As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Milk comes in {chat}s

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Res wrote: »
    I love it when people use the word "allergic" to refer to something they don't like

No, you aren't allergic to that, dipshit, or you'd be having an allergic reaction to it.

One time I called someone out on this when they were enjoying the rare thing they actually liked that had their "allergen" in it, and they said, "Oh, I'm trying to build up my immunity to it" or some shit like that

That was awesome because, in case you didn't know, allergies don't work this way. An allergy is your immune system over-reacting to something that isn't actually toxic, so, while your immune system does in fact "build up" with exposure as it does with anything it targets, that doesn't make your allergy go away, it makes it stronger. Hurrrr.
    In fact, if I'm not mistaken, part of the treatment for allergies is to avoid any instance of them for an extended period of time.

That, plus twice-weekly shots, is how I went from serious allergies to like 12,000 things to mild allergies to a few things.

Sometimes all it takes is not eating bananas for like two years, though.

What you said is correct, it's particularly true of food allergies in children. If you catch it early, and avoid giving it to your kid like the plague for several years, they might just "outgrow" them. (It's not really outgrowing them, it's what you said it is).

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Well, I don't drink beer, but I thought people put ice in it.

I have never known anyone to do this. Iced glasses are quite common, though. Beer does not tolerate watering very well.

japan on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    My mother gave me an allergy to apple sauce when I was a kid. She made it from scratch lots and I loved it so I kept wanting more more more...

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    MyDcmbr wrote: »
    Honk wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    I don't have any milk! :U

Milk is not a beverage!

IS TOO!

I dunno.....

When I think "beverage" milk is not something that comes to mind. Water, soda, juice, beer, those come to mind. Milk, nah.

The problem with milk is that you can't drink a glass of it throughout dinner without it getting warm. Water, soda and beer are all acceptable ice receptacles, but not milk.

Wat? :shock:

You put ice in beer?!?!?!?!?!

no. no man.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    japan wrote: »

I have never known anyone to do this. Iced glasses are quite common, though. Beer does not tolerate watering very well.

As evidenced by the sorry state of American beer.

Kilroy on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    God, the chicken in the slow cooker smells fantastic.

japan on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    american non huge company beer is some of the best

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Okay, stream is fixed and audio is go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlwjS53pAho

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Kilroy wrote: »

It's not the 80's anymore. We have more craft breweries. Especially here in the midwest.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Arivia wrote: »
    My mother gave me an allergy to apple sauce when I was a kid. She made it from scratch lots and I loved it so I kept wanting more more more...

That's how it generally happens. Kids have limited palettes and are prone to stubbornly eating only a few things that they like. They also have brand new immune systems that are just waiting to go after something.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    So overlord is on sale on steam, and people have said it's good.

It's not a RTS is it?

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    but you can treat allergies with small amounts of the stuff you're allergic to

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Undoubtedly.

I went to a bar in Chicago that 30+ different craft beers from across the nation on tap. It was glorious.

Kilroy on
  • Options
    sersleepyheadsersleepyhead Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    moniker wrote: »

It's not the 80's anymore. We have more craft breweries. Especially here in the midwest.

Can you recommend any good beer brands?

Edit: Also, hello [chat].

sersleepyhead on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Diluted in water and sold to you by a homeopathic practitioner?

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised that finding drinkable beer wasn't that tough in the states. Well done.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    edited October 2010

So it's a tremendous relief to learn about the aforementioned study in Britain, which holds out the hope that all of this may soon be behind us. What's distinctive about this study is that it combated the allergy through "desensitization therapy," in which children are exposed to the allergen in question in small increments over time, rather than avoiding it altogether (what my son has been doing for nine years). An earlier, similar attempt at desensitization therapy in the 1990s used injections of peanut oil and resulted in several severe reactions among participants. This time, the peanuts were ingested in the form of peanut flour, and 21 out of 23 children tolerated them without experiencing allergic reactions. (A similar trial was conducted at Duke University last year, with similar results.)

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    I don't have any milk! :U

Milk is not a beverage!

IS TOO!

I dunno.....

When I think "beverage" milk is not something that comes to mind. Water, soda, juice, beer, those come to mind. Milk, nah.

The problem with milk is that you can't drink a glass of it throughout dinner without it getting warm. Water, soda and beer are all acceptable ice receptacles, but not milk.

Wat? :shock:

You put ice in beer?!?!?!?!?!

You put beer in ice

You never put ice in beer

What do you think this is? Soviet Russia?

Are you trying to tell us you're a commie, carrot?

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

So it's a tremendous relief to learn about the aforementioned study in Britain, which holds out the hope that all of this may soon be behind us. What's distinctive about this study is that it combated the allergy through "desensitization therapy," in which children are exposed to the allergen in question in small increments over time, rather than avoiding it altogether (what my son has been doing for nine years). An earlier, similar attempt at desensitization therapy in the 1990s used injections of peanut oil and resulted in several severe reactions among participants. This time, the peanuts were ingested in the form of peanut flour, and 21 out of 23 children tolerated them without experiencing allergic reactions. (A similar trial was conducted at Duke University last year, with similar results.)

That's an interesting study, but it hasn't yet resulted in a change to the treatment for childhood allergies, which is still avoid avoid avoid. At least not that I'm aware of.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

It's not a RTS is it?

More a point and click squad-based 3rd person platformer.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Stone makes good stuff.

Kilroy on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    the us beer market is pretty good these days

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Canadian beer market: Still sucky.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

It's not a RTS is it?

Isn't that DLC?

Apparently we've had a cure for hayfever for decades, it just reacts fatally with a tiny number of (unpredictable) individuals. Always found that fascinating. Makes one wonder how many things like that there are.

Leitner on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Canadian beer market: Still sucky.

riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiickard's

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Leitner wrote: »

It's not a RTS is it?

Isn't that DLC?

Apparently we've had a cure for hayfever for decades, it just reacts fatally with a tiny number of (unpredictable) individuals. Always found that fascinating. Makes one wonder how many things like that there are.

I won't believe that without a source.

Daxon on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Stone makes good stuff.
    "Double Bastard". Yes, I believe I will come to like American beer after all.

sersleepyhead on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    So, I normally don't give a shit about achievements but it is seriously pissing me off that you can't earn Civ 5 Steam achievements while playing a modded game, and there is still no patch for the God damn game, so the only way to address the absolutely retarded bugs (like the Catherine the Great exploit, or the enemies who become permanently unattackable after signing a peace treaty) is with the unofficial fixpack mod, which is a mod.

So either play the game broken or fix it and you get no achievements because you're "cheating".

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Undoubtedly.

I went to a bar in Chicago that 30+ different craft beers from across the nation on tap. It was glorious.

Do you remember the name of the place? Because I could always use new spots to check out.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Undoubtedly.

Do you remember the name of the place? Because I could always use new spots to check out.

Jak's Tap.

Kilroy on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

You put beer in ice

You never put ice in beer

What do you think this is? Soviet Russia?

Are you trying to tell us you're a commie, carrot?

Well, dwarf mines are pretty community-focused, so I guess I was raised as one?

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Not really, I'm not much of a beer snob. Goose Island has a few that are pretty good. Plus they're local, so yay community investment.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Not really, I'm not much of a beer snob. Goose Island has a few that are pretty good. Plus they're local, so yay community investment.

Thanks for that, I guess I'll check it out when I visit my friend in Chicago.

sersleepyhead on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Daxon wrote: »
    I won't believe that without a source.

Immunotherapy of some description, maybe two decades back.

Looking for a source right now, but there's so much bollocks to sift through.

Leitner on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The English voices for Naruto aren't very good. I wish this game had a subtitle option.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    Dyrwen66Dyrwen66 the other's insane Denver CORegistered User regular
    edited October 2010

Thanks for that, I guess I'll check it out when I visit my friend in Chicago.

There are buttloads of beers in the Alcohol thread if more beer is what you're looking for.

Anchor Steam (CA), New Belgium (CO), Sierra Nevada (CA) and even some Sam Adams (MA) are great semi-small beer companies around the US available at most groceries around here.

Dyrwen66 on
    Just an ancient PA person who doesn't leave the house much.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    So, I normally don't give a shit about achievements but it is seriously pissing me off that you can't earn Civ 5 Steam achievements while playing a modded game, and there is still no patch for the God damn game, so the only way to address the absolutely retarded bugs (like the Catherine the Great exploit, or the enemies who become permanently unattackable after signing a peace treaty) is with the unofficial fixpack mod, which is a mod.

So either play the game broken or fix it and you get no achievements because you're "cheating".

Firaxis still hasn't released a patch? I've been holding out buying Civilization 5 because of all the complaints people are making about it. Guess I should wait some more.

sersleepyhead on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Blue Moon and Sierre Nevada are the nicer American beers that one can easily get in London.

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Isn't Blue Moon Canadian? It's also awful.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2010
    Today was a fun day. Game City in town, with the Robin Hood Pageant at the castle. At one point during the jousting I yelled for Friar Tuck to kick the Sherriff's teeth in.

Bogart on
This discussion has been closed.