As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Oh [chat]...

• Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    nevermind understanding swedes or danes

we have trouble enough with people from Oslo

our word for "funny" is their word for "wierd" and our word for "Wet" is their word for "soft" and their word for "wet" is still wet for us but with very heavy sexual undertones that overshadow any other meaning of the word

plus we have a bunch of wierd words only we have and that no-one understands but us, and then only barely

So what you're saying is that you're backwater hicks?

Passerbye on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    japan wrote: »
    And you also apparently have fridges the size of small outbuildings.

Electrical shops over here use the phrase "American-style" to refer to fucking massive refrigerators.

Our disinterest in fresh food allows us to take advantage of bulk purchases and sales. :P

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I sometimes have language issues with people not 100 km from here

but that may be just be my dialect

When I was in Dumfries and Galloway, I was momentarily flummoxed by "howh, whaur're ye fae?"

um

It is "hello, where are you from?"

japan on
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Passerbye wrote: »

our word for "funny" is their word for "wierd" and our word for "Wet" is their word for "soft" and their word for "wet" is still wet for us but with very heavy sexual undertones that overshadow any other meaning of the word

plus we have a bunch of wierd words only we have and that no-one understands but us, and then only barely

no

our backwater hicks don't have some words that don't mean the same

they don't have the same language at all

some parts of norway actually had different languages because of their isolation, like in this century

EDIT: People from Oslo are retarded so that helps too

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    BobCesca wrote: »
    There is a TV series on LoveFilm's watch online called Mutant X.

Two minutes in and it is awful, but in a really cheesy way.

And it will stay cheesy!

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Elendil wrote: »
    mike

take her out to pick up some booze and ladies in short skirts
    wayyyy ahead of you

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Next year I will be living 1837.5 km from home

that is p far, for Norway
    where!!!!????

MikeMan on
  • Options
    PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    And you also apparently have fridges the size of small outbuildings.

Electrical shops over here use the phrase "American-style" to refer to fucking massive refrigerators.

My mom always tries to get the smallest fridge possible, she hates the waste of a larger fridge, especially since they buy fresh food every week.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Joanna and her friends hang out every Friday night. After a few weeks, one of her friends brings her (twin) brother, who was curious as to where she was going; they get along reasonably well, and she figured he'd enjoy it, so she decided he should come. A couple of weeks after that, he asks Joanna out to a movie, which she gladly accepts; his sister, who knew Joanna before he did, is pissed, and Joanna catches a little of their conversation before they drive away. Is it reasonable for Joanna to call Nina and tell her it's okay/to lighten up, or is that not a thing girls do?

Ooh, or Nina calls Joanna to apologize for her little brother being a dork, and assure Joanna that she doesn't have to go out with him?

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I don't really have much use for a fridge. I could totally use a massive freezer though.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    MikeMan wrote: »

where!!!!????

from
    Gamle_Stavanger_jpg_235141a.jpg
    here

to
    Artillerienheter_pa_Artillerisletta_pa_Setermoen-Web.JPG

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    We have an extra freezer and the upstairs is always full. Most of it though is because we use raw dog food which needs to be kept frozen.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    I don't really have much use for a fridge. I could totally use a massive freezer though.

Yeah, it annoyed the hell out of me when I was buying kitchen appliances for this place that I couldn't find a fridge/freezer where the freezer section was larger than the fridge section.

japan on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

no

some parts of norway actually had different languages because of their isolation, like in this century

See if I lived in a country like this I'd go nuts studying the languages. As it is America doesn't have much dialect variance anymore, not like France or Norway or Germany, etc. I love learning variations. As soon as I'm anywhere near the Anabaptists I'm going to hunt them down and pepper them with questions about Pennsylvania Dutch.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Yeah, it annoyed the hell out of me when I was buying kitchen appliances for this place that I couldn't find a fridge/freezer where the freezer section was larger than the fridge section.

Really you only need a large fridge if you do like massive family dinners like a traditional Thanksgiving or something. Otherwise the Freezer and Fridge should be reversed in size. The fridge is mostly just for drinks for me, and there's only so much liquid I can go through in an evening.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

where!!!!????

from
    here

to
    Well we need to get some quality Halo time in before you get shipped of then.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

no

See if I lived in a country like this I'd go nuts studying the languages. As it is America doesn't have much dialect variance anymore, not like France or Norway or Germany, etc. I love learning variations. As soon as I'm anywhere near the Anabaptists I'm going to hunt them down and pepper them with questions about Pennsylvania Dutch.

I didn't know if it was just because it was on TV or if everyone actually did talk the same way in america

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Passer I am part Pennsylvania Dutch.

The US is really odd in how it has lost a lot of its dialects. Most countries even with a standardized dialect in schools and on mass media have kept their numerous different variations.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010

where!!!!????

from
    here

to
    Well we need to get some quality Halo time in before you get shipped of then.

I'm going to quit my job so I have december and until I go to the cold dark north free so that can be arranged

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    The US thrives on easy communication but isn't into education (which would be needed to deal with so many accents and languages) so it's to be expected that we'd form an ubertongue.

If we could just get rid of Southern Drawl, Ebonics, and Desu-speak we'd be golden.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    The US thrives on easy communication but isn't into education (which would be needed to deal with so many accents and languages) so it's to be expected that we'd form an ubertongue.

education isn't really needed to deal with dialects, no

I've heard it's a lot more common to move around in the US, though

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Joanna and her friends hang out every Friday night. Joanna's friend's twin brother has twice as many brothers as Joanna's friend has sisters but Joanna's friend has half as many brothers as Joanna's friend's brother has sisters. Joanna has one less than one and a half times as many brothers as Joanna's friend's twin brother has sisters. If Joanna's sister's brother has twice as many brothers as Joanna's friend has sisters, then how many brothers does Nina have?
    This is how I parse your sentence.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    ebonics is a proper dialect though

that shit can be indecifferable at times

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    america is a melting pot full of bland, overcooked gruel

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

I meant education in the broader sense of paying attention to someone in order to learn something new.

We'd much rather just stigmatize a group that "talks funny" than figure out the nuances in communication. :P

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I didn't know if it was just because it was on TV or if everyone actually did talk the same way in america

I think it's partly because so many people who came here were leaving their country, not just migrating. I'm not sure, though. I think it's also that languages other than English aren't generally held in high regard in American culture.

I grew up with a modern variation on Pidgin (Hawaiian Creole), which consisted of about 75% English, with the remaining 25% a mix of Hawaiian, Filipino, Japanese, Chinese, and Portuguese. My friends' grandparents spoke a different variation of Pidgin which was about 50% English and the rest everything else. I met a 96 year old woman who'd been born in Ewa Plantation who spoke only Japanese and Pidgin, and her Pidgin had maybe a handful of English words and was a big mix of everything else.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Speaking of Grill chat - I had something that looked like this for lunch

lantana+corn+fritters.jpg

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    edited October 2010

I meant education in the broader sense of paying attention to someone in order to learn something new.

We'd much rather just stigmatize a group that "talks funny" than figure out the nuances in communication. :P

the situation is kind of wierd, though

I mean

dialects aren't something that really springs up out of nowhere here

they change, yes, but it's not like BAM suddenly people in the west talk funny!

we're used to people talking differently

you don't have to go far before the sound changes dramatically

like, drive for half an hour and you get a totally different dialect

or, well, pretty similar in grammar, but it sounds about as different as someone from texas and someone from new york

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Everyone in the US should talk like me.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    The war on education is a rather new thing but the loss of dialects has been happening it seems since the rise of television and mass media. The main US dialect is from the Midwest but we do have some places with rather strong dialects such as the Cajuns in Louisiana or people from the South like in Mississippi. I would say the set of New England accents still exist as well. Boston is still alive and well in many groups. Texans are still pretty easy to pick out as well. Then there is Minnesota and the great Lakes area which is very much influenced by the German immigrants to there. Chicago still has some as well.

The difference is American accents and dialects do not have as many strong differences in pronunciation and vocabulary.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010

I think it's partly because so many people who came here were leaving their country, not just migrating. I'm not sure, though. I think it's also that languages other than English aren't generally held in high regard in American culture.

I grew up with a modern variation on Pidgin (Hawaiian Creole), which consisted of about 75% English, with the remaining 25% a mix of Hawaiian, Filipino, Japanese, Chinese, and Portuguese. My friends' grandparents spoke a different variation of Pidgin which was about 50% English and the rest everything else. I met a 96 year old woman who'd been born in Ewa Plantation who spoke only Japanese and Pidgin, and her Pidgin had maybe a handful of English words and was a big mix of everything else.

heh

yeah, maybe the melting pot has resulted in bland gruel on the language front

but still it's wierd that there's so small differences beetween english and english in america

I mean, yeah, I can understand foreign-influenced languages disappearing but there's still something going on that makes everyone else in that huge fucking country talk so similarily

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hm, a friend just offered be $100 to write a paper for them.

I really could use the cash but I definitely have some moral reservations.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Joanna and her friends hang out every Friday night. Joanna's friend's twin brother has twice as many brothers as Joanna's friend has sisters but Joanna's friend has half as many brothers as Joanna's friend's brother has sisters. Joanna has one less than one and a half times as many brothers as Joanna's friend's twin brother has sisters. If Joanna's sister's brother has twice as many brothers as Joanna's friend has sisters, then how many brothers does Nina have?
    This is how I parse your sentence.

Not going to lie, I laughed pretty hard at that.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    The war on education is a rather new thing but the loss of dialects has been happening it seems since the rise of television and mass media. The main US dialect is from the Midwest but we do have some places with rather strong dialects such as the Cajuns in Louisiana or people from the South like in Mississippi. I would say the set of New England accents still exist as well. Boston is still alive and well in many groups. Texans are still pretty easy to pick out as well. Then there is Minnesota and the great Lakes area which is very much influenced by the German immigrants to there. Chicago still has some as well.

The difference is American accents and dialects do not as many strong differences in pronunciation and vocabulary.

Yeah that's what I mean. Not that there aren't accents, but they're kind of weak.

Also I just realized, they seem like they really are accents, not dialects*

*note, I do not know the official definition of these words. Sue me, I'm foreign.

like, the grammar and words and such are pretty similar, it's just the pronounciation that differs

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Inquisitor wrote: »

write it badly

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

<kylev> BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    <kylev> hahahahaha
    <kylev> some girl just came onto our floor
    <kylev> and was yelling "sexual favors for anyone who does my sociology paper"
    <kylev> i just asked her what the paper was about
    <kylev> and she said the accomplishments and growth of feminism
    <`Neo> bahahahaha

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Punch them.

Punch them hard.

Give them a lecture about why this is what is wrong with America while punching them hard.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

heh

yeah, maybe the melting pot has resulted in bland gruel on the language front

but still it's wierd that there's so small differences beetween english and english in america

I mean, yeah, I can understand foreign-influenced languages disappearing but there's still something going on that makes everyone else in that huge fucking country talk so similarily

I don't think it's quite accurate to say that we all talk similarly, though. Syntax can be similar often times, but there can also be a variety of different words used, and often times different areas have very distinct accents. For the longest time I couldn't make heads or tails of my old roommate's West Virginia accent. It's just not such a huge difference as to really be called a separate dialect most of the time.

Passerbye on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    We do have dialects, Creole is one of the easiest to pick out. It has French, English and some Spanish mixed into it.

Speaking of pidgin languages, Yiddish is a great one to study. Since there are three different main ones I know of, Russian, German and Polish.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    our dialects' differences in grammar are so strong we have two different written languages because people couldn't decide on one way to write

One has kind of a received pronounciation vibe, being derived from upper-class (and danish-influenced) "proper" speak from Oslo

and the other is a mishmash of a few dialects spoken by three people five hundred kilometres inside a fjord

having both is fucking annoying

mostly because I was bad at the latter

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
This discussion has been closed.