As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MMA XI: Old Thread is Old; Post in the New MMA XII Thread

• Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Sweet. Big brawl happens next week.

I hope the large black male nurse kills Koscheck.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Bah, Dane may be all calm and reasonable about his fight and subsequently not getting the wild card fight, but I am livid as a fight fan. Those judges robbed him, he shut down "Psycho"'s game in a big way, threatened way more with submissions and stand up, and "Psycho"'s GnP was not effective. And then to not get the wild card, instead going to a guy who was choked out in 18 seconds? What a load of shite.

Going to go watch the after show now and grumble some more :P
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    Dane very well may have won that fight had Sako not grabbed the fence.

That was some BS.

Screw Dana for not seeing that Dane deserved another shot.

I know, right?!?

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    TUF Notes:
    Kos is a complete ass, as always, way to call the medic a male nurse. Stay classy Koz.

Dana in a Korean Zombie shirt wooo!!

That coaches challenge was insane, I guess they really felt bad for Koz and wanted him to win something. Pretty impressive that GSP actually got a few hits given that he never held a bat before.

The fight. R1: Sayers almost got the early choke, but the problem with that is he ended up on the ground, he got up only taking a bit of damage. I'm surprised how difficulty Psycho is having taking Sayers down. I assumed his world class Judo would make that easy. That blocked take down makes me feel like Psycho took the round? Very close though.

R2: couple quick strikes, then the Judo throw but Sayers gets up. Takedown by Sayers but Psycho gets into half guard. Sayers takes some damage but somehow gets up. Sayers is dominating the round halfway through. Clinch against the cage, Sayers should have gotten a takedown but Psycho grabbed the cage twice. I think if you use the cage to stop a takedown there should be a point taken away with how much the judges count takedowns. Sayers is going to win the fight though (on my card 20 to 18) Gees another warning for fence grabbing. ZZZZzzzzzzzzz boring fight.

Hey I called the fight right. Go me. Psycho doesn't look that good. And Psycho is wrong though. You don't have to take his head off to take him down. You have to take off his hands so he can't grab the cage.

Metal Jared on
    BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    neither guy looked particularly good and sayers was super tentative on his feet.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Reznik wrote: »
    Koscheck is such a fucking tool. I can't wait for GSP to humilate him.

"hurr durr male nurse hurr"

Seriously? Go jump off a fucking bridge.

This. If Paul Daley had KO'd him with that shot it would have been so fucking satisfying (and worth him losing his career in the UFC over).

Oh and I agree that Mayhem needs to be in the UFC, they are all fapping over Shields but people forget that Mayhem nearly chocked Jake out in their fight, he was saved by the bell big time. Miller is a solid MW and a good draw.

Cote's gone? I am suprised actually, his injury fucked him up but to be fair I didn't appreciate his recent attempt to stay relevant by shit talking Bisping to try and keep his name out there. It was obviously out of character and desperate and Mike was upset as they had met on got on just fine.

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    SnarfmasterSnarfmaster Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    B:L wrote: »
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    stupid sonnen not getting clean in time for his drug test.
    I know, Dana White makes it so easy to cycle your PEDs in time to be clean for the scheduled test.

all of MMA makes it easy. isn't testing set by the athletic commissions? granted, the UFC could add its own, stricter testing requirements I imagine. Does Strikeforce have its own standards?

The testing for MMA is a Joke currently. It's pretty much come piss in this cup anytime within a month before the fight whenever you feel like it. Barnet was saying after his positive that there's no way his test was legitimately positive since he chose when to take the test and he'd have to be a complete moron to show up knowing he was going to test positive when there are easy ways around it. Any athlete that's competed at a high level can tell you if you know when the test is coming you're not going to test positive unless you're a moron or you can't follow simple instructions.

Snarfmaster on
  • Options
    NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The world’s premier mixed martial arts promotion issued a press release on Tuesday claiming UFC president Dana White would make a “major announcement” Thursday during a media conference call.

Unfortunately, ESPN’s Pardon the Interruption let the cat out of the proverbial bag this afternoon by announcing the Octagon will soon be launching it’s own network – a la the NFL and WWE.

“The UFC is planning to start it’s own TV Network. Is that a good idea?” co-host Michael Wilbon asked.

“I’ve got 75,000 networks on my cable system. Certainly, there’s room for even that,” PTI partner Tony Kornheiser replied.

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    "Is that a good idea?" Deep insight there mr. interviewer.

Would this mean more fights or more bullshit?

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Most likely more bullshit. I'm a huge MMA fan and I get my fill of UFC between TUF, Primetime events, UFC Unleashed and PPVs (free or otherwise).

I'd like to know what they're actually going to be showing.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    If it's a channel I've got to pay for or that's only available on DirectTv and they pull their stuff of of spike and vs and other free channels then they can eat a dick. If it's free on basic cable or with the sports package I already get, then cool. I'm all for it.

Peen on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Peen, I miss your baby head avatar.

ChillyWilly on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I went to Axe Cop for Halloween, gangsta baby will be back next week.

Peen on
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I reviewed Dane Sayers vs Sako and there was a whole host of other fence grabbing by Sako when he was holding Dane against the fence that the Ref didn't even notice since it was on the other side from where the Ref was... Even with that, multiple times wondering why the Ref wasn't separating them as there was little position improvement or action going on as pointed out by Stephan Bonnar in the Aftermath interview. Fuck that Ref now too. And especially fuck Sako, whose nick shouldn't be 'psycho' but "cheater".

Sure, steal from a NAN, that just looks great. D:

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    For those who may find interest in such things, a new chapter of Teppuu, a manga about a high school girl who enters the world of Women's MMA, was released a day or so ago.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm not sure which is stupider "Hurhurhur, you're a male nurse" or "I don't even know why he's here". Also, it may be the editing, but it seemed to me that Koscheck is quick to talk the most shit to the one guy who's not a fighter.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    SnarfmasterSnarfmaster Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So it's official, the WEC and UFC are finally merging in January.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCIWWLnJSN4&feature=player_embedded

Snarfmaster on
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    That's big news. I hope some WEC guys get bigger paychecks because of it.

Also maybe a Ben Henderson / Frankie Edgar fight? But who do I root for? I dislike both of them so much.

adytum on
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    This immediately makes future UFC cards better.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    So has anyone ever used MMA Vault?

http://www.mmavault.com/home.asp

The pricing doesn't look too terrible and they seem to have a pretty good list of instructional DVDs. Thinking about signing up.

ChillyWilly on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    time for some serious aldo ownage
    everyone better start gaining weight

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    dlinfiniti wrote: »

Seriously.

I demand to see Aldo vs. Maynard so Jose can show KenFlo how a BJJ Black Belt with some Muay Thai training is supposed to fight.

ChillyWilly on
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Seriously.

I demand to see Aldo vs. Maynard so Jose can show KenFlo how a BJJ Black Belt with some Muay Thai training is supposed to fight.
    On his back, completely smothered and neutralized?

I think KenFlo already knows how that goes.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Cool, get to see Brad Pickett on the bigger stage now...and Aldo :D

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    i'm surprised dana said he gave the undertaker those seats
    whenever asked about celebrity presence cageside, he's always adamantly maintained that everyone you see up front buys their own seats (publically at least)

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Seriously.

Putting Aldo and Florian under the same umbrella labeled "some Muay Thai" training is excessively broad, like labeling them both as residents of the Western Hemisphere. Just because the two are going to be in the same promotion doesn't mean their striking is in the same league.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Aldo moving up would be a glorious thing, I'm all for it.

Peen on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    BubbaT wrote: »

Seriously.

Putting Aldo and Florian under the same umbrella labeled "some Muay Thai" training is excessively broad, like labeling them both as residents of the Western Hemisphere. Just because the two are going to be in the same promotion doesn't mean their striking is in the same league.

I'm aware. I was being broad on purpose. I don't know how Muay Thai fighters are ranked or if they even are, so I can't really make a valid skill comparison. It's not like talking about the difference between a purple belt and a black belt in BJJ...I don't really have a way to quantify it.

What I mean is that they have similar skill sets but that I think Aldo would do much better against Maynard.

ChillyWilly on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Seriously.

I'm aware. I was being broad on purpose. I don't know how Muay Thai fighters are ranked or if they even are, so I can't really make a valid skill comparison. It's not like talking about the difference between a purple belt and a black belt in BJJ...I don't really have a way to quantify it.

What I mean is that they have similar skill sets but that I think Aldo would do much better against Maynard.

Agree Aldo would do better, but that's because he has a better skill set than Florian. Just on the good ol' eye test alone, Aldo's striking is leaps and bounds ahead. So Aldo's elite striking + BJJ > Florian's average striking + BJJ.

If you need a more objective comparison, Aldo has many wins by (T)KO, Florian doesn't.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    To be fair to KenFlo, it's hardly a fair comparison. Aldo's on a different plane from 99% of MMA strikers.

Peen on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Aldo vs. Silva

Make it happen Dana

adytum on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    a TUF season at 135lb would be the most awesome thing ever
    especially if they get heavyweights to coach it (any combination of mir, brock, and roy) would make for the best TV

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Aldo vs Silva vs Machida under San Do rules.

Mazzagatti and Miragliatta team up as refs.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    a_m_a_ta_m_a_t Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    TUF with 135 and 145 pounders, Urijah Faber and Miguel Torres as coaches. Doooo itttttt

a_m_a_t on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    The funniest thing about Miguel Torres is that he looks like an eight year old when he isn't mean mugging.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    a_m_a_t wrote: »
    TUF with 135 and 145 pounders, Urijah Faber and Miguel Torres as coaches. Doooo itttttt

Yeah this is the kind of thing they'll 100% do, I have no doubt at all.

Peen on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Peen wrote: »
    To be fair to KenFlo, it's hardly a fair comparison. Aldo's on a different plane from 99% of MMA strikers.

That's why it's unfair to Florian to say Aldo would show him how Maynard should be fought. Florian doesn't have the tools to do what Aldo does.

It's like telling Stephen Bonnar that all he needed to do against Forrest was fight like Anderson Silva.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Fun facts about the UFC / WEC merger
    - Jose Aldo is automatically the UFC Featherweight Champion; he'll defend his UFC featherweight title at UFC 125 on January 1st against a yet-to-be-determined opponent.

- WEC 53 (December 16th; Glendale, Arizona) will be the final WEC event. The winner of the bantamweight title fight between Dominick Cruz and Scott Jorgensen will become the UFC Bantamweight Champion. The winner of the lightweight title fight between Ben Henderson and Anthony Pettis will automatically face the winner of Frankie Edgar vs. Gray Maynard at UFC 125.

- The UFC's new deal with Versus includes four fights in 2011.

- Dana wouldn't discuss those network TV deal rumors, and he didn't feel like talking about Ontario, other than "it's done, and we're coming soon."

- DW: "We're already maxed out on pay-per-views...the way I see it, you'll get more free fights."

- There are no plans to add women or super-heavyweights into the UFC. However, an Ultimate Fighter season with featherweights and/or bantamweights will happen "soon."

- Sean Shelby and Reed Harris don't need to start preparing their resumes just yet. Said Dana, "we'll figure out how everybody's gonna fit in, but there's so much work to do over here that nobody's gonna be sitting around."

- No word on if Brittney Palmer will also be absorbed into the UFC, though the current Octagon Girl pit could certainly use her.

Also Gonzaga is cut.

adytum on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    All I see with this is Penn (as his current self) being completely shut out of the lightweight division.

adytum on
  • Options
    NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Poor Gonzaga. He never did excel beyond the destruction of Crocop

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Peen wrote: »

That's why it's unfair to Florian to say Aldo would show him how Maynard should be fought. Florian doesn't have the tools to do what Aldo does.

It's like telling Stephen Bonnar that all he needed to do against Forrest was fight like Anderson Silva.

I really don't think that comparing Bonnar to Florian works. When has Bonnar even been close to a title shot in his division?

I think you might be reading a little too far into my comment. I'm just saying that Kenny and Jose have similar skillsets and I'd like to see what Jose does against Maynard. Let's move on, shall we? :D

ChillyWilly on