As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fallout New Vegas: Post in the NEW thread, you dorks.

• Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    There's a freaking rare NCR armor that's basically medium desert camo armor with a duster over it. Good lord it looks good and once I got it, only took it off to deal with the BoS. And those fuckers are on my genocide list. Am I the only one who does that? Do lots of quests, do some commerce with people, decide if their dicks or not...then reap the zip code one fine day with a silenced sniper rifle and no regard for collateral damage.

Well in regards to BoS...
    After doing their fucking forever long fetch quest, I found out my game was bugged and I wouldn't be able to join the faction or wear power armor.

I went straight to that bastard leader, stood right next to him, and zoomed in with a sniper rifle. He makes some kind of whimpering remark when you do that. Anyway BLAM right through his fucking eye. I then systematically killed the entire base, headshot by headshot, while wreaking my vengeance. FUCK THOSE QUESTS.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    I carry around the Ranger Sequoia now, and my policy is that whenever that "Big Iron on His Hip" song comes on the radio I switch to it.

Is it possible to raise the level cap above 30? I haven't found any mods that do it.

I know this seems like a stupidly obvious thing to say, but I'm betting we'll at least see a smaller raise in the cap with an upcoming DLC.

Aw, man, I hope we get a full expansion this time around

If you make it to 30 before the end game, then you must be just grinding.

cause I did shit loads of side quests and killing things and I didnt ding 30 until the final end game.

Personally, I haven't even hit 20 yet, in my first playthrough or this one

I'm not touching the main quest till I HAVE to. Knowing I can't keep playing after its over and knowing that the main quest sets off my ADD and the fact that well...Imma going to walk into vegas and start shooting.

I really am sad that I went into vegas at level 17, I wish I had of stayed out and done more quests and just looked at it in the distance. Its like this massive becon of hope when your out wandering around in the wastes and you turn and can see its lights...but then you get there and its like...Le Fuck?

Yes I'll take ten steps and then have to go through another loading screen...It just needed....more...Like a larger area and more businesses on there. I mean why isn't there a high end weapons and armor dealer on the strip?

iRevert on
  • Options
    Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So, I'm talking to Benny.
    In the presidential suite.

I am literally paralysed by my options here. I have exhausted all the dialogue trees and I just do not know what I want to do. It's agonising.

Part of me wants to take revenge, right now. Just drop this fucker.

Part of me wants to bide my time, by telling him I will work with him, but then kill him later - after seeing what I can get out of him.

Another part of me sort of wants to go along with his scheme.

Fuck, this is genuinely difficult.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    you wasted 3 perks on that?

You are fucking nutty
    To be fair I'm a little powergaming weiner who modded perks back to once every level about 20 minutes into the game, but yeah, considering the extrordinary plethora of quests and other experience-garnering activities in this game I sure as hell ain't touching them again.

EDIT: And to be fair again, this was after getting fucked over twice by game-killing bugs that wiped out 20 hours of progress and later on 30 hours of swag.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    DraperDraper __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    Maz- wrote: »
    Wow, Vault 34 was..intense. But the loot was well worth it.

Yeah I ran through it last night in 40 minutes, at like 4 am. I told myself I'd be done and in bed at 4 but then I heard about the loot there and charged in. I was basically running on pure adrenaline, but I can't imagine doing it any other way. It was like a fucking maze.

Draper on
    lifefinal3.jpg
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

I am literally paralysed by my options here. I have exhausted all the dialogue trees and I just do not know what I want to do. It's agonising.

Part of me wants to bide my time, by telling him I will work with him, but then kill him later - after seeing what I can get out of him.

Yeah but its Benny... some of those things aren't valid given his.... loyalty.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Derrick wrote: »
    There's a freaking rare NCR armor that's basically medium desert camo armor with a duster over it. Good lord it looks good and once I got it, only took it off to deal with the BoS. And those fuckers are on my genocide list. Am I the only one who does that? Do lots of quests, do some commerce with people, decide if their dicks or not...then reap the zip code one fine day with a silenced sniper rifle and no regard for collateral damage.

After doing their fucking forever long fetch quest, I found out my game was bugged and I wouldn't be able to join the faction or wear power armor.

I went straight to that bastard leader, stood right next to him, and zoomed in with a sniper rifle. He makes some kind of whimpering remark when you do that. Anyway BLAM right through his fucking eye. I then systematically killed the entire base, headshot by headshot, while wreaking my vengeance. FUCK THOSE QUESTS.

Meh, I got the training, joined the BoS and all that. But my remnant armor bugged out. Sigh. After taking on the largest group of deathclaws in the game too. Btw: totally wanna see a melee character do the deathclaw plateau. 8 or 9 adults, 1 legendary, bout 4 young ones.

Btw: the folks who didn't get lvl 30 before the end of the main story...what the hell were you guys doing? I'm lvl 30 and I've got like, 20 quests in my log, 1/5th of the locations unexplored, etc. No +xp perks.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Meh, I got the training, joined the BoS and all that. But my remnant armor bugged out. Sigh. After taking on the largest group of deathclaws in the game too. Btw: totally wanna see a melee character do the deathclaw plateau. 8 or 9 adults, 1 legendary, bout 4 young ones.

Btw: the folks who didn't get lvl 30 before the end of the main story...what the hell were you guys doing? I'm lvl 30 and I've got like, 20 quests in my log, 1/5th of the locations unexplored, etc. No +xp perks.

Yeah I feel you. I'm lvl 26, haven't finished the main quest, and when I took the explorer perk my map EXPLODED with shit I hadn't done.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Just finished Vault 11

Damn that's.... damn

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    mojojoeo wrote: »

Could you
    pickpocket the chip from him, than maybe blackmail him into a partnership or something? Or does he just get all pissy if you do so and try to kill you?

Sorenson on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Yeah I feel you. I'm lvl 26, haven't finished the main quest, and when I took the explorer perk my map EXPLODED with shit I hadn't done.
    Honestly, though, I get the feeling that a low of those places are spots that're basically one-shots, if they even have anything of worth at all. I'd rather they had less locations overall, but they made it so that each one was more in-depth and meaningful and the like.

EDIT: You know what we need, given New Vegas' western influence? We need us a Shotgun Sunrise-themed mod, maybe give it its own worldspace or something, have a little quest going on, normal Ghouls using Feral animations dressed up in cowboy outfits.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    Future BluesFuture Blues Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Draper wrote: »

Yeah I ran through it last night in 40 minutes, at like 4 am. I told myself I'd be done and in bed at 4 but then I heard about the loot there and charged in. I was basically running on pure adrenaline, but I can't imagine doing it any other way. It was like a fucking maze.

That's what I did, and then it froze in VATS right as I entered the armory, causing me to lose all progress past the save I made right outside the Vault. So yeah, fuck that place. I'm not going to do that again. Not for a while, anyway.

Future Blues on
    Xbox Live: No Reply
    Steam: Jacobontap
    LoL: FutureBlues
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Survival is really underrated but honestly it's pretty good.

With a decent Survival skill your food will basically eliminate any need for stimpacks, and some of the crafted food is just absurdly good.

Especially on Hardcore you can just get your food+healing out of the way at the same time. Not that food is a major concern honestly.
    My trip to Jacobstown had me inundated with bighorn meat.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Sorenson wrote: »

Could you
    pickpocket the chip from him, than maybe blackmail him into a partnership or something? Or does he just get all pissy if you do so and try to kill you?

Already tried that, but
    apparently it's not pickpocketable. (I like this word ^_^ )

Anyway, I decided to kill him there and then.

His brains splattered all over the drinks bottles and wallpaper in the presidential suite and he is currently flopped over the bar, the stump where his head used to be dripping claret all over the fine wood surface, and ruining his suit.

That felt good.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    mr-razzcocksmr-razzcocks Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Sunshine Boogie question
    Am I going to be able to pilfer parts from HELIOS One without A: Pissing off the NCR and B: Failing whatever That Lucky Old Sun is?

EDIT: Meant to spoiler that

mr-razzcocks on
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Could you

i tell him
    that you are going to think it, and then once you've done that click this spoiler but not before!
    did you make sure to hit the intercom and hear him say "what. the. fuck." best bit so far for me, perry really nailed it

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Sunshine Boogie question
    Am I going to be able to pilfer parts from HELIOS One without A: Pissing off the NCR and B: Failing whatever That Lucky Old Sun is?

They don't care, just don't be a silly goose like me and play fetch if you already have enough Repair to bypass it.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    mr-razzcocksmr-razzcocks Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Sunshine Boogie question

They don't care, just don't be a silly goose like me and play fetch if you already have enough Repair to bypass it.

Ah, fuck, it never even occurred to me to check

EDIT: Oh my god. Boone just got caught by a bear trap, set off a rigged shotgun, and got knocked unconscious by a landmine all in the space of two seconds. It was very amusing.

mr-razzcocks on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Could you

Already tried that, but
    apparently it's not pickpocketable. (I like this word ^_^ )

Anyway, I decided to kill him there and then.

His brains splattered all over the drinks bottles and wallpaper in the presidential suite and he is currently flopped over the bar, the stump where his head used to be dripping claret all over the fine wood surface, and ruining his suit.

That felt good.
    Balls.
    That means it's probably a death item so you can't beat him silly with a KO-inducing weapon and then just take it off him. I wanted to take away his one ace in the hole and see him fucking squirm as he ponders his choices of bowing down to me, keeping his head down for the rest of his life, or getting his brains blown clear out with a silenced .22 round to the temple.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Looks like we're wearing this thread out ahead of schedule.

Also, if the title of the next thread isn't "[INT 9] Fight the good fight with words", I will be very disappointed.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Turns out, if you want to maintain friendships, tossing dynamite around when people start fighting isn't exactly the most tactical sound idea.
    People don't like it when their friends get caught in your explosions, heh.

Rizzi on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Actually, that gets me to thinking.

Is it basically impossible to use the melee/unarmed companions if you have the Melt Down perk?

My next playthrough I'm planning to use Energy Weapons, and I had intended to use Veronica. Would make me a little sad if I have to choose between her or Melt Down.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Sorenson on
  • Options
    ShurakaiShurakai Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Felt that video wasn't epic enough.

FTFY

http://youtubedoubler.com/XvO8

Shurakai on
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I never heard BETTER DEAD...THAN RED.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    gnodabgnodab Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Also, if the title of the next thread isn't "[INT 9] Fight the good fight with words", I will be very disappointed.

Seconded.

I was satisfied with how I handled Benny,
    I threw his ass up on a cross. Asshole deserved it. I found it hilarious that the only reason he was captured was because the Legion spotted his hair.

An yeah, with regards to FO1/2, the interface may be a little archaic for some people but it still holds up if you mod it. The restoration mod, I think, adds higher resolutions, mousewheel support and the ability to speed the game up with a hotkey. You can make the game run at 2x regular speed, even up to 10x if you do a little legwork in the .ini. The turn-based combat isn't so much an issue if you make the game run three times as fast as it normally would.

gnodab on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I put a plasma grenade in Bennies pants.

That solved that in a hurry.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I slept with Benny.

Then I killed him in his sleep.

So at least he went out happy.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    With benny I
    told him I would think about it, killed his pathetic little hit squad in 2 seconds then went over to the fort. Told him I was going to shoot him in the head and to close his eyes, he said he wanted to see it coming so I went around behind him and crouched silently for a bit just to spite the cunt.

L|ama on
  • Options
    blikbokblikbok Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Shogun wrote: »
    Sorenson I just want to marry you. I'm dling the GECK now. Someone start tossing out names for it.

A unique lever-action shotgun?
    The Terminator or some reference to it: Governator, Leverminator, Give It To Me, Take it, Say Please... Grab any piece of dialog from the T2 bar scene and run with it.

You can't make it 10 Ga, so maybe make it a 12 Ga.

blikbok on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    blikbok wrote: »
    Shogun wrote: »
    Sorenson I just want to marry you. I'm dling the GECK now. Someone start tossing out names for it.

A unique lever-action shotgun?
    The Terminator or some reference to it: Governator, Leverminator, Give It To Me, Take it, Say Please... Grab any piece of dialog from the T2 bar scene and run with it.

You can't make it 10 Ga, so maybe make it a 12 Ga.
    GET DOWN.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    mrt144 wrote: »
    The thing that I think Fallout 3 does way better than New Vegas is explore prewar society and the causes and roots of the destruction. In some way I feel that captures the Spirit of Fallout more than the set pieces present in New Vegas like NCR and BoS.

Yes, FO3 does a great job of capturing pre-war America. So does FO1, FO2, and FONV.

But honestly, I don't care all that much about that world. That world isn't where Fallout is based, it just influences the setting. What I care about is the survivors of that world and their attempts to carve lives out of an extremely inhospitable environment.

Also, FO:NV's overall narrative is how two actual countries have decided to fight each other over ideological differences and resources. In the midst of that, you get drawn into all of it and end up having the last say in how that all plays out.

Better than tracking down my dad for no good reason. Oh, now after not really caring about that I found him and he says he wants to give the Wasteland clean water? Cool, go do that, I'm going to go carve out a nice little fiefdom for myself and then we can get right on that.

Alazull on
    User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Where is Veronica located? What is it near on the map?

Ronnie is standing on top of the highway, next to the shitty little scavver vendor at the 188 trading post (it's between Novac and Vegas). She kinda' stands out, she's wearing
    robes.

And she fucking rocks shit. Give her a ballistic power fist and just have faith as AwesomeGirl watches your back and ties up your loose ends.

I'm so, so glad the patch came out for PS3 today - last night I finished her personal quest and she would always bug out as soon as it ended, and wouldn't move. Tonight I loaded the patch, reloaded the save before completing the quest and bing! I get the quest and my Ronnie.

Thank you, Patch People.

Edit: I suppose I should note I'm playing as a sneaky sniper. She'll go off and hunt mobs on her own if they get alerted, but for the most part she's a great compliment to my build. She stays put with me until I take my opening sneak attack crit, and if other enemies in the area don't notice, she won't move forward. If they do start rushing, she'll go out and keep them occupied while I unload on them from afar.

She can wear
    power armor
    so keeping her alive isn't much of an issue, usually.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Draper wrote: »

That's what I did, and then it froze in VATS right as I entered the armory, causing me to lose all progress past the save I made right outside the Vault. So yeah, fuck that place. I'm not going to do that again. Not for a while, anyway.

Is that the place with the
    pulse gun?

When I picked it up I was like "mm, quest gun. Energy weapon. Boo-urns... 2 damage, what the fuck?" And then later I got set upon by some dudes in power armor. "Well, worth a try," I figured.

It will never leave my side.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK! I sleep all night, I work all day!

Kadoken on
  • Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I finally made it to New Vegas. What a town!
    Too bad I am still recovering from a virus and had to go to sleep. I got to talk to Mr. House and that was it.

Also, I really, really want to know how he
    lived for so long and what he's been doing since the war!
    Also, is it the voice of Odo from DS9?

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I picked up the guide yesterday when I bought Fable 3 for my wife.

Just flipping through it, the number of sidequests that I've simply missed is staggering.

There are literally dozens that I apparently walked right by.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    I picked up the guide yesterday when I bought Fable 3 for my wife.

Just flipping through it, the number of sidequests that I've simply missed is staggering.

There are literally dozens that I apparently walked right by.

Also there are all sorts of hidden gems. Facilities in the DC area that I never went to. The White House is in FO3 is the best. Also, there are something like 20 downtown zones. I am sure at least a quarter of them I never visited.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Project MayhemProject Mayhem Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Guys...

<.<
    >.>

There's a new thread...
    :P

Project Mayhem on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Machismo wrote: »
    I finally made it to New Vegas. What a town!
    Too bad I am still recovering from a virus and had to go to sleep. I got to talk to Mr. House and that was it.

Also, I really, really want to know how he
    lived for so long and what he's been doing since the war!
    Also, is it the voice of Odo from DS9?

Mr. House's backstory is pretty interesting, especially when you learn why Vegas wasn't hit as hard by the nukes.

Also, as the previous poster noted: NEW THREAD HERE

SteevL on