As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Is there ever any circumstance under which holding a parking space is ok?

124»

• Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I used to live in the North End of Boston. And foolishly owned a car. There were days when I would do circuits of the neighborhood for HOURS before finding a space. After a year I finally bought a spot in a garage in Charlestown and made the 20 minute walk any time I needed my car. Suffice to say, there is a burning hatred in my heart for any person who is somehow trying to block me from parking in an empty space. I think I may have parking PTSD.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Some people are asking why I care having to park a couple blocks away. It's because the only parking space outside of the complex parking is a shopping center. Some people feel uncomfortable of parking their car at a closed shopping center overnight. I'd like to think I live in a safe place, but still that just invites a little vandalism. So when I have to I park my car in view of the front of the late night gas station that's right there to dissuade any possible thieves.

Oh and tell me if I'm a dick over this or not. First I have to explain something. I live at the complex but they only give 2 places per apartment no matter how many people live in it. I'm in a 2 bedroom place with my boyfriend in one room and we have a roommate in the next room. So we have 2 parking places and 3 cars. I then have to permanently park in a guest spot, that's what the management told me is my only option. Anyway, as I was walking home the second time that night, I noticed a car with a parking sticker parked in a guest spot. He has a sticker that will allow him to park in any resident spot he wants, which there are plenty free, and he decides to park in one of the very limited guest spots out of laziness. I hocked one right on his windshield. Seriously after everything that had happened when I saw that I was all...

So you tried to skeeve one of your neighbors out of a parking spot that he was entitled to as a resident because you didn't want to park in a shopping center that you probably aren't supposed to park in anyway. Yeah, that's a very "dick" thing to do (and that's not even mentioning you spitting on another person's vehicle).

Classy.

I'm really confused as to what you are trying to say. Who was I trying to skeeve out of what? And the shopping center was the only other available parking, unless I could somehow park on the moon. Besides I cleared that with the security company that patrols that parking lot at night, and they allow it seeing as it is the only place for residents to park other than the lot that has more residents than spaces.

You were attempting to have your boyfriend shoo away a person that had a right to park there, knowing there was no other "convenient" parking. That's skeevy and your neighbor was completely in the right to tell your man to fuck off. He paid for his spots too (or his host did, whatever.)

Having a pedestrian hold a parking spot (or failing in this case) at the expense of someone else is a dick move.

Walking a few blocks really isn't a horrible thing.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Some people are asking why I care having to park a couple blocks away. It's because the only parking space outside of the complex parking is a shopping center. Some people feel uncomfortable of parking their car at a closed shopping center overnight. I'd like to think I live in a safe place, but still that just invites a little vandalism. So when I have to I park my car in view of the front of the late night gas station that's right there to dissuade any possible thieves.

Oh and tell me if I'm a dick over this or not. First I have to explain something. I live at the complex but they only give 2 places per apartment no matter how many people live in it. I'm in a 2 bedroom place with my boyfriend in one room and we have a roommate in the next room. So we have 2 parking places and 3 cars. I then have to permanently park in a guest spot, that's what the management told me is my only option. Anyway, as I was walking home the second time that night, I noticed a car with a parking sticker parked in a guest spot. He has a sticker that will allow him to park in any resident spot he wants, which there are plenty free, and he decides to park in one of the very limited guest spots out of laziness. I hocked one right on his windshield. Seriously after everything that had happened when I saw that I was all...

So you tried to skeeve one of your neighbors out of a parking spot that he was entitled to as a resident because you didn't want to park in a shopping center that you probably aren't supposed to park in anyway. Yeah, that's a very "dick" thing to do (and that's not even mentioning you spitting on another person's vehicle).

Classy.

I'm really confused as to what you are trying to say. Who was I trying to skeeve out of what? And the shopping center was the only other available parking, unless I could somehow park on the moon. Besides I cleared that with the security company that patrols that parking lot at night, and they allow it seeing as it is the only place for residents to park other than the lot that has more residents than spaces.

You were attempting to have your boyfriend shoo away a person that had a right to park there, knowing there was no other "convenient" parking. That's skeevy and your neighbor was completely in the right to tell your man to fuck off. He paid for his spots too (or his host did, whatever.)

Having a pedestrian hold a parking spot (or failing in this case) at the expense of someone else is a dick move.

Walking a few blocks really isn't a horrible thing.

Uhh how the hell do you know somebody paid to park there? They didn't have a sticker, you don't know if it was a guest or resident. A lot of your post assumes or makes shit up, I don't think payed much attention to what I was saying.

Besides you circle for over ten minutes looking for a spot and then when one opens up somebody else that JUST got there after you slides right into it. You tell me you don't feel any kind of annoyance over something like that, I know my situation was a bit different, but still. I wasn't mad at that person, and I didn't blame them, I accepted the fact that even though I was the one that circled and circled and even though I spotted and waited for the place first, I didn't have my car at the time and lost out because of it. It was the situation and someone else right after that I became super pissed at.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Ill admit, the subject for this thread made me laugh.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    NotCaffeineNotCaffeine Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    In all seriousness, you should consider how much you are letting parking affect your mental state...

NotCaffeine on
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The only real parking pet peeve I have is when I park all the way out by myself, with an entire lot empty, somebody just has to park next to me. Like they can't get between the lines without another car there to guide them in.

Krieghund on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    Krieghund wrote: »
    The only real parking pet peeve I have is when I park all the way out by myself, with an entire lot empty, somebody just has to park next to me. Like they can't get between the lines without another car there to guide them in.

Ahahaha yeah, I always found that interesting. You park way out, you come back out and there'll always be another car parked next to you, without fail.

But park in the crowd, and by the time you come back out, nobody is parked next to you.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    TalkaTalka Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Holding parking spaces is the more efficient way for a residential neighborhood to distribute parking. Why would you have visitors look for a spot in a car when you can have someone look on foot? It's just wasting gas to use a car when you can do it on foot.

I live in San Francisco, and when people come and visit my apartment they have to circle my neighborhood for ~20 minutes to find a spot, and in the end the spot's normally five or six blocks away. I've gotten in the habit of going outside and helping them look, and if that means I have to save a spot for a few minutes then so be it. The amount of gas we save makes it environmentally and economically justifiable.

And I've never had anybody get mad about it. If somebody asks I just say I'm helping a friend look for a spot and we've been searching for awhile and would you mind terribly if I held this spot for a few minutes? People have always been nice about it. I had one or two people question me about it, and I say we're trying not to waste gas and they understood.

Talka on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Talka wrote: »
    Holding parking spaces is the more efficient way for a residential neighborhood to distribute parking.

Actually that would be the implementation of market rate parking meters. Preferably coupled with a congestion toll.

moniker on
  • Options
    TalkaTalka Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    moniker wrote: »
    Talka wrote: »
    Holding parking spaces is the more efficient way for a residential neighborhood to distribute parking.

Actually that would be the implementation of market rate parking meters. Preferably coupled with a congestion toll.

I would love that.

Talka on
  • Options
    UnderdogUnderdog Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    LadyM wrote: »
    JHunz wrote: »
    jothki wrote: »
    As far as parking-related behaviors go, one of the things that I hate is when someone enters a full parking lot, walks all the way across it, and then walks out the other side or into a building.

I have class in ten minutes, dammit! Why must you waste my time like that?
    Meanwhile, I despise cars that will creep along behind me in a parking lot. If the lot's full, go find another lot, don't poke along at 2 miles an hour behind me while I walk.

I hate that too. Though hilariously it happens to me most often when I'm just going back to the car to grab my lunch or a book I forgot or something. Always makes me laugh a little on the inside.

I haven't had this happen to me but it wouldn't bother me in the slightest. Honestly, I'd go out of my way to help them because looking for spots is annoying. I'd probably let them know where I was parked. Then, if they want the spot (beggars can be choosers when it comes to parking), they can just go there and wait. But even if they slowly followed me, I'm not sure I'd care.

This is weird for me because when I'm walking, I get very, very annoyed when people walk too close behind or in front of me and I will deliberately slow down or speed up to get the right amount of separation.

Underdog on