As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's Vegas, Baby!

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Ashcroft wrote: »
    Dubh wrote: »
    Marksman is unarguably the most power offensive skill in Oblivion. What's this I hear about suicide?

Your opponents always just charge you in Oblivion, so if you were facing multiple guys, someone was getting close enough for your bow and no shield set up to be useless.

You retreat to the most open space and use your superior speed and maneuverability to destroy any number of people

at 75 marksman your shot knock people over on a very frequent basis

at 100, an additional chance to paralyze for one second- which knocks a dude over

if you're trying to use a bow like a sword, of course it isn't going to work

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Fine then call the magic "psionics" and do something similar, but different

And punching people in the face would still be the prime means of dealing damage

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    ThreadbareSockThreadbareSock Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    jwalk wrote: »
    Well they need VATS or some other target lock-on for ranged attacks, too easy to miss with the twitchy movement in this engine.

I mean, you don't get shotguns or machine guns to just spray down rooms with... :p

With my mage I had to make every spell start with a "knockdown" component or it was just hopeless to ever hit anything.

Movement in their games isn't twitchy, its somewhat unresponsive and laggy. It might be twitchy in the sense that you try to track something moving and over-respond/under-respond because you aren't getting good input feedback. Its a result of using prerendered frames to increase frame rate, but it means you have to wait several frames to see your input do anything.

You can turn this off, or lower it to something less derpy.
    /edit if you have the PC version

ThreadbareSock on
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Edcrab wrote: »
    I hope Bethesda learns some lessons from Fallout 3

I can't put my finger on it, but Oblivion felt so much more soulless and less fulfilling than Fallout 3 did

You know, I'd been trying to think of a way to describe Oblivion, and that pretty much nails it exactly.

godmode on
  • Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Nah, more like the enemies just flick around the screen like fleas. Especially smaller more agile ones, even human/humanoids. Good luck hitting them if you aren't a FPS supergod high on 20 bottles of Red Bull and coffee.

Like cazadors.. fffffffffffffffff

jwalk on
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I must be a god because I can hit Cazadors from a good distance.

Even with the gauss rifle.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    VATS and wing shots made cazadores a helluva lot less scary

Radscorpions and Deathclaws are pretty much the only things that manage to catch me out these days

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yep sure, but in TES shooting a fireball isn't instant-hit (hitscan) it actually takes time to get to the target.. good luck doing that unless the target is right on top of you (or isn't moving..)

jwalk on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    so I just got to nipton

welp

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    what did you do about it, Pip.

Depressperado on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    nothing lived but me and ed-e

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Ashcroft wrote: »
    Marksman is unarguably the most power offensive skill in Oblivion. What's this I hear about suicide?

Your opponents always just charge you in Oblivion, so if you were facing multiple guys, someone was getting close enough for your bow and no shield set up to be useless.

You retreat to the most open space and use your superior speed and maneuverability to destroy any number of people

at 75 marksman your shot knock people over on a very frequent basis

at 100, an additional chance to paralyze for one second- which knocks a dude over

if you're trying to use a bow like a sword, of course it isn't going to work

This would be great if you started at 75 marksman and every fight was in an open area. Good luck levelling an archer only guy without getting your face hacked off every other battle. The game's simply too reliant on melee and hand to hand, they make archery almost pointless.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    That'll do, Pip, that'll do.

edit: I got hella mileage out of a bow and arrow when I was a thief/assassin. admittedly, I wasn't ranged only, but I could do some ridiculous damage with a sneak attack and then some poisoned arrows before they even got up to me.

Depressperado on
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm sorry that you're so bad at video games that you couldn't successfully play an archer in oblivion 8-)

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    PiptheFair wrote: »

How did you kill Boxcars?

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited November 2010
    Weapons in Oblivion are a mechanism to deliver poison. Marksman is the most efficient way of delivering poison. Marksmen is the most effective weapon skill. QED.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Macro9 wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »

How did you kill Boxcars?

oh wait, that dude can hobble his crippled ass wherever he wants

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Weapons in Oblivion are a mechanism to deliver poison. Marksman is the most efficient way of delivering poison. Marksmen is the most effective weapon skill. QED.

you can't decapitate dudes with poison

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I pretty much had to off him. After the intro he gave me, anything less would have been lettin' the side down.

Depressperado on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Tube knows what's up.

Also if you focus on Marksman you should roll with Illusion too. It can be crazy useful.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    You can't decapitate dudes in Oblivion at all.

Tube on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic let you do that.

That was a cool game.

I say all games should have dismemberment and decapitation.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Macro9 wrote: »
    Tube knows what's up.

Also if you focus on Marksman you should roll with Illusion too. It can be crazy useful.

"I want to kill you!" "No you don't" "You're right I don't! See you around!"

Almost every skill in Oblivion was useful to some degree and almost every playstyle was valid. It was a well thought out system.

Tube on
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    boxcars continued to mouth off to me even after I saved his life by giving him the med-x he needed

so you know what, boxcars
    fuck you
    have a bullet for free

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

No, sorry, the correct weapon skill is any that gives a knock down perk so that you can bump people and monsters off of high cliffs, ledges, bridges, windows, &c.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Uriel wrote: »

That was a cool game.

I reinstall and play that game on a regular basis. It's kind of dumb, story-wise, but oh my god the combat and the platforming parts are just so fun.

Depressperado on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

No, sorry, the correct weapon skill is any that gives a knock down perk so that you can bump people and monsters off of high cliffs, ledges, bridges, windows, &c.

...IE marksman.

Tube on
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

That was a cool game.

No, just like Oblivion, the appropriate way to fight people in Dark Messiah was to knock them off of every cliff in the game.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

That was a cool game.

I reinstall and play that game on a regular basis. It's kind of dumb, story-wise, but oh my god the combat and the platforming parts are just so fun.

I haven't in a while because my internet doesn't like steam and games take like a night to download.

But I will again soon, it's so satisfying.

I remember finding this nice magic sword in the well, I used it til the game takes away your stuff.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    alternatively, light them on fire or ice the ground under them so they slip onto a conveniently placed spike grate or sneak up close and do that totally brutal dagger stealth kill

edit: or throw an oil jar and when they walk over the slick hit it with a little fire dart thing and they just go WHOOMP

Depressperado on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I remember the bit from the demo with the arrows and orcs.

Such a great section.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I played that demo for like a week straight.

Depressperado on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Pretty good demo, Ienjoyed it a few times.

Only part of the game I didn't like was the catacombs with the respawning monsters.

I also enjoyed Vampire bloodlines.

I don't have it anymore though lost the disks.

I played it twice once as a Malkavian and once a brujah.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    the catacombs at the end of the game? or the ones where you need to get all those gems for that spider statue? both of those kinda bothered me.

if the whole game had been carousing through Stonehelm or whatever that city was called, I woulda been a happy man.

Depressperado on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

That was a cool game.

No, just like Oblivion, the appropriate way to fight people in Dark Messiah was to knock them off of every cliff in the game.

Kicking people off ledges or into spikes was highly effective but Dark Messiah's combat was just so goddamned fun that I'd often reload and play in a non-efficient way just to chop off heads and suchlike

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010

I would always imagine I would :(

also, the best way is to use paralysis magic and shove people down stairs

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I always wanted to do a 1 second paralysis with a big AOE and call it stun grenade

Tube on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I modded in a dagger that paralyzed people, and just had the most fun like, paralyzing them, and then engineering the means of their death via log traps or something.

Depressperado on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I always wanted to do a 1 second paralysis with a big AOE and call it stun grenade

just train a bunch of dudes on you up the stairs and WOOPS

charles xavier them

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

I basically did that with a touch range. Whenever I get swarmed, drop one of those, let the bodies hit the floor (terrible), and jump out firing my bow. Turned the fights stupid in MY favor.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
This discussion has been closed.