Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

6600 Calories A Day

13»

Posts

  • geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    canola oil + vinegar + garlic salt + pepper = awesome and not unhealthy dressing.

    geckahn on
  • firesidefireside Registered User
    edited January 2007
    geckahn wrote:
    canola oil + vinegar + garlic salt + pepper = awesome and not unhealthy dressing.
    Canola oil? Get some flavorful oil instead.

    fireside on
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2007
    fireside wrote:
    geckahn wrote:
    canola oil + vinegar + garlic salt + pepper = awesome and not unhealthy dressing.
    Canola oil? Get some flavorful oil instead.

    Extra virgin olive ftw.

    ElJeffe on
    Maddie: "I named my feet. The left one is flip and the right one is flop. Oh, and also I named my flip-flops."

    I make tweet.
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Most creamy salad dressings have sugar additives in them

    nexuscrawler on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD along with you if I get drunk well I know I'm gonna be gonna be the man whoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    ElJeffe wrote:
    Feral wrote:
    Your basic Burger King number 1 is 1230 calories (after a 479 calorie medium soda), not including cheese.

    There's something wrong with that soda calorie figure.

    I realized about an hour after I posted that I reversed the number of calories and number of grams. It's 200 calories, and 479 grams. The sum total is the same, though - it's still 1230 for the combo meal. I just posted the wrong number for the soda.

    This is just me, um, keeping you guys on your toes. Yeah. That's the ticket.

    Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.
    the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2007
    Feral wrote:
    ElJeffe wrote:
    Feral wrote:
    Your basic Burger King number 1 is 1230 calories (after a 479 calorie medium soda), not including cheese.

    There's something wrong with that soda calorie figure.

    I realized about an hour after I posted that I reversed the number of calories and number of grams. It's 200 calories, and 479 grams. The sum total is the same, though - it's still 1230 for the combo meal. I just posted the wrong number for the soda.

    This is just me, um, keeping you guys on your toes. Yeah. That's the ticket.

    Ah. That makes more sense, and also makes the meal a little less healthy. Though even 1000 calories for a single meal doesn't strike me as obscene. High, sure, but not as high as I would've expected for a pile of grease like that.

    ElJeffe on
    Maddie: "I named my feet. The left one is flip and the right one is flop. Oh, and also I named my flip-flops."

    I make tweet.
  • LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS
    edited January 2007
    This is a excellent site for counting calories for certain foods, meals and restaurant foods as well. Most foods it'll show the nutrition facts too. Really helped me lose weight last Summer.

    http://www.calorie-count.com/

    LondonBridge on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD along with you if I get drunk well I know I'm gonna be gonna be the man whoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    ElJeffe wrote:
    Ah. That makes more sense, and also makes the meal a little less healthy. Though even 1000 calories for a single meal doesn't strike me as obscene. High, sure, but not as high as I would've expected for a pile of grease like that.

    You're right, it's not obscene, and a young moderately active male could easily have a 3000 calorie per day basal metabolic rate.

    They upsell so much, though. Directly next to the basic burger combo at any fast-food restaurant is the double-patty version of the same thing. Then they're always asking you, do you want cheese with that? Upsize your fries? Etc. That 1000-calorie meal is the standard by which all the other meals at the restaurant are compared. That 1000-calorie meal should be a fairly large meal but if the fast food menu is your basis of comparison it's an average-to-smallish meal. (The situation is worse if you're on a five-meal plan rather than a three-meal plan.)

    Study after study show that Americans have a very distorted perception of portion sizes. There are a lot of reasons for that, and I don't think the chain restaurants are to blame per se, but they do reinforce those perceptions.

    Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.
    the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Irond Will wrote:
    GoodOmens wrote:
    I suspect that going to (for example) McD's regularly is something like the people who absolutely NEED their Dunkin' Donuts coffee everyday. It's routine verging on dependency.
    Are you in Salem, GoodOmens? Nowhere outside New England would anyone consider Dunkins coffee except in desperation, let alone every day.

    Yep. I realize that Starbucks has the rest of the country in its cancerous grip (I used to live just north of Seattle, close to the belly of the beast) but around here the Dunkin hegemony is nearly perfect.

    GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Feral wrote:
    Study after study show that Americans have a very distorted perception of portion sizes. There are a lot of reasons for that, and I don't think the chain restaurants are to blame per se, but they do reinforce those perceptions.
    I remember I went out to Steak and Shake with some friends. One of them had a coupon for a double steakburger, and gave me a weird look when I said I didn't want to use it because I only wanted 1 patty on my burger.

    I can barely finish a Whopper or Quarter Pounder or whatever equivalent "standard" sandwich anymore. (and usually don't) Of course, I can drink soda all day long, which probably makes up for smaller burger portions...

    mrflippy on
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar Audio Game Developer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Most creamy salad dressings have sugar additives in them

    Hell, Sunchips have sugar.

    Incenjucar on
  • YarYar Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I knew Super Size Me was a little skewed when the guy puked the first time he ate the supersize dbl qrt lber.

    I don't eat McDonalds ever anymore (maybe once a year). But I know I can put away the biggest value meal they have without much trouble. And I'm not that big of a guy.

    Morgan was a total puss, which is why he got the results he did.

    But the movie made a lot of great points, particularly about how misguided we are on school lunches.

    He also pointed out the skinny, healthy guy who eats two or three whoppers a day. The guy just never got fries.

    Yar on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD along with you if I get drunk well I know I'm gonna be gonna be the man whoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Yar wrote:
    He also pointed out the skinny, healthy guy who eats two or three whoppers a day. The guy just never got fries.

    That guy has to have an insane metabolism, too.
    When I was doing resistance training in college, I could pack down 2 hamburgers for lunch. 2 whoppers or 3 whopper jrs (no cheese, no mayo) was a pretty typical lunch for me. But I was doing resistance training four days a week and cardio three.

    Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.
    the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2007
    mrflippy wrote:
    I remember I went out to Steak and Shake with some friends. One of them had a coupon for a double steakburger, and gave me a weird look when I said I didn't want to use it because I only wanted 1 patty on my burger.

    I can barely finish a Whopper or Quarter Pounder or whatever equivalent "standard" sandwich anymore. (and usually don't) Of course, I can drink soda all day long, which probably makes up for smaller burger portions...

    I typically get a double, but then only eat half of it. I just like the meat:other stuff ratio on the double better than the single.

    I rarely, rarely finish an entire meal at a fast food place. Not even close.

    ElJeffe on
    Maddie: "I named my feet. The left one is flip and the right one is flop. Oh, and also I named my flip-flops."

    I make tweet.
  • HarrierHarrier Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Ironically, I think McDonalds tends to have more reasonable portions than has become the norm for fast food restaurants. Even the Big Mac isn't that big compared to what's served at other places, and if you stick to small or medium for the drink and fries it's not a whole lot of food, at least in terms of pure edible matter.

    Burger King, though? Jesus, those things are huge. And you can triple-stack patties at Wendy's!

    Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    GoodOmens wrote:
    Irond Will wrote:
    GoodOmens wrote:
    I suspect that going to (for example) McD's regularly is something like the people who absolutely NEED their Dunkin' Donuts coffee everyday. It's routine verging on dependency.
    Are you in Salem, GoodOmens? Nowhere outside New England would anyone consider Dunkins coffee except in desperation, let alone every day.

    Yep. I realize that Starbucks has the rest of the country in its cancerous grip (I used to live just north of Seattle, close to the belly of the beast) but around here the Dunkin hegemony is nearly perfect.
    Yup, there are more Dunks than McDonald's around here.

    deadonthestreet on
  • DynagripDynagrip destroy everything you touch Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    My weight can fluctuate wildly. Last I checked, a couple of weeks ago I clocked in at 224 lbs. In January of '06 I was down to a sickly 188 lbs. I'm 6' 2" and a heavy build, so to get down to 188 I didn't just lose fat, I lost a ton of muscle.

    It's weird. I think my waist and gut are increasing right now, but my arms and legs are getting stronger from all the exercise. I think I just need to use some discipline and lean up my diet. Say no to the fajitas for two when I'm by myself...even though I do love fajitas...and nachos...ooh, quesadillas.

    Dynagrip on
    ok98TNK.png
  • SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Harrier wrote:
    Ironically, I think McDonalds tends to have more reasonable portions than has become the norm for fast food restaurants. Even the Big Mac isn't that big compared to what's served at other places, and if you stick to small or medium for the drink and fries it's not a whole lot of food, at least in terms of pure edible matter.

    Burger King, though? Jesus, those things are huge. And you can triple-stack patties at Wendy's!

    I think "Manthem" is one of the greatest commercials of all time ( http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3861974550027138294 ), but I would never in a million years order a Texas Double or Triple Whopper ( http://www.calorie-count.com/calories/item/100997.html )

    Schrodinger on
Sign In or Register to comment.