As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fixing a toy

InxInx Registered User regular
edited October 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Okay gents, I have a question that maybe you can answer.

I recently purchased a toy from a dude in Texas. It's the kind of toy that when you press a button, it makes a sound - if you're curious to the exact nature of this toy, it's a Kamen Rider W Joker Gaia Memory.

In any case, it's broken - I knew that when I purchased it, as I wanted it mostly cuz it looks cool, but hey the sound is kinda cool too, and he was willing to part with it for much cheaper than anyone else.

Well, I just recieved it, and it looks just fine, but the sound part isn't working. I press the button and get not silence, but rather something like a short, empty recording, like the kind of sound you get right before the sond starts on a record or CD.

I have no clue how these things work, so I figured I'd come to you guys to see if you had any ideas for fixing this thing. If not, oh well, I'm still happy with the purchase, but if so, then oh joy, oh rapture!

Inx on

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    They work the same way those "record your message" cards work usually. There's a chip that stores the sound and a speaker that plays it back, usually a piezo speaker. It could be as simple as the speaker has gone bad so you're just getting a crackling sound, or the chip memory could've gone bad. It'd require taking the figure apart to find out, though.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Taking it apart is no herculean task. To give you a better idea, its like a USB Key but a toy - so, three or four screws and it pops right open.

After opening it, how would I determine if its the speaker or the chip memory? And if it IS the speaker, how easy are those to replace? If it's the chip memory, I imagine that's a matter of basically I'd have to like...re-record the sounds or something?

Inx on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Sometimes its as easy as just looking at the speaker, if it's a piezo speaker the little wafer that makes the sound can come unglued. Otherwise you'd need to get a replacement to test. It'd be a matter of soldering 2-6 joints probably, maybe a little glue to hold the speaker to the board. If the memory chip is bad, there's not much you can do aside from buying a whole new assembly, I doubt the toy itself has a record function.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Piezo transducers are fantastically cheap and require very little soldering (hell, you could just splice the wires together with gum).

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    fuuuuck. In trying to see if maybe new batteries would do the trick, not only did I put the new batteries in wrong (so now I dont get ANY noise out of it), but I fucked up one of the screws and now its stuck halfway.

Inx on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    And another update - managed to get the batteries in right and it works!

But then one of the wires connecting the speakers broke off. How do I reconnect it? does it NEED to be soddered?

Inx on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    You could twist it together if you can expose enough of the wire, then use a little tape to insulate it. If it broke at the board or at the speaker you'd have to solder it though.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    yeah it broke at the board.

Inx on
  • Options
    AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    You can try glue if you don't want to solder it. Make sure the contact is good between the wire and the board while it dries since if it lifts at all it will be attached to the board without completing the circuit. I would make a little spring clamp out of a paper clip to hold it all together while it dries.

AtomBomb on
    I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    There is also such thing as conductive "wire glue" if you are solderphobic.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I'm not so much afraid of solder as I'm completely WITHOUT solder or wire glue.

However, a friend has a soldering iron.

Inx on