As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Sometimes Books Are Turned Into Things that Move...

• GankGank Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Gustav wrote: »
    It also didn't pick up the Locke and Key pilot which is a bit of a bummer. I was certainly curious on that one.

D:Nooooooooooooooo

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • KING LITERATEKING LITERATE Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    NBC Passes on Wonder Woman

I for one am SHOCKED that this would get canned. I mean who wouldn't want Ally McBeal with superpowers? WHO?

KING LITERATE on
    Diamond FC: 3867 1354 8291
    TWITTER TWATS
  • MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Ally McWonderBra, Stripper For Hire

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm conflicted. I'm bummed that we won't be getting a big Wonder Woman push in mainstream pop culture, but stoked this probably-awful show won't be seeing the light of day. But then again, it was crap, but isn't a lot of TV? And don't people gobble it up and make millions off of it anyway? As bad as Smallville gets, it has its own fans and it isn't hurting Superman as a franchise.

I guess I was hoping that even though all the reports and previews indicated it was going to be shit, maybe they'd take that and form it into something good as the show went on.

Lux on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, I kind of wanted to see it. It wouldn't be the worst thing NBC has put on TV in the last couple years. Not even the worst superhero show.

It would've ran a season and then died. That could have been OK, just to see it.

HadjiQuest on
  • Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm actually happy that it won't see the light of day. From all the stuff I've seen and read about it, it just looked like it would have been seriously degrading to the character. I just have this horrible feeling that they'll go to the CW with this, and with Smallville ending this season it'll get picked up.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
    edited May 2011
    I'm actually happy that it won't see the light of day. From all the stuff I've seen and read about it, it just looked like it would have been seriously degrading to the character. I just have this horrible feeling that they'll go to the CW with this, and with Smallville ending this season it'll get picked up.

This seems plausible, but the show would have to be retooled almost entirely. They wouldn't be able to pay David E. Kelley money, and they'd also likely have to recast everyone to unknowns (or C-Listers) as well. Flatlinning unknowns like the people in Smallville or Supernatural; not up-and-commers poised for success like that lady who was playing WW.

HadjiQuest on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Well Smallville went out like it lived: mediocre and nonsensical.

Kyougu on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited May 2011
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Gustav wrote: »
    It also didn't pick up the Locke and Key pilot which is a bit of a bummer. I was certainly curious on that one.

I was looking forward to Locke & Key instead of buying the comics, like with Game of Thrones, but now I guess I have to give the books a look.

Read the books you dingus

Garlic Bread on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Did Welling don the suit?

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Sort of?

You never see him in the suit up close

every shot is a distance one

Furu on
    edited May 2011
    Yah, I checked out after season five. They should have just ended the series after that season, and brought the entire cast back in a Metropolis-based, Superman television series, complete with costume and flying. It wouldn't have made the show great, but it definately would have been better than dragging their feet for an additional five years like they did with this monstrosity. I swear to god if I heard Tom Welling whine about secrets one more time I would have punched my TV.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Smallville was terrible

It really was

It was just the worst show and it fucked up Superman which is just hurtful

Solar on
  • Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Smallville was still better then Superman Returns. Yeah, I went there.

Seriously though, the ending was of the same standard as the pilot and was as good as you could expect from a second-rate series on a third rate network. Erica Durance was a better Lois Lane then Kate Bosworth, but thats not saying much. Welling was not as good as Brandon Routh, but Michael Rosenbaum is the best Lex Luthor(live-action) ever!

The few scenes with Alison Mack and Michael Rosenbaum where the best.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    your brain is probably broken.

you may want to seek medical attention.

Angry on
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    http://www.aintitcool.com/node/49648
    Dark of the Moon reviewed, it's apparently the best of the three

Antimatter on
  • Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    while this isn't necessarily truly comic-book related, this synopsis struck me as more than a little familiar
    Speaking of “Lost,” ABC also just greenlit to series “Once Upon A Time,” from longtime “Lost” writer-producers (and “Tron Legacy” screenwriters Edward Kitsis and Adam Horowitz) about a New England town called Storybrooke that’s secretly populated by fairy tale characters. It stars Raphael Sbarge as Jiminy Cricket, Robert Carlyle as Rumplestiltskin, Ginnifer Goodwin as Snow White and Jennifer Morrison as Snow’s bounty-hunter daughter Emma.

HMMMMMMMMMMM

Diablo Fett on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Aggghhh, like Fables, but worse.

If Ginnifer Goodwin is playing Snow White, then they can't be taking too many liberties with the Disney versions of the characters either.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited May 2011
    while this isn't necessarily truly comic-book related, this synopsis struck me as more than a little familiar
    Speaking of “Lost,” ABC also just greenlit to series “Once Upon A Time,” from longtime “Lost” writer-producers (and “Tron Legacy” screenwriters Edward Kitsis and Adam Horowitz) about a New England town called Storybrooke that’s secretly populated by fairy tale characters. It stars Raphael Sbarge as Jiminy Cricket, Robert Carlyle as Rumplestiltskin, Ginnifer Goodwin as Snow White and Jennifer Morrison as Snow’s bounty-hunter daughter Emma.

HMMMMMMMMMMM

It's funny, because ABC was at one point developing a pilot for Fables, and now two or three networks have picked up similar pitches to the Fables idea, with that ABC one up there sounding wayyy too close. If I were Willingham, I would probably pursue legal action.

HadjiQuest on
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm pretty sure he can't. If ABC bought the rights to develop a Fables TV series they probably put a clause in the contract that essentially says "We own this for tv, if we end up making a different show that is very similar you can't do anything about it."

I forget what it is called, but it is fairly common.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Antimatter wrote: »
    http://www.aintitcool.com/node/49648
    Dark of the Moon reviewed, it's apparently the best of the three

I will not give Mr. Bay any more of my money, regardless of how good his next steaming turd is. I refuse! :x

Guek on
    edited May 2011
    When I first saw Transformers I was expecting to love it just as much as I loved the cartoon when I was a kid, let me start by saying that was my fault. The Transformers series are movies that you literally have to turn your brain off to enjoy, and even then it's a stretch to accomplish. Bay's reliance on one-liners, sexploitation, and explosions make it an accomplishment to get through a movie without yelling at the screen "what the fuck is this, why are you doing that?", but I'm convinced that finding a way to enjoy his movies does exist and dammit I will find it!

And that aintitcool review reminds of the all the reviews for Revenge of the Sith that claimed it was the best of the prequels. Just because it's the most pleasurable of bowl movements doesn't make it stink any less.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
  • Magna InfernoMagna Inferno Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Because the original transformer cartoons had such fine thought provoking storylines right?
    oh wait....

Magna Inferno on
    ultimates-1.png
    edited May 2011
    Beast Wars, Animated, and now Prime are at least decent

Antimatter on
    edited May 2011
    Because the original transformer cartoons had such fine thought provoking storylines right?
    oh wait....

How dare you sir. I demand satisfaction!

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    edited May 2011
    the 80's movie was at least extremely quotable

Antimatter on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    To be completely fair to Aintitcool, the majority of their reviews for Transformers 2 were universally negative.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    No Dinobots = not seeing it.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I dig the Transformers movies and look forward to this third one

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited May 2011
    I just hope that they keep the racist twin-bots to a minimum, not that I found them to uncomfortably racist, I just found them to be uncomfortably awkward to watch.

And what exactly do you dig about the Transformers movies TLB, I'm not criticizing your taste but I am curious as to what you see in it?

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    edited May 2011
    The first one had too much Shia Lebouf doing really awful slapstick and too little transformers.

The second one had enough transformers, but a terrible story and execution, and poor characterization.

I'd see a third one, but mainly because I'm a rube.

HadjiQuest on
    edited May 2011
    apparently there were spoilery pages of the dark of the moon comic adaptation on amazon.com before they were removed

putting the apparent twist behind spoiler tags so I don't ruin it for the people who give a damn (hah)
    seriously, massive spoilers
    Sentinel Prime, the dude who was revived, is the guy who starts the massive invasion of Earth so its resources can be utilized for the good of the Cybertronian race

Shockwave dies like a bitch

Antimatter on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I just hope that they keep the racist twin-bots to a minimum, not that I found them to uncomfortably racist, I just found them to be uncomfortably awkward to watch.

And what exactly do you dig about the Transformers movies TLB, I'm not criticizing your taste but I am curious as to what you see in it?

you would not be the first person to criticize my taste

I do not take offense to it because I got the most eclectic taste of anyone you will ever meet and doggies who know me can attest

as for the transformers movies?

I love them because they are astoundingly dumb.

Almost so that they reach the brink of genius in how dumb they are.

They take the basic conceit of robots that turn into cars and planes and also fight each other, and instead of leaving that dumb kernel of an idea alone, they add like a billion more layers of even stupider things to it. It is comedy gold. And the bad comedy is even funnier because the unintentional stuff is even funnier than that, if it makes sense.

They are masterpieces of ineptitude.

Ed Wood couldn't do them better.

And in between the rampant idiocy, there are giant robots fighting each other.

There is nothing not to love for me in these movies.

They are just so fun.

But impossible to watch twice.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Oh heck, now I want to go back in time and make Ed Wood produce a giant robot movie.

Wildcat on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'd like the Transformers movies, if the fight scenes were remotely fun to watch. Without that, you're just left with Shia Lebouf screaming at people to run, his character's super-annoying parents, and a bunch of one-dimensional side characters.

That said, the forest fight scene in the second one was pretty awesome.

Still, I'd rather watch the animated movie, which I unironically love.

Munch on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    If it helps his parents aren't in the new one.

Furu on
  • Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Furu wrote: »

the AICN review says they're still in it, just not as much

Diablo Fett on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Furu wrote: »
    Pretty sure I saw John Turturro in the new trailer, though.

Great actor, but his character's been awful in both movies.

Munch on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The first Transformers movie was cool because:

a) Bumblebee throwing out an s-bomb for no real reason made your parents wonder what the hell you were watching to begin with.
    b) Stan Bush and The Touch
    c) a kid sees Optimus die, it really stays with them.

TexiKen on
    edited May 2011
    Such heroic nonsense.

And I think it was one of the Witwickys that dropped the s-bomb

Antimatter on