As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Video Pinball] Pinball FX 2 is on the Humble Bundle! Get it now!

• Options
    MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    Can the new tables be purchased on the PS3 without buying the original tables?

steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • Options
    CellorifficCelloriffic Registered User regular
    So it was new table day. Quick impressions:

World War Hulk looks to be the most traditional table of the bunch. It feels bigger than normal, but has all the ramps/missions/targets/etc you would expect.

Infinity Gauntlet is the standout. Oh, so very video pinbally, and plenty of distractions on the table, but the different gem effects are a fantastic touch. Didn't finish a single gem mission yet, but still...

Fear Itself. Yeah. Umm... I'm getting more of a pachinko vibe than pinball off of it, mostly because I feel like I have just slightly more than zero control over what's happening. The circular bottom of the playfield is a neat touch.

The Avengers: I don't think I like it. I found the table completely non-intuitive. I don't like the layout, (especially the fact that the middle left lane is the ball drain, and I had enough instances of the ball coming down the far left and not having enough momentum to cross the gap) and the different hero balls are distracting. Points to Zen for branching out and trying something new, but I find this table maddening.

New ball physics? I've been playing too much Pinball Arcade to know for sure. I had a heck of a time adjusting back, though.
    Marikir wrote: »
    Can the new tables be purchased on the PS3 without buying the original tables?

While I'm not 100% sure, it does not appear that way. It's listed as an add-on, not a standalone. I believe you'd need the Marvel Pinball game on PS3 to access them.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Yeah, Zen Pinball won't have the FX hub until Zen Pinball 2 comes out.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    New ball physics? I've been playing too much Pinball Arcade to know for sure. I had a heck of a time adjusting back, though.

Granted, I'm a bit out of touch too, but I'm pretty sure on this. Just compare, more than anything else, the ball speed when it comes down and bounces between the flippers. Simply enough, it's less floaty than the previous tables, and there's just more pep present. I would also swear the ball spins more, but that's pretty much just a guarantee of being able to see it through the different Avengers balls.

On that topic, while I only played the table once, I enjoyed it, and I seem to like much of what you didn't. I found the ramps being tied to a hero each was very intuitive (although picking them out at first is less intuitive for sure). I loved the different balls, and that locking them removed them from selection. There's actually a level of personality there I don't think you would find in pinball anywhere else - each ball is specifically THAT ball, and suddenly there is a reason to care more about one or two in particular.
    That left outlane though ... yeah, I'm also on the "Seriously?" train. I don't think I had as bad a time with it as you, but I certainly see it as a problem (and did, I will say, lose 2 of my 5 balls to it failing to clear the gap). However I see it as something that, given time, could reflexively be avoided.

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    holy crap, the infinity gauntlet table is SO GOOD. worth $10 by itself.

• Options
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    holy crap, the infinity gauntlet table is SO GOOD. worth $10 by itself.

Oh, Infinity Gauntlet, y u no have kickbacks? I'm struggling on this table.

• Options
    i just got like 70mil on the avengers table and i dont even know how. that table has a lot of stuff going on.

• Options
    fear itself is... weird. i like the circular bottom, but man i cant figure out whats going on with some of the things on there. also it doesnt help that im not familiar with any of the storyline or whatever. world war hulk seems real cool. just a maze of ramps and nonsense. real fast paced. looking forward to digging into that one more.

• Options
    i just got like 70mil on the avengers table and i dont even know how. that table has a lot of stuff going on.

Potentially, you did the same multiball I did, which took me from ~6M to ~80M by the time I dropped a ball and it stayed out.

• Options
    world war hulk is like the wolverine table x10. i like it. is that series of comics cool? im not really into comics, but the silly shit on that table seems like it could be an entertaining read.

• Options
    ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    Does anyone know if any of the tables (the Avengers one in particular) are headed to the PSP or Vita? Just wondering if I'll have the chance to play pinball on the go.

• Options
    whenever zen pinball 2 comes out all the current zen piball and marvel tables will work in it, and its cross compatible with the vita at no extra charge too. so yea, its coming whenever zp2 actually comes out.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/04/09/zen-pinball-2-coming-spring-2012-for-playstation-and-ps-vita/

• Options
    The OP needs a PSA explaining the Zen/FX similarities and differences :0

• Options
    Well, this discussion about virtual tables inspired me to track down the Pinball HoF Williams game (on 360). But what I'm really waiting on is the FX2 for PS3. I am wanting the new Marvel tables and then probably Pinball Arcade when Twilight Zone comes out later this year.

• Options
    zen pinball 2 is a free upgrade if you already own zen pinball or marvel or whatever, so theres no real reason to wait if you want that stuff.

from that link i posted before
    So, how will all of this work if you have purchased Zen Pinball or Marvel Pinball and any DLC? It’s going to be super easy! When Zen Pinball 2 releases, you will simply need to download and install a game update, and your game will be updated FREE of charge. All of your tables will appear in one location, they will have received updated ball physics and graphics, new trophies and a much deeper social experience including in game notifications, friend challenges and even posting scores to Facebook. This free update is our way of saying THANK YOU for supporting Zen Studios and allowing us to continue work on the game we love so much.

also im SO CLOSE to beating sh1nato's score on world war hulk (forget your forum name, at the moment). hes got 116million and ive topped out at like 101million. i will defeat you, sir!

• Options
    These tables play out like this.

Cantido started a mission----oh, wait ball lost.

I think today was the first day I nabbed more than one Infinity Gem.

• Options
    zen pinball 2 is a free upgrade if you already own zen pinball or marvel or whatever, so theres no real reason to wait if you want that stuff.

from that link i posted before
    So, how will all of this work if you have purchased Zen Pinball or Marvel Pinball and any DLC? It’s going to be super easy! When Zen Pinball 2 releases, you will simply need to download and install a game update, and your game will be updated FREE of charge. All of your tables will appear in one location, they will have received updated ball physics and graphics, new trophies and a much deeper social experience including in game notifications, friend challenges and even posting scores to Facebook. This free update is our way of saying THANK YOU for supporting Zen Studios and allowing us to continue work on the game we love so much.

also im SO CLOSE to beating sh1nato's score on world war hulk (forget your forum name, at the moment). hes got 116million and ive topped out at like 101million. i will defeat you, sir!

Well, you can't buy the new tables without the base Marvel game. Which, while good, I don't wish to purchase just yet. If I could, I probably would and just be done with it. But for some reason I think I want the new ones first. That's the only reason I'm waiting for FX2 on PS3.

As to Pinball Arcade, I'll see what they do with pricing TZ and ST:TNG (assuming they raise the fundage for that one) though what I really want is Addams Family but then, who doesn't?

• Options
    edited June 2012
    I just spent an hour on Fear Itself trying to beat at least one Worthy. Couldn't do it.

Oh, and the raft spinner quest for Iron Man is impossible.

Cantido on
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Sorry about the double, but does anyone know how to beat the Reality Gem event?

I thought Reality was the most confusing thing possible in The Infinity Gauntlet Table....then Gauntlet Multiball started during Reality.

And hey! I'm really close to Celloriffic on that table! EDIT - Oh, wait, he's been busy.

Cantido on
  • Options
    Apparently something about Infinity Gauntlet clicks with me, because I have only played the table twice, and I am currently ranked 12th on the 360 leaderboard. <_<
    That said, I managed to collect all 6 gems, trying no less than 12 times for the Mind Gem, and then less than 2 minutes after acquiring it, losing my last ball before activating any nifty wizard mode. :'(
    *going to bed dissatisfied with himself*

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Apparently something about Infinity Gauntlet clicks with me, because I have only played the table twice, and I am currently ranked 12th on the 360 leaderboard. <_<
    That said, I managed to collect all 6 gems, trying no less than 12 times for the Mind Gem, and then less than 2 minutes after acquiring it, losing my last ball before activating any nifty wizard mode. :'(
    *going to bed dissatisfied with himself*

Good lord. It took me all day and I got four Infinity Gems. I did figure out Reality though. I'm at about 165 million.

EDIT - and I still can't beat any Worthy.

Cantido on
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I've beaten 1, although I couldn't tell you the name. 2nd from the right. You have to hit some bumpers, then hit him. It was the only one I beat when I hit 80M as well. There's a lot of random shit on that table that's worth a ton if you can pull it off, although I have pretty much no idea how to properly activate anything other than the forge quest. I actually don't mind Fear Itself though.

Planet Hulk ... I feel kinda meh over. It's functional. It has some stuff. But I think I found myself hugely annoyed with the fact that hitting the mission gate has about a 1 in 5 chance of causing you a center-drain that's almost impossible to save. And, you know, you have to hit that gate 5 times to open it ... so ... yeah, I don't like it. Otherwise, there sure are ramps! =P

ArcticLancer on
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I've beaten 1, although I couldn't tell you the name. 2nd from the right. You have to hit some bumpers, then hit him. It was the only one I beat when I hit 80M as well. There's a lot of random shit on that table that's worth a ton if you can pull it off, although I have pretty much no idea how to properly activate anything other than the forge quest. I actually don't mind Fear Itself though.

Planet Hulk ... I feel kinda meh over. It's functional. It has some stuff. But I think I found myself hugely annoyed with the fact that hitting the mission gate has about a 1 in 5 chance of causing you a center-drain that's almost impossible to save. And, you know, you have to hit that gate 5 times to open it ... so ... yeah, I don't like it. Otherwise, there sure are ramps! =P

Oh yeah, a majority of my score from Fear Itself is from the many, many multiball events that table has going on. The variety is nice, I just wish I could beat some missions.

And Fear Itself is the first table where I went on full Tilt because my ball drained three times in a row and I had to do three bangbacks. Figuring out bangbacks on 360 made a big difference in my scoring. In Zen you just press Down. Down doesn't exist on 360 so you press Up+the direction the ball is rolling.

EDIT - I just beat Angrir. According to Zen's forum, always go for Angrir first because it's easy and can get your multiplier up fast since it requires the bumpers heavily.

Cantido on
  • Options
    the only worthy ive been able to beat so far is the one where you have to do full circles in the outer loop, and your flippers activate magnet accelerators down there. i forget his name though.

• Options
    nathanaelnathanael Registered User regular
    Has anyone had a chance to beat up the new tables on Pinball Arcade, Bride of Pin-Bot and Medieval Madness? I love Medieval Madness, but I'm struggling to find things about Bride of Pin-Bot to like. I've only played them on the Vita so far, so a spin on the PS3 may change my mind.

I'm starting to feel like once Zen Pinball 2 drops on the PS3 and brings with it every previously purchased/released table to the Vita, Pinball Arcade is going to get significantly less play time on the handheld.

This my Gamertag— NathanaelPM
    This is my PSN ID— Radthanael
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I managed to beat three Worthy. Angrir, Nul, and some third one. I still can't get more than four gems. I have yet to get Mind and I occasionally get Reality if I'm lucky.

EDIT - Heh, they snuck a meme in. The basketball Arena in World War Hulk replaces the New York Knicks with New York Sentinels :P

Cantido on
  • Options
    Yeah, I've been busy. I might have time to dedicate myself to the new tables this weekend.

BUT! While it's still the iOS App of the Week, Pinball Arcade is currently free for iPhone/iPad. It's just Tales of the Arabian Nights and the featured table of the month for free (everything else is in-app purchases), but free pinball is free pinball.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    I'm definitely playing Fear Itself and Infinity Gauntlet the most. I'm also beat four Worthy so far.

I'm at around 249 million on Infinity Gauntlet, and got every gem except Mind (which I lost because the blue ball was in the drain when the other balls vanished near the conclusion of the event. Go figure.) I burned through three, possibly four Extra Balls and lost two of them to Mind. Mind is too brutal.

A trick to that table is that there is no skillshot. They call it that but you can hit the ball as hard as you want. What matters is picking the prize you want. This means players will want to select Soul Trap Bumpers and hit the mall with max power. This allows you to grind towards the Half of the Universe event, which when beaten, gives you a free Infinity Gem (this was how I got Reality on my latest run.) By the time I was on my last ball, I was very close to another round of Half of the Universe. It would have been nice if I could have nabbed Mind for free.

I kinda wanna read The Infinity Gauntlet and Fear Itself now. I don't really read comic books. All I know from Thanos is from the two games, Marvel Super Heroes and War of the Gems.

Cantido on
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I'm fed up with The Avengers table and I ain't playing it anymore.

* The skillshot accuracy is beyond what is possible with my naked eyes and a large 1080p HDTV. Fear Itself, Thor, WWH and Ghost Rider do this too. This is a worrying trend that needs to die.
    * You start missions by hitting a wall of targets that knock your ball near the center drain over and over. Whoever thought of this needs to be punished by having to play El Dorado without pressing Restart over and over so they re-learn their lesson about why you don't do that.
    * Thor's fat ass occasionally bounces to the right side of the table, blocking the player's view of the entire lane, getting me killed over and over.
    * Occasionally, the left gate between the inner and outer left lanes decides to stop working and dump the ball in the drain, punishing the player for successfully hitting a ramp.

Cantido on
  • Options
    I've had similar mood swings regarding the Avengers table. The left-out lane is beyond problematic, and it's not JUST for when successfully hitting the ramp fails. The ball also has a natural tendency to lose all momentum after hitting an ODIN target, and falling straight down there as well. It's frustrating and unreasonable, and it feels like I can't play over 60% of the table because my shots just aren't safe. Only 2 of the ramps dump the ball to a kickback activation lane, and those don't feel entirely safe either. The whole thing is just a mess ...

Seriously, how is this yet another table that has come out, and it has been immediately apparent that the core central part of the table habitually dumps the ball down the center, yet there is no temporary ball save?

Oh well. At least Fear Itself and Infinity Gauntlet are quite good. I hope I get to play more of this at some point. So far I have had far too little time to dedicate to playing ...

• Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    Purchased and played the four new tables for Pinball Arcade last night on the PS3.

Medieval Madness is a lot of fun and quite amusing, but holy shit is it fast. Once you get used to it it's not so bad, but the first few games I played were painful. The left plunger mechanic is pretty cool when you trigger it. The first time I wasn't aware of what was going on and thought that a rail was about to dump my ball down the drain. The catapult is a lot of fun too.

Bride of PinBot is pretty good as well. It's difficult for me to hit the ramps consistently but I attribute that to my lack of skills and not the fault of the table. I like the skill shots at launch. Neat little mechanic there.

Cirqus Voltaire I do not care for. It is extremely easy to lose the ball immediately after launch. It's just extremely easy to lose the ball in general on this table. Maybe it's my lack of skill again, but I do not find this one very enjoyable. Maybe after I've crushed the other tables some more I may revist this one occasionally, but so far, I like the least of any of the Pinball Arcade tables.

Funhouse I found to be quite easy. Racked up quite a high score on my first or second playthrough. At one point I had three extra balls to play with. Maybe I just clicked well with this table. It's a little cramped, but I had a lot of fun with it.

If anyone wants to compare high scores on PS3, add me to the list.

I have sort of abandoned ZEN until the FX2 comes out and then I'll probably start picking some of those up again as well.

• Options
    Oh wow, I'll consider Pinball Arcade just for Medieval Madness.

The FX2 hub runs circles around that of Zen Pinball. I don't blame you for waiting.

• Options
    Finally set a nice score on Planet Hulk. I acquired an absurd number of free balls as random awards, but it balanced out with the number of stupid ones I lost. Really, over 60% of my final score was acquired on my 2nd ball. The final mission is kind of 'meh', and I don't think any of the ones along the way are that interesting either. I don't foresee myself playing it much more any time soon.

I also had a great run going on Fear Itself, but then managed to completely bomb it. I have become aware of some ball drains that I don't think should even be possible ... =_=
    I still enjoy playing that table. The aesthetic and sound effects are a bit jarring, but it plays smooth.

• Options
    POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    I think I hit a glitch in Pinball Arcade on the 360. I've got all the standard goals in Ripley's but the wizard goals didn't unlock. Not sure what to do...has anyone else had this happen? Worst case I'll finish off the other tables and clear my data to start over and see if that does it, but I'd rather not do that if I don't have to.

vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
  • Options
    I just beat my first Wizard Mode! On Infinity Gauntlet, no less. I got Mind legitimately and got Space via Half of the Universe, three Gauntlet Multiballs, and am sitting pretty on 350 Million. I finally beat Arctic at a table and I'm not done! I have two stacked Extra Balls and am on Ball 2, so continuing tomorrow will be like a second run. Lets see how high I can go!

I actually like Fear Itself much much more now, and other than that obnoxious spinning post, I enjoy it and will try to "beat" that table too. I've beaten four Worthy on it so far.

• Options
    Cantido wrote: »
    I just beat my first Wizard Mode! On Infinity Gauntlet, no less. I got Mind legitimately and got Space via Half of the Universe, three Gauntlet Multiballs, and am sitting pretty on 350 Million. I finally beat Arctic at a table and I'm not done! I have two stacked Extra Balls and am on Ball 2, so continuing tomorrow will be like a second run. Lets see how high I can go!

I actually like Fear Itself much much more now, and other than that obnoxious spinning post, I enjoy it and will try to "beat" that table too. I've beaten four Worthy on it so far.

Just you wait until I get to give IG a fair run. I've only played the table twice so far, remember. ;P
    Still, kudos on a nice score all the same.

• Options
    Finally set a nice score on Planet Hulk. I acquired an absurd number of free balls as random awards, but it balanced out with the number of stupid ones I lost. Really, over 60% of my final score was acquired on my 2nd ball. The final mission is kind of 'meh', and I don't think any of the ones along the way are that interesting either. I don't foresee myself playing it much more any time soon.

Nice run indeed! I finally had a great game of WWH this morning, and I'm still 200 million plus away from you. I get your criticism: the missions really are more of the same "hit this flashing ramp, then this flashing ramp", and while I can't vouch for the final mission, as I've yet to beat The Thing, I'm doubtful that it's suddenly stellar.

I do like ramps and orbits, though. I can't believe it's taken me well over a week to get a feel for the table, but there it is.
    Cantido wrote: »

Welcome to the Pantheon. Our thrones made of silverball are over there. Have a seat. :D

• Options
    edited July 2012
    I'm giving The Infinity Gaunlet a rest, as I wanna see some more Wizard Modes out there. I've hardly touched World War Hulk even though I like it a lot. I've just been focused on Fear Itself for a while, because Thor is awesome.

I've done many modes in Fear Itself, and just topped the charts again. If I can just beat all the Worthy. I get lucky on Mokk and Nekkrid occasionally but Gengriar is damn near impossible.

Cantido on
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    So had a fun night with Pinball Arcade tonight. Hit the Billionaire Club on Bride of Pinbot. Figured I'd share here as the only other person who I can think of that would even know what I'm talking about would be my father. Upped some other high scores as well.

So when FX2 does come out for the PS3, any way I can compare my scores with you 360 folk? Or are the leaderboards platform specific for FX2?

And as far as Pinball Arcade goes, what's with top 10 scores for each table nearly always being (mobile)? I would think it would be harder to play on a mobile device.

• Options
    I don't know when PS3 players will get the hub, but sadly thre's not a chance in hell Sony and MS will share leaderboards. LIVE and Windows 8, maybe.

The third table (second Wizard Mode) I beat is Fantastic Four. Oh joy, I got to Shoot Galactus's floating head. I have it saved and incomplete. I suppose I should go finish, but...its the Fantastic Four table. :(