As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Star Trek - The Beginning of the Borg

• Options
    Rudolph LingensRudolph Lingens Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The Borg were perfect for about two episodes. It was when Locutus showed up that the writers began compromising the idea of a fundamentally different form of life, one that simply couldn't be appealed to.

Rudolph Lingens on
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Locutus was fine because he was a splinter group
    I can understand Borg changing in ways as a result of their contact with humanity
    But fundamentally changing what they always were is just bullshit

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    am I the only person who wants to punch Barclay in the face all the time

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    am I the only person who wants to punch Barclay in the face all the time

No, that is the point of that character.

sarukun on
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I hate barclay episodes

Al_wat on
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    man what

barclay is great

haters gonna hate

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Barclay is a personification of the Star Trek fan.

A ship full of ballers? How the fuck are nerds supposed to identify with that shit?

sarukun on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    "I wish I could live on the Enterprise."

Well, now we got THIS guy living there so you don't have to!

See, it would be just as bad, because you're terrible!!

sarukun on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    he escapes into fantasy in my escape into fantasy! it's distracting!

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    If I lived in the Star Trek universe I would spend all my time in the holodeck pretending I was in the Star Wars universe

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    BusterK wrote: »
    If I lived in the Star Trek universe I would spend all my time in the holodeck pretending I was in the Star Wars universe

yeah me too

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    ThreadbareSockThreadbareSock Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    ThreadbareSock on
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    If I lived in the Star Trek universe I would spend all my time in the holodeck pretending I was in the Star Wars universe pretending I was in the Babylon 5 universe playing 40k tabletop with Susan Ivonova

yeah me too

Weaver on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Listen the holodeck is basically a gigantic masturbatory aid and everyone knows it

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    two holodecks connected by a stable wormhole

Weaver on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Was there ever a mad AI plugged into a holodeck/replicator who comes to rule the universe seeing as that technology can do pretty much goddamned anything

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    like 5 times

Weaver on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Locutus was fine because he was a splinter group
    I can understand Borg changing in ways as a result of their contact with humanity
    But fundamentally changing what they always were is just bullshit

I thought it was an experiment by the queen?

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    MaceraMacera UGH GODDAMMIT STOP ENJOYING THINGSRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    god the idea of the borg queen was so fucking stupid

Macera on
    xet8c.gif
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, pretty much. Undermines the entire point of the borg to have her personality and goals be so humanistic!

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2010
    Edcrab wrote: »
    Was there ever a mad AI plugged into a holodeck/replicator who comes to rule the universe seeing as that technology can do pretty much goddamned anything

Professor Moriarty

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The Geek wrote: »

Professor Moriarty

You know, they could have made the computer make a hologram that can solve every episode's problem. they must be stupid.

Melding on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2010
    I liked how in the opening scene of the first Enterprise mirror universe episode, the just do the part at the end of First Contact where the Vulcan comes down and meets Zephram Cochrane, except when Zephram is about to offer his hand for a handshake, he instead reaches for a gun and just shoots the Vulcan and takes his ship.

i just went and hunted this down

the title sequence was great but the rest of it was just tedious

everyone made shouty voices at all times

i was tired of hearing christian bale impressions so i turned it off

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I am watching Season 1 of TNG

Riker is on a world filled with dominate women and he does not have his beard yet. Things are all wrong. If he had his beard he would totally ruin the status-quo.

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    As7As7 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Didn't holograms actually save one or two of the ships a couple times.

Like they used them to fight off boarding parties or something?

As7 on
    XBOX Live: Arsenic7
    Secret Satan
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    a watched the new star trek movie again tonight

it is thoroughly enjoyable.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Melding wrote: »

Professor Moriarty

You know, they could have made the computer make a hologram that can solve every episode's problem. they must be stupid.

Once you start down that path of thought you quickly get to the point where you realize that literally everything would have to be done by the super intelligent ships computer in the Trek universe.

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Melding wrote: »

Professor Moriarty

Once you start down that path of thought you quickly get to the point where you realize that literally everything would have to be done by the super intelligent ships computer in the Trek universe.

Or just plug Barclay into the computer. That gets things moving.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    As7 wrote: »

I remember reading in the Star Trek: Bridge Commander manual that sovereign class starships had holographic emitters on multiple decks to defend against boarding parties.

In hindsight, this would make the Klingons even angrier after they boarded such a ship.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

Professor Moriarty

yeah except he ended up just loaded on to a damn flash drive for all of fucking eternity

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I could never understand why the concept of using the holodeck to play a game or follow a narrative where they got to make choices and the outcome wasn't predetermined seemed like an alien concept to them. All they ever wanted to do was re-enactments. I think the holodeck itself had the right idea to malfunction otherwise it would have been really fucking boring.

BusterK on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Peen wrote: »
    Hey I remember that The Geek, I thought it was pretty cool, which was rare because everything that happened after TNG ruined the Borg completely.

There was one episode in the first or second season that many people took to be hints and Borg-type stuff where they run across this amazing unmanned ship-repair station out in space and hey, it can't be bad since it's just sitting out here without any explanation and it fixed us up real good but hey, one of our crew died in some freak accident, oh but wait he's not actually dead, the repair station stole him and faked his death and strapped him into the station all matrix/borg style and started sucking his life juices to power the station along with some other bodies that are just hanging there.

Then they win and escape, but right before the end credits, the station starts kinda reconfiguring itself and acting on its own like it's gonna go do something but nope, we never see it again, thanks Berman and Braga.

Wasn't that the federation's first encounter with replicator technology?

I remember that the station could conjure up stuff just like a replicator, and the crew were blown away by this.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Dead_Stop_(episode)
    This episode also shows taken-for-granted Federation technologies: food replicator, medical regenerator.
    Speculation that the repair station is somehow a precursor to the Borg is incorrect due to the timeframe of the Borg established in other Star Trek episodes (see The Origin of the Borg for details). Nonetheless, the similarity between the two (replicating automata that abduct members of sentient species to form a collective) is notable.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    As7 wrote: »

I remember reading in the Star Trek: Bridge Commander manual that sovereign class starships had holographic emitters on multiple decks to defend against boarding parties.

I wonder if they could ever mix up bridge holograms with custom holodeck programs.

In the middle of a borg invasion, the captain shouts FIRE UP THE DEFENSE HOLOGRAMS, and a bunch of Treevises and Flotters show up.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Now I'm imagining a bunch of Doctor holograms appearing in the middle of a firefight and getting flustered.

Peen on
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Has anyone taken a look at this yet?

USS_Enterprise_Owners_Workshop_Manual_cover.jpg

I flipped through it during my last visit to a bookstore. It's not bad though the Enterprise-C gets the shortest chapter in the whole book. It seems to use some of the continuity established in novels too what with the Enterprise-B listed as being missing in action.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Oh man. I spent so much time with this as a 10 year old, I would be ashamed but here we're all neeeeeeeds
    292px-Star_Trek_The_Next_Generation_Technical_Manual.jpg

Peen on
  • Options
    HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I was going to complain about how Paris was just Nicholas Locarno from the TNG episode "The First Duty" where he covered up a shuttle accident, but then I wiki'd it to focus my rage. If you don't know, it was the same actor playing basically the same character who got in big trouble. They said they decided not to use the exact character of Locarno because he was "unapologetic" and "irredeemable", but I think that was just their way of saying "We don't feel like creating real character development where this person goes from being untrusted and detestable to trustworthy and likable. We'd rather go from 'He's not so bad' to 'He's alright.'"

Instead of seeking him out in Voyager Ep 1, they should have made him end up on the ship, possibly due to a prisoner transfer, and end up stuck with his superior flying skills, rather than some "Wanna be pardoned? THEN LETS HAVE AN ADVENTURE."

That said, I grew up with TNG, DS9 and VOY. I liked all of TNG from season 2, all of DS9 except for the mirror universe bullcrap, and I liked Voyager when it wasn't too off the wall. (Macrovirus.)

I liked William Shatner in Twilight Zone, he was great. I strongly dislike TOS, however. I don't care for the new movie, either. It just seemed like it was a regular sci-fi action movie with "Hey, remember this" every 5 minutes.

I've never seen much Enterprise, but the gritty, sweaty dystopian space adventure never appealed to me. And the Vulcan woman seemed at first glance to just be a big-titted lonely nerd magnet.

As for the movies, I didn't over-analyze them, but I think I liked every TNG movie except Insurrection, but I saw them through a fan's eyes and I haven't really watched them since. I found the seamless transition between B4 and "Countdown" Data to be too much of a leap, however. (If you don't know, Countdown is a comic book that links Nemesis and the new Star Trek.)

I guess that's all for me to say about Star Trek, except that Patrick Stewart and Jonathan Frakes are the coolest guys ever. Brent Spiner seems kinda douchy to me. And we all practically know Wil Wheaton personally, so I think he can be safely excluded from mention in the Star Trek universe. He's more PAX than Star Trek now.

HugmasterGeneral on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    They didn't name him Nicholas Locarno because they would have had to pay the writers of that episode royalties.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2010
    Wasn't there one year at E3 or ComiCon when Kurtz and Gabe and Tycho went into a bar together and it just so happened that Jonathan Frakes and Avery Brooks were there drinking, playing the piano, and singing?

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB