As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This is the old, busted STEAM thread

• Options
    gogglesgoggles Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Right. Thanks Big Isy. I also confirmed this myself by finding that steam's product activation support page has black ops keys posted.

There's a deal on direct2drive for 25% off - which isn't supposed to include black ops, but works for now.

goggles on
  • Options
    RedlanceRedlance Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Big Isy wrote: »
    goggles wrote: »
    Anyone here know regarding some steam titles if you buy them elsewhere if steam will update them, dlc them, etc? I know black ops is "steam cloud," but does that mean if I get a retail copy steam will take care of it for me?

Yeah for all intents and purposes it is as though Steam doesn't really differentiate between retail bought CD's and Steam store purchases. If it's Steam cloud on the box, it's gonna be handled by Steam.
    The first post in the thread has a list of all the game you can register on steam. https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-WUSF-3601 .

Redlance on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Trine beaten!

It really is a great game. Alas, the idea behind the final boss was better than the execution.
    It's really cool to be just barely evading one of the boss' traps. But then you get to stuff you don't actually have any change of dodging -- like a wall drawn between two collapsing platforms when you're the thief -- and then it gets really annoying.

I have no shame about switching to "easy" for that level (and only that level).

Frem on
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Shoot it with the fire arrow?

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Can't shoot arrows while jumping, and shooting instead of jumping while the platform is collapsing always seems like a bad idea at the time. This may be due to how I never unlocked the instant charged shot upgrade. Then I'm plunging into the lava, and it is magically the game's fault for being unfair and not my fault for being bad at Trine. :)

Frem on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    kleinfehn wrote: »
    Hey Penny-Arcade, i am having troubles with running Oblivion. I have a quad core anthlon II at 3.0ghz, a 7200 rpm drive and a radeon 4650 and from what I've read I should be able to play it on high easily. However whenever I play the game and I go into a new area or if I attack or kill an enemy the game will freeze for a few seconds. I have had a problem similar to this in fallout 3 but only about ever 5 minutes. I have googled this problem and I have found no solution. Any help anyone?
    The only common stuttering issue I can think of has to do with footsteps, so I don't know what's going on there. If you've got mods running, you'll want to disable all of them to see if any of them are giving you the issue. If you aren't running the unofficial patches, you definitely should be. They might fix something related to that.

You'll probably have more luck asking in the Elder Scrolls thread than this one, though.

Monger on
  • Options
    Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Monger wrote: »
    Hey Penny-Arcade, i am having troubles with running Oblivion. I have a quad core anthlon II at 3.0ghz, a 7200 rpm drive and a radeon 4650 and from what I've read I should be able to play it on high easily. However whenever I play the game and I go into a new area or if I attack or kill an enemy the game will freeze for a few seconds. I have had a problem similar to this in fallout 3 but only about ever 5 minutes. I have googled this problem and I have found no solution. Any help anyone?
    The only common stuttering issue I can think of has to do with footsteps, so I don't know what's going on there. If you've got mods running, you'll want to disable all of them to see if any of them are giving you the issue. If you aren't running the unofficial patches, you definitely should be. They might fix something related to that.

You'll probably have more luck asking in the Elder Scrolls thread than this one, though.

Also what are you using for your sound? I had the exact same "freeze for a second every time I hit an enemy" issue and it was due to my godawful motherboard's onboard sound. Sticking a cheapo PCI sound card into my PC fixed that problem in oblivion for me

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    kleinfehnkleinfehn Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Fleck0 wrote: »
    Monger wrote: »

Also what are you using for your sound? I had the exact same "freeze for a second every time I hit an enemy" issue and it was due to my godawful motherboard's onboard sound. Sticking a cheapo PCI sound card into my PC fixed that problem in oblivion for me

No mods, but it seems it seems my onboard sound on my motherboard is just bad. Well crap, hopefully this will also fix my fallout problem.

kleinfehn on
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    You can get a 5.1 PCI soundcard off of newegg for like $10.

I don't know if they're any good, but if you're like most people and only running stereo or 2.1 it won't really matter.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    JubehJubeh Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Guys I need a diablo clone right now for some reason. I have already played the hell out of torchlight and I see steam has sacred 1 and 2 for pretty cheap. I've played two on the xbox and I thought it was neat but which one would you guys say is better.

Jubeh on
  • Options
    EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Apparently Titan Quest is aces. Loads of class combos and loot a-plenty.

I wouldn't know ofc; my backlog stretches to the moon!

Euphoriac on
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    You missed a very cheap TitanQuest sale from a week or two ago :<

Alegis on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I've always considered getting that. Of course I miss my chance to get it cheap.

I'm just not that into greek mythology.

Jubeh on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    There's no pop quiz involved concerning the greek mythology if that's what you mean, just some monster bashing in gladiator outfits.

Alegis on
  • Options
    TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I would recommend Titan Quest over Sacred. It's pretty awesome.

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Titan's Quest is sweeter than ice cream on a warm summer day

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Aight dudes I'm gonna trust you guys on this one.

Edit: Okay this is pretty great.

Jubeh on
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Guys is Lead and Gold any fun?

And would there be anybody playing it outside the free weekend?

As I believe I mentioned in another thread recently, I like cowboys because I am a red-blooded patriotic Amurrican and since there's never going to be Red Dead Redemption on the PC my options for cowboy fixes there are pretty slim.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Jubeh wrote: »
    I've always considered getting that. Of course I miss my chance to get it cheap.

I'm just not that into greek mythology.

also Babylonian and Egyptian myth, a bit later in the game. Possibly another, but I've never been able to progress past the beginnings of Babylon; Diablo II clones don't really grab me the way they do others.

Tamin on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Guys is Lead and Gold any fun?

And would there be anybody playing it outside the free weekend?

When that game first came out it was a blast. I quit pretty soon though because of the lack of dedicated servers but I've heard it supports them now. I don't really know about the state of the community though.

Jubeh on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Lead and Gold is a lot of fun, I jump on every once in a while

tofu on
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So when I was blind on Friday I was checking the GTA sale but input the wrong b-day. Now when I try to look at the games it says I can not view them at this time or any M rated game.

Will Steam think I am too young forever now?

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RBachRBach Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Restart Steam/your web browser (whichever you were viewing the page in).

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Sacred is fun multiplayer. And if you really, really, really like grinding. And by grinding, I mean sticking in a zone that constantly respawns mobs that are always your level until you kill 150,000 of those motherfuckers, just to fight one dragon of like 10 or so. And then bigger and badder things happen after you've killed all the dragons, fought Satan, and killed God.

I also wonder if they ever took out the Starfuckyourcomputerforce DRM....

L Ron Howard on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So when I was blind on Friday I was checking the GTA sale but input the wrong b-day. Now when I try to look at the games it says I can not view them at this time or any M rated game.

Will Steam think I am too young forever now?

I'm pretty sure it always asks the age doesn't it?

subedii on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    clear steampowered.com cookies if it doesn't

Alegis on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Teriferin wrote: »
    I would recommend Titan Quest over Sacred. It's pretty awesome.
    For some reason I always end up getting bored with Titan Quest. The fact that you play Generic Guy or Generic Gal with nigh non-existent customization doesn't help (D2 didn't have any customization, but at least different classes looked different and unique), but I suspect it also has to do with how Greek-mythos-only-by-technicality the whole thing feels to me.
    At least Sacred has the whole batshit-insane tongue-in-cheek going for it. There's a certain glee in playing a gun-armed robot dog statue riding a steampunk scifi hovercar exploding everything on the screen with fire.

Glal on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    RBach wrote: »
    Restart Steam/your web browser (whichever you were viewing the page in).

Yeah. I usually quit steam and start it back up if I accidentally mess up one of the many captas

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I really wish it just went by the age in your account information or something, I mean honestly

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Jaunty wrote: »
    I really wish it just went by the age in your account information or something, I mean honestly

Probably a law saying they can't do that.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

It would be soooo much easier. And not just for us!

Icemopper on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Sacred is fun multiplayer. And if you really, really, really like grinding. And by grinding, I mean sticking in a zone that constantly respawns mobs that are always your level until you kill 150,000 of those motherfuckers, just to fight one dragon of like 10 or so. And then bigger and badder things happen after you've killed all the dragons, fought Satan, and killed God.

I also wonder if they ever took out the Starfuckyourcomputerforce DRM....

I too enjoy Sacred. I don't spend much time with it, but it's satisfying when I get the urge. I have the Sacred Gold edition, and it runs without any disk checks so I'd guess the Starforce package has been removed.

Drake on
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    My only issue with Sacred was that I could get all the abilities really quickly, there seemed to be no level requirements.

This was with Sacred 1, never played 2.

Neurotika on
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Xeddicus wrote: »

Probably a law saying they can't do that.

Because a person may lie about their age one time, but lying about their age repeatedly is just too much of a hassle.

I can't stand to be asked the same question three times. It just irritates me.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Why does it irritate you?

The constant age verification bugs me. I really wish there was some way to "validate" your account. I mean, I'm using my debit card to buy these games, odds are I'm at least 18.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    didnt Rockstar release the first two GTA games, the top down ones, for free?

Why are they trying to get you to pay cash money for them on steam

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Buttcleft wrote: »

They aren't

tofu on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    tofu wrote: »

They aren't

You only get them "included for free" in a bundle, they aren't available to download separately. Sucks, but saves them from losing money on bandwidth I guess.

You can still get them for free* from here, along with Wild Metal, which might be the second or third worst game ever made.

*Well, free as in some form of registerware, I guess.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Why does it irritate you?
    -snip-

I think it's a joke from Austin Powers.

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

If you look closely, you'll see that there's no way to get them seperately on Steam and the price of the pack is still slightly less than 3, San Andreas and Vice City seperately. Why they don't just let everyone download 1 and 2 on Steam is beyond me, though.

Peewi on
This discussion has been closed.