As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

You Startled the [Chat]!

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The other thing is: even if Ostermann's the only one to ever figure it out, what does the imply about the rest of the process? Where do all those other disintegrated consciousness's go? They must linger for a pretty long time, which rather implies that other interesting things are probably happening.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited October 2010
    You know what really bothers me about Watchmen?

Where are the government research projects trying to figure out how to make more of Dr Manhattan. Where are the legions of desparate people wanting to get disintegrated in intrinsic field subtractors so they can become like Dr Manhattan.

I think there's a part in the graphic novel where they talk about being unable to duplicate the circumstances that led to Dr Manhattan.

Echo on
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    Okay so

Say you have an infinite number of scrabble tiles, and an equal amount of each letter (infinite lol)

what is the probability that on a random draw you will be able to spell a word (lets say, Dog)

Would it just be (1/26)^3?

Don't say "infinite", picking a random element out of an infinite set is not well-defined. Say instead that you have equal amounts of each letter and that you put back each tile after drawing it, so that their probabilities remain the same.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Psycho Internet HawkPsycho Internet Hawk Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It also seems like it would be trivially easy for the doctor to stop 100% of the missiles fired in a hypothetical WW3. Just send everything above the pacific and atlantic ocean flying into space. Or make a 200 mile long wall of viscous jelly between the two countries. Or just make a million of yourself and individually stop each missile.

Hell, before the first shot is fired just make a million of yourself and go turn each nuke into a marshmallow.

He's not entirely omnipotent, just very, very close to it.

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    It also seems like it would be trivially easy for the doctor to stop 100% of the missiles fired in a hypothetical WW3. Just send everything above the pacific and atlantic ocean flying into space. Or make a 200 mile long wall of viscous jelly between the two countries. Or just make a million of yourself and individually stop each missile.

Hell, before the first shot is fired just make a million of yourself and go turn each nuke into a marshmallow.

So, what, he can only make six copies of himself? He can turn bullets into marshmallows but not missiles? He can only create enough jelly for a 1 mile wall? Seems like his powers are "whatever's convenient for the plot."

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010

So, what, he can only make six copies of himself? He can turn bullets into marshmallows but not missiles? He can only create enough jelly for a 1 mile wall? Seems like his powers are "whatever's convenient for the plot."

Shhhh!

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So like every other comic book character ever, then.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

I believe the range of them is limited. He's never shown doing anything that impacts, say, the other side of the world. He did have to actually go to Vietnam to end the war after all.

So he can probably zip around turning as many missiles into marshmallows as he can, but he wouldn't get all of them.

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Res wrote: »

Shhhh!

This bothers me a lot less. Even if his powers are close to infinite in theory, he may not necessarily be capable of manifesting them in practice, which is the interpretation I have - he still has to figure out how to do things, and it may strain his intellect to do so.

An analogy might be that in theory a laser anti-missile defense system could completely undermine the Russian deterrent by close to negating the travel time of an interceptor. But in practice, it hasn't been implemented yet.

And then scale for the fact that we're talking about the interests of one guy.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hi [chat]!

Downloading me some dragons and their ages.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    That was an... oddly specific analogy, there.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Res wrote: »
    That was an... oddly specific analogy, there.

I went for something thematically appropriate.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    time to leave for school

James on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm currently in my Scooby Doo costume for work.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    sup [chat]

I am slightly sleepy from late night feminist / intern-related consciousness raising meeting type thing

I am an early bird and not a night owl!

Fortunately there is iced coffee from 85c.

desc on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I will be making a note of this in your file, guy.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    bleh

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited October 2010
    desc wrote: »
    I am slightly sleepy from late night feminist / intern-related consciousness raising meeting type thing 85c.

is that what the kids are calling it these days?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    BLARGH.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    My tower takes shape!

check it out minecrafters

be impressed by my grandeur

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »

What happened to the Beast?

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    today I am sad

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    today I am sad

why

be happy instead

edit: this post directed at nexus and cass

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Today is my interview!

Wheeeee!

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Who are you going as? The ladyfriend and I are going as Fred and Daphne (if anyone is going to the NYC Halloween parade, look for us!)

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Man my Chaucer prof is a riot.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Arivia wrote: »
    Man my Chaucer prof is a riot.

"Yes, if you throw copies of Bodies That Matter and Gender Trouble at me, I will melt away. I've read lots of Middle English stuff, but I can't read that."

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Inquisitor on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Great Halloween chat.

Anyone have a suggestion for a good horror game to stream tomorrow night?

Options include the Fatal Frames, Silent Hills, Resident Evils, and/or Haunting Ground.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Arivia wrote: »

What happened to the Beast?

The Prince. And it's waiting at home. If I ruin it, I may be killed. So alternate costume for work.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Who are you going as? The ladyfriend and I are going as Fred and Daphne (if anyone is going to the NYC Halloween parade, look for us!)

Generic Scooby Doo Villian.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    GalahadGalahad Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I have only seen one person in costume today so far. I am disappointed. Ah well the day is young.

Galahad on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Another thing you have to remember about Doctor Manhattan is that he is essentially trapped by causality. He sees himself doing stuff, and then does it without protest. He feels like he can't fight fate, so if he doesn't see himself stopping a nuclear strike, he doesn't.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Wait, today is Halloween? I thought Sunday was?

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    desc wrote: »
    I am slightly sleepy from late night feminist / intern-related consciousness raising meeting type thing 85c.

is that what the kids are calling it these days?

"consciousness" "raising"

if you catch my drift

eh, gentlemen? winky dot gif, am I right?

Actually naw, I am back at my old college to wrap up my bachelor's and have just a few classes. Taking an Art History class where we're putting together a gallery show that opens in a week and a half. Some of us are the liaisons* to the artists, and the person I'm ... liaising is doing this sort of feminist-grounded group thing based around interning and gender balance in unpaid labor and such.

I've never been an intern, which I guess just proves some point about their theory re: gender and labor. My MAN'S TIME requires hourly wages!

* apparently I never knew how to spell that word until just now

desc on
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Dear united states. Nuke Melbourne. It'll be the only thing you've ever done that anyone will like you for.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    edited October 2010
    evilbob wrote: »
    Dear united states. Nuke Melbourne. It'll be the only thing you've ever done that anyone will like you for.

No. : (

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I have a fever. I'm fecking freezing. I could crawl into my sleeping bag for the rest of the day, but I kind of like the chills of a fever. The way the air around you feels freezing cold is just a trick of the brain, and if you think about it, you can block it out or even consciously contrast it with the roasting heat inside your body. It's pretty neat.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GalahadGalahad Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Wait, today is Halloween? I thought Sunday was?

Today is the "Halloween of the Work Week."

Galahad on
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    evilbob wrote: »

is that in the middle east someplace

okay

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
This discussion has been closed.