As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Xavier's Institute For Higher Burning --School Thread

• Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2010
    oh my god I'm only like two weeks away from being able to rest and play a game and not be stressed the fuck out

at least for a couple weeks

holy fuck I'm going out of my head, I'm so fucking tired

I've basically been working non-stop for the past six weeks, with a single day off on Thanksgiving spent driving around to relatives' houses and eating and sleeping and then waking up and then driving to the next place to eat and sleep

seriously, my eyeballs feel like they are full of glue and my brain is oatmeal at this point

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Fuck yeah I just got a chunk of VA school allowance

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    wondering if I should get actual textbooks or get the ebooks to use on my netbook

Weaver on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    wait for a few lectures and see how much they're used

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Well it's moot now, two of my classes don't have the books in electronic format, unless I missed it somewhere, and my 3rd class still hasn't selected a textbook yet.

Weaver on
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Bit more than a week left of this Hell.

Linear Algebra tomorrow, Inorganic Chemistry in about a week.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    ahh, my stats final and my bio final are tomorrow

curiously, i have no grade listed for my stats project and a 0 for my stats final

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    ApollohApolloh Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I dropped two of my classes. Mannnnnn

Apolloh on
    smb3banner.png
    XBLGT:Banzeye SC2: Apollo.394
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    this late in the semester the only thing we're allowed to do is withdraw entirely

Dead Legend on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I count myself pretty lucky. Can never do this again however.

Apolloh on
    smb3banner.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    i'd say

it would suck to have to drop a class this late, but if it was gonna hurt you i'd say it's better than taking the hit

Dead Legend on
  • Options
    thanimationsthanimations Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    By the end of tonight I'll be done with half of my finals, and the other two aren't until Tuesday of next week. What's this? Free time?

thanimations on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    i'd say

it would suck to have to drop a class this late, but if it was gonna hurt you i'd say it's better than taking the hit

Basically. Just looks bad and it's a waste of money. However...watching your GPA get ruined is notsogood.

Apolloh on
    smb3banner.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    that's okay, we have a 6 drop limit, and i've always dropped classes (like two) before the limit

and then the one class i test out of i drop and it's listed as a drop

which i find bullshit

Dead Legend on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Thank you VA, my tuition balance is now zero.

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    i got a 95 on that project!

and according to the email he sent out with the grade, ours must have been one of the better ones because a lot of the problems he cited the class for including leaving out research questions, dependent/independent variables, test values, not doing problems entirely, etc.

so my partner and i did a project over 5 hours in one afternoon and beasted the hell out of it, while most of the class did their project over the course of a week.

that is fucking awesome.

Dead Legend on
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Only a research proposal to finish, an exam to write and an exam to supervise and then it's vacation time!

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Is anyone here from Sweden?

I want to know which is better: Skövde or Blekinge?
    Their study programmes are pretty much the same from what I've seen, but I'd still like to know which place would be better to live in.
    Assuming I get to even apply.

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    first exam of law school tomorrow. not sure if i'm overconfident or actually prepared.

satansfingers on
  • Options
    MarthMarth Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I got a statistics tutoring job next semester, hopefully I can handle that and a news job with the campus radio station and maybe sneaking in some fencing practices here and there. Along with 17 hours of school.
    FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Marth on
    Steam PSN LoL: SadSchaub Battle.net: SadSchaub#1357
  • Options
    Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    first exam of law school tomorrow. not sure if i'm overconfident or actually prepared.

What class was it again?

I've got my 3rd exam this week tomorrow, then nothing until Monday and Thursday next week.

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    property is tomorrow. i've spent today attempting his old practice tests, but i couldn't do all of any of them due to the fact that he changes the class so much every year (for instance we basically skipped rent control, which he seems to normally focus on, and instead spent that time on homelessness). i think i sort of know this shit though? i guess we'll see.

satansfingers on
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I finished my Med Term with a c+, 2 points away from a b-. Either way, I passed. Now I just have to worry about Algebra

Bucketman on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    OCEAN H is the key to success.

Evil_Reaver on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    the hell is ocean h

satansfingers on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    All of the elements of adverse possession (Open, continuous, exclusive, actual, notorious, hostile).

Evil_Reaver on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    the formulation our professor uses is worded a little differently, as four rules (some with multiple components)

also it's open book

satansfingers on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Oh well, there you go.

I had my property final yesterday. I wrote 4300 words about adverse possession and nuisance. It was bad ass.

Evil_Reaver on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    End of semester and it's looking at straight B's this semester.

Yeah, I could study really, really, hard and might get an A in one of my classes but I rather read a book.

Though, over hearing my classmates is kind of scary. I hear a lot of comments like "After all the work I put in this class, I'm happy with a C!" and I'm thinking to myself how in the world can anyone get lower then a B when all I really haven't put in a lot of effort to get my B.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I take it that your question is rhetorical, but the amount of time you spend on a class doesnt necessarily reflect in your letter grade. Sometimes you just get the material, or you don't.

CptKemzik on
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Man, reflecting on this past semester.... my school is pretty retarded. I get the feeling that the things my professors have done would have gotten them in a lot of trouble had they taught at the university I previously attended.

For example. In my math course, during our last test there were two slightly different versions of the test handed out. In one of the versions, the teacher forgot to include two test pages which were located in the middle of the test. Afterward she noticed this, and then decided to nullify those two pages entirely.
    What this effectively did was give those students who were lucky enough to get the version without extra pages a huge time advantage.

I personally had plenty of time, and got a good grade so it didn't affect me directly... however you can't deny that her incompetence gave half the class an unfair advantage on something worth not a trivial amount of our final grade.

(my outrage about this actually has me conflicted - the math teacher is really hot and a nice person, and I am a shallow, shallow man.)

Another example of retardation is what happened in my electricity class. Only this time it was 100% to my benefit. During the second test most of the class performed abysmally. It was all simple circuit analysis... I got perfect on these questions. The professor decides that whoever did not get 12/12 on the last circuit analysis question gets a chance to write a bonus question worth 12 marks. Basically; penalizing anyone who actually was smart enough to get the question correct.

Well, people bitched about this obviously. So he made this bonus question available to everyone. And then proceeded to make it impossibly* hard, to the point where only 4 out of 55 people in the class got it correct, each of whom cannot possibly have fucked up the question on the test. Basically.... the entire point of him making that bonus question; to bring up the grades of the class, was circumvented and only benefited the top 4 students in the class. Bravo, brilliant planning.

*and by impossibly hard I mean fucking simple. I got 12/12 on the bonus question :D

Al_wat on
  • Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Do you go to UofT Al_wat? I have a bunch of friends there. And it sounds like you're in some engineering program.

finnith on
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    ahh, this biology review is making things seem entirely simple

but the answers do seem like common sense

last test i took my time and was pretty much delirious from lack of sleep but i got my highest grade yet, just by going slow and eliminating what i could. think the same strategy will help here too, rather than stressing out about all the science terms. i can recognize most of this stuff, just can't distinguish between a lot.

stats test...not a whole lot needed for the grade i need. will need a 76 now on the final to get a B, but only 10 points to get a C. soooooo not really gonna stress too hard about that one. if i can get the right answers sorted out and perform the analysis right, good deal. if i can't, not too big a deal.

Dead Legend on
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Working on a holiday mini-project with a small scholarship attached. I'm currently running 68 consecutive BLAST analyses on some genome data D:

Oh, and to whoever it is in the faculty's Human Resources department that has held up my first two-week payment until the beginning of the fifth week, this one's for you.

Butler on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Who has nothing to do except study until Tuesday exams?

This guy.

thanimations on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

This guy.

Who should do nothing but study til tuesday but likely won't?

This guy.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    TheStig wrote: »

This guy.

Who should do nothing but study til tuesday but likely won't?

This guy.

Hell yeah procrastinating!

I've been waiting all semester to try Minecraft and Civilization V.

thanimations on
  • Options
    KabitzyKabitzy find me in Monsbaiya Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Cumulative biology final on Friday and then this semester is a wrap.

Also on my U.S. history final our teacher gave us delicious answer choices, like Voldemort and Tom Riddle. Took everything in me not to use them as my answers.

Kabitzy on
    W7ARG.png Don't try and sell me any junk.
    Bother me on steam: kabbypan
  • Options
    CalliusCallius Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Someone write my paper for me, thanks.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    UlisesUlises Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    what's it on

history?