As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Milk comes in {chat}s

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    we may not be able to defeat the alien invaders, but a decentralized insurgency could make it costly enough that the civilian aliens on their home planet demand their withdrawal

Elendil on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    In fact you know what: an entire movie about a boarding squad of marines spanning the end of the T-V war and the start of the Shivan war. That gives you your characters, and then you have plenty of space to show spaceships doing awesome stuff.

The only problem with the setting is a lack of beam cannons.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Elendil wrote: »
    we may not be able to defeat the alien invaders, but a decentralized insurgency could make it costly enough that the civilian aliens on their home planet demand their withdrawal

Basically, aliens invading us because we're actually Space-Iraq.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Man when The Office is good it's great.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Except for the fact we actually have WMDs, and the ability to turn earth into a run of the mill uninhabitable planet. I think there's actually a story along those lines.

Leitner on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Leitner wrote: »

Except for the fact we actually have WMDs, and the ability to turn earth into a run of the mill uninhabitable planet. I think there's actually a story along those lines.

I don't know. I think I'd prefer some kind of space-cold war deal. We're the backwards planet that gets invaded by one of the major power blocs because we might become space-communist, then the other one supplies us with weapons and arms to the repel them.

The clever twist would be to have us realize that's the deal and declare independence by kicking both their asses: I favor a final scene where the embittered leader of the resistance, against his own government, launches simultaneous terrorist attacks by dropping atmosphere deprivation weapons on both the homeworlds of each power bloc.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I wonder how much being a Professor sucks.

I mean, having an army of Ph D students I can order around sounds like fun.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I am disappointed that the Star Trek thread doesn't mention the best recent Star Trek movie, Galaxy Quest.

Cinders on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hello [chat].

I have a lovely pair of boots which japan bought me as an early birthday present :D

BobCesca on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Gooey wrote: »
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    so you are a liberal

that chocolate milk is literally the one organic thing i buy

because organic foods are bullshit

load me up with genetically engineered hormoned-up soy-fed super cattle, pls

I buy a few things that are organic, because they are better than the standard varieties.

Their being better quality is not necessarily anything to do with them being organic, however.

japan on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Man, and we bitch that climate change will be too expensive to deal with.

I mean shouldn't it be pretty clear that if you give the right incentive, we can pretty much auto-fucking-matically correct any problem we want?

Money talks, and that scheme has been approached entirely the wrong way.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

I mean shouldn't it be pretty clear that if you give the right incentive, we can pretty much auto-fucking-matically correct any problem we want?

That article really confused me.

The numbers were all over the place and I just got lost..

:(

Daxon on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I just read someone saying a drawing of a comic character was in the uncanny valley...

WRRYYYYYYYYYYY HEAD HURT!!!!

Daxon on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    More places need to apply the same ideas Freiburg uses for their energy grids.

Cinders on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Cinders wrote: »

http://postcarboncities.net/node/2680

This is the most amazing thing I've read all month.

Guy things his house could be heated with 30 candles. That's fucking epic.

Daxon on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Daxon wrote: »

Rupert Murdoch doesn't like the Labor party in any of it's forms is probably a truism, which makes following any of his papers worthless but hey - old habits die hard.

Basically NSW state was paying 60c per kwH of installed solar. This is insanely good. Anyone who could afford it started installing solar panels because it was an insanely investment versus inflation, interest etc (my brother, studying commerce, did a full analysis while I was badgering my father to do it - we currently get a credit on our power bill).

Naturally, the government seriously underestimated how nuts consumers would go for this and so rebounded by cutting it to a nigh worthless level again - if you put them in before the deadline though, you're good for 7 years.

We structured our investment so that we got the most solar panels we could so that they'd repay over the 7 year period. I suspect a bunch of people did - so we have like, 9kW. When me and my brothers move out, the house will probably supply more energy to the grid then it uses - net.

To my mind, this is a picture perfect example of how you fight climate change. Create a scheme which pretty much pays people to offset their emissions - cut the payback period to something that eclipses other fiscal uses of their money, then drop them down to nothing. And then aggressively fund energy storage technology research.

The whole thing depresses the fuck out of me: why is conservatism in this country synonymous with "fuck the environment" and supported by one billionaire in this effort? Why can't we acknowledge that if we carbon tax people, we could discount the fuck out abatement technology and it's pretty clear people would buy it?

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

http://inhabitat.com/2010/08/20/heliotrope-the-worlds-first-energy-positive-solar-home/

This house generates 5 times more power then it takes in.

Cinders on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Also that's fucking awesome.

Sadly we built our house without considering these types of things. It annoys the hell out of me that my bedroom gets cold in winter and hot in summer, without a modicum of decent insulation around the windows or roof. With passive heating and double-glazing everywhere...like god damn. Even a thing loaded with computers like this place could be awesome.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Rupert Murdoch doesn't like the Labor party in any of it's forms is probably a truism, which makes following any of his papers worthless but hey - old habits die hard.

Basically NSW state was paying 60c per kwH of installed solar. This is insanely good. Anyone who could afford it started installing solar panels because it was an insanely investment versus inflation, interest etc (my brother, studying commerce, did a full analysis while I was badgering my father to do it - we currently get a credit on our power bill).

Naturally, the government seriously underestimated how nuts consumers would go for this and so rebounded by cutting it to a nigh worthless level again - if you put them in before the deadline though, you're good for 7 years.

We structured our investment so that we got the most solar panels we could so that they'd repay over the 7 year period. I suspect a bunch of people did - so we have like, 9kW. When me and my brothers move out, the house will probably supply more energy to the grid then it uses - net.

To my mind, this is a picture perfect example of how you fight climate change. Create a scheme which pretty much pays people to offset their emissions - cut the payback period to something that eclipses other fiscal uses of their money, then drop them down to nothing. And then aggressively fund energy storage technology research.

The whole thing depresses the fuck out of me: why is conservatism in this country synonymous with "fuck the environment" and supported by one billionaire in this effort? Why can't we acknowledge that if we carbon tax people, we could discount the fuck out abatement technology and it's pretty clear people would buy it?

Oh write, that's pretty shit yeah... :/

Daxon on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    A dude at a party last night broke out a guitar. I thought he was a dick, but then he played this (And only about three people knew the words, it's not like fucking Wonderwall) so I'm rather conflicted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKT1P7x_Pzo

Tav on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

http://inhabitat.com/2010/08/20/heliotrope-the-worlds-first-energy-positive-solar-home/

This house generates 5 times more power then it takes in.

There was a climate change architecture exhibition in Copenhagen a year or two back that I went to see and there were some truly epic ideas there that were great. I can only hope that the stuff is implemented.

Personally I'd like to tear down half of London (over time) and rebuild it as energy efficient housing with plenty of bike lanes and just a much more efficient use of the space available.

Two of my friends are especially against this because they keep on whinging on about how "it would make London not be London without the shitty looking Victorian houses that nobody takes care of lining pretty much every road".

Daxon on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Tav wrote: »
    A dude at a party last night broke out a guitar. I thought he was a dick, but then he played this (And only about three people knew the words, it's not like fucking Wonderwall) so I'm rather conflicted.

No, guitar at a party always means dick.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    And now it's time to get back to chemistry.

Cinders on
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    What's up homps

I'm in Paris!

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    China hates me and keeps hacking my GMail account. I think it's a worm on this one PC at work, so I sent a request for IT to check it out and used my home PC to change my password to an 11char number/letter/caps combo.

In your face China!

Also, if they keep it up, I will totally declare war on China.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

I thought this too, but like, his choice of song really hit me. My recollection is hazy, but I remember thinking "Thank fuck that wasn't fucking Stairway to fucking Heaven"

Tav on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Nex.

Bringing up godwins law means you automatically lose.

Just an fyi.

Leitner on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Wait, what? Why?

I dunno maybe it's because there's musician's in my family/I know quite a few musicians but I've never found this to be the case.

Then again I've never just had a dude randomly bust out a guitar at a party, usually people request it :P

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Wait, what? Why?

I dunno maybe it's because there's musician's in my family/I know quite a few musicians but I've never found this to be the case.

Then again I've never just had a dude randomly bust out a guitar at a party, usually people request it :P

It kind of kills the party and makes it into a one man show thing which is pretty dickish all around.

Daxon on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    MyDcmbr wrote: »
    China hates me and keeps hacking my GMail account. I think it's a worm on this one PC at work, so I sent a request for IT to check it out and used my home PC to change my password to an 11char number/letter/caps combo.

In your face China!

I dunno man, they've got those giant double barreled tanks with changeable weapon turrets on top of them, that might be hard to deal with. I guess maybe if you rush them before they can start pumping them out?

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    What's up homps

I'm in Paris!

Do the people there speak German?

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    You know, for a disaster movie with religious overtones - the twist in Knowing was surprisingly refreshing.

Although seriously
    Those alien were dickhead eugenecist jerks, who probably killed a bunch of people to make sure their "prophecy" came true.

That was probably one of the three worst films I saw last year. Seriously poorly done in almost every way that matters. And it took itself with such self-aggrandised importance.

The only people I know who liked it were evangelicals.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    MyDcmbr wrote: »

In your face China!

There's some enigmatic mystery to the fact that computers where someone gets paid to maintain them usually are significantly more fucked then anywhere else, and have idiotic policies to boot.

Like, what genius concluded that the keeping all the instrument computers off the internet, but usable with USB keys, was a good idea? Every single one has USB key infecting worms of some sort on it.

Like, it doesn't even make sense - they could install MSE or some other distributed antivirus and roll-out updates centrally without allowing internet access, but they don't. It's a god damn amateur hour, with a hotbed of spamming as the consequence.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Most people who randomly bust out a guitar at a party are doing it specifically to make the point that they have a guitar and can play at least one song on it.

japan on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

because gummint something something freedom something or other taxes

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    You know, for a disaster movie with religious overtones - the twist in Knowing was surprisingly refreshing.

Although seriously
    Those alien were dickhead eugenecist jerks, who probably killed a bunch of people to make sure their "prophecy" came true.

That was probably one of the three worst films I saw last year. Seriously poorly done in almost every way that matters. And it took itself with such self-aggrandised importance.

The only people I know who liked it were evangelicals.

I thought it was worth my time just for the Earth-go-boom scene at the end.

But yeah the rest of it was a slow paced snooze fest.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited October 2010
    Echo on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Wait, what? Why?

It kind of kills the party and makes it into a one man show thing which is pretty dickish all around.

Huh, I've never ran into this but then again in every instance I can think of there's been multiple musicians hanging out so it's more of an impromtu jam session than a one person show.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    japan wrote: »
    Most people who randomly bust out a guitar at a party are doing it specifically to make the point that they have a guitar and can play at least one song on it.

I've determined that this is just a thing that doesn't happen at parties with musicians in them as there is an entirely different vibe if instruments break out.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Elldren wrote: »
    japan wrote: »

I've determined that this is just a thing that doesn't happen at parties with musicians in them as there is an entirely different vibe if instruments break out.

Yes, this.

HappylilElf on
This discussion has been closed.