited October 2010
    You know, about the plot... something's been bugging me since near the beginning, and it wasn't until I made a new character and went to Primm that I remembered what it was:
    The owner of the Express Depot tells you that someone initially was to take your job, but saw your name on the list and cancelled out, saying to let you take it instead... so now I can't help but think: just who the hell is this mysterious guy?
    And, even bigger picture:
    The entire thing is centered around a chip that allows the holder to upgrade all of the securitrons...but why were the securitrons ever in the "downgraded" state if they're carrying all of that firepower anyways?It's not like they're avoiding lethal firepower in the first place, as the strip entrance shows.

Darlan on
    edited October 2010

Doesn't he also say
    A weird robot guy with a cowboy face hired all the couriers? Vincent?

Skull2185 on
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Camp McClarren question
    What do I need to do to find the legion spy in the tower? I waited all night, it's three AM now. He should have come by.

First, this is a heavily bugged quest.

Second, your mistake is waiting inside. You should wait outside and when you see the little blip appear, that means what you're looking for is there. Follow the instructions pretty precisely and make sure you do the next steps ASAP. It should complete and not bug out. You'll know if it has bugged out on you.

Edit: Also after eliminating all the fiends and powder gangers I am now the saint of the wastes.

Yes, the guy who CONSUMES ALL OF THE HUMANS HE KILLS is the Saint of the fucking Wastes. God the Karma system is retarded.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • GalactusGoGalactusGo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Fly Me To The Moon question:
    I haven't put anything into speech (gay cowboys are slick enough I think) but if I did does the speech option with the human dude result in him rigging the rocket to explode? Or does the rocket explode on its own...

GalactusGo on
  • Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Skull2185 wrote: »

Doesn't he also say
    A weird robot guy with a cowboy face hired all the couriers? Vincent?
    Yeah, it was Victor. But Victor was
    under the employ of Mr. House, as he states to you in person, as it was his plan to hire multiple couriers to fool raiders/bandits
    But that still doesn't explain the mysterious courier who defaulted on the delivery after seeing your name...

Also, a funny dialogue choice with Lady-Killer:
    "I was born and raised in Montana, before my Pa left me at an early age."

"[Lady-Killer] Montana!? You by chance wouldn't be 17, would you?"

"No, sir, I'm 28 years old."

"Oh thank god. Never mind, then."

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    And, even bigger picture:
    The entire thing is centered around a chip that allows the holder to upgrade all of the securitrons...but why were the securitrons ever in the "downgraded" state if they're carrying all of that firepower anyways?It's not like they're avoiding lethal firepower in the first place, as the strip entrance shows.

House explained it okay I thought
    The Securitrons weren't ready for distribution, they were essentially running beta software that didn't make use of their weapons. Mr House just wanted to get a few of them out there, the software for their other capabilities was still in R&D and once it finished was to be delivered to him.

override367 on
  • ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Im subbing at a high school where every class is taking a test so im bored. This thread is the only entertaining thing going so you guys keep posting.

Im ready to get home to finish cass's quests. I have so many unfinished quests looking at the list kills me. Then i look at the misc quest notes and get overwhelmed.

Edit. Sorry for the grammar im on my phone.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
    edited October 2010
    Hey I can ride the monorail now. This is excellent.

Aegeri on
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So I was just making my way south of Primm towards that NCR outpost when I noticed some buildings on the right side of the road on a hill. I was expecting some powder gangers or whatever, but what I got were FIVE FREAKING RADSCORPIONS scuttling towards me at lightspeed.
    Their DT was so high my weapons were barely doing any damage, so what I did was run backwards and throw dynamite after dynamite at them...when they were finally dead, I had backtracked all the way to Primm.

Still, a found a neat little note pointing at some treasure in one of the houses, so it was worth the 25 sticks of dynamite...I guess.

Maz- on
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So I just randomly encountered a group of giant ants fighting a Radscorpion. They took him down and now there's a ton of worker ants feating on his corpse and (presumably) bringing his body back to the nest for further consumption. I tiptoed away after witnessing this and they didn't even notice I was there. 8-)

I ran into this as well and figured if they were badass enough to take out a radscorpion, I was not man enough to take them out. But then again, a pack of dogs bit enough holes in my ass that I'm thinking discretion is the better part of valor.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Just finished Fly Me to the Moon.
    Do you find out where those ghouls went to, assuming you didn't sabotage their rocket? I was a nice guy and even corrected their course a bit to land them closer to their destination, wherever the hell it was. I mean, I guess it could be the moon (questname lolz)...

SteevL on
  • UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Daemonion wrote: »
    Shogun wrote: »
    Daemonion wrote: »
    I believe I just finished.

FO3 endgame schtuff:
    My friend had told me that his character died during the ending, so I was surprised to see that I was revived two weeks later. After reading the Fallout Wiki, the whole thing with having the Broken Steel DLC allows you to continue after end game feels pretty lame to me, not to mention that you'll get different responses from companions if you ask them to activate Project Purity if you have the DLC installed. Also, I don't understand how asking Fawkes (who is immune to radiation) to turn on the project instead of sacrificing myself makes him the "True Hero." Why would anyone sacrifice themselves when there is literally no reason to?

welcome to the huge dumbfest that was the ending to FO3
    I don't like this party, I think I'll be leaving now.

You can never leave!

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    re: "That Lucky Old Sun" quest (Helios One power grid thing):
    what do the different power routes do? I wanted to see what ARCHIMEDES II would do, but it seemed to do nothing when I activated it

MrDelish on
    edited October 2010
    So I've stolen everyones medical supplies, murdered 50 people in their sleep, ate 333 peoples corpses (and in one case made someone watch while I ate all his friends), put grenades in numerous innocent peoples pants and currently have the Karma rating "Saint of the Wastes".

Uh-huh.

Aegeri on