As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Emotion and Art

ValestiValesti Registered User new member
edited November 2010 in Artist's Corner
I just want to say, after typing the name of this topic/thread, I arduously mulled through a tomegathericon of Edgar Allen Poe's complete works, vying in absolute earnest to quote him exactly, as I prefer to do. However, I could not find the word-for-word of what I wished, so thus, I will do my best to reiterate it strictly from memory;

"Regardless of intention or purpose, art will always carry an ethical and moral message to any whom behold it."

It is by this creed I became at first, an author--I will however go on record as stating I am not an editor by any length--longing, not to force thoughts or opinions upon others, but to help them express their own. As such, the concision is that I write about batshit absurdity to see what kinds of morals or messages can be gathered out of a Biomechanical Robot Jesus battling Space Dragons that come from Hell. However, I will not plug my work in any sense in that regard, because I would feel ashamed to, as I said, shove something down someone's throat.

I also would like to say that the term "art" is, in fact, used in the broadest of sense in this regard. Of every watering hole on this no-longer-quite Green Earth, whether analog, lucid, digital or otherwise, this seems to be the place to put this. There is a potent aura of ancient artistic blood coagulating in this place, viewing these pixelated interpretations of one individual's thoughts.

Or, in at least this post's context, a rather unconscious one. In keeping with the old saying a picture is worth a thousand words, I can only hope that there are somehow exactly one thousand words in this.

---

Every morning when you wake up, do you ever stop and think? I didn't this morning... at first.

Far more concerned with the erupting contents of my stomach's core, due to a horrendous case of Crohn's Disease which has convalesced into Colon Cancer (long story: http://duck.hidoshi.com/airforce.rtf short story: the US government indirectly triggered a dormant gene that gestated, over time, into cancer that runs in my family).

But this morning I didn't know why I woke up. It was odd, like, realizing sentience, though I am 25 years of age in this writing. In that state of "why are things this way?," unhindered by the commonstance of waking up and checking CNN, XKCD, penny-arcade, and youtube, a sudden epiphany struck my mind in that state. It was as though I unknowingly raised a lightning rod contactable only by some divine wisdom, and thus, revelry was to ensue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nGQ1a3uSfA

In this making, I decided on no crew, no planning, no script, no thing would be present within it but the raw eccentricy of "this is who I am, the moment just before society's chains are fasted upon my psyche." In that regard, I think it speaks for itself.

Something else strange happened immediately thereafter. Jumpin' on to a forum, I found a PM from a person I know only from the interwebs, but is a young man of 16 years age diagnosed with bipolar, and I had not heard from him in a long time. His message was a blatant plea for help, regarding a habit of slashing at his own skin.

An oddness overcame me that immediately thereupon such a vulgar expulsion of hatred toward another human being, something truthfully gripped at my heart (as I type these specific words, I don't know why, but I am beginnign to cry, and my handles tremble), and told me to at least say something to help him. These are words I wish to share to any who would hear them:

"To anybody who has responded to you with immediate over abundance of any emotion, whatever they say is wrong. Know this first; 'without Science, Religion is Ignorant; yet without Religion, Science is Blind.' Psychologically when the human body is stricken with pain, their brain releases chemicals to lessen the blow. But take that to an extreme, for it is a road you have started upon.
"For whatever reason, you are reading this, and all I can tell you is that you should consider whom else can lay blade upon your flesh to draw its blood. If none than you have, then what have you to fear from life? You are the one who is strong, and your own hands have shown a measure of it, but you must take it into another direction--bloodstained hands do no man any good."

Now, I had that game CD for a very long time, years in fact. I specifically went to go after it for some reason. In following that message I sent, I reached for an old biblical book with a stack of paper to draw something. I hadn't touched a drawing tool upon actual paper with an actual tool for ten years, and decided to just not think and to, instead, do.

I will not tout my art of any sort. I will say that I had some eccentric art teachers that enjoyed the fancy that comes out of my mind and its interpretation, but, as broadest as "art" is used in this topic, it's gonna have to be for someone to make sense of this.

http://i.imgur.com/T6SLX.jpg

Cheers to anybody who can see light within the chaos.
---

Valesti on

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2010
    I uh....

I have an inkling that you aren't looking for the structured critique that this board is mostly based on, I was sort of reminded of this community clip: http://www.thedailybeast.com/video/item/community-abed-makes-a-meta-movie/ Are you looking for critique?

If you are trying to accomplish a viewer having some Idea of whats going on, I can tell you I only have the most slight understanding of whatever the hell you are talking about, and I'm no stranger to words. Your smoking of weed, however, is not surprising.

Maybe other people will get whatever is happening here and I am simply missing something.

Iruka on
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I agree with Iruka.

I think you've gone down an art rabbit hole that I don't think you'll find much appreciation for here. Its not wrong but this forum tends a different direction.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited November 2010
    This thread makes me sad.

And angry.

DMAC on
  • Options
    Guy BellGuy Bell Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Wow. All those hours and years that I spent learning and practicing. Relationships that fell apart because I was selfish with my drawing time. Jobs that I didn't get promotions in because I chose to stay up all night and work on my skills. And...I could have just sat in the backyard and smoked weed.

Guy Bell on
  • Options
    thejazzmanthejazzman Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Please never write like this/make videos like this. You think this stuff is beautiful and intelligent. It's terrible, you sound like an incredibly pretentious 14 year old who can't write for shit. I swear to god, try to think back and work out if anybody ever told you this style of writing was good, who wasn't in an awkward position (mother, girlfriend, etc).

This is truly truly terrible, never do this again. And for the love of god, I know you think you're Jack Kerouac, you are not, stop this, you will embarrass yourself.

(I swear to you, I love to encourage people to improve their art, I make tutorials for animators, spend like an hour a day replying to emails about how to get into the industry or blah blah blah, I am not a negative person).

thejazzman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    This nonsense makes my handles tremble too.

Grenn on
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    This really speaks to me.

rts on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    This sort of puerile nonsense is one of the most over-valued and over-supplied commodities on the internet.
    It isn't particularly intelligent or enlightening, it's just boring. Call back when you've smoked a little less weed and put a little more effort into your art.

Mustang on
  • Options
    AlecxantAlecxant Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    weed shouldn't be blamed for this atrocity. It takes something else to write that much, and yet say nothing at all.

Alecxant on
  • Options
    ParadiseParadise Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Advice: draw/paint more; talk (a lot) less.

Paradise on
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited November 2010
    All right. Shuttin' this down.

DMAC on
This discussion has been closed.