As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Favorite Web based comics?

• Options
    MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Spider-man

MastaP on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I read QC because it updates every day, and... continuity I guess. It's not funny or anything, but... well, it's just impressive to compare the first comic and the most recent one.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Did we talk about Three Word Phrase yet?

Some classics:
    gottaknow.gif
    brofight.gif
    clonk.gif
    streever wrote: »
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Is....is Kate Beaton really that uptight?

Eh, I wouldn't call it uptight. Sure, it seems uptight from the position of "we're just joking around dude", but think about how many times she has probably heard it.

The people who say it probably think they are so clever, so witty. "Here I am expressing the fact that I think she is kind of hot I mean I know it would never happen but I'm gonna put it out there anyway as a joke and see what happens"

I mean who wants to put up with that over and over?

Anyway, yes, her comics are great.

Thanks to this forum in general, I've become invested in MSPA, which was perhaps the best idea of all time. I don't know why it took me so long to get into it, but it is definitely worth it.

What it really comes down to is, if someone says "I don't like it when you say this," you should probably just not be a dick and not say it, instead of telling them to quit being so uptight about it.

Lux on
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Another beautifully drawn and interesting webcomic is lackadaisy

It's cat-people, but amazing nevertheless.

Lalabox on
  • Options
    streeverstreever Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Exactly Lux!

streever on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I really like www.daisyowl.com but he hasn't updated in a long time. Very sad.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So my brother's been bugging me for months to read this thing called Homestuck. I've heard about here and there, even tried to read it once, but it seemed a little silly and hard to get the hang of, so I never really bothered. Until a couple of weeks ago, when I finally decided it was worth a look.

It's one of the most amazing things I've ever read. Not 'one of the best webcomics', although it's true that it is the best webcomic. But it's geniunely just one of the most innovative and intelligent things I've ever put into my brain. Homestuck is doing things that have never in the history of art been done before, and I love it for that.

It can be hard to get people to read this comic. Probably countless people have given up after the first thirty panels, and because the plot is so impossibly intricate and the characters are so complex there's really no one panel I can give you that really encapsulates the appeal of the thing. So you're just going to have to take my gushing at face value.

Read Homestuck. Do it now. You will cherish this moment forever.

Crimson King on
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    KalTorak wrote: »
    I read QC because it updates every day, and... continuity I guess. It's not funny or anything, but... well, it's just impressive to compare the first comic and the most recent one.

He updates it every day and in the last year the characters seem to be evolving a bit more.

Disco11 on
    PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    What you all need to read is PANORAMA 1 & 2. I think ACT-I-VATE hosts it. Heck you wouldn't be wasting time looking over ACT-I-VATE as a whole. Lemme look.

http://act-i-vate.com/comix

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Gunnerkrigg Court

It's a great enough webcomic that I bought the hardcovers. It's just... so awesome.

Except for boxbot.

Boxbot is terrible.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, I didn't mention Gunnerkrigg since others had already brought it up, but it's seriously terrific. I avoided reading it for a long time, just because the art in the early chapters is a little rough. But a few chapters in, the creator really gets a much better grasp on pacing, and refines his art a great deal. It's easily one of the best webcomics going right now.

Munch on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    streever wrote: »
    That is pretty much exactly how I feel about QC. I mean, I'm curious to see what happens, but I don't really like the characters personalities that much. With that said, I do think they've seen some character development, but still.

Achewood has just been awful lately. I still donated 55$.

I think of Achewood as that really good friend I used to have, who ran into some life problems, and borrowed 200 bucks and never paid me back. You know, I'm cool with them. If I see them at the bar, we have a beer together. I don't get the tab, however.

:lol:

And yeah, agreed about QC.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Also, another great webcomic is Transient Man (click on novel to begin).

It too, has beautiful art, and good characters and story.

Edit: as someone pointed out below, it does have some bits which are nsfw.

Lalabox on
  • Options
    GankGank Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Lalabox wrote: »

My god. This is fantastic for free content, hell, it's just fantastic in general.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    it is also extremely NSFW

Antimatter on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I LOVE Questionable Content. Some of the strips just make me giggle like a nutcase.

One I am ashamed that I like = VG Cats.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Wildcat wrote: »
    I LOVE Questionable Content. Some of the strips just make me giggle like a nutcase.

One I am ashamed that I like = VG Cats.

Ha! I feel love, and subsequent shame, for these two also.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    VG Cats seems like such a waste of the guys talent, I swear, I tell the jokes he tells roughly eight weeks before he does.

No one laughs then either.

Hell, you're sig, Gank, shows his other comic, which is also a waste of time, since those Gen 1 jokes where told years and years ago. While I wouldn't expect an amazing plot for a Poke'mon parody, he even went with the same starter as the actual official Poke'mon mangas.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Gank wrote: »
    Lalabox wrote: »

My god. This is fantastic for free content, hell, it's just fantastic in general.

Holly Mcjesus that's good. You sir have made my week.

Disco11 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    VG Cats seems like such a waste of the guys talent, I swear, I tell the jokes he tells roughly eight weeks before he does.

No one laughs then either.

Hell, you're sig, Gank, shows his other comic, which is also a waste of time, since those Gen 1 jokes where told years and years ago. While I wouldn't expect an amazing plot for a Poke'mon parody, he even went with the same starter as the actual official Poke'mon mangas.

I chuckle occasionally, but on the whole you're right. The only reason this is my sig is cos it was a joke I had made while playing years ago.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    A friend of mine sent me a link to this last night. It's pretty awesome in my opinion, utilizes the webcomic format nicely, and it's just so damn pretty.

It's called His Face All Red and its by Emily Carroll.

http://emcarroll.com/comics/faceallred/01.html

Also I have to second any love for The Abominable Charles Christoper. Karl Kerschel is by far one of my favorite web-comic (or print for that matter) artists.

He also did another online comic that's on Transmission X called the North Sea Epoch. It's just flat out beautiful.

http://www.ragni.txcomics.com/2007/06/25/preface/

Most of TX is pretty nifty though.

I've also been reading through the Bad Machinery Archives, I figure this means I have to go through Scary Go Round too. It's so damn charming.

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Ya, Gabe tweeted "His Face All Red" recently, pretty awesome.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Gunnerkrigg Court

It's a great enough webcomic that I bought the hardcovers. It's just... so awesome.

Except for boxbot.

Boxbot is terrible.

I had no idea there were hardcovers!?

on my list now =)

edit: where are they? I only see 4 Prints and 2 Shirts in the store

Xaquin on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    His Face All Read is perfect. Thats crazy how complete that is, it has no flaws. I'd love to see more short stories in web comics, I wonder why everyone goes for the long haul? Especially considering they are most people's first work.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Gunnerkrigg Court

Except for boxbot.

Boxbot is terrible.

on my list now =)

Vol 1: Orientation
    Vol 2: Research

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    His Face All Read is perfect. Thats crazy how complete that is, it has no flaws. I'd love to see more short stories in web comics, I wonder why everyone goes for the long haul? Especially considering they are most people's first work.

Is there only 8 pages?

Disco11 on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Gunnerkrigg Court

Except for boxbot.

Boxbot is terrible.

on my list now =)

Vol 1: Orientation
    Vol 2: Research

wheeeee thank you!

Xaquin on
  • Options
    WenD'lWenD'l Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I just wanted to thank everyone for responding with such wonderful suggestions. All sorts of wonderful stuff I never would have found on my own. In addition I would like to offer a video that ties into another web comic that has me checking for regular updates.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcbazH6aE2g "Slaughter your World" catches the flavor of a main character from LFG http://www.lfgcomic.com/page/1

WenD'l on
    Eali wrote: »
    I can't text-fuck my way in like Wend'l,
    2nis1t0.jpg
  • Options
    sirchrissypoosirchrissypoo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm really into Questionable Content myself. I've been following it faithfully since probably around the 70th one or so.

I used to follow MegaTokyo faithfully, but I got away from it for a while and found it impossible to catch up. I genuinely love the story, but I also don't remember a single thing about it, and just haven't felt like re-reading it all, so I can't get back into it.

sirchrissypoo on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I'm really into Questionable Content myself. I've been following it faithfully since probably around the 70th one or so.

I used to follow MegaTokyo faithfully, but I got away from it for a while and found it impossible to catch up. I genuinely love the story, but I also don't remember a single thing about it, and just haven't felt like re-reading it all, so I can't get back into it.

This is my outraged face. D:

I can understand QC to a point, but how on Earth can anyone read MegaTokyo, literally looking at it makes me ill.

But what I really clambered in here to post was Anders<3Maria was a good slice of life comic, and now that its over you can read the whole thing is one go!

http://anderslovesmaria.reneengstrom.com/2006/09/11/2006-09-11/

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    You might want to note that A<3M is wildly NSFW there

dongs and boobies all over the place

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    it is the exact opposite of centi's life

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Anders Loves Maria is very skillfully created in its storytelling: but it fills me with so much sadness that I cannot look upon it anymore. That is, truly, the saddest webcomic I've ever read.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Anders Loves Maria is very skillfully created in its storytelling: but it fills me with so much sadness that I cannot look upon it anymore. That is, truly, the saddest webcomic I've ever read.

This is why I can't read Abominable Charles Christopher anymore.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    speaking of both of those
    2008-11-12.jpg

Antimatter on
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I was never a fan of Anders loves Maria but that penultimate comic, dang
    "Maria never woke up"

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    dude, spoilers

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'll spoil you

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    you - you wouldn't!

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I didn't really like the end of Anders <3 Maria.
    It felt too neat and tidy. Though, I feel that way about pretty much any story that culminates with key protagonists dying at the very end.

Munch on