As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

You Startled the [Chat]!

• Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Woo, sitting and waiting to see a doctor

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I am off to work. To all a good day.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I need a friend right now.

I called Choco and told him to get on MSN and he said he would in half an hour.

Then I called him an hour later and he said he'd get right on.

I think he's still sleeping. :x

go to his house and cover him head to toe in tuna fish

bring your cats

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited October 2010
    And now, off to buy a few bottles of coke and then on to a Rock Band 3 party.

Echo on
  • Options
    GalahadGalahad Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Res wrote: »
    Galahad wrote: »
    Witnessing humanity attaining immortality is pretty much my one ultimate life goal

If I were smart, I would be some kind of scientist and see if I could help figure it out

As it so happens, I am not very smart. I am, however, basically the goddamn batman, so I figure I should be able to find some way to contribute to this quest eventually.

Maybe, like, I dunno, subject myself to extensive biomodification experiments in an underground Russian laboratory by former Federation scientists trying to help figure out a way to survive the earth-shattering famine and depression caused by the collapse of a massive dystopic centralized commerce monitoring computer network constructed by the Illuminati caused by an augmented special agent who's just trying to find the truth

Something like that

I'd be down with replacing my frontal lobe with a biomechanical computerized interface

I dunno about individual immortality, but I'd feel a lot more assured about the future of the species if I could see a human being standing on the surface of Mars before I die.

There was a graduate student I knew (who's project was on cellular aging more or less) who got the question you are asking during her dissertation, and her answer to "How can we achieve immortality within our lifetimes" was:

"Eat lots of blueberries."

Wait really? What was her rationale for this?

They are high in antioxidants is more or less all there is to it.

It was an awesome answer to a dickish question. (The question itself isn't dickish, but there is a time and a place, and a students dissertation defense is neither.)

So that... That wouldn't actually work?

Eating lots of antioxidants helps keep your body from accumulating as much DNA damage over the years, which is thought to be one of the prime contributors to aging and cancer.

So a diet high in antioxidants would certainly help you live longer and healthier.

Its true as far as that goes.

Galahad on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I am off to work. To all a good day.

You too, pp.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2010
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    Bogart wrote: »
    Instead, on the 5th november we make a big bonfire, let off all the fireworks in the country and celebrate the bloody execution of someone unwise enough to try and blow up Parliament.

I see nothing in this about free chocolate or girls dressed as sexy witches or sexy magicians' assistants or sexy nurses or sexy Frankensteins.

We burn Guy Fawkes in effigy and daub ourselves with woad.

Bogart on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Oh god damn it. The cute saleswoman wore a "sexy dark angel" costume to work that was on the borderline of work appropriate. And the marketing manager is making her go change. Damn her.
    The marketing manager sounds fat.

She's old. And the same one who yelled at our intern for dressing inappropriately.

Menopausal office middle managers are the worst. Working security, they were responsible for easily 80% of our nuisance calls.

Yeah she's a pain in the ass.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited October 2010
    Will might know off the top of his head what the average flight time is for an ICBM. But say it's half an hour. That's 1800 seconds. If Doctor Manhattan could stop missiles at the amazing rate of one every single second, that still is just a fraction of the total Soviet arsenal.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Instead, on the 5th november we make a big bonfire, let off all the fireworks in the country and celebrate the bloody execution of someone unwise enough to try and blow up Parliament.

I see nothing in this about free chocolate or girls dressed as sexy witches or sexy magicians' assistants or sexy nurses or sexy Frankensteins.

:lol:

WMain00 on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited October 2010

...sexy woad?

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm kind of falling apart but if I hospitalize myself I won't get out for a while and I'm already struggling enough with school.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Will might know off the top of his head what the average flight time is for an ICBM. But say it's half an hour. That's 1800 seconds. If Doctor Manhattan could stop missiles at the amazing rate of one every single second, that still is just a fraction of the total Soviet arsenal.

And they outright state that Manhattan can't catch them all, and discuss "acceptable casualty rates".

Echo on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I'm kind of falling apart but if I hospitalize myself I won't get out for a while and I'm already struggling enough with school.

:(

take care of yourself, Cass. You're a cool lady and I want you to be well.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    Witnessing humanity attaining immortality is pretty much my one ultimate life goal

If I were smart, I would be some kind of scientist and see if I could help figure it out

As it so happens, I am not very smart. I am, however, basically the goddamn batman, so I figure I should be able to find some way to contribute to this quest eventually.

Maybe, like, I dunno, subject myself to extensive biomodification experiments in an underground Russian laboratory by former Federation scientists trying to help figure out a way to survive the earth-shattering famine and depression caused by the collapse of a massive dystopic centralized commerce monitoring computer network constructed by the Illuminati caused by an augmented special agent who's just trying to find the truth

Something like that

I'd be down with replacing my frontal lobe with a biomechanical computerized interface

I dunno about individual immortality, but I'd feel a lot more assured about the future of the species if I could see a human being standing on the surface of Mars before I die.

There was a graduate student I knew (who's project was on cellular aging more or less) who got the question you are asking during her dissertation, and her answer to "How can we achieve immortality within our lifetimes" was:

"Eat lots of blueberries."

Wait really? What was her rationale for this?

They are high in antioxidants is more or less all there is to it.

It was an awesome answer to a dickish question. (The question itself isn't dickish, but there is a time and a place, and a students dissertation defense is neither.)

So that... That wouldn't actually work?

Eating lots of antioxidants helps keep your body from accumulating as much DNA damage over the years, which is thought to be one of the prime contributors to aging and cancer.

So a diet high in antioxidants would certainly help you live longer and healthier.

Its true as far as that goes.

That... That isn't the same thing at all!

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Echo wrote: »
    A) This is dumb

B) This isn't relevant to a question about why he doesn't do X. Just because he can see what he's going to do doesn't mean his future actions are determined by the magic eight ball. He seems himself do what he decided to do.

A) It's comics. :P

B) Yeah, he sees his future path laid out before him, and he's unable to choose anything but the choices that leads to it. That's pretty much it. There's that scene on Mars where he talks about everything happening at once. and time being an illusion.

I came back to the computer to respond to this. I can accept things like flying dudes and immortal dudes and genius dudes. But this idea is internally inconsistent. It's dumb in a "can Jesus make a burrito so hot he can't eat it" way. How is this guy's future path and future actions decided, if not ultimately by him, in some sort of quasi-timeline we have to imagine because the otherwise this stupid idea makes even less sense? When he says "without condoning or condemning," he could have said "without agreeing or disagreeing." Ultimately, something caused him to say the former and not the latter. What was it?

I'll see your answer in 9 or 10 hours :P

P.S. I am not saying the stupid idea is your idea I know it is spelled out p clearly in the source material I am saying the source material is stupid in this case

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    I hate Halloween.

Bunch of kids running around the streets in dark clothes.

Down here it's basically if you want to participate you leave your porch light/front of house light on. If it's off, that means you got nothing.

So people still sometimes come up. I've had 5 year olds run back to their mother's crying that I wouldn't give them any candy. They come up all pissed off and I have to point out that the lack of decorations and a lit pathway means I don't have any candy to give.

Sheep on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Actually flight time for most ICBMs should be around 30 minutes. Sub launched systems should be shorter.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2010

...sexy woad?

Sure. Let's say it's sexy woad.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

He could make more of himself! Take that fraction you mentioned, invert it, add 1. Have him make that many copies of himself and now he stops them all!

Alternatively, big wall of jelly / send everything above the oceans into space / some other idea I could think of if I spent another 5 minutes on it but really I think 3 ideas is enough.

P.S. I liked the movie I just kind of think talking about it is silly because it only works on the superficial level of attention needed to make a movie work. If you look at it a little deeper like every thing in the movie stops making sense.

I haven't read the graphic novel.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Film nerds, this looks like an interesting read:

51b1q2WpdKL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I think Manhattan's powers are internally consistant.

But now I already have my boots on and I'm heading out. Ta.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Eh, its a matter of degree.

An arrow pointing us in the right direction.

But who knows. I don't know anyone that has ever tried to subsist on a diet composed entirely of blueberries.

It is possible that this is truly the secret.

I don't recommend you try this.

Galahad on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

But who knows. I don't know anyone that has ever tried to subsist on a diet composed entirely of blueberries.

TOO LATE

Arch on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Arch wrote: »

TOO LATE

Oh good!

So. Arch, or shall we say "test subject zero", do you FEEL immortal?

Galahad on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

He could make more of himself! Take that fraction you mentioned, invert it, add 1. Have him make that many copies of himself and now he stops them all!

How does he know where to be? Omnipotence is nice but stopping every one of ten thousand missiles requires actual omniscience.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Dr. Manhattan isn't a god.

Yet.

During the time of Watchmen, he's still got some vestiges of humanity left that, in a way, are limiting him. He has finite power and finite knowledge of the universe and finite attention.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    How does he know where to be? Omnipotence is nice but stopping every one of ten thousand missiles requires actual omniscience.

Or to put it another way: he knows which missiles he will miss, because his future self knows that.

And now I'm really really off.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

TOO LATE

Oh good!

So. Arch, or shall we say "test subject zero", do you FEEL immortal?

no my tummy just hurts

: (

Arch on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    unless this is what immortality feels like!

then yes, i feel immortal

Arch on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    and then [chat] was the Graphic Violences

desc on
  • Options
    ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010

TOO LATE

Pshaw, there are no blueberries here. That I'm aware of. I do love me some blueberries, though. Blueberry yogurt used to be my after-work snack every day when I was in Germany and had access to it.

I'm thinking about ordering this book, "The Singularity is Near", written by a guy who claims that nanotechnology will eliminate senescence by 2030. I'm trying to find his relevant credentials, though, and it doesn't appear as though he has any, so I probably won't.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    also i have pretty much decided to start a blogspot blog wherein i discuss science and have evolution science debates

through the use of image macros and internet memes

i have already reserved the name

bi-LOL-ogy

Arch on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    That is a crime, Arch.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I mean, you might as well ask "Why can't Superman use his x-ray vision to look through a mile of lead?" Because he can't. "Why can't Wolverine's regenerative factor allow him to make copies of himself just by chopping off, like, an arm?" Because he can't. "Why couldn't Magneto just wander in to the White House, destroying all the tanks/guns/missiles in a 100 mile radius, and declare himself President?" Because he can't.

You do kind of have to accept some limitations to these characters' abilities or else there is no plot.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    That is a crime, Arch.

an awesome crime

Arch on
  • Options
    Psycho Internet HawkPsycho Internet Hawk Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    also i have pretty much decided to start a blogspot blog wherein i discuss science and have evolution science debates

through the use of image macros and internet memes

i have already reserved the name

bi-LOL-ogy

I feel like 90% of science blogs are evolution ones that specifically target ID

as if through sheer massive blogitute scientists can put an end to creation "science"

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I don't remember, does Laurie end up changing Dr. Manhattan's mind on Mars or was it just that he couldn't see how it would turn out?

Sarksus on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

TOO LATE

Pshaw, there are no blueberries here. That I'm aware of. I do love me some blueberries, though. Blueberry yogurt used to be my after-work snack every day when I was in Germany and had access to it.

I'm thinking about ordering this book, "The Singularity is Near", written by a guy who claims that nanotechnology will eliminate senescence by 2030. I'm trying to find his relevant credentials, though, and it doesn't appear as though he has any, so I probably won't.

Ray Kurzweil.

He's kinda nuts.

The book is okay, but a bit uninteresting.

Also: Glenn Beck loves him.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
This discussion has been closed.