As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MMA XI: Old Thread is Old; Post in the New MMA XII Thread

• Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Dangerbird wrote: »
    Oh yeah. Maybe its for a tv commercial?

Gotta be. Also gotta be in Japan, only they are that strange.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    Wait wait! I got so caught up in where Lesnar's ear was I didn't have time to say Court McGee's comeback was fucking great.
    Yeah, it was. Good for Court!

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Tag Team MMA is the stupidest thing I've ever seen. :?

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    BarbatusBarbatus Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Sign me up for the tournament, please. Maybe this time I'll both make good picks and place high, instead of just getting lucky :p

Barbatus on
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I made my picks for 122. I might as well have rolled some dice.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Venkman90 wrote: »
    Peen wrote: »
    I was looking over the card for 122 and I'm really tempted to say that I don't give two shits about any of the fights on this card besides the main event but then I remembered that every time I say there end up being a bunch of awesome fights and I feel silly. So I'm not saying anything about anything, except that I hope Marquardt does something awesome.

To be fair, it is a weird ass card.

Only tip I can give is to watch out for Scanlon on the undercard, his crazy head kick KO got him his UFC contract, solid mix of finishes too.

It's not meant to be a real UFC-quality card, it's Zuffa trolling Bob Arum. November 13 is Pacquiao-Margarito. UFC always throws out some substandard card on Spike against the big-name boxers (read: Pac and Mayweather).

Also, Sengoku 15 is happening on 10/30, but it lost a ton of momentum after the Sandro-Hioki fight was bumped from this card to a New Year's Eve card.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    adytum wrote: »

i want pat barry so we can have our own frye/takayama part 2

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Mir vs. Nelson would be a good solution to that particular problem.

Edit: I love Pat Barry, but a whopper meal would last longer against Nelson.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Man that post and the post after 121 shows Carwin is just a classy dude, sad he's got back issues, hopefully he can get that sorted out and get back to punching dudes in the face.

I wonder how long until people accuse this of being a steroid break...

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    No, because the obvious solution to back problems is in fact more steroids.

adytum on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    BubbaT wrote: »
    I was looking over the card for 122 and I'm really tempted to say that I don't give two shits about any of the fights on this card besides the main event but then I remembered that every time I say there end up being a bunch of awesome fights and I feel silly. So I'm not saying anything about anything, except that I hope Marquardt does something awesome.

Only tip I can give is to watch out for Scanlon on the undercard, his crazy head kick KO got him his UFC contract, solid mix of finishes too.

It's not meant to be a real UFC-quality card, it's Zuffa trolling Bob Arum. November 13 is Pacquiao-Margarito. UFC always throws out some substandard card on Spike against the big-name boxers (read: Pac and Mayweather).

You think? I figured it was another advercard to pimp 123 which is happening the following week, like they did with 121 and 122.

Peen on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    The Eurocards are usually full of unknowns and c-listers. I don't mind, because they show of local talent and the UFC working with the local gyms and various MMA organisations is bound to raise levels of professionalism.

And there are fights on the card that could bring some excellent violence. Mark Scanlon vs. Pascal Krauss has fight of the night potential for sure.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The Eurocards are usually full of unknowns and c-listers. I don't mind, because they show of local talent and the UFC working with the local gyms and various MMA organisations is bound to raise levels of professionalism.

And there are fights on the card that could bring some excellent violence. Mark Scanlon vs. Pascal Krauss has fight of the night potential for sure.

On top of that, cards with lots of unknowns can be more exciting in my experience. Going in with low expectations makes everything better looking. :P

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    BubbaT wrote: »

You think? I figured it was another advercard to pimp 123 which is happening the following week, like they did with 121 and 122.

They tried to counter-program Pacquiao-Cotto with UFC 105, headlined by - yawn - Couture-Vera. They put the TUF Hughes-Serra finale against Mayweather-Hatton, and UFC 103 Franklin-Belfort against Mayweather-Marquez.

I guess they figure with boxing you've got a bunch of boxing fans all gathered together at someone's house, it's a good chance to get them to check out another fightsport after the boxing match is over. That's what I tried to do after Pacquiao-Cotto, too bad Couture-Vera was so terrible.

It was a perfect opportunity too, what with most of them being Pac fans and Vera being Filipino, a great chance to draw them in on ethnic lines like the UFC is trying to do with Cain and Mexicans. But instead it ended up with 15 minutes of "Is he (Couture) just going to hold him (Vera) against the cage the whole time?" and "They're not even doing anything, they're just hugging."

BubbaT on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Well I meant that the back problems are a lie to cover up roid testing issues. I thought carwin was accused of that?

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Preacher wrote: »

Well I meant that the back problems are a lie to cover up roid testing issues. I thought carwin was accused of that?

He is, though the "accusation" is that he was juicing some years ago, not that he is now. Basically, he was involved with other people that were involved with steroids. There's no proof that he himself did anything.

adytum on
  • Options
    Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Wait, the obvious solution is the best one:

Nelson Vs. Brock

Seriously, that fight needs to happen ASAP. That may be the greatest thing ever:

*Camera Pans to Nelson*
    Goldberg: NELSON!
    *Camera pans to Brock*
    Goldberg: LESNAR!

Here we go!

Metal Jared on
    BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    PAFC asks,

undernaika.png

Damn Skippy I wanna do it!

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    the big brown machine would like a word with you
    cainv.jpg

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    B:L wrote: »
    PAFC asks,

undernaika.png

I must be missing the joke again.

*sad face*

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    PAFC asks,

undernaika.png

I must be missing the joke again.

*sad face*

Seriously. The big guy is the Undertaker. I don't know the significance of the doodles on his face though, nor the quote.

Oh, and by the way, fuck you MMA thread. I just had to post here before I left work yesterday, and just [/i]had[/i] to write more than a single sentence, causing me to miss my bus. The things I do for MMA...

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm in for PAFC3!

A Half Eaten Oreo on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Oh, yeah. I know it's the Undertaker (avid wrestling fan here :D). But I'm just as confused as you are when it comes to the doodles and the quote.

ChillyWilly on
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I was trying to find the GIF of Chuck, Forrest, Rashad and Wanderlei dancing at that Spike award show thing to join in the fun on page one but I couldn't find it. :(

Edit: Also, you know I'm down for PAFC3!

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    noobertnoobert Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hopefully they air the Kyle Noke fight. Gotta support my Australian MMA bros.

noobert on
  • Options
    WibodWibod Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Preacher wrote: »

He is, though the "accusation" is that he was juicing some years ago, not that he is now. Basically, he was involved with other people that were involved with steroids. There's no proof that he himself did anything.

He had steroids mailed to his house with his name on them from what I remember.

Wibod on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Oh, yeah. I know it's the Undertaker (avid wrestling fan here :D). But I'm just as confused as you are when it comes to the doodles and the quote.
    It's an infamous Japanese quote, "Yaranaika?"

The man asks that question, which is the Japanese equivalent of "Wanna do it?", to someone walking by then proceeds to unzip his pants. Undertaker asking that exact same question while exchanging glances with Lesnar was similar to that.

• Options
    edited October 2010
    It's an infamous Japanese quote, "Yaranaika?"

The man asks that question, which is the Japanese equivalent of "Wanna do it?", to someone walking by then proceeds to unzip his pants. Undertaker asking that exact same question while exchanging glances with Lesnar was similar to that.

Sounds like a hobby I need to take up on the weekends.

ChillyWilly on
  • Options
    doug_grammardoug_grammar Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Mir vs. Nelson would be a good solution to that particular problem.

Edit: I love Pat Barry, but a whopper meal would last longer against Nelson.

Oh snap.

Worst part is that it's true.

Most likely it would be Frank Mir given his poor performance recently.

doug_grammar on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    UFC 121 fighter pay, courtesy of MMA Weekly.

Main Card Fighters (On Pay-Per-View):
    Cain Velasquez: $200,000 (includes $100,000 win bonus) def. Brock Lesnar: $400,000
    Jake Shields: $150,000 (includes $75,000 win bonus) def. Martin Kampmann: $27,000
    Diego Sanchez: $100,000 (includes $50,000 win bonus) def. Paulo Thiago: $18,000
    Matt Hamill: $58,000 (includes $29,000 win bonus) def. Tito Ortiz: $250,000
    Brendan Schaub: $20,000 (includes $10,000 win bonus) def. Gabriel Gonzaga: $67,000

Preliminary Card Fighters (On Spike TV):
    Court McGee: $30,000 (includes $15,000 win bonus) def. Ryan Jensen: $10,000
    Tom Lawlor: $20,000 (includes $10,000 win bonus) def. Patrick Cote: $21,000

Preliminary Card Fighters (Non-Televised):
    Daniel Roberts: $16,000 (includes $8,000 win bonus) def. Mike Guymon: $8,000
    Sam Stout: $32,000 (includes $16,000 win bonus) def. Paul Taylor: $16,000
    Chris Camozzi: $16,000 (includes $8,000 win bonus) def. Dongi Yang: $8,000
    Jon Madsen: $16,000 (includes $8,000 win bonus) def. Gilbert Yvel: $30,000

UFC 121 Disclosed Fighter Payroll: $1,513,000

ChillyWilly on
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Cain Velasquez: $200,000 (includes $100,000 win bonus) def. Brock Lesnar: $400,000

only guy i know who loses a belt and a match in 4 minutes and still makes more money than the guy who whooped his ass

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

only guy i know who loses a belt and a match in 4 minutes and still makes more money than the guy who whooped his ass

To be fair, that amount was signed way before the ass whooping.

ChillyWilly on
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Don't forget Brock also gets a cut of the PPV.

Cain might have as well for being in the main event but we can't know that for sure.

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I think Cain also got an extra 70k on top of his 200k for the knockout of the night. So, his disclosed pay is almost as much as Brock's.

-edit-

Ok, I just realized my math sucks, but at least its more than half. OK?!?

Dangerbird on
  • Options
    doug_grammardoug_grammar Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Cain's going to be making a serious amount of dough now so it doesn't matter.

Feel bad for Thiago that he got less than 20k for a guy like him. Same for Kampmann and his 30k. At least Thiago got FOTN award.

doug_grammar on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    There's still not enough talk about EA MMA here.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Eh, fighting games.

adytum on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    There's still not enough talk about EA MMA here.
    It's soo good.

Did you enter their welterweight and light heavyweight tournament contest a few days ago? How did you do? I only fought and won one match since I didn't have time.

Lemme know if you wanna do battle.

• Options
    DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'd buy EA MMA if they released it for PC. Even if its a shitty port, I'd buy it anyways. Theres a real lack of fighting games for the PC.

Just 4D Boxing.. and thats it.

Dangerbird on