As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[CHAT]sgiving is over; onward to [CHAT]smas!

• Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    My biggest fear if i'm not able to stay up here for school is that i'll have to save up another 10 grand before applying for another work visa, and a car payment would set that goal back for several years (not to mention insurance).

I am very happy I do not own a car at the moment, but i'd be lying if it didn't bite me in the ass every once and awhile.

Godfather on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    QUESTION: What do you guys say?

"carmel" or "caramel"
    The One True Answer: "Carmel" is stupid. I mean seriously. You forgot the other "a" there. Why would you say that? That's just not right.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited October 2010
    Caramel, if you're talking about the foodstuff. Carmel is ok if you're talking about a place name, but then it would have to capitalized.

Although now that I think of it, I do say "carmel corn" and not "caramel corn". I don't think I've ever heard anyone say "caramel corn."

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Godfather wrote: »
    Well dude that comes with the territory of living in a high-end city. At least you have options whenever time does come your way.

Better to have that than a flexible income, but trapped in a dead-end place.

*raises hand*

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Trick question. Both pronunciations are acceptable by the Merriam-Webster Dictionary.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Actually I think I say "carmel apples" too. I think my pronunciation varies upon how high-class a foodstuff it's involved in. For like a Godiva chocolate with caramel in it, I'd say 'caramel.'

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    PierceNeck wrote: »
    Trick question. Both pronunciations are acceptable by the Merriam-Webster Dictionary.

I will punch the Merriam-Webster Dictionary in its face.

It's just.....uuuugh I don't know why I hate the "car-mel" pronunciation so much, but uuuuuugh I do.
    uuuuugh ugh ugh uuuuuuugh

NightDragon on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2010
    Although now that I think of it, I do say "carmel corn" and not "caramel corn". I don't think I've ever heard anyone say "caramel corn."

I feel like carmel corn is pretty appropriate, saying Caramel corn is trying to add class to fiddle faddle that it doesnt really need.

I always thought it was an A that was simply dropped in speed, or in southern drawl, I didn't know the dictionary recognized it.

Iruka on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    It's funny that both of you guys consider "caramel" a classier pronunciation...I've never really made that association - but I have heard "caramel" more often than "carmel", regardless of what the foodstuff is.

I was just curious how commonplace "carmel" was.

[edit] and I also had no idea the dictionary recognized it...though maybe it's one of those things that got added in after time, because everybody started pronouncing it that way? ...it's kinda funny to check out all the new words, actually, that have made it into the dictionary over the past handful of years. I always thought it was pretty interesting...especially when my grandmother asked me a few years ago, "what does 'bling' mean?" and she was reading the New York Times...and I remember that that word had recently made it into the dictionary around that time.

Also "tree-hugger" and I think "Google" as a verb. If not then, I'm pretty sure it's in there now.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Quit hatin' on me and Bacon's midwestification of words.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Scos

I'm uuuuuugh-ing at you. And Bacon. And your.....car-mel.

uuuuuuugh

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    carmel carmel carmel carmel

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    why do classes have to have such vague names

what does 2 dimensional topics encompass? beginning studio 2d? introduction to artists' books?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010

I will cut you

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Scos

I'm uuuuuugh-ing at you. And Bacon. And your.....car-mel.

uuuuuuugh

It could be worse- when I was a kid my family almost moved to Carmel, Indiana, thus making your head explode, Scanners-style, every time you even glanced in my direction.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    In my old neighborhood, the only street in or out was Carmel Dr.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    It's cool man, I understand. I used to get so frustrated with my job that I threatened to quit nearly every day.

But I haven't worked a real, 40-hour week in almost a year now. I've got a lot of applications in processing right now. Nationwide, Wells Fargo, Wellmark, Qwest, Principle (I dunno how far they reach, so Mars and me might be the only people who know what principle is), Hy Vee, Walmart, Sams club, burger king, mac fucking donalds (too bad I don't live in cedar rapids eh buddy)

Nobody's biting. And I'm pretty sure it's because my work history sucks. I spent entirely too much time fucking around between the ages of 18 and 23 (read: 6 months of real employment in that period), so I've got these huge gaping chasms of highly transparent laziness marring my resumes and applications. I don't even get the chance for anyone to ask "So what have you been doing."

Also, nobody ever taught me how to market myself. My dad tells me shit about job interviews, resume writing, how to make contacts with people, how to dress, how to carry yourself. But everybody else I've talked to about it (people at the unemployment office, friends, other family members, people on these boards) flatly contradicts just about everything he says, except for that last bit.

I have one boss who retired, one who went out of business and into hiding I guess, since she dropped off the face of the fucking earth, and my other boss is just the one guy. If you could talk to any of them, my reference would be glowing. "Never late. Never missed work. Never stole anything, never had to talk to him twice about any problems. Seemed like I always had to remind the guy that he was entitled to break time. Volunteered for extra responsibilities on a regular basis. Filled in for other people when they needed it. Would rehire."

I'm not in anywhere nearly as bad of a situation as I was in a couple of years ago (today it's just kind of a hassle). That was a dark place. I had suicidal thoughts. As Jerry would have put it, I was experiencing "exciting new bottoms" on a daily basis. I might have gone through with it if I wasn't such a huge pussy.

That era of my life taught me a lot. I was a lot more prepared for unemployment this time around, since I saw the warning signs months in advance, and I actually have a place to sleep now (back then I couldn't even afford to stay at the damned shelter. I was eating like twice a week. My dad would have helped me out maybe, but for some reason I just didn't have the heart to ask him. Like I would be bothering the guy. How fucked up is that?)

You know what's really holding me back? No driver's license. I'll have it back next month, but I'm not gonna be able to scrape together enough unemployment to buy a car and insurance and gas while maintaining payments on bills. If I could get any fucking job at all, minimum wage even, I would be in ship-shape inside of 8 months. My student loans would be out of default. I'd have a car and a license. I'd be able to get some grant money for school. I could finish my certifications and get a decent job while I figure out what exactly it is I want to do.

Wow this turned into way more of a rant than I intended it to be.

I understand though.

The only thing I can recommend for you in regards to job hunting is to not worry about being so damned honest through-out your whole application process. You have large gaps in your resume? Make up a job and tell them you were self employed! I would especially recommend saying you had your own website start-up but for reasons unforeseen you could not turn it into a successful business model etc, etc. Or say you were a student living off of loans during certain periods but for reasons unforeseen you could no longer afford to stay in school, etc. etc.

You sound a lot like myself in the respect that I was terrible at job applications when it came to just filling out the application (like yourself, at the time, I had a terrible work history), but I was the type that if I could just get a face-to-face interview, that's where I would really shine. I felt as long as I could get past the initial paperwork hurdle and get some face time, I'd be ok.
    Also Mars I did not realize that you were of the 420 persuasion. Interesting.

Yeah, on occasion. I try and save it for a time when I'm caught up on work or when I can make a special occasion out of it.

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010

I will cut you

dude, your entire country pronounces things oddly. Why should caramel get a pass?

tynic on
  • Options
    ParadiseParadise Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I say "carmel".

"Caramel" is for elitist American yuppies and foreigners.
    I'm kidding, but I do say "carmel".

Paradise on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    tynic wrote: »

I will cut you

dude, your entire country pronounces things oddly. Why should caramel get a pass?

Wait, so do most English-speaking people in other countries pronounce it "carmel", or something?

ninjai wrote: »
    what do you guys think of this place? Looking for schools, and the Denver art institute doesn't really offer the degree program I'm looking for. I'm open for suggestions also. Got 9 months before I get back from my deployment so I got time to decide :/

What are you looking to accomplish, in the long and short-term? Do you need a degree? Do you want to have a career in art? Doing what (what job title)? Could you attend a place without getting any financial aid, or would you need that?

NightDragon on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    tynic wrote: »

I will cut you

Wait, so do most English-speaking people in other countries pronounce it "carmel", or something?

No, everywhere else says car-a-mel. I was just saying 'carmel' is hardly the worst word-mangling to come out of north america :P

tynic on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Yep. I've heard Americans say "ker-mull" and "care-mull"

Paradise on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    oh man, tell me the worst

now I am curious

also: one of the weirdest British-English/US-English differences I've come across so far is "garage". My British friend pronounces it "GARE-idj", and the first time she said that I honestly had no idea what she was talking about. "BAY-zill" and "BAH-zill" I can understand, "ah-loo-MIN-ee-um" is cool-sounding, but "GARE-idj"? what the hells.

One of my other favorite words from her is "struh-bree". It sounds like "strawberry", but...squished.

I love accents

NightDragon on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Wow, so I don't have electricity at my new place yet... so my land lord gave me a free pass on electricity this month. Woo-hoo!

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The only thing I can recommend for you in regards to job hunting is to not worry about being so damned honest through-out your whole application process. You have large gaps in your resume? Make up a job and tell them you were self employed! I would especially recommend saying you had your own website start-up but for reasons unforeseen you could not turn it into a successful business model etc, etc. Or say you were a student living off of loans during certain periods but for reasons unforeseen you could no longer afford to stay in school, etc. etc.

You sound a lot like myself in the respect that I was terrible at job applications when it came to just filling out the application (like yourself, at the time, I had a terrible work history), but I was the type that if I could just get a face-to-face interview, that's where I would really shine. I felt as long as I could get past the initial paperwork hurdle and get some face time, I'd be ok.

I'm good at telling people what they want to hear, but my interview skills are kind of mediocre I'm told. It's hard for me to appear interested/enthusiastic because I'm such a stoic guy. I'm working on it. I feel pretty confident lately.

A website start-up. Hmm. That's a really good idea. Have you done that? What business did you use?

I say carmel. Who the hell cares.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    chillax, bro. It wasn't a serious thing.

8-)

Also, for interviews: maybe try smiling more, making more eye contact, and using stronger inflection in your voice? You can remain pretty physically still but sound more engaged/awake/enthusiastic/etc if your voice moves around more.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, god damn those other people and their wide strata of language differences. I wish we all were the same grey color and spoke the exact same language in the exact same ways.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    D-RobeD-Robe Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Forbe, for some reason that made me imagine the Borg, except instead of being all roboty they spoke in a heavy southern accent for some reason.

Personally I'd find that a lot more terrifying.
    We're the borg. Y'all be assimilated.

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    A website start-up. Hmm. That's a really good idea. Have you done that? What business did you use?
    I have. At the time I used a hobby website--which was in no way intended to be a replacement or supplant any actual income--and described it as a "joint-effort that ultimately fell through but taught me a great deal about managing a process and working on a team with others."

When do I start?
    I say carmel.

I say "Golden-brown blocks of torment that pull the fillings out of teeth like light lost to a black hole and should be prejudiced with the highest degree of severity."

• Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    carmel

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I say "Golden-brown blocks of torment that pull the fillings out of teeth like light lost to a black hole and should be prejudiced with the highest degree of severity."

I can only imagine the words on anguish and horror you'd use to describe Now and Laters, then.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I love caramel apples.

Also, help me get a computer, buy my printssssssssssssssssssss

My overheating problems are hardlocking my macbook :(

wakkawa on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    wakkawa, I promise that, when I get a job both of your books (and possibly a print or two) will be bought up with my first paycheck.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    oh man, tell me the worst

now I am curious

I don't know if there's a worst. Accents are pretty cool most of the time.

Though... there's one particular pronunciation that used to bother me a lot. Some people in the Appalachian mountains replace the short "i" sound with the long "E" sound. For example, when they say the word "six", it sounds like "seeks" (this change is based on the General American accent). I used to hate it, but you get used to stuff like that through exposure (like how you acquire a taste for olives).

Paradise on
  • Options
    ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    the worst is probably cajun... or country irish...

ninjai on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

I can only imagine the words on anguish and horror you'd use to describe Now and Laters, then.

The hubris of Now and Laters is in just how accurate the product's name is in it's commitment to steal all your teeth.

• Options
    AlyceInWonderlandAlyceInWonderland Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Iruka wrote: »
    So I was thinking that I could maybe get a PA:AC fund going for us to have a forum collective subscription to the gnomon dvds, but they dont take paypal, which is unfortunate. Still, you all trusted me with a little money for the AC: DA group, so I wonder. I don't have a ton of money atm, but just to test the water, would anyone be interested in this?

Basically it'd be like, 10 people throw down 50 bucks, and we all get the account info and the full library of Gnomon for a year.

I don't want this post to be overlooked. I think this is a great idea. Right now, I don't have the money to put into it, but soon I will, when I get my next paycheck. Anyway, I think everyone should think about this. It would be super beneficial to all of us!

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Iruka wrote: »
    So I was thinking that I could maybe get a PA:AC fund going for us to have a forum collective subscription to the gnomon dvds, but they dont take paypal, which is unfortunate. Still, you all trusted me with a little money for the AC: DA group, so I wonder. I don't have a ton of money atm, but just to test the water, would anyone be interested in this?

Basically it'd be like, 10 people throw down 50 bucks, and we all get the account info and the full library of Gnomon for a year.

I don't want this post to be overlooked. I think this is a great idea. Right now, I don't have the money to put into it, but soon I will, when I get my next paycheck. Anyway, I think everyone should think about this. It would be super beneficial to all of us!

Oh, hey, yeah I'd be down for this later than sooner (when I have a little extra to toss at it).

Before doing this, however, have you looked into their TOS regarding such a collective? They may not say anything against it outright, but they may also have a policy in place regarding sharing accounts, or too many unique IPs logging in to one account, etc etc.

Just something to ponder.

• Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    the worst accent is Bostonian

wicked bad

Tam on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Would anyone else be interested in a custom brushes/texture exchange?

This discussion has been closed.