As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Xavier's Institute For Higher Burning --School Thread

• ApollohApolloh Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Looks like i'm heading to China next Spring!

Apolloh on
    smb3banner.png
    XBLGT:Banzeye SC2: Apollo.394
  • Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    3 finals down, 2 to go.

I couldn't finish my contracts final today. It was 7 multiple choice and short answer questions followed by 4 essays... all in the time span of 3 1/2 hours. It just wasn't possible to get everything finished. I prioritized and wrote as much as I could on 3 of the essays but I had to bullet point the 4th one just to get some points.

I also think I wrote way too much about promissory estoppel on two of the essays, but whatever. It's over. Only civil procedure and federal taxation left next week and then I'm freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee... for 3 weeks.

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Here's what the manager of my favorite wine store told me just now when I told him I was done with my accounting final:

"Yeah, I was looking for a new bookkeeper a while back, and I had three candidates. I asked them all the same question: "what's 12 times 12?

The first one responded, '132'

The second one responded, '156'

and the third responded, '144'

So I gave the first one a job in my accounts payable department, the second a job in accounts receivable, and I sent the third one a polite note thanking them for applying."

love that guy

MrMonroe on
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    finnith wrote: »
    Do you go to UofT Al_wat? I have a bunch of friends there. And it sounds like you're in some engineering program.

Durham college in Whitby. Taking Power Engineering Technician course - basically studying to work for OPG, Bruce power, or whoever.

Its a LOT easier than engineering. I took Engineering at UoGuelph a few years ago - didn't graduate though.

Al_wat on
    edited December 2010
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    Here's what the manager of my favorite wine store told me just now when I told him I was done with my accounting final:

"Yeah, I was looking for a new bookkeeper a while back, and I had three candidates. I asked them all the same question: "what's 12 times 12?

The first one responded, '132'

The second one responded, '156'

and the third responded, '144'

So I gave the first one a job in my accounts payable department, the second a job in accounts receivable, and I sent the third one a polite note thanking them for applying."

love that guy

I really wish I didn't know the business and tax reasons for why that's funny.

But I do.

And that shit is hilarious.

Evil_Reaver on
  • KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Ugh, I've got this proposal due tomorrow, and I can't motivate myself to finish it.

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2010
    my graduate chair emailed me asking about specifics for the medical exemption i got when i dropped a course

this has been the worst semester

considering dropping the ma, selling everything i own and set up shop outside the liquor store begging for toonies

Orikaeshigitae on
  • skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    my graduate chair emailed me asking about specifics for the medical exemption i got when i dropped a course

considering dropping the ma, selling everything i own and set up shop outside the liquor store begging for toonies

Are they allowed to do that? O_o Ask bout the medical exemption I mean...

skettios on
  • CalliusCallius Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Ulises wrote: »
    what's it on

history?

pfft
    Yeah... slogging through 30 pages worth of condensed reading notes is going to suck

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
    edited December 2010
    skettios wrote: »

there doesn't seem to be any rule prohibiting it, although i view it as a gross violation of privacy

Orikaeshigitae on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

there doesn't seem to be any rule prohibiting it, although i view it as a gross violation of privacy

that seems extremely not kosher

talk to a counselor or lawyer not kosher

PiptheFair on
    edited December 2010
    PiptheFair wrote: »

that seems extremely not kosher

talk to a counselor or lawyer not kosher

Exactly
    Maybe re-read the form for it? maybe it's on there somewhere..

I withdrew from 2 classes due to a medical exemption before.. Pretty sure I didn't have to tell my profs why. I did tell one of them because I respected him a bunch, he was a cool guy, and he was my advisor.

skettios on
    edited December 2010
    rereading his email, he actually asked for an explanation of how medical reasons made me miss class

since they're the same reasons, it ends up being 'explain your medical exemption' but i'm not sure he knew that

Orikaeshigitae on
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    passed the segment 2 portion of driver's ed
    just gotta take a road test for my level two license, and when I'm 18 I'll get my full license

Antimatter on
    edited December 2010
    rereading his email, he actually asked for an explanation of how medical reasons made me miss class

since they're the same reasons, it ends up being 'explain your medical exemption' but i'm not sure he knew that

can you like, politely decline?

Al_wat on
    edited December 2010
    Antimatter wrote: »
    passed the segment 2 portion of driver's ed
    just gotta take a road test for my level two license, and when I'm 18 I'll get my full license

sweet

oh shit i just realized i need to do another drivers test before april or my license expires

Al_wat on
  • TheidarTheidar Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Orik,
    In the US anyway, you should be able to politely tell him to fuck off and if he presses further you could get him in trouble with the school administration or even sue him for harassment.

I assume Canada has similar privacy rights regarding health information.

Theidar on
    Gamertag: Theidar
    Wii Friend Code: 0072 4984 2399 2126
    PSN ID : Theidar
    Facebook
    Behold the annhilation of the extraterrestrial and the rise of the machines.
    Hail Satan!
    WISHLIST
    edited December 2010
    i already replied to his email with the full monty. if he wants to know the sordid details of my life, whatever. i doubt i'll be long in this school any way.

i wish i'd waited and taken your advice, but it's been that sort of day.

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited December 2010
    no, when you ask for a medical exemption from a school requirement they're perfectly justified in asking why you needed it

a sufficient response is usually, "here is a letter from my physician excusing me"

but they're perfectly entitled to ask for it

MrMonroe on
  • satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    i honestly feel like i rocked my property final, but everyone i've talked to was really freaked out and like didn't finish and shit, so now i'm concerned that i'm just dumb enough to think i rocked it but in fact i did not recognize a bunch of issues

satansfingers on
  • queuewindowqueuewindow Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    that has happened to me literally every time i thought i did well on an exam in the last 6 years

queuewindow on
  • CalliusCallius Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    no, when you ask for a medical exemption from a school requirement they're perfectly justified in asking why you needed it

a sufficient response is usually, "here is a letter from my physician excusing me"

I believe that this isn't the school office requesting information on why he wants a medical exemption; rather, it is a specific teacher (the chair of the department, it sounds) asking for additional information.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
    edited December 2010
    Callius wrote: »

I believe that this isn't the school office requesting information on why he wants a medical exemption; rather, it is a specific teacher (the chair of the department, it sounds) asking for additional information.

I was under the impression that it was the chair of his thesis evaluation committee that was asking for the info, in which case it would be perfectly legitimate

if it was just some tool who's in charge of the department asking for proof then yes, he's just being a tool

MrMonroe on
  • TheidarTheidar Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Callius wrote: »

That was my understanding as well, that Orik had been granted an medical exemption by the school and now some toolbox of a prof was demanding more details from him.

Theidar on
    Gamertag: Theidar
    Wii Friend Code: 0072 4984 2399 2126
    PSN ID : Theidar
    Facebook
    Behold the annhilation of the extraterrestrial and the rise of the machines.
    Hail Satan!
    WISHLIST
  • 101101 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Urgh I am filling out like 3 different industry year placements now.

Kill
    Me

Also where is the job thread

101 on
  • CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    This week i wrapped up all my major papers and projects and had my greek final yesterday. Now all I have are three exams spread out for next week, only of which two I have to really review to any capacity. Feels weird to have pure free time again that doesn't involve the guilt of putting off work.

CptKemzik on
    edited December 2010
    the practical benefits of having so much time between finals are becoming less pronounced as the reality of two and a half weeks of finals sets in

i am ready to check out and i still have a week and a half to go

satansfingers on
    edited December 2010
    No joke, man. I had three finals this week and two next week. My most recent final was yesterday but my next one isn't until Monday and then Thursday after that.

Lots of time to study, right?

Nah. I didn't do anything school related yesterday afternoon and despite my intentions of at least reading my outline for Monday's final today, I sat around and watched Gangland all afternoon.

Evil_Reaver on
    edited December 2010
    i woke up today and was just like "nah i pass on this, see you tomorrow life"

satansfingers on
  • AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm going to motherfucking college, bitches!!

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    AMP'd wrote: »

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOORAAYYYYYY THAT IS SO AWESOME

Langly on
    edited December 2010
    above: every post on my facebook wall

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    AMP'd wrote: »

Awwwwww yeeaaah bro!

Solar on
  • BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    congratulations

BugBoy on
    edited December 2010
    grats!

skettios on
    edited December 2010
    thanks guys

this is the greatest thing

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2010
    which school you going to? if you mentioned it already, sorry for missing it

skettios on
  • BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Do try to not flunk all of your courses.

Baidol on
    Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
    edited December 2010
    which school you going to? if you mentioned it already, sorry for missing it

No, I didn't mention it. Dartmouth.

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BorommakotBorommakot Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Want. This. Internship.
    Bugatti Veyron

Borommakot on
This discussion has been closed.