Options

Sometimes Books Are Turned Into Things that Move...

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited November 2010
    Wishpig wrote: »
    Keith wrote: »
    And to stand out Thor needs to be better then the competition. So I'm hoping everyother damn superhero film coming out sucks so Thor can smell like roses. If it's generally considered the best superhero film of the summer it will do wonders for my fav character.

Being "better than the competition" doesn't mean "being better than the movies that are out at the same time"

If every other superhero movie coming out at the same time sucks (which they probably won't) and Thor is mediocre (which probably won't be), guess what. Thor would still be a mediocre movie.

Htown is 100% correct in saying that what you're saying is dumb and if you honestly believe what you're saying then you're pretty dumb, too

Hoping that things suck instead of hoping that everything's great just because you want a sense of fanboy entitlement is super stupid

No need to go into name calling... you think how I feel is dumb, fine, but don't call me personally dumb. Unless you've never been wrong in your life. Then you have the privilege of doing that. Something tells me that ain't the case though.

Listen it's all one big competition, movies, Marvel vs DC, what franchises live and die. Cutting out the competition is a pretty fucking basic concept. Hardly a "dumb" one either.

The worst case scenario is Thor's movie sucks. It is bashed, left in the dust by the better superhero films (and just other films out in general), and because of such the franchise goes nowhere but backwards.

Best case scenario Thor's movie is awesome and gets great recognition and sales.

Most likely scenario Thor's movie is just ok. In which case marvel's pushing of the Thor franchise will be in danger.

Thor isn't a widely popular character. He can't make money off of his name alone like Wolverine. Having just an OK movie that doesn't stand out amongst other films of the summer will lead to utter failure. The more movies equal or better in quality the more trouble for Thor. The more movies that are worse then Thor the better for Thor.

Say Thor gets an unimpressive 70% on rottentomatoes and earned a decent amount of money. Say Green Lantern got a 50% and made considerably less.

Sure Thor may not be fantastic, but fuck, did better then Green Lantern. Higher ups do take that shit into account, how it held up against rivals.

Ohhhhh looking back... I think your misunderstanding me. I'm not talking JUST the movie here. If it's a mediocre film it is indeed a mediocre film. No, I'm talking BIG picture. The success of the franchise. If Thor fails as a movie, the future of his franchise being carried outside of the avengers is at risk. Like I said many times, he isn't that popular, his future success really does rely on this movie.

This has nothing to do with fanboy entitlement, this has everything to do with me looking at every bit and piece that could keep the franchise from drowning if the movie isn't great. Just doing better then the rest is one of those little bits.

You said
    And to stand out Thor needs to be better then the competition. So I'm hoping everyother damn superhero film coming out sucks so Thor can smell like roses. If it's generally considered the best superhero film of the summer it will do wonders for my fav character.

I'm a pessimist so I say Thor's chances of being the only superhero movie to not suck over the summer is higher then the chances to be super uber amazing.

Which means you think that if everything else sucks and Thor doesn't (but isn't amazing), it'll do wonders for the franchise. Which it won't. A year later people won't think "Man, Thor wasn't the best movie but it was better than the stuff that came out at the same time! Maybe I'll rewatch it"

If it's a good movie and it does well it will help the franchise regardless of how other movies do.

It comes out May 6th. Green Lantern comes out June 17th. Captain America comes out July 22nd. They each have a month between them, which means they're not even competing directly.

If anything, Thor has the advantage by coming out first. If Thor sucks, people will be hesitant to see the other superhero movies. If Thor and GL suck, Captain America will be in trouble.

Hell, the thing that should have you worried for Thor is the Tyler Perry movie that comes out two weeks before it. And Captain America has to worry about Harry Potter

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'd completely forgotten that Thor and Cap both come out next year. Next summer is going to be awesome.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited November 2010
    also I'll have you know that I am absolutely right about everything

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    You said

I'm a pessimist so I say Thor's chances of being the only superhero movie to not suck over the summer is higher then the chances to be super uber amazing.

Which means you think that if everything else sucks and Thor doesn't (but isn't amazing), it'll do wonders for the franchise. Which it won't. A year later people won't think "Man, Thor wasn't the best movie but it was better than the stuff that came out at the same time! Maybe I'll rewatch it"

If it's a good movie and it does well it will help the franchise regardless of how other movies do.

It comes out May 6th. Green Lantern comes out June 17th. Captain America comes out July 22nd. They each have a month between them, which means they're not even competing directly.

If anything, Thor has the advantage by coming out first. If Thor sucks, people will be hesitant to see the other superhero movies. If Thor and GL suck, Captain America will be in trouble.

Hell, the thing that should have you worried for Thor is the Tyler Perry movie that comes out two weeks before it. And Captain America has to worry about Harry Potter
    Well first off you can't tell me what I'm thinking, as I'm fairly aware of what I'm thinking and that little quoted section ain't it. I guess I'm explaining it wrong because that's not what I mean.

I'm not talking about Joe the plumber debating if he wants to watch it a year later, I'm talking about the big wigs studying every little factor of it's success or failure and what direction they're gonna go in.

Smelling like roses is too strong of a phrase, replace that with "won't look as bad." Thats a better fit.

Yes I am very happy Thor's coming out so early. But given the immense competition between superhero films, I'm concerned at how it will stack up to other summer films when it's all said and done. It's pretty certain that the heads of marvel/Disney will be.
    also I'll have you know that I am absolutely right about everything

Lol, fair enough.

Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Wishpig, remember that Iron Man and The Dark Knight came out fairly close to each other.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Wishpig, remember that Iron Man and The Dark Knight came out fairly close to each other.

Both were stellar movies. A situation like that is rare. I refuse to get my hopes up and predict Thor being on that level of greatness.

Lets face it the sucky superhero films to good superhero films ratio is pretty damn uneven. Chances of Green Lantern or Thor being nearly as good as Iron Man or Dark Knight are slim.

Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.

• Options
    Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Wishpig the quality of the movie has virtually no bearing on whether or not there's going to be a sequel. it's entirely dependent on it's performance at the box-office, and plenty of shitty movies have performed incredibly well despite terrible reviews.

in other news, Wolverine 2 is gonna be called "The Wolverine" and it won't be a sequel to the last Wolverine movie

Diablo Fett on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Thor has a little added benefit of being part of the Avengers series, so people who liked Iron Man might go see it as spinoff of sorts.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Thor also has the added benefit of being about a large man with a hammer shooting lightning at Giants, which leads me to suspect it will not be failing to draw in any punters.

Solar on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The Wolverine? That sounds awful.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    ThaneThane Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It'll change, it hasn't even begun shooting yet, it'll change names at least 3 times until it comes out

But at least hes distancing himself from the first one

Thane on
    286v37l.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Wishpig the quality of the movie has virtually no bearing on whether or not there's going to be a sequel. it's entirely dependent on it's performance at the box-office, and plenty of shitty movies have performed incredibly well despite terrible reviews.

in other news, Wolverine 2 is gonna be called "The Wolverine" and it won't be a sequel to the last Wolverine movie

Um, yeah, how good it is does very much impact the future of the series. Not always, and there are many different factors involved, but quality does play a major role.

Like at How to Train your Dragon. Had a fucking terrible opening. But was so good word of mouth led it to being highly successful. Because of it's quality and thanks almost solely to it, it's now getting a sequel and a TV series.

But Thor can't sell on name alone... like Wolverine even though it sucked predictably did pretty good because Wolverine is a highly popular character.

Although honestly I can't explain Ghost Rider 2 or Punisher 2. How? Why?

Wishpig on

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Punisher War Zone didn't do very well though. I think it made 15 million its first week.

Ghost Rider 2 exists only to keep the rights to the character away from Marvel.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Plus, apart from the rights dance, it's arguable that Punisher and Ghost Rider movies require much less money to make.

Linespider5 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I still think Ghost Rider is a strange superhero character to make into a film. I mean, of all the possible b-characters you might choose (and Ghost Rider is a b-character), you'd pick one who is so hard to transfer (aesthetically and storywise) to the screen?

Solar on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    My god. Keith is absolutely right about everything. Black is white, up is down

Bloods End on
  • Options
    liquiddarkliquiddark Odd magpie St. John's, NLRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Solar wrote: »
    I still think Ghost Rider is a strange superhero character to make into a film. I mean, of all the possible b-characters you might choose (and Ghost Rider is a b-character), you'd pick one who is so hard to transfer (aesthetically and storywise) to the screen?

His head is a skull and he rides a motorbike and both are on fire. You could probably just pitch that exact sentence anywhere in hollywood and they'd front you 10 million dollars for development sight unseen. There are things that you just know are going to work, FX wise, without having to concern yourself with the other elements of the property.

liquiddark on
    Current project: Contension, a realtime tactics game for mobile
    @oldmanhero .programming .web comic .everything
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    what's so hard about a biker with a flaming skull for a head

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I don't know, I guess it just looked wierd on the screen. Probably just me.

Solar on
  • Options
    ThaneThane Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    No, see, Ghost Rider is a cowboy movie. Simple as that. Except the protagonist has a flaming skull head and a motorcycle from hell.

Thane on
    286v37l.jpg
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Was Spectacular Spider-Man season 2 going to get a DVD release or is that lost now?

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Was Spectacular Spider-Man season 2 going to get a DVD release or is that lost now?

I'm pretty sure it got one in individual volumes.

Whether it gets a collected season set is probably a toss-up; I don't think the first season sold very well in either format, and the show has pretty much been forgotten at this point by the people who....uhh... aren't us.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    manjimanji Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    ghost rider 2 should be written by jason aaron and directed by robert rodriguez

manji on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Thane wrote: »
    No, see, Ghost Rider is a cowboy movie. Simple as that. Except the protagonist has a flaming skull head and a motorcycle from hell.
    Really, I think someone could probably make a cool revenge flick out of Ghost Rider. Dude is the spirit of vengeance after all. Just have the usual setup: Man and [loved one of choice] are killed, dude sells his soul to the devil to get revenge, murders his way through the people that wronged him, his adversary makes his own deal with the devil for the power to fight back, and then Ghost Rider's forced to fight a demonically-empowered enemy, and get out from under the Devil's control. Throw something in there about how his loved one's in Heaven and forever out of his reach, maybe add a little thing at the end where he's approached by the forces of Heaven to be their agent, and boom, you've got a movie.

It wouldn't really be entirely true to the comic, and it's basically Spawn meets the Crow, but I think that'd be an entertaining hour and a half. Of course, I love revenge films.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Revenge films do tend to be pretty cool, probably because Revenge itself is such an understandable motivator.

Solar on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    That's a fake picture, surely.

It's got such a huge noggin!

TexiKen on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    oh man

I need to see Turn off the Dark

need to

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    RadculaRadcula Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    hahaha look at spidey's legs, what the hell

it's like he sneezed blood all over his pants, or something

Radcula on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Couple of nibs and nobs I've picked up.

-The thor trailer is rumored to premier in front of the new Tron flick. Highly likely I think, given the general sort of tone of the two movies and the fact they're both owned by Disney.
    -Captain American wraps in 3 weeks.
    -Hulk TV series on ABC developed by Guillermo Del Toro

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    GankGank Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiink! I need proof! This is too awesome to be disproved later by someone with actual proof.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Gank wrote: »

Liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiink! I need proof! This is to awesome to be disproved later by someone with actual proof.

http://tv.ign.com/articles/113/1134716p1.html

Also teaming up with Battlestar galactica's executive producer... so YEAH!

Wishpig on

• Options
    GankGank Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Gank wrote: »

Liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiink! I need proof! This is to awesome to be disproved later by someone with actual proof.

http://tv.ign.com/articles/113/1134716p1.html

Also teaming up with Battlestar galactica's executive producer... so YEAH!

Excellent! Although "puppetry" worries me...

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    When they say puppetry, I imagine it's going to be stuff that's more like the Troll Market scene in Hellboy 2, than the Muppets.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    If Farscape taught me anything, it's that puppets these days are multi-million dollar animatronic prosthetics.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Fill-ins in comics, fill-ins in Broadway

Looks like someone will be needed to carry a few nights worth of performances a week as Peter Parker for the Spider-Man musical, on top of the stuntmen who are filling in during the Spider-Man scenes.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    If Farscape taught me anything, it's that puppets these days are multi-million dollar animatronic prosthetics.

God that was the best show ever. Fucking shame it ended way to soon :(

Wishpig on

• Options
    edited November 2010

God that was the best show ever. Fucking shame it ended way to soon :(

Tell me about it.

Some of the comics are pretty cool though.

Solar on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The comics are having a big cross over right now with Scorpious being more awesome ever and our favorite crew being royally frelled.

Bloods End on