As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Unity3D On] We make games, not engines, ITT (NSF 56K)

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So last night, I thought of an interesting way to make 2D games in Unity.

Now the most obvious way is to have an orthographic camera, give a near plane of 0.0 and a far plane of 1.0, and then sticking a plane in front of that camera where you draw all the sprites. You can then use a sprite manager to move the sprites around, scroll the background, whatever. This would work exceptionally well for bullet schmups, for instance.

But what about something like Metroid, where the map is a giant series of rooms or corridors? Wouldn't it be much cooler to design the entire map in the Unity tools, rather than an image editor. To do this, you could design the entire map, in the Unity editor, as a giant set of texture quads. You would layout the map just like it exists in game, then attach your orthographic camera to the character sprites. As your character sprite moves through out the level, it's truly moving in the 2D world and the camera is following it, moving around your big 2D world. It's basically exactly how you would build a 3D game, only you are removing the Z axis from the equation.

I'm working on prototyping the concept now.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    ProtoSoundProtoSound Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So going to look into this. I've been wanting to create something for a while now and now is as good a time as any.

ProtoSound on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Downloaded this a few days ago after a friend recommended it. I'm quite far from being able to anything with it since my knowledge of programming was uh, Turbo Pascal a very long time ago in highschool... but I'll dig up some tutorials and perhaps teach myself some things.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    So I learned something cool last night. How to keep an object and it's state intact between scene loads. Why is this cool or useful? Because in any advanced game, you're going to need some kind of game wide state. This could be the players inventory, their stats, what bosses have been killed. Any number of things.

To do this, you need to create an empty game object (I called mine "GameState"), and attach a small component script like the following:

C#
    public class GameState : MonoBehaviour {
        void Awake() {
            Object.DontDestroyOnLoad(this.gameObject);
        }
    }

Now, every scene that has a GameState object with this GameState component attached to it will be transient, meaning it will hold it's data between scene loads.

I've extended my GameState class as such:
    public class GameState : MonoBehaviour {
        void Awake() {
            Object.DontDestroyOnLoad(this.GameObject);
        }

public static GameState Current {
             get {
                 GameObject state = GameObject.Find("GameState");
                 return state.GetComponent<GameState>();
             }
        }
    }

This allows me to access my current game state from any other script by doing: GameState.Current. I've then attached sub-objects to the GameState, such as a Player object that keeps track of the players inventory. Thus in any script, I can do: GameState.Current.Player.Inventory, to get the players inventory.

This lends itself well to saving your game as well, as it should simply be a matter of serializing out the current GameState, then deserializing it at load time.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    If you want training and info on how to get started, I recommend 3DBuzz.

Basically an entire site dedicated to 3D graphics and game engines including Unity. The tutorials are usually insightful and funny as well as educational.

3D BUZZ UNITY TUTORIAL

It will feature a guide on making a basic shooter and a 3D platformer (tomb raider style).

Due pretty soon.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I took a 9 month course in programing (VB, C/C++, Java) and I feel that I'm learning concepts better in the first 30 minutes of this Hyperion tutorial on 3D Buzz. That's sad.

I took those classes in 1997. Thank god the C/C++ teacher decided that programing for Windows was bloated and inefficient and therefore not fit to be taught. :P

TL;DR - Thanks for linking to 3D Buzz.

Fawst on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    So I know some of you have downloaded this and started to play with it. Any thoughts so far?

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I just tried to download this and all it does is take me back to the download page, am I missing something?

EDIT: Pretty damn weird, downloading fine with IE. It doesn't even try to create any cookies with Firefox. (I have cookie prompting enabled on Firefox and IE)

Never mind.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    GrimReaper wrote: »
    I just tried to download this and all it does is take me back to the download page, am I missing something?

Go here: https://store.unity3d.com/shop/

Select Unity (it should list as free), then hit proceed. That should guide you through it. I just tried it, and I got to the download link fine and the file started downloading.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    GrimReaper wrote: »

Go here: https://store.unity3d.com/shop/

Select Unity (it should list as free), then hit proceed. That should guide you through it. I just tried it, and I got to the download link fine and the file started downloading.

It's fine, installing it now. It was adblock messing with me.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    What are some good tutorial videos for this? Kinda lost.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I've been wanting to get into Unity. I listened to a podcast where their lead evangelist talked about everything it can do, and it sounds really awesome.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Unity is pretty neat. They have a really compelling business model- in the grand scheme of things, $1500 is not that much for an engine with Unity Pro's feature set- plus you can do 90% of your development before you spend a dime.

I've been kicking around some ideas for iPhone games for awhile now. I could roll my own engine (again) but Unity offers something that a homebrewed engine doesn't- the abiltiy to go cross-platform. Anyone know how big / lucrative the Android market is? It might be worth shelling out some cash if I could potentially launch on both the App Store and Android Market.

zilo on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    There isn't much it can't do, honestly. I wish I had the money to get a Pro license, because I'd love to play with the deferred rendering pipeline.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    zilo wrote: »
    Unity is pretty neat. They have a really compelling business model- in the grand scheme of things, $1500 is not that much for an engine with Unity Pro's feature set- plus you can do 90% of your development before you spend a dime.

I've been kicking around some ideas for iPhone games for awhile now. I could roll my own engine (again) but Unity offers something that a homebrewed engine doesn't- the abiltiy to go cross-platform. Anyone know how big / lucrative the Android market is? It might be worth shelling out some cash if I could potentially launch on both the App Store and Android Market.

Android's game market isn't up to snuff with the iPhone App Store yet, but, it's a huge ready to tap market. Really all it needs is it's first killer app (e.g. God Finger or Angry Bird's) and the person that makes that first killer app is going to be very rich.

The beauty of going Unity of course is that you can develop for the iPhone first, and when the market opens up on Android, just buy the Unity addon and compile and tweak your game. If it runs on the iPhone, it should run on most Android Phones, so the amount of worked needed to port should be very minimal.

Where multi-platform gets interesting, even for Unity, is when you want to release on iPhone and say, PC. The quality of art asset you are going to want for the PC version is likely to be much higher. Also, you are dealing with completely different screen resolutions. That said, Unity has per-platform build settings and compiler pre-defines to let you maintain one Unity project for completely disparate platforms.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Hmm. Apparently the iOS Pro license, which is required to do most of the good stuff Unity Pro lets you do (render to texture, occlusion culling, external version control support, deferred rendering) costs $1500 on top of the cost of the Pro license. Plus Android support is yet another $1500. That's kind of a bummer as it's approximately 1000 times the money I'd expect to make from the project.

If it were just $1500 for the pro license plus $400 for iOS/Android support, I could probably make that happen. $3000-$4500 is a bit much though. In the long run it's probably better than UDK's royalty-based structure but still out of reach for a one-person shop with student loans and a mortgage.

Oh well, at least the free version will be useful for prototyping! And $1500 is a steal for the PC engine.

zilo on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Woh, that's a very recent change. It used to be 1500 + 500 + 500.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Okay good, so I'm not going senile. That was what I remembered the pricing as when I first checked it out awhile back, but when I went to their Store page to check it out I found the new pricing.

I wonder if there's somebody I could write to ask what's up with that.

edit: there is! I fired off an email to their sales department.

zilo on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    zilo wrote: »
    Okay good, so I'm not going senile. That was what I remembered the pricing as when I first checked it out awhile back, but when I went to their Store page to check it out I found the new pricing.

I wonder if there's somebody I could write to ask what's up with that.

edit: there is! I fired off an email to their sales department.

Yah, that had to be in the last two weeks, because I remember it being 1500 + 500 + 500 up until very recently.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Working my way through the platforming tutorial.

Seems like a pretty well made engine.

Wondering how well it can dynamically generate content that you don't explicitly drag-and-drop into a scene in advance, but I assume that it could handle that with some scripting.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Yes sir, it can. Part of my current game project, I needed to project a mesh correct decal on the terrain. The mesh that the decal is laid over has to be created dynamically, and I do that completely in script. I can explain how if you're ever curious.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    kedinik wrote: »
    Working my way through the platforming tutorial.

Seems like a pretty well made engine.

Wondering how well it can dynamically generate content that you don't explicitly drag-and-drop into a scene in advance, but I assume that it could handle that with some scripting.

I think the trick to that is prefabs. Prefabs are civilization. If you wanted to have an enemy spawner that spit out a new goblin or whatever every 20 seconds you would place an object with a script that waits 20 seconds, then calls Instantiate(prefab_name, position, rotation).

I hear the Instantiate call is slow on iOS but even then you can just batch up a few objects when your level loads and warp them around when you need them.

zilo on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    It looks like Unit 3.1 is out, for anyone that didn't DL it in the last few days.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I heard back from the Unity sales folks today:
    Hi there,

Thanks very much for your email.

Sorry, we do not have any other pricing models set, but thanks for the feedback.

Cheers,

Bummer.

zilo on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    They added a new thing called the Asset Store. It's built in to the editor, and you can buy pre-made assets and premium components, which is kind of cool.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I wish I had more time on my hands. I barely have enough to play the games i want to, so I haven't really looked at this for more than a few minutes.

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I wish I had more time on my hands. I barely have enough to play the games i want to, so I haven't really looked at this for more than a few minutes.

Yeah. And making games is work. Especially so if you have the attention span of a gnat.

I had almost gotten my simple shump playable when it suddenly occurred to me that a 2D megaman-style demake of Portal would be amazing. I got the basic platform movement together before realizing how long an actual game would take.

My massive projects folder is ever so slightly depressing. I think maybe two of them have any gameplay at all. I do have a few sweet engines, though. :lol:

Frem on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Anyone still working with Unity?

I've been playing with it for a couple of weeks, mostly going through tutorials (3DBuzz and some over at www.burgzergarcade.com).

First caught my eye because I wandered over to 3DBuzz and saw that they were having a class for making an MMO using it. I've been impressed at how easy it is to put a game together. Outside of the tutorials I've spent maybe an hour and a half and have an almost-finished Break Out - type game, and most of that time was figuring out physics/collisions. Pac-Man is probably next on my list.

I think my favorite feature over other engines I have looked at is how easy it is to prototype/test things since you can play the game in the editor and even alter things while it is running*, which can make testing things out insanely efficient.
    The changes aren't saved, but when you are trying to figure out the perfect movement speed for your player it's very helpful for testing.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Yep, I still play with Unity when I have time. I am still slowly, but surely, putting a game together with it.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm still holding out for a non-Pro version of their Android support

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I doubt that will ever happen. From what I hear, iPhone support is one of their big cash cows and they expect Android to be the same at some point.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I doubt that will ever happen. From what I hear, iPhone support is one of their big cash cows and they expect Android to be the same at some point.

Well their website says it is coming, and there is a non-Pro version of their iOS stuff.

It'd still cost something, but not as much

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Wait wait, this uses C# as the scripting language? I'm assuming this is of no significance when it comes to porting the game to other platforms such as iOS/Android?

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Airan wrote: »
    Wait wait, this uses C# as the scripting language? I'm assuming this is of no significance when it comes to porting the game to other platforms such as iOS/Android?

C#, Javascript, Boo. Don't know the specifics, but I imagine it compiles to be iOS compatible.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Airan wrote: »

It uses the Mono CLR as the engine; C#, UnityScript, and Boo are all converted into bytecode first.

Frem on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Any update on your guys's projects? I just downloaded it and am checking it out.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    *casts Scrolls of Resurrection on the Unity thread*

So after basically a year of just farting around with Unity, I am ready to get down to the business of actually making a game. I've already started on the game engine code, and I've laid out a basic test level to start testing features as I add them.

I really love the shit out of Unity. Even as a non-artist, it's really amazing how fast I was able to get a small terrain area, with a building and some basic objects to interact with in the world. The speed I was able to get a prototype scene up has really let me focus on getting the first features in place and expanding from there.

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    This is a better place then the XNA thread I originally posted it in.

From Reddit, Unity3D is giving away their basic iOS/Android versions until April 8.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    Yeah, I grabbed those, just to have them :P I am focusing on PC right now, but who knows in the future.

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    I started playing around a little with Unity. I need to run through some tutorials before I have any idea how to really use it, but what I've seen it looks like a pretty nice toolkit.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)