As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

ROCK BAND: Old thread.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Nocren wrote: »
    So question about band customization:
    Is there any particular order in which stand-ins are assinged instruments?
    My guitarist always ends up on drums if I'm not player her.
    Or another character I made for a particular instrument will fill in on another one.

There is some logic to it, but I don't know if it's been totally figured out yet. They will switch around instruments as needed, though.

The order that seems to work is

Guitar
    Bass
    Vocals
    Drums

Now, since my drummer is female she swaps with the vocals, and many people have seen all-male bands swap these two for female vocal songs. I haven't tested anything about putting the drummer on another instrument and seeing the switch, however.

You can pick any character to be controller 'default' and so long as you pick the correct instrument, the band lineup will be relatively unchanged. The bassist needs to be the keyboardist to maintain the correct lineup if you're playing the keys yourself. If you pick a default avatar and a different instrument to play, then the lineup shifts, I believe in a clock-wise direction.

Thank you Santa. Yeah it was working fine at first but when I start voxtaring and keys/bass+vocals and getting a random dude thrown in there for having a second controller plugged in without a profile shit started getting messed up.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Obviously, the reaction to the initial announcement of no static instrument assignments was overblown, but the implementation is still weak. Even if the least you did when making a band was just settling on who would do what with no background and no other 'assignment', it's still awkward to just see them swap around and do what they aren't 'supposed' to be doing.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, given that my vocalist is a former drummer (which reminds me, still need to finish that story) I have no problem with him swapping with my current drummer (a chick) for vocal duties.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I've yet to have my male vocalist sing vocals, unless I'm actually playing the male drummer on drums.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    So... I've noticed that we actually lost BOTH Soundgarden disc songs (I only have the one Soundgarden DLC track I purchased. No Spoonman or Black Hole Sun). So along with Rock and Roll Star, did we lose any other previous tracks?

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    LAAAAAAATE!

The only other song from exports that has been removed is Dani California from RB1.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    JC of DIJC of DI I think we're fucked up. I know I am.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    LAAAAAAATE!

The only other song from exports that has been removed is Dani California from RB1.

...and Give it Away from RB2, right?

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    JC of DI wrote: »
    LAAAAAAATE!

Yup - to me that's the worst one because I paid to have the entire album - now that album is missing one track. Even if I didn't play it often that incomplete album really irks me.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    JC of DI wrote: »
    LAAAAAAATE!

Yes, but since he knew about Spoonman being gone, I presumed he knew about the other RB2 disc songs being gone.

But just to repeat, from the OP:
    ROCK BAND 2 EXPORT
    It is a 1.93 GB Rock Band 2 export for the $9.99 export fee, we get all the songs minus these:

AC/DC – Let There Be Rock
    Journey – Any Way You Want It
    Metallica – Battery
    Red Hot Chili Peppers – Give It Away
    Soundgarden – Spoonman

Also missing these nine Harmonix band songs but we'll get those back at a later date (possibly with Pro charts):
    Abnormality – Visions
    Anarchy Club – Get Clean
    Bang Camaro – Night Lies
    Breaking Wheel – Shoulder to the Plow
    Libyans – Welcome to the Neighborhood
    The Main Drag – A Jagged Gorgeous Winter
    Speck – Conventional Lover
    The Sterns – Supreme Girl
    That Handsome Devil – Rob the Prez-O-Dent

There is also one week's DLC that is stated to be broken for some reason (week 93, I think). But there are also a couple of DLC tracks that don't work on purpose. But I forget what they are. I think they're just the ones that were in the EU version of RB2.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'll add Dani California and Black Hole Sun at some point.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Also, Afterlife from Avenged Sevenfold does not work if you got it in the Track Pack.

Masume on
    3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I wish it did. I like that song.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    sir_pinch-a-loafsir_pinch-a-loaf #YODORegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, I'm wondering when the Dinosaur Jr. DLC is going to be fixed.

sir_pinch-a-loaf on
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So I was playing Rock Band 3 over the weekend at my friends house. Had a blast butchering Rock Lobster on Vocals, and then my friends made me sing some Blondie with hilarious results. Eventually switched to bass. I tried Jerry Was a Race Car Driver on Expert, looking at the rating thinking I could do it.

I was wrong. I was so wrong.

Where the fuck are the devil heads?

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    This weekend I too discovered the oddity of the devil heads. My step-father-in-law was watching me play drums and wanted me to try Roundabout, which I easily 5 star'd (on hard). I had kinda been avoiding it due to fear, but it was actually quite easy, except for one or two weird spots. I'd rate it maybe 4 dots.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    There's a guitar break in "Roundabout" that is pretty freaking killer on drums. I've yet to get through it on Expert.

Arikado on
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    does RB3 not have the "disable footpedal" modifier like LRB does?

MrDelish on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Let me know if I'm missing anything.
    ROCK BAND 2 EXPORT
    It is a 1.93 GB Rock Band 2 export for the $9.99 export fee, we get all the songs minus these:

AC/DC – Let There Be Rock
    Red Hot Chili Peppers - Give It Away
    Journey – Any Way You Want It
    Metallica – Battery
    Red Hot Chili Peppers – Give It Away
    Soundgarden – Spoonman

Also missing these nine Harmonix band songs but we'll get those back at a later date (possibly with Pro charts):
    Abnormality – Visions
    Anarchy Club – Get Clean
    Bang Camaro – Night Lies
    Breaking Wheel – Shoulder to the Plow
    Libyans – Welcome to the Neighborhood
    The Main Drag – A Jagged Gorgeous Winter
    Speck – Conventional Lover
    The Sterns – Supreme Girl
    That Handsome Devil – Rob the Prez-O-Dent

Additionally, the following songs are missing/unplayable in Rock Band 3 currently:

Rock Band 1
    Red Hot Chili Peppers - Dani California (Unable to license export)
    Soundgarden - Black Hole Sun (Unable to license export)

Rock Band DLC
    Oasis - Rock and Roll Star (Unable to license EU RB2 export & NA DLC)
    Die Toten Hosen - Hier Kommt Alex (Unable to license EU RB2 export & NA DLC)
    Anvil - 666 (Audio issue in Xbox 360 version and unpatched PS3 - HMX working on fix)
    Anvil - Metal on Metal (Audio issue in Xbox 360 version and unpatched PS3 - HMX working on fix)
    Anvil - This is Thirteen (Audio issue in Xbox 360 version and unpatched PS3 - HMX working on fix)
    Dinosaur Jr. - Pick Me Up (Audio issue in Xbox 360 version and unpatched PS3 - HMX working on fix)
    Dinosaur Jr. - The Wagon (Audio issue in Xbox 360 version and unpatched PS3 - HMX working on fix)
    The Guess Who - Hand Me Down World (Audio issue in Xbox 360 version and unpatched PS3 - HMX working on fix)
    The Guess Who - No Time (Audio issue in Xbox 360 version and unpatched PS3 - HMX working on fix)
    Tenacious D - Rock Your Socks (Audio issue in Xbox 360 version and unpatched PS3 - HMX working on fix)
    Avenged Sevenfold - Afterlife (Track pack issue listing the song year as 1907 - HMX working on fix)

Arikado on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    MrDelish wrote: »
    does RB3 not have the "disable footpedal" modifier like LRB does?

No. It only has No Fail mode.
    Arikado wrote: »
    Let me know if I'm missing anything.

Give It Away is listed twice.

And not that it matters, but I don't think they've said that week's DLC is an audio issue, only that the Audio Team states it as broken. I think 'Audio Team' just covers the whole songs department.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Arikado wrote: »
    There's a guitar break in "Roundabout" that is pretty freaking killer on drums. I've yet to get through it on Expert.

Better go practice your paradiddles in the Expert drum trainer!

I managed to Gold Star it on Pro the other day, as I can finally hit most of snare fills with variant speeds during the extended bridge thing. Had my brothers over for thanksgiving and they tried singing it, which was hilarious.

metaghost on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    So, trying to get HO/PO-cidal Maniac on guitar/bass
    Any good non-devil songs for this or non-Cookie Monster Metal?

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I miss Hier Kommt Alex.

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Hold on a second. Afterlife is unplayable/missing in Rock Band 3, or is just reading the wrong year in the song info?

Because I'm positive that me and my friend have played the song at least twice in Rock Band 3.

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Only if it was from the track pack cd.

I don't know first hand but the stuff I've read/seen show it in the selectable track list but upon selecting it you are told that playing said track requires an update to Rock Band 3.

Arikado on
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yep, that's right.
    It also makes "the 1900's" show up as a choice when sorting by decade

SaraLuna on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Don't go for it specifically. It'll come. I'm about half way there just doing it 'naturally'.

And the only thing that specifically comes to mind that isn't Devil is Hysteria. Though it's five dots, so for some, that might not make a difference.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

Don't go for it specifically. It'll come. I'm about half way there just doing it 'naturally'.

And the only thing that specifically comes to mind that isn't Devil is Hysteria. Though it's five dots, so for some, that might not make a difference.

Everybody Wants to Rule the World, maybe? There are a lot of them, and they're not difficult once you get the rhythm of it down (which shouldn't take long), but I don't know how the overall number stack up vs other songs.

Ketar on
  • Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Wow, pro expert drums really can add a challenge to a lot of fills and such. Some songs like don't stop believing are impossible to do right now with my set up. I have Y,G,B cymbals set up like in my real kit. I've followed a long on RB with my real kit before, but on the game I look to the right for the green cymbal.

Anybody else set it up like a real kit with the crash next to hi-hat?

Tommatt on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2010
    Don't try to mimic your real kit, especially because not everyone has their crash in the same place on real kits anyway.

Harmonix charts for hand movement, so if you don't match their color positioning, the charting breaks down.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Huh, when I play "Light My Fire" on drums, the drum track is completely muted. I only hear anything at all when I'm playing fills. Weird... Guess I'll try redownloading the pack.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Ketar wrote: »

Everybody Wants to Rule the World, maybe? There are a lot of them, and they're not difficult once you get the rhythm of it down (which shouldn't take long), but I don't know how the overall number stack up vs other songs.

Yeah, I just played that one again. The point, though, is that 56,000+ HOPOs will take a lot of time. If you're any good at them to begin with, it'll happen eventually. And every song adds up. It'd be a drag to keep doing a setlist of things like Alabama Getaway, Green Grass and High Tides, Ramblin' Man, etc., just to get a bunch of songs with lots of HOPOs to churn out an achievement that'll happen eventually anyway.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, I know. I'm sitting at 5K or so for guitar. The pain is going through it again for Bass...

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Uh...what? HOPO-cidal Maniac is listed as an Epic Guitar Goal. I don't know if it counts bass HOPOs, but there isn't a separate one for it.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    it doesn't. there's a couple bass hopo goals, but they don't count for the achievement

SaraLuna on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    You still don't have to do it 53,000+ times on both instruments.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    Raider MonkeyRaider Monkey Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The bass one is also significantly shorter than the even the regular guitar ones, iirc. And Rush songs are very good for the bass HOPO goals. :D

Raider Monkey on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    As if I needed more reasons to listen to Rush. :)

And I wasn't going for achievements, I was going for goal completion. Gotta get those fans and clothes.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    HOPO-cidal Maniac is both a goal and an achievement.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Harmonix may be on the market but it doesn't look like EA's going to be in line to buy it up as the company's CEO John Riccitiello likens acquiring the Rock Band studio to 'catching a falling knife'.

Viacom announced earlier this month that it is putting Harmonix – a developer that's been at the forefront of the music genre – up for sale.

EA, which alongside the Viacom-owned MTV Games publishes the Rock Band games, has seemingly ruled itself out of buying Harmonix.

"We're still out of favor," EA's CEO John Riccitiello told Bloomberg. "Moves that look like I'm doubling down on yesterday would make it harder still to convince investors that tomorrow is the Promised Land."

"I'm sure some smart investor will buy the business feeling that they can catch a falling knife," he continued, "but more people have been cut trying to catch falling knives than have benefitted from getting the timing exactly right."

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/113/1137408p1.html

So much for that idea.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    He really didn't need to elaborate on his metaphor.

metaghost on