As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ecliptic planes and Galactic Planes: Why?

DrukDruk Registered User regular
edited October 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Thanks to the wonder of the Internet, I've been checking out something that's pretty interesting. I always thought the disc-shaped solar system, and disc-shaped galaxies, were just representations of a likely spherical group of objects. My question is: why?

An hour-long Google session didn't really help. Mostly the only information I can find on the subject is definitions of what the ecliptic plane is, or just statements that basically amount to "it happens during formation of the systems", which isn't really an explanation.

I assume there's some sort of mathematical explanation for why massive groups of rocks in the universe tend to circle each other within a plane; what is it?

Druk on

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I Googled "why are galaxies flat" and I was about to link you a bunch of stuff I found but I think it's more efficient to have you sort through it. This thing is pretty, though.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    You're not going to get a simple mathematical explanation for something as complex as the orbits of all the bodies in a solar system or galaxy. And of course, not all orbits in the system are actually on the same plane, they just statistically tend to fall on or near a plane, but there are of course outliers. So it's a statistical representation, not an absolute fact for all bodies in orbit around a point.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    When you take a particle system operating under gravity (eg: gasses in a nebula, stars in a galaxy) and make them spin they will end up in a flat(ish) spinning disk shape.

It is the spin of a galaxy / star system that results in them being "flat".

edit: Try and find a copy of Neil Degrasse Tyson's series of lectures "My Favorite Univerise". One of them explains this very well.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Druk wrote: »
    Thanks to the wonder of the Internet, I've been checking out something that's pretty interesting. I always thought the disc-shaped solar system, and disc-shaped galaxies, were just representations of a likely spherical group of objects. My question is: why?

An hour-long Google session didn't really help. Mostly the only information I can find on the subject is definitions of what the ecliptic plane is, or just statements that basically amount to "it happens during formation of the systems", which isn't really an explanation.

I assume there's some sort of mathematical explanation for why massive groups of rocks in the universe tend to circle each other within a plane; what is it?

They're not all on quite the same plane, but the general idea is that if you take these sphere of stuff and drop a line though its centre around which it rotates, then the mass gets thrown to the outermost points. which is the plane perpendicular to the axis at its centre.

It's hard to explain without a diagram.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Conservation of mass and angular momentum will answer your question.

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The same reason you are lighter at the equator than you are at a pole. If you take a globe of dust in space and spin it, it makes a disk.

Lykouragh on
  • Options
    DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    ^ if the rate of spin is sufficient enough to outweigh the force holding that mass together (mostly gravity). There's a reason why Earth (and pretty much most planets) are spherical and not disc shaped. In short, those galaxies are rotating really fast.

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Demerdar wrote: »
    ^ if the rate of spin is sufficient enough to outweigh the force holding that mass together (mostly gravity). There's a reason why Earth (and pretty much most planets) are spherical and not disc shaped. In short, those galaxies are rotating really fast.

Although even Earth is a few dozen miles shorter pole to pole than it is equator to equator.

Smasher on
  • Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Take some pizza dough. Ball it up. Toss it in the air and spin. What happens?

Same idea, generally.

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    seconding looking up Neil Degrasse Tyson, I could (and often do) listen to that guy talk all day

he has more than enough material to keep you occupied for weeks on end, and I have personally never been bored by his lectures

Beasteh on