As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Xbox 360 - an assortment of tech problems

2»

• Options
    DesertBoxDesertBox Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So I just called customer service cos I got the three red lights, went through the whole trouble-shooting dance, didn't work, get some foreign sounding agent. He was very nice. Said I needed to send it in (no duh). However, he said I should call back April 5 cos otherwise I would have to pay for shipping. He said that was when "Microsoft starts the deal where they pay for shipping." Huh? Did you guys have to pay to ship it to Texas? I thought MS had always paid for shipping.

I mean I'm gonna wait. I'm not gonna pay $$ to get my 360 back a week earlier. I bought it in June so its not like they're trying to trick into letting the warranty run out.

DesertBox on
  • Options
    mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I got my 360 replaced, and I had to pay for shipping. (By the way, it works perfectly now. I've fallen in love with my 360 all over again.)

I was told that if your 360 dies within the first 90 days (or whatever the warranty period was before it was extended to one year) they will pay for shipping. Outside that range, the user has to pay for shipping.

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    MarlorMarlor Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Hmmm... I've been considering whether to get the extended warranty for my new 360. After all these reports of trouble, I think I will.

I can't really justify the price of the 2-year warranty extension (AU$180), but I think I'll take up the 1-year extension (AU$90).

It's bit sad that the extended warranty is a required cost these days. Consoles used to be almost indestructible (my NES is still going strong).

Marlor on
    Mario Kart Wii: 1332-8060-5236 (Aaron)
  • Options
    DesertBoxDesertBox Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    This might be wishful thinking but, does the warranty reset once I get my 360 back? ie. Does my year of coverage begin again when I get it back or is it still set to expire in June?

DesertBox on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    DesertBox wrote: »
    This might be wishful thinking but, does the warranty reset once I get my 360 back? ie. Does my year of coverage begin again when I get it back or is it still set to expire in June?

Usually it doesn't reset. Some companies (e.g. Nintendo) have been known to reset warranties, but it's generally not done.

Marlor on
  • Options
    CalvengeanceCalvengeance regular
    edited March 2007
    Remember the good ol' days when you could practically play your system underwater?

Supposedly, DARPA, in cooperation with US military initiatives, is making body armor out of old GameBoys.

Calvengeance on
    Danger is the spice of life.
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    DesertBox wrote: »

You recieved a re-furbished product. As such it is required to work as new. If it is new it has a one year warrenty. As long as you don't yell at anyone and are paitent and persistent yes it does have a one year warrenty.

Blake T on
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Reading threads like this sure does make is easier to stick by my decision to wait for the 65nm process to take over before buying a 360. Well, that and the fact that I have no moneys at all right now.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    Dominic DragonDominic Dragon Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I have to lay my console horizontal to a) diminish the drive noise, and b) prevent freezing while playing GOW.

Incidentally, I have to put my console into a vertical orientation to play crackdown, which will not run if my console is horizontal.

It's been in for 'repair' once. I'm thinking a second time might be a good idea before my warranty is up. Might get me a replacement?

Interesting. I used to have to stand up my old PS1 on its side to make certain games work. Anyway, I am really apprehensive about getting a 360 after hearing about it having so many problems. When I get one, I'm getting a two year warranty. I just hope it doesn't need to be sent in too many times.

Dominic Dragon on
  • Options
    Dominic DragonDominic Dragon Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Marlor wrote: »
    It's bit sad that the extended warranty is a required cost these days. Consoles used to be almost indestructible (my NES is still going strong).

I know. Disc-based systems will never be as solid as the old cartridge systems or last as long. That really depresses me too. I want to be able to play my games for years and years.

Dominic Dragon on
  • Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So I just got my first replacement box on tuesday... All this talk about replacements only lasting a few minutes/ a month is worrying me, but again it seems like most of those cases are people standing their boxes vertical. Mine stays Horizontal at all times. So, anyone wanna make a bet at how long she'll last?

Wezoin on
  • Options
    tardcoretardcore Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    My 360 died late last year. I bought it on launch day. The games would freeze, freeze, then one day it gave me the red lights of DoooOoOOOOOom.

I called M$ up. Told them I bought it on launch day, but I think the guy misheard me. He asked for a specific date and I told him I bought it on November 22nd (which was launch day), and he asked for my address. I guess he thought I bought it November of '06 instead of '05 or something. They sent a box to me for me to put my console in. I took it to a UPS store, mailed it (pre-paid postage). And got it back about 2 weeks later. Brand new system. Didn't have to pay a dime other than the gas driving to the UPS store to drop it off.

I have an oscillating fan sitting right next to it now, so it won't get as hot as it use to. I'm gonna go invest in that $20 fan accessory for my 360.

tardcore on
  • Options
    ReiRei New YorkRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    tardcore wrote: »
    I have an oscillating fan sitting right next to it now, so it won't get as hot as it use to. I'm gonna go invest in that $20 fan accessory for my 360.

http://www.amazon.com/Nyko-Technologies-743840860204-Xbox-Intercooler/dp/B000F5RW1U/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-1739751-8965602?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1175257572&sr=8-1

I'd check out some reviews over at Amazon if you mean the Intercooler. Very mixed feelings on it, some saying it'll melt to the back of your Xbox and voiding warranties and other tales of horror. The best thing is probably just plenty of ventillation and that little fan you have should work good.

Rei on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I hope the overheating problems aren't that bad. It gets up to 43 degrees Celsius (110 degrees Fahrenheit) here in Summer, and we can't run the air conditioning all the time, or the electricity bill would be insane.

It's in a well-ventilated position, but if the overheating is such a problem, then it's a bit of a worry.

Oh well, at worst I guess I might have to ensure that I only use my 360 on cooler days during Summer (and on days when we have the air-con turned on).

Marlor on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Mine just died, but I bought the warranty, so I'm waiting for the box to send it in (Microsoft sends it to you now.)

Also, before it got the Red Ring, it stopped being able to play ANY copy of Dead Rising. I cant wait for it to get back so I can kill me some zumbuhs!

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    SonosSonos Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Cantido wrote: »
    Mine just died, but I bought the warranty, so I'm waiting for the box to send it in (Microsoft sends it to you now.)

Also, before it got the Red Ring, it stopped being able to play ANY copy of Dead Rising. I cant wait for it to get back so I can kill me some zumbuhs!

i think that bought warranty is a ripoff. the standard warranty of 1 year seems to cover the same exact thing imo.

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
    PokeCode: 3952 3495 1748
  • Options
    muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I am on my thrid xbox 360 replacement. THIRD!
    Never had so many problems with a console before.
    Yet the system, when it works, is great so I learned to deal with it.

muninn on
  • Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I've heard some pretty nasty stories about the in-store warranties. For instance, bringing your console into a Best Buy for repairs on their extended service plans will (supposedly) result in them taking your console and shipping it to one of their repair shops... for several times longer than Microsoft (ie, the classic 6-8 weeks instead of Microsoft's 1-2).

Anecdotal information from the Xbox forums is always a little iffy, but still something to keep in mind.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    Marlor wrote: »

I know. Disc-based systems will never be as solid as the old cartridge systems or last as long. That really depresses me too. I want to be able to play my games for years and years.

This I get. The optical interface is prone to bugger up over time. Thus, PS2 DRE. I get that.

I notice most dead 360's are not having disc read errors. They just up and fucking die.

That is, I think, different, and far more worrisome.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Dulath wrote: »
    Hey folks, don't sit your 360s up verticaly.

The right vent area (if the 360 is facing you) is where the fans will draw the most cool/exterior air. If you sit it up on that vent area, the fans will have to work harder to suck air through the smaller vent holes located on various surfaces on the 360.

To test this, play a game that puts the fans to max speed and place your hand near that right vent-area; you'll be able to easily feel the air rushing into the 360.

Does anyone know any thing else about this? I keep hearing both; never use it vertically AND never use it horizontally.

What's really the preferred way?

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    SandersSanders Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Dulath wrote: »
    Hey folks, don't sit your 360s up verticaly.

The right vent area (if the 360 is facing you) is where the fans will draw the most cool/exterior air. If you sit it up on that vent area, the fans will have to work harder to suck air through the smaller vent holes located on various surfaces on the 360.

To test this, play a game that puts the fans to max speed and place your hand near that right vent-area; you'll be able to easily feel the air rushing into the 360.

Does anyone know any thing else about this? I keep hearing both; never use it vertically AND never use it horizontally.

What's really the preferred way?

At work we were forced to warn people that using the 360 in the vertical position could cause problems.
    It shouldn't matter, as long as you don't change positions while a disc is running in it. I keep mine in the horizontal position because it is easier to put games in, and because I keep it on my desk and just feel safer having it laying flat. When I had my 360 on my entertainment stand I barely tipped the disc tray with my foot and knocked it off track, causing it to make a very loud grinding noise when a game was in it.

Sanders on
  • Options
    SpazMuffinSpazMuffin Hey Cut it outRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    mine does that sometimes

if you push the eject button and it clicks but doesn't come out... tap the right hand side of the face of the drive... it unsticks it
    I have the same problem. It is annoying as hell, but doesn't seem bad enough that I want to send it in. Mine does it at any time, not just when I use the eject to turn it on.

SpazMuffin on
    Cosgrove_Face_Sig.jpg
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Evangir wrote: »
    I've heard some pretty nasty stories about the in-store warranties. For instance, bringing your console into a Best Buy for repairs on their extended service plans will (supposedly) result in them taking your console and shipping it to one of their repair shops... for several times longer than Microsoft (ie, the classic 6-8 weeks instead of Microsoft's 1-2).

Anecdotal information from the Xbox forums is always a little iffy, but still something to keep in mind.

http://www.dex.com/

That is where best buy sends most of their stuff to be repaired. I have several friends who work there, and they tell me it is very, very shady. For instance, if you send in a laptop with a broken mainboard, they will replace your mainboard, but they will probably take the ram from it for a laptop that was previously waiting for ram. When you call them up, they tell you that your laptop is waiting for parts still. They don't tell you that they ganked the parts FROM it to fix other shit. 360's probably don't have much in the way of swappable parts other than fans and the discdrive, but hey, there's another anecdote for you.

As far as running horizontal or vertical and them BOTH being bad to do: When I worked at THQ the ps2 testers always had to run their ps2's vertically. Games would frequently crash if the unit was layed down. The reason was that with the larger bottom surface exposed to the air, it could disapate heat faster. The xbox has holes nearly everywhere, and although the fans have to work harder if you cover some of them up, I don't think this is really a problem unless you have your 360 inside an entertainment center or something. My 360 sits vertical on top of my entertainment center with nothing near it at all. It is like a giant white and grean beacon. Up there it can breathe fine no matter how I have it tilted.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg