As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's Play FEAR Perseus Mandate - Set 6 7 8 - Update time!

2»

• Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    heenato wrote: »
    No, I don't think it actually is. Everything I'm looking at says the lightning gun was only perseus mandate.

Are you sure you're not thinking of the type-7 particle weapon, AKA the multicultural skeleton maker?

Oh you're right! That's the one I was thinking of. It's been quite a while since I played any of the FEAR 1 saga. My mistake!

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    HelloweenHelloween Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    God this was irritating

Set 5 - Earth shattering kabooms

Helloween on
    See all of my Let's Plays Here:
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    JaramrJaramr Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The penetrator.

When it is firing, in slow motion, it is actually someone saying "WHAT THE?!"

You cannot unhear it.

Jaramr on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Y'know, it figures it'd take a nuke going off to get things interesting again. I don't know or care who mercdude is or what he's doing, because I'm pretty sure I'm not going to find out. But now the bomb went off and shit's actually happening. Now we're getting somewhere.

That said, I confess to chuckling when your thrown turret got stuck in the door, and the second one was just shot out of the air. By another turret, no less. It's not irony, but it's something very close that I keep mistaking for irony.

Anyhoo, enjoyed the set Hello :^:

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Bob is such a messy messy boy.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Remember when these graphics were considered good? Remember when Helloween was playing the first FEAR and was all ooh pretty?

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    My strategy for the turrets there is actually pretty simple, and works surprisingly well.

Rush them with your anti-turret device, which turns out to be the same thing as your anti ninja device. And anti Warf device. It works surprisingly well, and you end up losing LESS health than shooting them from far away.

And with that mook rush there...the first time I played this game, I was terrible at it. So if you think it was bad there, try doing it with 20 health left, and no healthkits. Though, I don't think it's nearly as bad as the super warf fights in those hallways

Also: I HATE ensign expendable for that looking glass line.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, that was pretty terrible

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    valgomirvalgomir Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Ah, Helloween Rage. The best rage.

valgomir on
  • Options
    Ad astraAd astra Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Man, that wave after wave section looked awful. Enemy wave sections only work when you've got a turret to mow them down, and when you don't, they become rage inducing tedium.

And not that this is a blinding insight or anything, but I have a feeling private meat-shield will not be making it out of the underground.

Ad astra on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    So, if anyone hasn't seen this yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZq4winsDHg

Watch the rest of the "Helloween's favourite games" series as well if you haven't already, they're awesome.

valgomir on
  • Options
    Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    FPS Moses is a very tiny man.
    The size of the entire scientist man?

Liquid Ghost on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    You know...looking through this and Extraction point again, it honestly looks like the developers designed the maps first, with all the healthkits, then when it actually went to testing, it was WAAAY too easy with base FEAR's mechanics. So they say "This is way too easy...lets up the damage on the enemies to insane heights"

I mean, sure. There was PROBABLY a guy who said "Err. Wouldn't it be better to just REMOVE some of the healthpacks?" But unfortunatly, Bob ate him. And he is why there's so much tomato sauce.

Also: Turns out that the devs were guilty of some lazy map usage. That exit to the subway was the EXACT same one from Extraction point. Complete with dead guy chillin' on the bench.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Ahahaha, oh man, the AC unit.

Also, this guy.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    That exit to the subway was the EXACT same one from Extraction point. Complete with dead guy chillin' on the bench.

So it wasn't just me. Too bad this time his hands weren't in inappropriate places again... But Hell knocked him over nonetheless, so it's all good.
    TrippyJing wrote:
    Also, this guy.

valgomir on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I'll update the thread soon. I started a full time job and i totally forgot :(

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Helloween wrote: »
    I'll update the thread soon. I started a full time job and i totally forgot :(

Sal good Helloween. Unlike the human refuse that is your Youtube page comment section, we are patient and not schizophrenic. Take your time, and earn your moneys. :P

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    TrippyJing wrote: »

Also, this guy.
    Now I'm just waiting for the inevitable team-up movie where Klykasaw and Bob team up to kidnap LPers and replace them with spilled bottles/cans of tomato sauce.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Sorry about that chaps, been super busy with work and forgot to update the thread. Here y'all are:

Set 6 - Foot lovers
    Set 7 - Oh, Hello
    Set 8 - More FE less AR

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Set 6 brought with it some superb creepiness, but the highlight was in set 7.
    Death by Air Conditioning Unit.

That definitely goes down as one of the best deaths I've had the pleasure of seeing you suffer. :mrgreen:

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    borat_thumbs_up_narrowweb__300x5040.jpg

Good to have you back Helloween. Set 8 was aces (even with the lack of F.E.A.R).

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    Ad astraAd astra Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    1. Helloween being
    crushed by an air conditioner
    was hilarious.

2. Those dodging bastards are bullshit.

3. Whoever made this game doesn't know how it should be paced.

And 4.
    Ninjas!

Ad astra on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    You know...it occurs to me. Why is the super secret, probably ILLEGAL mercenary group using ALIENWARE AND DELL computers? Shouldn't they be going to some kinda shady military supplier for their computers?

Actually...the lightning gun WAS hitting them. You could see the lightning arcing around their bodies. They just have THAT stupidly much health. The lightning gun is BASICALLY hitscan, in that as long as you're pointing CLOSE to something, it'll hit them...Of course, to balance that out, the damage is wildly inconsistant. Sometimes it'll cause them to explode in a cloud of blood, others it does NOTHING.

On an unrelated note, but still related to you Helloween, you got me to buy Call of Cthulhu on steam....and then I learn that I cant PATCH the steam version. I am going to get SCREWED out of the good ending, aren't I?

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Y'know, I'm watching this, and Helloween is as entertaining as ever, but the whole time I can't help but feel the people who made this haven't had an original thought since the first FEAR game. There's no exposition, there's no pacing, nothing interesting is done with the enemies, it's not clear what you're supposed to be doing or why... the only thing close to a surprise is that Private Expendable didn't immediately die.

Basically, take the first minute or so of this: and that's more or less what I'm feeling right now.

And it pisses me off, because FEAR has legitimately good gameplay even when it's not trying to be scary. But they just have no interest taking it anywhere, well, interesting. It's just too bad, really.

All that said, still loved the sets Hello. Keep up the good work, and good luck with the job :^:

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Stolls wrote: »
    Y'know, I'm watching this, and Helloween is as entertaining as ever, but the whole time I can't help but feel the people who made this haven't had an original thought since the first FEAR game.
    This is because it's made by COMPLETELY different people. Monolith productions developed the original, while it was Timegate studios who developed both Extraction Point and Perseus mandate.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Also Extraction Point and Perseus mandate aren't considered canon, in terms of the overall FEAR plot.

Karl on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    WE ARE

VR

TROOPERS

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    The day you stop making LPs will be a very sad day indeed. I hope it won't be anytime soon.
    Excellent set(s); Helloween rage is probably one of the most enjoyable things on earth :P

valgomir on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I laughed so hard at you mimicking the door noises in the last set :D

Now you are FREEEEEE! No more hordes of Mr. Warfs, no more stupid Med Kit Monster, no more BWUARGH doors, and, most importantly: no more badly-scripted story. Until you find another horrendous game you want to LP, of course :P

EDIT:

EEEk double posts D: Meh, not my fault if Helloween doesn't update the thread...

valgomir on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    This game...it's pretty obvious that the developers just said 'We don't WANT to keep making F.E.A.R games! Let us do something ELSE!'

The game seems like it was just getting padded out for the last section, since it could have ended when you got what's his name in custody. and NOTHING HAPPENED the ENTIRE game, other than shooting warfs, and a couple shroom moments.

Plus, Alma merrily skipping away from the carnage she had caused was HILARIOUS. You don't want HILARIOUS in your horror game!

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    heenato wrote:
    and NOTHING HAPPENED the ENTIRE game

This is exactly what I thought of after I watched the last set. I mean, the LP part had stuff happen, of course, and it was so very entertaining. But unless I missed something, the game had almost no meaning.

I mean, was that whole thing about getting that one dude and then leaving? Was there even some kind of twist?

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    The twist was that there were mr warfs there. That's it.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Set 9 is up, for anyone interested. It's the last one and it's a long one, in more ways then one as you'll see, so prepare to sit back for a while and watch the most righteous game raging out of Helloween yet.

I really enjoyed the LP even if the game was lacklustre, and look forward to whatever it is you have up your sleeve next good sir. :)

Corehealer on
    488W936.png