As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Gay Rights] Wyoming: What Republicans SHOULD be.

MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
edited March 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
So, new thread time.

"This has been a great year for gay rights, I can get homo army married on an aircraft carrier now, right?"

Not quite. Let's go over where we stand on the major issues.

DADT:

The military is in the planning stages of the repeal, but we're looking at it probably being in full effect sometime near the end of June.

Gay Marriage:

UPDATE: 02/16/2011

The contentious issue of whether the Prop 8 defendants have standing is going to the CA. State Supreme Court on March 14th.

Gay Teen Suicides:
Rorus Raz had a great post about this, so I am poaching it.
Rorus Raz wrote: »
The skinny on gay suicides.

For those unaware, we had a seemingly sudden surge in gay teen suicides around early-to-mid September. It's hard to say if this was an actual increase in gay suicides or just the media opting to cover them. Either way, too many kids needlessly dead and, unsurprisingly, the cause of these deaths is related to homophobic bullying in schools.

Dan Savage decided enough is enough and came up with the "It Gets Better" campaign, which invites adult members of the LGBT community to post videos to YouTube about their experiences as gay youth and that, yes, it gets better. Before long, YouTube has tons of videos telling personal stories of suffering in school with the encouraging successes that happened after. Even straight people such as Nancy Pelosi and Barack Obama made their own videos encouraging these kids to hang in there.

It wasn't all sunshine: geese came and honked about them damn queers getting attention and an ounce of respect. Luckily, they've all been spectacular failures. One school council member even resigned after his horrific homophobic ranting on Facebook. Bottom line: these people are slowly becoming marginalized.

Unlike the continued struggles with gay rights, It Gets Better can be counted as a quantified success story: the Trevor Project has had a dramatic increase in calls from troubled teens. YouTube has more videos than I can count. I did mention this got Presidential attention, right?

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
MuddBudd on

• MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    MuddBudd on
    edited October 2010
    This is from Theoatmeal.com

oatmeal1.png

*spoilered the rest for huge images*
    oatmeal2.png
    oatmeal3.png
    oatmeal4.png
    oatmeal5.png

Note: The Gayroller is a real thing and this will totally happen in real life.

MuddBudd on
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Oh you BASTARD.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
    edited October 2010
    Kagera wrote: »
    Oh you BASTARD.

Sorry, were you working on one?

MuddBudd on
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The better thread gets my vote.

Burtletoy on
    edited October 2010
    I have to even vote for this one over mine.

Kagera on
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    'literally' has been used as an intensifier for centuries. Give it up.

Captain Carrot on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Centuries, huh?

KalTorak on
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I like the idea of a homosexual steamroller. Count me in. :^:

Hacksaw on
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Centuries, huh?
    Literally forever.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2010
    The skinny on gay suicides.

For those unaware, we had a seemingly sudden surge in gay teen suicides around early-to-mid September. It's hard to say if this was an actual increase in gay suicides or just the media opting to cover them. Either way, too many kids needlessly dead and, unsurprisingly, the cause of these deaths is related to homophobic bullying in schools.

Dan Savage decided enough is enough and came up with the "It Gets Better" campaign, which invites adult members of the LGBT community to post videos to YouTube about their experiences as gay youth and that, yes, it gets better. Before long, YouTube has tons of videos telling personal stories of suffering in school with the encouraging successes that happened after. Even straight people such as Nancy Pelosi and Barack Obama made their own videos encouraging these kids to hang in there.

It wasn't all sunshine: geese came and honked about them damn queers getting attention and an ounce of respect. Luckily, they've all been spectacular failures. One school council member even resigned after his horrific homophobic ranting on Facebook. Bottom line: these people are slowly becoming marginalized.

Unlike the continued struggles with gay rights, It Gets Better can be counted as a quantified success story: the Trevor Project has had a dramatic increase in calls from troubled teens. YouTube has more videos than I can count. I did mention this got Presidential attention, right?

It even has a theme song!

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    No matter how many times I hear about it, anything related to It Gets Better always puts a big lump in my throat.

KalTorak on
  • GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Tim Gunn's video was especially powerful, I think. I also really liked Zachary Quinto, even if I can't help but think of him cutting someone's head open with his finger.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010
    GoodOmens wrote: »
    Tim Gunn's video was especially powerful, I think. I also really liked Zachary Quinto, even if I can't help but think of him cutting someone's head open with his finger.

You need to change that mental image up for one of him choke-slamming Kirk.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Holy shit Quinto is gay? Was that, like, well-known? My sister will be so disappointed.

Salvation122 on
  • HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

Holy shit Quinto is gay? Was that, like, well-known? My sister will be so disappointed.

Well, you don't have to be gay to make an It Gets Better video.

Hachface on
  • LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Hachface wrote: »

Well, you don't have to be gay to make an It Gets Better video.

Lies, the president is on the gay takeover of America.

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2010

There's been rumors for a few years now. Even some suggesting that he and Chris Pine were a couple, and Paramount was desperately trying to keep it quiet.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

There's been rumors for a few years now. Even some suggesting that he and Chris Pine were a couple, and Paramount was desperately trying to keep it quiet.

From what I gather, he was/is following the Neil Patrick Harris trail: Never denying it or getting a beard gf, but also never making an outright statement that he is gay. He just refuses to comment on his personal life. He is in a glass closet so to speak. Mathew Boomer(Bryce) of White Collar does the same thing.

He will probably come out someday, but not because people outed him. Don't blame him either. Hollywood might be liberal, but gays don't get a lot of parts.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    "Don't worry. It gets better. One day, you can have a job that will force you to be in the closet, too!"

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Saint MadnessSaint Madness Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Multiple gay threads.

They said it would lead to polygamy

Saint Madness on
    edited November 2010
    To be fair, all threads are gay.

Burtletoy on
  • psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    What is a lame duck session and why do Americans have such silly names for congressional/governmental goings on (also including words like gubernatorial)?

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2010
    Gubernatorial rocks.

Burtletoy on
    edited November 2010
    The lame duck session is the hearings and such after the election but before the new members are sworn in. Almost nothing gets done most of the time because whoever gains seats can get better stuff if they stall until January.

Captain Carrot on
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The lame duck session is the hearings and such after the election but before the new members are sworn in. Almost nothing gets done most of the time because whoever gains seats can get better stuff if they stall until January.

It does carry the advantage of giving you congressman looking at retirement or at least another 2 years before they have to run again though.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    edited November 2010

It does carry the advantage of giving you congressman looking at retirement or at least another 2 years before they have to run again though.

And a bunch of people who are leaving office who have nothing left to lose, so are possibly willing to make hard choices they wouldn't make if they were up for election in two years.

It's a knife that cuts both ways, really.

MuddBudd on
    edited November 2010
    Except people leaving office don't want to piss off the firms that'll be employing them as lobbyists.

Captain Carrot on
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Except people leaving office don't want to piss off the firms that'll be employing them as lobbyists.

Not every law maker goes on to be a lobbyist and not all lobbies give a shit how you voted on DADT.

So unless you're looking for a job lobbying for Focus on the Family or something it won't matter to your new employer in the oil industry or what have you, not that they'd be hiring Democrats anyway.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • takyristakyris Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So, uh, did we see this?

"A divided federal appeals court allowed the armed forces on Monday to continue discharging openly gay and lesbian troops until at least next spring while the court reviews a challenge to the "don't ask, don't tell" law."

Not sure if that's actually new information, or just a clarification of what's in there already, but what does that do in re the memo about discharges?

takyris on
    edited November 2010
    takyris wrote: »
    So, uh, did we see this?

"A divided federal appeals court allowed the armed forces on Monday to continue discharging openly gay and lesbian troops until at least next spring while the court reviews a challenge to the "don't ask, don't tell" law."

Not sure if that's actually new information, or just a clarification of what's in there already, but what does that do in re the memo about discharges?

Shouldn't change anything about Gate's end run around DADT, as the military isn't actually required to investigate or discharge anyone.

This just means that the stay will last until the spring pending appeal. Doesn't stop congress from repealing.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The surge of Republican wins in courthouses and legislatures across the country is going to be very bad for gay rights. The supreme court justices in Iowa who ruled gay marriage bans as unconstitutional have been outsted, and Republicans now have a veto proof majority in New Hampshire. Looks like those two states are going to lose marriage rights too.

Melkster on
    edited November 2010
    Maybe I missed something somewhere, but since Iowa was 9-0 and three of those are gone, it would still be 6-3 for marriage.

Captain Carrot on
    edited November 2010
    Maybe I missed something somewhere, but since Iowa was 9-0 and three of those are gone, it would still be 6-3 for marriage.

MIRACLES.

Kagera on
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

You mean 6-3 against the will of the people!

(sigh)

citizen059 on
  • Saint MadnessSaint Madness Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The fact that you people elect your judges still fucking shocks me.

Saint Madness on
    edited November 2010
    Virginia may have arch-conservatives in charge of two thirds of Richmond, but I have yet to see a ballot with a judge on it.

Captain Carrot on
  • JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The fact that you people elect your judges still fucking shocks me.
    And it should, because it's fucking stupid. But those are the state courts, at least. The federal circuits are apointed as far as I know.

JihadJesus on
    edited November 2010
    Yup, all federal judges are appointed. Though the bankruptcy and tax court judges have ten-year terms instead of "subject to good behavior".

Captain Carrot on
  • Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So the republicans don't have a veto proof majority, so either obama will have to compromise or were gonna see a shut down government. Do you think republicans as a block are willing to hold the budget hostage over gay rights and abortion issues?

As it is, this seems like it's more of a stumbling block then a possibility of going backwards. I think educating and informing people over the next 2-4 years that gays are not mind-controlling invading alien monsters would be the best strategy in this kind of political climate.

Also judicial appointments should be by caged death matches.

Void Slayer on
    He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!