As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Gay Rights] Wyoming: What Republicans SHOULD be.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I can't believe that some districts appoint their judges, leaving them completely unaccountable.

Ideally, judges should spring fully-formed from the pure essence of Law itself.

jothki on
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    jothki wrote: »
    I can't believe that some districts appoint their judges, leaving them completely unaccountable.

Ideally, judges should spring fully-formed from the pure essence of Law itself.
    Sylvester-Stallone_Judge_l.jpg

?

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Iowa's system is more bizarre than that from what I've read. The Governor appoints the supreme court justices, and then the people get to validate them after their first term or some bizarre shit.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So the republicans don't have a veto proof majority, so either obama will have to compromise or were gonna see a shut down government. Do you think republicans as a block are willing to hold the budget hostage over gay rights and abortion issues?
    Absolutely. They did shit like that last time, and while they have a slightly bigger House majority now, they have seven fewer votes in the Senate.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Iowa's system is more bizarre than that from what I've read. The Governor appoints the supreme court justices, and then the people get to validate them after their first term or some bizarre shit.

That's how it works here in Florida. Take that as you will.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    Saint MadnessSaint Madness Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    wwtMask wrote: »

I take it disapprovingly.

The elections did turn up some encouraging results at state level, Hawaii might actually get to pass it's civil partnership bill now.

Saint Madness on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

CA must have something similar because our ballot just lists a bunch of judges and we get to choose 'yes' or 'no' with no information about them.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    MuddBudd wrote: »

CA must have something similar because our ballot just lists a bunch of judges and we get to choose 'yes' or 'no' with no information about them.

Oh yeah, that's always fun.

I vote no all the time. I mean fuck, I know nothing ABOUT these people!

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Kagera wrote: »

Oh yeah, that's always fun.

I vote no all the time. I mean fuck, I know nothing ABOUT these people!

I just left that part blank. I tried researching them (I voted by mail) but there's almost no record on these people, and there were like 15 of them. I didn't have time to do freaking background checks on then all.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    MuddBudd on
  • Options
    TalkcTalkc Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Love this. so much.

Thank you Mr Takei. You made my day.

Talkc on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Towleroad has a good wrap-up of the good and the bad on the gay rights front in yesterdays elections.

http://www.towleroad.com/2010/11/2010-election-wrap-gop-seizes-control-of-house-dems-keep-senate.html

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    Captain UltraCaptain Ultra low resolution pictures of birds Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

I'm pretty sure its called the Missouri System. They do it in Nebraska as well. Its not as good as just appointing people, but its better than straight election, I'd argue.

Captain Ultra on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Also, don't be too upset by the judge thing.

The outgoing Democratic governor gets to appoint their replacements.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Oh my god, I could listen to Takei say 'douchebag' forever. It's so awesome.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

I was under the understanding that governors typically fill vacancies mid-term because even part-term incumbency is typically sufficient to carry a judicial election.

MrMister on
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So my state (Iowa) has just voted in an anti-gay governor.

But even more awesome than that, we just voted out 3 of our supreme court justices (specifically the ones who struck down the law banning gay marriage). I didn't even know we could do that.

Bob Vanderplaats just had his stupid fucking face on TV talking about how it was a "victory for liberty."

How the fuck can taking away specific rights from specific people be defined in anyone's backward-ass mind as 'liberty'? Whose liberty?

I suspect that if the majority of people will vote out those justices, then a majority will probably proceed to pass an amendment. I am really fucking starting to hate these people.

Ugh!

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

I keep waiting for him to unleash a tirade of insults, not unlike the final scenes of National Lampoons Christmas Vacation. Alas, it doesn't happen.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

But even more awesome than that, we just voted out 3 of our supreme court justices (specifically the ones who struck down the law banning gay marriage). I didn't even know we could do that.

Bob Vanderplaats just had his stupid fucking face on TV talking about how it was a "victory for liberty."

How the fuck can taking away specific rights from specific people be defined in anyone's backward-ass mind as 'liberty'? Whose liberty?

I suspect that if the majority of people will vote out those justices, then a majority will probably proceed to pass an amendment. I am really fucking starting to hate these people.

Ugh!

As I said before. The outgoing governor gets to appoint the replacement judges.

As for the amendment, I wish you luck if they try it, but I don't see it getting anywhere. After marriage being legal for so long, I doubt they could pull it off.

And please, remember, a majority of people didn't vote out those justices. They just had more people who actually paid attention to the judicial race. Most normal people are going to gloss over the judicial shit, and the NOM assholes were counting on that.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

I keep waiting for him to unleash a tirade of insults, not unlike the final scenes of National Lampoons Christmas Vacation. Alas, it doesn't happen.

He's a gent, I doubt it ever will happen.

Now Shatner on the other hand...

Saint Madness on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Ugh!

As I said before. The outgoing governor gets to appoint the replacement judges.

As for the amendment, I wish you luck if they try it, but I don't see it getting anywhere. After marriage being legal for so long, I doubt they could pull it off.

And please, remember, a majority of people didn't vote out those justices. They just had more people who actually paid attention to the judicial race. Most normal people are going to gloss over the judicial shit, and the NOM assholes were counting on that.

The outgoing governor may get to appoint the justices. Doesn't mean they'll be approved. He may forgo it. Besides, I'm pretty sure that he's the one who signed the anti-marriage bill into law in the first place.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Regardless, this is a battle, not the war. The outcome isn't set, not by a long shot.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Ugh!

Liberty is a buzz word that Republican's have worn out so much that it no longer has any meaning. Bear in mind that this is the party that introduced state surveillance in a bill called the "Patriot Act".

It's bollocks.

And yeah, Iowa is about to get really ugly. You know what the worst thing about it is? NOM, the group behind ousting these judges, has completely disregarded state laws on campaign finance for well over a year now. They're an actual group of criminals, a group of criminals ousting members of the judiciary. What the fuck.

Saint Madness on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It's liberty from thinking icky gay sex exists.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I'm glad to see that meg wittman pissed away 140 million dollars on an unsuccessful campaign though. Stupid bitch.

I'm gonna have to look up NOM now. Maybe I can pass out some fliers or submit an article to our paper detailing their exploits. Fuckers.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I'm glad to see that meg wittman pissed away 140 million dollars on an unsuccessful campaign though. Stupid bitch.

Me too.

And she lost a housekeeper.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Besides, I'm pretty sure that he's the one who signed the anti-marriage bill into law in the first place.
    I googled "chet culver anti-gay" and all I found was a couple of articles on him being glad the anti-marriage amendment failed. And even if he's iffy on the issue, he could reappoint them out of spite.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I presume this thread has heard the news re: California's Attorney General election.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Jragghen wrote: »
    I presume this thread has heard the news re: California's Attorney General election.

Did something change? Last I heard Harris (a gay ally) had won.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

I hadn't, but according to one article I just looked up, it's Harris (D) leading by a slim margin with votes still to be counted; she doesn't want to appeal the decision striking down the gay marriage ban while the other guy does. Any more recent news that I missed?

KalTorak on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    KalTorak wrote: »

I hadn't, but according to one article I just looked up, it's Harris (D) leading by a slim margin with votes still to be counted; she doesn't want to appeal the decision striking down the gay marriage ban while the other guy does. Any more recent news that I missed?

Nope, that's what I was referring to.

So, looks like the appeal won't happen.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    KalTorak wrote: »

Nope, that's what I was referring to.

So, looks like the appeal won't happen.

We still don't know, we have to wait for Dec. and see what standing the anti-marriage assholes have. If none, and Harris is in charge, the yes, it's over. At least in CA, for now.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Here's more good news.

Record number of LGBT candidates elected to office
    The Gay & Lesbian Victory Fund today announced that more openly LGBT candidates won election to public office in the U.S. in 2010 than in any year in America’s history.

At least 106 of the group’s record-breaking 164 endorsed candidates were winners as of Wednesday morning, including Providence, R.I., Mayor David Cicilline (pictured), who will become the fourth openly gay Member of Congress when the House convenes in January.

Victory Fund President and CEO Chuck Wolfe issued the following statement about the group’s success:

“There is no sugar-coating the loss of so many of our straight allies in Congress, but we can be proud that our community continues to expand its voice at all levels of government in America. Out public officials are having a sizable impact on the local, state and national debates about LGBT equality. Increasing their numbers is a vital part of a long-term strategy to change America’s politics and make our country freer and fairer for everyone. We will continue to focus on training committed, qualified candidates, and we will work hard to get them elected to public office.”

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    This kind of thing makes me wish I knew how to start a career in politics or political journalism.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Here's more good news.

Record number of LGBT candidates elected to office
    The Gay & Lesbian Victory Fund today announced that more openly LGBT candidates won election to public office in the U.S. in 2010 than in any year in America’s history.

At least 106 of the group’s record-breaking 164 endorsed candidates were winners as of Wednesday morning, including Providence, R.I., Mayor David Cicilline (pictured), who will become the fourth openly gay Member of Congress when the House convenes in January.

Victory Fund President and CEO Chuck Wolfe issued the following statement about the group’s success:

“There is no sugar-coating the loss of so many of our straight allies in Congress, but we can be proud that our community continues to expand its voice at all levels of government in America. Out public officials are having a sizable impact on the local, state and national debates about LGBT equality. Increasing their numbers is a vital part of a long-term strategy to change America’s politics and make our country freer and fairer for everyone. We will continue to focus on training committed, qualified candidates, and we will work hard to get them elected to public office.”

Judging by all the past outed homophobes, maybe that headline should say "openly-LGBT candidates."

KalTorak on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) said Wednesday that a critical Defense Department authorization measure that contains a repeal of the controversial "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" (DADT) policy banning openly gay Americans from serving in the military could possibly be squeezed into a short lame-duck Senate session, but that its ultimate fate will depend on Republican cooperation.

The majority leader said he spoke earlier Wednesday with Armed Services Committee Chairman Carl Levin (D-Mich.), and that Levin is "anxious" to get the proposal to a Senate vote when members reconvene on Nov. 15. But Republicans will first have to agree to a procedural process, which could take longer than the Senate is willing to stay in session before Christmas approaches.
    http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/127541-reid-dont-ask-dont-tell-repeal-depends-on-gop-cooperation

Awesome.

From - We're going to end X!

to - We're going to end X according to this and only this byzantine legislative process, while ignoring all other possible routes to the same goal!

to - We'll maybe get around to repealing X through that process we were talking about. You know, as long as it doesn't get in the way of my Christmas shopping."

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    McCain is still hell bent on stopping DADT repeal.

Saint Madness on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    "will depend on Republican cooperation" = "not going to happen"

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Where did Reid come up with a crazy phrase like "Republican cooperation"?

KalTorak on
  • Options
    Orochi_RockmanOrochi_Rockman __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010
    BubbaT wrote: »
    Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) said Wednesday that a critical Defense Department authorization measure that contains a repeal of the controversial "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" (DADT) policy banning openly gay Americans from serving in the military could possibly be squeezed into a short lame-duck Senate session, but that its ultimate fate will depend on Republican cooperation.

The majority leader said he spoke earlier Wednesday with Armed Services Committee Chairman Carl Levin (D-Mich.), and that Levin is "anxious" to get the proposal to a Senate vote when members reconvene on Nov. 15. But Republicans will first have to agree to a procedural process, which could take longer than the Senate is willing to stay in session before Christmas approaches.
    http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/127541-reid-dont-ask-dont-tell-repeal-depends-on-gop-cooperation

Awesome.

From - We're going to end X!

to - We're going to end X according to this and only this byzantine legislative process, while ignoring all other possible routes to the same goal!

to - We'll maybe get around to repealing X through that process we were talking about. You know, if there's nothing good is on TV."

to - Vote for us in 2012 and we'll end X.

Orochi_Rockman on