As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Starcraft 2: Lobbying like damn!

• Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I didn't pay attention. Did Loner not ban any maps? That was so baller in r64.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    see how Loner's 4 rax just got scouted by that Z? yeah that happened to me earlier in a 1v1

I'm expecting similar results

MOTHER FUCKING BANELINGS!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t9BvOSK7xs

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I frankly don't like Loner's playstyle in the slightest. It is the most boring Terran play imaginable.

Entriech on
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Always boggles my mind to see pros keep everything on one control group.

Like, marines 1 and marauders 2 would really help with fighting banelings.

e: Ok, he control clicked and pulled the marines away. I stand corrected.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Loner is such a baller.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    some good TvZ today

zenio's series was better though

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Loner was the only not zerg to win today right?

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I baneling'd the shit outta some dudes hydralisks yesterday. Love banelings. Love that video. Then my muties took forever to kill his roaches and they killed all my tech structures. Then I baneling'd more hydralisks and mutied his drones :D

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    so... 3 zergs won today. almost 4 honestly, I'm surprised loner won his first match. christ, fucking OP zerg.

tomorrow's games are going to be fucking ridiculous, btw. fruit dealer vs fauxer, incas playing, real boxers playing, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    I think that's Protosses main problem right now, there is no drop and retreat AoE unit.

It's not that Warp Prisms are bad, there's just nothing worth using them with.

2 immortal drops were common in beta

dont see them as much now

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    blizzard matchmaking is so stupid sometimes

its smart enough to know i'm better than where I'm placed in Bronze because I keep facing Platinum and 800-1200 diamond players. Yet I'm also mostly beating them, and its not promoting me after more than 50 played games since I placed. And I haven't faced anyone lower than Plat in weeks.

I'll enjoy this as long as I can. Gaining 40-44 points for a win and losing 2 points per loss is pretty sweet.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    CrovaxanCrovaxan Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It might be taking longer because it would move you 3 leagues and it doesnt want to move you up there just to knock u back down if it's not extremely sure u should be up there.

Crovaxan on
    1850973-1.png
    Crovax.436 Steam: Crovaxan
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    i've never heard of anyone being promoted more than one league at a time. does it happen?

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Yes, I know a guy who was promoted straight from Silver to Diamond.

kedinik on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    i shall keep on playing then and see what happens

I don't know that i belong in diamond, or if i do it'd be the low diamonds, 800-1000 etc, but Plat would be nice.

70% winrate just doesnt feel like how the game is supposed to be, as fun as it is.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    How did you end up in the league?

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    i was running on capped internet on the day I did my placement matches and disconnected on four of them halfway through when things got more hectic, and the one that i won ended up being a really terrible player.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    That is hilarious, I was planning on off racing for my placement matches to try out Protoss and see what happens.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Maybe you shouldnt've tanked your placement matches then..?

edit: 4 of them were 4 seconds long, come on

His Corkiness on
  • Options
    CrovaxanCrovaxan Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    i was running on capped internet on the day I did my placement matches and disconnected on four of them halfway through when things got more hectic, and the one that i won ended up being a really terrible player.

right now you have 43 matches, doesnt it place you again after 50 matches? maybe once u hit 50 it'll move you.

Crovaxan on
    1850973-1.png
    Crovax.436 Steam: Crovaxan
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Ok yes I didn't actually disconnect on all of them. Two of them I disconnected immediately and then the last two I just decided to tank since I was already going to be placing low. I prefer the idea of winning my way to where I'm supposed to be than losing my way there anyway.

I did not think it would take this long to correct, however.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    I think that's Protosses main problem right now, there is no drop and retreat AoE unit.

It's not that Warp Prisms are bad, there's just nothing worth using them with.

2 immortal drops were common in beta

dont see them as much now

I'd really love to learn how to make better use of drops as Protoss. Warp Prisms are cool, but it's special ability is pretty tough to use. Drops are all about getting in and out quickly, and it takes ages to spin up (or down) the Warp Prism -- and once you've warped those units in, they're suicided unless you happen to have enough room in the Prism. (Usually you'd want to warp your units at your base, put them in the Warp Prism, and then fly them around, rather than warping them in with the Prism itself.)

One idea that I'd like to experiment with is Warp Prisms with Void Ray support... Oooh. Okay, so here's how I play vs. Terran:

- Rush a couple void rays. Helps fight off the super early Marauder pressure, and forces the Terran to be defensive and build marines/missile turrets/vikings.
    - Expand, defend with Cannons and High Templar; continue void ray harass
    - Win via economic advantage

Adding in Warp Prisms with High Templar to that Void Ray harass would be great. Two storms is more than enough to kill SCVs, and should help deny expansions to the Terran.

Melkster on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I really don't like the idea of building cannons. I try to avoid more than a couple near the mineral lines against Zerg going mutas.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    ElementalorElementalor Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Isn't it 30 then 60 matches when you get re-evaluated?

Elementalor on
    Marvel Future Fight: dElementalor
    FFBE: 898,311,440
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/dElementalor
  • Options
    His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Isn't it 30 then 60 matches when you get re-evaluated?
    It's not set. I was promoted after only about 12 games.

His Corkiness on
  • Options
    MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    There are no fixed points where you are evaluated. I think that was just a rumor started at TL.

Movitz on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I heard 30, then I went past that and figured I'd stop waiting and just play until it happens.

I don't think anyone really knows what the system does.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I know this is weird, but you might need to lose more.

No, don't start throwing matches, but it likes to place you when your recent W/L is about 50% in the league you're entering.

You're probably dominating the people you're matched against, so it will continue placing you against stronger enemies until that evens out a bit.

kedinik on
  • Options
    MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I really don't like the idea of building cannons. I try to avoid more than a couple near the mineral lines against Zerg going mutas.

You have to be careful where you put them, but they certainly do have their place. For me, I use them as a Protoss who is expanding earlier than his Terran opponent -- 2 Cannons are way better than 3 Zealots against a Terran trying to knock down your front door.

Melkster on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    The people I'm being matched against at the moment are generally Platinum players or low Diamond players. I think the highest Diamond I've faced is 1400 and I lost to him, but I've beaten several 1200 Diamonds.

I don't really know how the point totals in Diamond translate to skill level though....

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    1400 diamond protoss means you know what a 4 gate is.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Whats a 4gate?

Seriously though, I am enjoying my Not Ranked Yet sig.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    TheStig wrote: »

So at what point in Diamond does the people who got there by executing 4gates perfectly stop, and the people with great overall macro, micro, and several rehearsed build orders begin, the people you should be really afraid of?

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    Whats a 4gate?

Seriously though, I am enjoying my Not Ranked Yet sig.

4gate is a strategy that, against Zerg especially, is much harder to repel than it is to execute, when done properly.

I don't think I've lost with a 4gate yet against Zerg, but I haven't done it very often precisely because its so good. It worries me that I might learn bad habits and I'd prefer to let games go longer into heavy macro-fests because then I can work on my weaknesses.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

So at what point in Diamond does the people who got there by executing 4gates perfectly stop, and the people with great overall macro, micro, and several rehearsed build orders begin, the people you should be really afraid of?

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

at 1714, exactly.

edit: damnit mast.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I liked Stig's execution of the joke better.

But seriously though, that would explain why some of the Diamond players I've faced I scratch my head how they got there.

For reference Stig what rank are you?

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I need to learn more openings. I'll have a good idea based on the map but there's very few I can actually execute properly.

and by learn I mean work on because the concept is there, I don't want to just go off what I see others doing.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    My opening for every game I do is always 13 gate, 15 gas, 16 pylon, 17 core, then from then on I don't really use supply to keep it going, get 2nd gas after core and depending what I scout I either throw down a robo then a 2nd gate, or stack 450 minerals and throw down 3 more gateways at halfway on my warp gate tech.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I was so proud when I have like 4 or 5 build orders memorized as Terran, too bad my macro sucked so bad that by the time I had two bases I constantly forgot SCVs, got supply locked and ignored upgrades.

Easy stuff to fix though.

Fizban140 on