As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Video Pinball] Pinball FX 2 is on the Humble Bundle! Get it now!

• Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    Tesla for ZP and now ZP2 is not a great table, but it's an awesome theme. I'd like to see Zen follow it up with a multi-platform sequel in the same vein, Tesla vs. Edison!

Ms. Splosion Man is an awesome table, but 360 exclusive. Well worth it if you have a 360, even if you bought all your other Zen tables on the PS3.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    worst table in the set is probably Extreme. The fact that someone actually went and beat my high score on that table amazes me. Such a poor table for points. I can pretty much promise I'll never even try to take back the crown on that table.

Still need to pick up PvZ Table but with Borderlands 2 around the corner I'd really only play for a week before vanishing from pinball again for a bit.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I used to have nearly all the tables for the 360 before getting rid of it. We just picked up PvZ for the PS3 and while I'll admit it's a fairly easy table, especially to get multiball going, it's absolutely awesome for my 8 year old son. A lot of the tables we had before he couldn't really trigger off the cool features - this one lets him get multiball, fling watermelons, etc fairly easily which is great. We'll grab a few more tables in a few weeks but PvZ at the very least is a great gateway into pinball for kids that maybe aren't that familiar with seeing physical tables anymore.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I used to have nearly all the tables for the 360 before getting rid of it. We just picked up PvZ for the PS3 and while I'll admit it's a fairly easy table, especially to get multiball going, it's absolutely awesome for my 8 year old son. A lot of the tables we had before he couldn't really trigger off the cool features - this one lets him get multiball, fling watermelons, etc fairly easily which is great. We'll grab a few more tables in a few weeks but PvZ at the very least is a great gateway into pinball for kids that maybe aren't that familiar with seeing physical tables anymore.

You are a cool parent with excellent choice in selecting games for your kids. I once met a customer who loved the Virtual Console for her kids, I wanted to shake her hand. I finally got the table today. It's easy and laid back.

Somebody murder Tolkien so we can have a Silmarillion table.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    nathanaelnathanael Registered User regular
    I just went back to Pinball Arcade on my PS3 after spending a LOT of time with Zen 2. Crapparoo. Are the physics in Pinball Arcade really REALLY floaty, and I had just gotten used to them before, or has Zen 2 screwed me up with its arcadey pinball ways? It was almost unplayable on my first attempt back through Tales of the Arabian Nights.

This my Gamertag— NathanaelPM
    This is my PSN ID— Radthanael
  • Options
    CellorifficCelloriffic Registered User regular
    nathanael wrote: »
    I just went back to Pinball Arcade on my PS3 after spending a LOT of time with Zen 2. Crapparoo. Are the physics in Pinball Arcade really REALLY floaty, and I had just gotten used to them before, or has Zen 2 screwed me up with its arcadey pinball ways? It was almost unplayable on my first attempt back through Tales of the Arabian Nights.

Farsight issued a patch recently to fix some issues after the last update. :/ But yes, bouncing back and forth between Zen and Pinball Arcade is an exercise in adaptation.

XBOX LIVE GOLD MEMBERS: Interested in the original Marvel 4-pack? On sale for 400 MSPTS. Old hat? Never picked up the Avengers tables this spring/early summer? ALSO on sale for 400 MSPTS. (Captain America is half price too, by the by.)

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    How are the Avengers tables? Are they all solid?

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Worth 400 points. No Fear is great. Infinity Gauntlet is awesome. World War Hulk is alright, if a bit repetitive. The Avengers would be better if the left drain mechanism didn't backfire on you all the time.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Mulletude wrote: »
    How are the Avengers tables? Are they all solid?

All but Avengers. Avengers is bugged. But the rest are mindblowingly good you'd be crazy not to get the set.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Third recommendation here, and I'll echo ArcticLancer's thoughts. Fear Itself is my favorite. Infinity Gauntlet is crazy and brutal (to me, anyway). World War Hulk is solid, nothing spectacular. The Avengers is an interesting concept, but has a game-breaking flaw with the left feeder lane. 3 out of 4? Worth the buy.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    I had just found out about this, but there's a kickstarter going on now to do remastered versions of all the Pro Pinball tables and for working on a new table with Pat Lawlor. (He designed a bunch of classic real pinball tables like the Twilight Zone one and the Addams Family one.)

Can't link it due to stupid board rules, but there's a link in the info section of the kickstarter for a free download of the Big Race USA table.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    I can't resist getting the 4-pack. Just one more question: Are there plans to patch or fix the avengers table?

• Options
    I don't believe it's a 'bug' to be fixed. It's more an unfortunate 'feature'. I can't think of a general patch to PBFX2 since they patched the original Marvel tables to fix Wolverine.

• Options
    What exactly is the problem with the left feeder lane? I'm not all that great at pinball games (but I do love playing them) so I don't know if i'd even be able to spot the problem. As is, the table seems like a lot of fun.

• Options
    More than anything, that it exists. Yeah, there are some bounces that will make the ball head straight for that out-lane, and that's okay and tolerable. The problem is the one or two other shots (one ramp and orbit? I can't remember, it's been months) that are normal for the table, but for no real reason the ball will lose a little momentum, gain a little spin, or bump just a *little* differently sometimes, and it causes it to fail to roll over the gap, and you to lose your ball. You didn't really make a mistake - the physics just kind of add up just the right way. And that's really not fun, and fairly frustrating (especially when it's the single most common way you lose a ball on that table).

It's hard to gauge if their intention was to include this little extra 'danger'. If not, I can't fathom why they didn't make a flap that would pop up every time the ball rolled through that hard left lane, so that it would always come back. An alternate outlane/inlane setup is kind of interesting. What they gave us ... not quite as much ...

• Options
    So. Plants Vs. Zombies table. Anybody played it?

I love all 4 of the tables in the Avengers pack. Infinity Guantlet is bonkers. Especially when it flips the table upside down.

I was going back playing some in the last marvel pack and I have to say. I hate the Iron Man table. Dunno why. I can't seem to get a rythm going on that table.

• Options
    I love Iron Man, although it's an odd table in that it's easy to get carried away with pointless tasks. Making real progress involves focusing on specific aspects of the table. It's key to keep both kickbacks up and try to make unsafe shots (like the 2 drop targets) when you have a ball saver active. I've come depressingly close to beating that table twice, but I don't think it's ever meant to be.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

Yeah. It's fun but very easy. Will probably be your highest-scoring table.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    LaPuzzaLaPuzza Registered User regular
    So, if all I regularly play from WIlliams is MM, and I hate getting the disp to swap in, can I just get PA and the table and call it good?

I see in the reviews that it doesn't play as accurately as it should, which makes me sad, but the reviews aren't from pinball nerds.

• Options
    nathanaelnathanael Registered User regular

I love all 4 of the tables in the Avengers pack. Infinity Guantlet is bonkers. Especially when it flips the table upside down.

I was going back playing some in the last marvel pack and I have to say. I hate the Iron Man table. Dunno why. I can't seem to get a rythm going on that table.

My wife loves it when Infinity Gauntlet flips upside down, because I immediately dive on to the floor to view it correctly, and flip the controller in my hand so that as little changes as possible.

This my Gamertag— NathanaelPM
    This is my PSN ID— Radthanael
  • Options
    MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    I just picked up this Avengers four pack because after the one free 'Paranormal' table I realized how hella good this game is. That, and I love pinball. So I just plastered Gamweasels scores on two tables and he was the highest on my friends list. Anyone up for some pinball challenges? I'm not sure how they organize tourneys in this, either.

Also, love the base movie Avengers table...I didn't notice that physics bug on it either, but I doubt I could outright tell. Still made around 35 mil on it, so it didn't hurt too much if it's still there.

3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    Sharp10rSharp10r Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    So glad I found this thread. I was playing War Pinball for about a year, and recently started PA. I'm not a true pinball nerd, so I don't notice things like bad physics (does that make you jealous?) MM is my favorite board, and I'm working on my wizard goals but MAN are they hard. What are your MM strategies? I've been starting with 2 castle kills to get an extra ball, then moving to ramps trying to get royal madness (one of the wizard goals).
    Can't wait for ST:TNG- I kickstarted it!
    Edit: MM high: 83,418,680

Sharp10r on
  • Options
    Any wise words on how to hit the Catapult in Medieval Madness? I can't find the sweet spot on a controlled shot, and I'm always 2 catapults away from Royal Madness.

• Options
    cpugeek13cpugeek13 Registered User regular
    So, I've started to get into some pinball games recently. I'm not really a hardcore pinballer by any means (played em when I was a kid), so I didn't really know what to expect. DLed Pinball Arcade and Zen Pinball onto my ipad and bought a couple tables (Arabian Nights, Funhouse, Cirqus Voltaire, Black Hole, Epic Quest). So far, I'm liking PA a bit better than Zen. Zen has a much better presentation and interface, but I think PA feels more like a real table, whereas Zen feels like a video game.

I was hoping you guys could give me some good table recommendations. So far, I've probably spent the most time playing Arabian Nights and Cirqus Voltaire.

• Options
    Medieval Madness on PA is my favorite. There is so much to do on the board and it has pop up trolls, an exploding castle etc. give it a shot. It's fun to mess around with, but it's even better once you learn all th goals.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    cpugeek13 wrote: »
    So, I've started to get into some pinball games recently. I'm not really a hardcore pinballer by any means (played em when I was a kid), so I didn't really know what to expect. DLed Pinball Arcade and Zen Pinball onto my ipad and bought a couple tables (Arabian Nights, Funhouse, Cirqus Voltaire, Black Hole, Epic Quest). So far, I'm liking PA a bit better than Zen. Zen has a much better presentation and interface, but I think PA feels more like a real table, whereas Zen feels like a video game.

I was hoping you guys could give me some good table recommendations. So far, I've probably spent the most time playing Arabian Nights and Cirqus Voltaire.

I really like The Machine, but I'm weird.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    zen announced a marvel civil war table. no release date yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHUvunj5XCg

• Options
    That looks nice. I'd actually be inclined to pick it up.
    (I wish I thought to put time into Zen Pinball these days. I feel bad for not having played the Avengers tables long enough)

• Options
    iMattiMatt Registered User regular
    cpugeek13 wrote: »

The table that basically made me fall in love with pinball was theatre of magic. Lot's of stuff going on, yet simple and easy to follow rules / goals. It's a generous table too with the scores so you feel like you're making progress all the time (1.5 billion is my high score!), I also think that the graphics in pinball arcade are getting worse (the monster bash table looks awful compared to the real thing IMO) however theatre looks lovely and looks like the real deal! For zen pinball I can't get enough of earth defense!

• Options
    cpugeek13cpugeek13 Registered User regular
    Thanks for the suggestions! I picked up theatre of magic and am really enjoying it. I tried medieval madness, but it just didn't hook me as much, though ill give it another shot in the future.

• Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    Medival Madness is a table that at first can be quit frustrating because of how fast you can get the ball going. Once you get used to it though it becomes a joy to play. Cirqus Voltaire however has cuased me nothing but frustration. I have yet to have any fun with that table in any way.

• Options
    I think my love for MM comes from it reminding me of how nintendo games used to feel. Work SO hard to finish the game- run out of lives on a cheap shot. Now I have to start over from scratch. High highs and FRUSTRATINGLY low lows. Like Tony Horton's Ab Ripper X: "I hate it, but I love it."

• Options
    AnakinOUAnakinOU Registered User regular
    So...Pinball FX 2 is now on PC. Well, sort of. It's supposedly on the Windows 8 marketplace.

Which leaves me torn. I wasn't even thinking about "upgrading" to Windows 8. But...but...pinball...

• Options
    Medieval Madness question: I'm going for 4 ball multiball. If I activate multiball early when I only lit 2 or so, does that mean its impossible that game?

• Options
    Forgive me, pinball thread (and forums, in general). I've been away on Pandora. But as I'm closing in on playthrough 4 of Borderlands 2, I got the pinball itch again.

I'll start with Plants vs Zombies: I regret it. It's a fine choice for kids/beginners, but it's very easy. 3 games played total, none shorter than 45 minutes. I don't have the time or patience for that right now.
    Sharp10r wrote: »
    Medieval Madness question: I'm going for 4 ball multiball. If I activate multiball early when I only lit 2 or so, does that mean its impossible that game?

Impossible? No. But I believe you do have to start Royal Madness before you can retrigger multiball madness, so just "really hard". not impossible.
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    I really like The Machine, but I'm weird.

You and me both. I actually could not stop the last game I played on it. I was going to the Borderlands 2 midnight launch, and with 2 hours to go, figured "Hey, Bride of Pinbot, why not?"

I had to leave it paused when I finally left to buy BL2, and didn't get to start BL2 until around 1:30.

BILLIONS.

Oh, bad news for 360 Pinball Arcade owners: You know how iOS and Android are on like, table pack 7, and PS3 just got table pack 5, and you're stuck on pack 3? Oops. Our publisher is bankrupt.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    @Cellorific, I did see that they're currently figuring out the Xbox situation and seemed pretty positive about it.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    That's nothing. The 3DS has four tables of Zen and four of Marvel.

• Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Pinball Arcade's beach house is largely due to my wallet. I am weak.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    the zen pinball version of fantastic four is up on the ps3 store finally. also the civil war table is out next week.

• Options
    edited November 2012
    86,307,880 in MM! I also got my 4 ball multiball which is what I was going for! Worst part: a FB notification caused lag and sunk an extra ball. I need to start using DND.

Sharp10r on